Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

The Final - and superstition!

Read 6041 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      The Final - and superstition!
      May 06, 2007 01:11:40 am
      Just wondering how many of you are all a bit superstitious when it comes to Liverpool,

or if you think it is a load of bull?

I probably won't get a ticket for Greece so I intend watching the game in the same pub in Liverpool with the same group of friends that I did for the 2005 European Cup Final.

Anybody else (who isn't going) planning on doing exactly the same things...or not?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,875 posts | 6809 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: The Final - and superstition!
      Reply #1: May 06, 2007 01:28:06 am
      I'll be doing what I always do KK....watching it on my red couch, with my red boxer shorts on, my red nike t-shirt and my white with red nike tick socks on.....COME ON YOU REDS
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2: May 06, 2007 02:38:03 am
       I have a 26 year old LFC scarf that I wrap around my hand and hold to my mouth! It seems to work though it need a wash....think the old bad breathe is killing it though!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: May 06, 2007 09:57:09 am
      I'm hoping to go, but still have my superstition week in week out, my scarf is held together with muck !!  I still refuse to wash it - my mum even wanted to buy me one to go in my 'christmas stocking' but i refused point blank  ;) ;D ;D ;D   
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: May 06, 2007 11:26:31 am
      Just wondering how many of you are all a bit superstitious when it comes to Liverpool,

or if you think it is a load of bull?

I probably won't get a ticket for Greece so I intend watching the game in the same pub in Liverpool with the same group of friends that I did for the 2005 European Cup Final.

Anybody else (who isn't going) planning on doing exactly the same things...or not?
      I can't, I was in a pub by the Milennium Stadium, you guys might know it, The Queens Vaults?
      With some of the boys from school. As I can't get home for it to watch it with my dad, although if I was I'd be in The Victoria Park, I'm gonna be in my Uni's Student's Union - Never mind, I watched the FA Cup final there ;)
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: May 06, 2007 12:30:59 pm
      I'm hoping to go, but still have my superstition week in week out, my scarf is held together with muck !!  I still refuse to wash it - my mum even wanted to buy me one to go in my 'christmas stocking' but I refused point blank  ;) ;D ;D ;D   

I'll buy you a new one from Athens if we win smigs.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: May 06, 2007 02:16:59 pm
      Aw, thanks Tommo, hope i'm lucky enough to go, then i'll meet you there and you can give me it in person !!!  ;D  :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ:
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #7: May 09, 2007 04:11:19 pm
      I'm really getting a bit superstitious about it all.....my pals think I am daft!!!
      Going to watch it in Yates's in Liverpool I think.....same as 2005 and uefa cup 2001.....I was with the same friend on both of those occasions but.....she doesnt want to come with me this time as is a Man U fan and for obvious reasons is slightly gutted that they are out!!  So I am taking my sis along with me for moral support.....I darent go to a different pub cos I think Yates's is lucky for me.....also when I knew that the final was to be played on the 23rd weeks/months ago I just knew that we would make the final as the number 23 is my superstitious number........its all very weird!! ha!!!
       :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: May 09, 2007 04:21:59 pm
      Make sure you go to Yates' then Kirsty!

I am a bit superstious as well. If I'm watching the match in the house, I always have to have something LFC near me for when the ball goes out of play. I don't know why. ??? Just have to.

Don't you think it's funny the way the date of the final is on the 23rd. 2 * 3 = 6!!!
      kirsty0817
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #9: May 09, 2007 04:32:53 pm
      I like that, 2*3 are infact 6!!!!!!
      The whole night will drive me mad.....watching them literally makes me feel ill!!!!!  Until of course the game is over and we win and funnily enough I feel great then!! ha!!!!
      Yep its got to be Yates's, I can risk going to other bars before and after but for the game it has to be there......just got to keep with the superstition tradition!!!!
       8)
      Thunderlara
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 107 posts |
      Reply #10: May 09, 2007 04:35:48 pm
      My superstition is never predict the outcome
      If you say yeah yeah we're gonna win that's for sure ...it usually ends up the other way
      so before the match no predictions
      just be modest
      I think if you predict it brings bad luck
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: May 09, 2007 04:55:49 pm
      My Superstitions keep changing! They work for a while and then fail :'(. But myself and my good lady wife have one during penalty shootouts and so far its worked ;D, Can't tell you as it may not work, but it's nothing  pervy ::) honestly. Even works in the Pub.
      I hope all our superstions work on the 23rd, how many of you have your excuses all ready for the 24th and beyond, personally I have the whole week off :D, just hope I can enjoy it.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #12: May 09, 2007 05:35:10 pm
      Its got to be the same pub in town, as 2005 for me............thing is I cant remember which one I ended up in???????
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #13: May 10, 2007 01:00:27 pm
      My superstition is never predict the outcome
      If you say yeah yeah we're gonna win that's for sure ...it usually ends up the other way
      so before the match no predictions
      just be modest
      I think if you predict it brings bad luck

exactly what mine is, for some reason i think me saying a score out loud will influence the cosmos to change who will win it ;D.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #14: May 10, 2007 01:12:01 pm
      Oh yes, i'll be going to the same pub with the same set of mates that i watched it in 2005, if i can remember what i was wearing i'll wear the same clothes too
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #15: May 10, 2007 01:18:34 pm
      If I watch it in the house then everyone has to assume the position they were in last time and seating arrangements can get tricky with a cat and dog involved but I have found a small amount of sedative in their tea and I can sit them where I like, the cat and dog that is!.(note to animal lovers I was joking, its the wife I drug!)
      In the house nobody is allowed to wear a Liverpool shirt on a match day as it has jinxed the team once or twice in the past, so at the final whistle it looks like a quick change artists convention is taking place.
      Does anyone else watch the match with someone who screams, twitches jumps around and generally looks like they are going to have a seizure even when its just a throw in?
      Because I tell you if my Missus put in as much effort into bedroom activities as she does watching the match I would be dead in a week! ;D
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2007 01:22:17 pm by Glenbuck »
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #16: May 10, 2007 01:24:15 pm
      I'll be doing what I always do KK....watching it on my red couch, with my red boxer shorts on, my red nike t-shirt and my white with red nike tick socks on.....COME ON YOU REDS

you do know are kit is made by adidas dont you??? ;)

home 06/07 liverpool shirt with a white adidas trackie top , Jeans, White nike air rifts with the red socks ;)

Cafe in town for 10.30 for breakfast, weather spoons from 11-12am to get started on it then 12pm till 1/2am in walkabout then home and watch it all over again on tv/sky sports news ;)

come on!! :)

Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #17: May 10, 2007 02:09:47 pm
      I like that, 2*3 are infact 6!!!!!!
      The whole night will drive me mad.....watching them literally makes me feel ill!!!!!  Until of course the game is over and we win and funnily enough I feel great then!! ha!!!!
      Yep its got to be Yates's, I can risk going to other bars before and after but for the game it has to be there......just got to keep with the superstition tradition!!!!
       8)

but 2+3 are infact 5 , so i wouldn`t trust in that one ;)
      anyway...i don`t even dare to make any predictions, and i don`t think it has any sense at all, it just makes it worse if they don`t live up to your expectations/predictions
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: May 10, 2007 03:50:20 pm
      If I watch it in the house then everyone has to assume the position they were in last time.
      Does anyone else watch the match with someone who screams, twitches jumps around and generally looks like they are going to have a seizure even when its just a throw in?
      Because I tell you if my Missus put in as much effort into bedroom activities as she does watching the match I would be dead in a week! ;D

:laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:
      I would suggest watching the match in the bedroom Glenbuck, but that's a defo no no isn't it mate  ;)

Same here though, if watching the match at home I HAVE to be in the same speck on the couch.

jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #19: May 10, 2007 04:03:31 pm

i twitch like hell ;D every time someone has a shot, i also clamp my jaw down so its clenched as hard as possible its a wonder ive got any teeth left.

before i leave to go the pub to watch the match i have to play fields of anfield road, ring of fire, and youll never walk alone before i go anywere.

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: May 10, 2007 04:12:05 pm
      :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:
      I would suggest watching the match in the bedroom Glenbuck, but that's a defo no no isn't it mate  ;)

Same here though, if watching the match at home I HAVE to be in the same speck on the couch.

On the run up to Istanbul I was ill but still managed to sit in my “speck” for the games, we win them all and get to the final. Then some knob at the hospital decides to operate on me the day before the final I agreed to it on the condition I was a day case and could go home to watch the game. I’m sat in my usual speck in agony (no it wasn’t piles!) and we go three down so I thought oh well lets keep the score respectable and I went back to bed to watch the second half and hey presto the rest is history. So if we are losing at any point in Athens I will vacate my seat and try the bedroom approach my only concern is should I have an operation again the day before to keep my superstitions alive?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: May 10, 2007 04:18:45 pm
      On the run up to Istanbul I was ill but still managed to sit in my “speck” for the games, we win them all and get to the final. Then some knob at the hospital decides to operate on me the day before the final I agreed to it on the condition I was a day case and could go home to watch the game. I’m sat in my usual speck in agony (no it wasn’t piles!) and we go three down so I thought oh well lets keep the score respectable and I went back to bed to watch the second half and hey presto the rest is history. So if we are losing at any point in Athens I will vacate my seat and try the bedroom approach my only concern is should I have an operation again the day before to keep my superstitions alive?
      You could go the hospital the day before and see if a nurse could perform a simple procedure on you? ;) I reckon you might just get away with that like...
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #22: May 11, 2007 03:05:51 pm
      Never lose a final .... except Heysel rubber !!
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #23: May 16, 2007 02:24:57 am
      Ok... Its over midnight so its official - one week until final day. On the night 1st of May I said Id give myself 14 days with joy before letting the nerves out the last week. And it almost worked too. Ive had two great weeks celebrating beating the chavs (especially Mourinho!!) and being in the Champions League final -AGAIN, second time in three years!!! Only times Ive felt the nerves (read panic!!) when its been talking about the 23. Ive been trying to avoid that. But now its here. The last horrible week.. :P Gonna try and live through it..!! How superstitious I am, I dont know. Some I guess. But its more around the game itself. I believe that having the 2nd half kickoff gives luck, but that turns out wrong sometimes.. Singing You'll never walk alone before ofcourse, and then I cant move during the game. I cant put my hands infront of my eyes or close my eyes under penalties or freekicks (doing this gave frightful results earlier!!!) and some friends have this thing before kickoff on touching a "This is Anfield" sign in the ceiling above us where we are sitting in the pub. Other than that I dont know. Im gonna wear my LFC shirt everyday now the last week, for success, but for final day Im not sure... Two years ago I wore my old shirt, an away one, green and white and black. Should I wear it this time as well?? Or my new shirt, a red home one from this season? The men will be playing in red.. Uhh... :-\ But Im not watching the game at the same place as 05, and not with the same people either.. Will I jinx it all because of this??? I dont have any underwear for luck or other set clothing like socks or hat or I dont know. Hmmm.. Too late to make up a luck bringing charm now I guess.. :P ;)
      Wish I had longer to prepare myself for this, and at the same time I cant wait!!!! COME ON YOU REDS!!!! ;D
      lalalaaa..
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: May 17, 2007 06:04:45 pm
      I'm not watching it the same place either :(

And I wore a different shirt to the one I wore. I have to wear my red one, I brought it back from home so I could be in the same colour as them. I think I'll wear red underwear, and jeans. No idea what trousers/skirt I wore last time?! I was with my bf and some guy mates last time, in The Queens Vaults, this time I'll be with a few people from uni and in the Student's Union. Aaaargh Watt you have made me nervous!! I have an exam before the final, and one 2 days after, I just can't cope!!! Aaaaaaargh!!
      Serenity
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • Red Red Everywhere, and they can't do a thing
      Reply #25: May 18, 2007 12:21:35 am
      This is my first final (of any sort).

My LFC shirt ha snot gotten here as yet.

I feel like i HAVE to have it for next Wednesday....
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: May 18, 2007 12:30:19 am
      This is my first final (of any sort).

My LFC shirt ha snot gotten here as yet.

I feel like I HAVE to have it for next Wednesday....

As long as you have something red to wear, or something red close to you to look at, you'll be ok. That's probably my main superstition.
      -iye-hoopster
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #27: May 21, 2007 11:35:33 am
      i heard this on the radio in scotland last night

hillsbourough happened on 15th april

liverpool have won the big one 5 times
      this year would add one more to it

1+5 = 15

if you take the first letter from each city the reds have won it in you get

a.p.r.i.l spooky or what!!!!!

Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #28: May 21, 2007 03:52:17 pm

1+5=15 ;)

Im so excited now. and at the same time I cant think of the match. When I do its almost like this vacuum occurs inside my head :-\
      But still I think we can do it on wednesday, Im more confident in this than I was before the Chelsea legs.

:boxing:
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #29: May 21, 2007 09:25:47 pm
      Going to one of my mates who is also a Liverpool fan,watch the last Champion League Final with him,so fingers crossed history will repeat itself...... :666: :champ:
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30: May 22, 2007 11:52:32 am
      I'm not watching it the same place either :(

And I wore a different shirt to the one I wore. I have to wear my red one, I brought it back from home so I could be in the same colour as them. I think I'll wear red underwear, and jeans. No idea what trousers/skirt I wore last time?! I was with my bf and some guy mates last time, in The Queens Vaults, this time I'll be with a few people from uni and in the Student's Union.
      Does anyone think it will be my fault if we lose?! :'(
      taylor
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #31: May 22, 2007 01:08:05 pm
      hello I'm gutted as i wont see the champs final as i have to work, come on you reds
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: May 22, 2007 01:13:58 pm
      Mate, call in sick, for the love of God!!
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #33: May 22, 2007 04:36:51 pm

Know what youre saying, Nic. Im thinking the same thing too, hehe. Ahhh..... :P :-\
      Ive decided to wear my new shirt tomorrow, to blend in with all the RED. So Im in the same situation like you, Different clothes, different place to watch and different mates to watch with..

But I can try to comfort you with this, Nicola:
      I watched the last leg vs the chavs in this pub Ive NEVER watched any football before. And I didnt drink any beer (had streptococcus down my throat and had to eat antibiotics  :P)  I was with a friend that dont give a sh*t about Liverpool (reeeally tiring!!) and there was a bug in my baked potato (a centipede!!!!!)
      In other words, I spent the night as I normally never would. With a Spurs-fan, not getting pissed, on drugs, in a strange place, eating bugs... Maybe it means luck to not do the same as 05..?!?!?
      We can hope, Nic! Enjoy tomorrow!  :-*
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: May 22, 2007 10:33:08 pm
      That makes me feel a bit better :) Enjoy yourself :-*
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #35: May 23, 2007 10:21:09 am
      Watching it at the same place as 2 years ago, same shirt...had to book a half day so I could see the game. Worse case scenario that I could handle is 1-0 to AC at half time :-\
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #36: May 23, 2007 02:33:02 pm
      hello I'm gutted as I wont see the champs final as I have to work, come on you reds

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Do as Nic says, call in sick or pull a fast one in work, i'd just walk out if it was me - poor planning that mate !!  Hope you get to see it  ;) ;D
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #37: May 23, 2007 02:53:40 pm
      hello I'm gutted as I wont see the champs final as I have to work, come on you reds

Either get another job or tell them you have had a family bereavement or go in but cry off sick an hour into your shift after chucking up in a waste basket,but dont under any circumstances miss the Final for work!!!!..... I myself also refuse to work when Emmerdale is on. ;)

I for one will blame you totally if we lose ;D
      « Last Edit: May 23, 2007 02:56:15 pm by Glenbuck »
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #38: May 23, 2007 02:55:37 pm
      I will wear my Champions League 2005 shirt,drink lots of Stella and enjoy the game on Sky Sports...exactly as I did in 2005.

Will wear knee pads this time though to protect me as I dive to the floor in despair as we loose a tackle or miss by inches.

2-1 to the us....bringing it home for a sixth time!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,875 posts | 6809 
      Reply #39: May 24, 2007 07:08:30 am
      I did everything the same as in 2005...so superstition can go and get fcuked :(
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: May 24, 2007 02:04:59 pm
      I did everything the same as in 2005...so superstition can go and get fcuked :(

:D Even though it's sad and I agree with you Aussie, that made me laugh mate.
      I done mostly the same things as 2005 as well.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,875 posts | 6809 
      Reply #41: May 26, 2007 04:00:52 am
      thanks redkenny mate, when we win the Premiership next season fingers & everything else crossed, I'm not gonna believe in superstition ;)

Quick Reply