Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani?

Read 20534 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Rafa choosing Lucas over Aquilani?
      Reply #138: Dec 09, 2009 06:04:54 am
      ya rafa's cautious...

not with aquilani as I don't think he will start even when he's 100% fit.. but with the whole -I-will-use-tow-defensive-midfielders-to-protect-defence-approach.

Or the ill-use-the-last-two-midfielders-i-have-fit approach?
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #139: Dec 09, 2009 07:02:30 am
      ;D..nice one..

but do you actually think albert aqua will start against arsenole??

i don't think so.. he will barely start 10 mathces this season.. rafa is just soooo set on make lucas an household name.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #140: Dec 09, 2009 11:38:36 am
      I work in Italy alot, and they tell me that he is a quality player, with loads of technical ability and is good at spreading the play.  Their only concern is that he is not very physical and the premiership is!

I watched the reserve game that he played in (about 2 years ago now) and you could see some quality there.  he never wasted a ball and delivered 2 perfect long balls across the pitch and completely switched the play.  we don't seem to have that at the moment.  we don't need a lot in midfield to make the step up to what we expect, but a little bit of vision and touch will certainly help the team.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #141: Dec 09, 2009 11:42:06 am
      I'm starting to get a little bit worried that Benitez thinks this lad is sh*t and doesn't want to risk the humiliation of him playing. Hope I'm wrong.

Trust JD to come out with something like that!

As if people needed more reason to worry at the moment! :D

Doomsayer! ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #142: Dec 09, 2009 12:53:43 pm
      I work in Italy alot, and they tell me that he is a quality player, with loads of technical ability and is good at spreading the play.  Their only concern is that he is not very physical and the premiership is!

I watched the reserve game that he played in (about 2 years ago now) and you could see some quality there.  he never wasted a ball and delivered 2 perfect long balls across the pitch and completely switched the play.  we don't seem to have that at the moment.  we don't need a lot in midfield to make the step up to what we expect, but a little bit of vision and touch will certainly help the team.
      He is well received in Italy and they are complimentary about his ability but he was known even over there for being injury prone or maybe he was rushed back into training a wee bit too early - it could be that his system takes a little longer to recuperate from any trauma. This is reason enough for the manager to be ultra cautious in putting him back in the fray as well as which of course are the physical demands of the premier league in comparison to the Italian style of play.
      Somebody has spoken before about Rafas' career being prematurely ended by a catastrophic injury and how this might affect his take on Aquilanos' condition, all these facts give an insight into the managers mind set and throw some light on him erring on the side of caution.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #143: Dec 09, 2009 01:18:46 pm
      Aquilani's nickname in Italy was "piedini a cristallo". Lets hope he doesn't get the same nickname here.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #144: Dec 09, 2009 01:28:51 pm
      Aquilani's nickname in Italy was "piedini a cristallo". Lets hope he doesn't get the same nickname here.

My Italian is about as good as Brad Pitt's in Inglourious Basterds...what does ''piedini a cristallo'' mean? :D
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #145: Dec 09, 2009 01:31:44 pm
      Sorry,Matt. Should have translated it. It means Crystal legs.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #146: Dec 09, 2009 01:31:57 pm
      I think it means Crystal feet ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #147: Dec 09, 2009 01:38:17 pm
      Spot on mate and a very poetic description
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #148: Dec 09, 2009 01:39:52 pm
      Spot on mate and a very poetic description

Wasn't too sure I haven't spoke any Italian in 16 years :D
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #149: Dec 09, 2009 01:53:50 pm
      I always understood "piedi" to mean feet and "piedini" to mean legs. My mistake.
      Just checked. My first reply was right.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #150: Dec 09, 2009 01:59:31 pm
      I always understood "piedi" to mean feet and "piedini" to mean legs. My mistake.
      Just checked. My first reply was right.

Like I said I was unsure 16 years since I spoke Italian ;)
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #151: Dec 09, 2009 03:49:04 pm
      I know alot of Italian swear words if anyone is interested.  could be useful on topics about our owners!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #152: Dec 09, 2009 03:59:33 pm
      I know alot of Italian swear words if anyone is interested.  could be useful on topics about our owners!

Why they are American ?, lying cheating cunting bas**rds translates from English to American as lying cheating cunting bas**rds, just with a different Twang depending on which state. ;)
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #153: Dec 09, 2009 06:54:57 pm
      I know, but like most things Italian, even swearing seems to have a lot of style attached to it!  It sounds very sophisticated when you hear it, but is really very offensive..

We are more off topic now than a Chris waddle penalty!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #154: Dec 09, 2009 08:41:30 pm
      I have a feeling this thread may be coming to an end soon...
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #155: Dec 09, 2009 10:00:23 pm
      I have a feeling this thread may be coming to an end soon...

No Ive just saved it with this WORLD EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!

Ive heard from a really good source that there is one primary reason why aqua isnt starting ahead of Lucas and its a financial reason. Have been informed that so far we've only payed 3m eur to Roma and the first series of payments begin AFTER Aqua has started his first premier league game. there was an injury clause in the deal saying no payments would be made until he was fit and ready for the PL which is where we make our money and therefore we havent paid an extra dime yet. My source promises me that we wont see Aqua start a PL game until after the new year even if masch and lucas break their legs as it will count against our spending this year. We'l be seeing him in January for sure.

Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #156: Dec 09, 2009 10:17:27 pm
      No Ive just saved it with this WORLD EXCLUSIVE NEWS!!

Ive heard from a really good source that there is one primary reason why aqua isnt starting ahead of Lucas and its a financial reason. Have been informed that so far we've only payed 3m eur to Roma and the first series of payments begin AFTER Aqua has started his first premier league game. there was an injury clause in the deal saying no payments would be made until he was fit and ready for the PL which is where we make our money and therefore we havent paid an extra dime yet. My source promises me that we wont see Aqua start a PL game until after the new year even if masch and lucas break their legs as it will count against our spending this year. We'l be seeing him in January for sure.

sh*t.

Hope that's not true. Aquilani showed flashes of brilliance tonight and a creativity we have been sorely lacking. When he tried that drive from miles out I had a big grin on my face. Of course he did fatigue later in the match but that's to be expected, as long as we can keep him out of the injury room, he should make us one step better towards where we were last season.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #157: Dec 09, 2009 10:33:44 pm
      It's a shame that our manager has to run the team with his hands tied, his mouth shut(as in the contract he recently signed) and glasses taken away(no point of good scouting system if you can't buy the player you want) and meet the expectation of us fans.

It's not sympathy, it's unbelievable.

F*** the YANKS.... IRWT

YNWA lads!! Ti's time for us to get behind the team and lend our support to the RAFAlution!

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #158: Dec 09, 2009 10:37:32 pm
      Bet we see him against Arsenal, even if only from the bench. ;)
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #159: Dec 09, 2009 11:40:45 pm
      Bet we see him against Arsenal, even if only from the bench. ;)

yeh bench is allowed and doest cost us. Just sub Lucas after the 1st minute :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6974 
      Reply #160: Dec 09, 2009 11:48:51 pm
      yeh bench is allowed and doest cost us. Just sub Lucas after the 1st minute :D

Sub Kuyt more like.

If the above is true, and it wouldn't surprise me, then Hicks and Gillett are an even bigger pair of clowns than even I thought possible.

Quick Reply