Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Europa League - who cares?

Read 84051 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: The Europa League - who cares?
      Reply #69: Nov 25, 2009 10:07:51 am
      I'm not being disrespectfull, like I said it would be great to win it, but I didn't expect to be in this competition and I didn't particularly want it associated with LFC. I've already mentioned Fulham, no disrespect to them either but I didn't expect or want to be in the same european competition as Fulham FC in all honesty.

Now that were in it then ofcourse I would want to win it, I'm just not as excited as some people on here are.  

Im not that overwhelmed by it all either and I got a topic locked earlier in the month when some joker mentioned the Europa League.

What would you like to be associated with?

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy formerly known as the LDV Vans trophy..............and we know what happened to them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #70: Nov 25, 2009 10:36:06 am
      Premeir league, champions league,  Europa League, screensport supercup! Whatever competition our club enters I want them to win and I want them to want to win it. So for the moany gets on here complaining at being in this competition grow up and get behind youir team and while your at it check your history books and see what winning this in the past has kickstarted for the club!
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #71: Nov 25, 2009 10:49:59 am
      This trophy has indeed been a stepping stone to great things for Liverpool in the past and will be again after we won it in 1976 we went on to win the league and European cup in 1977 so if we win it this year maybe history will repeat itself next season.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #72: Nov 25, 2009 11:00:19 am
      I think fans (me included) had too high expectations from this season after last year I thought we'd kick on an strengthen (almost think we punched beyond our weight lst seaon). Rafa has had the 'rug pulled' on transfer fees so we're a bit f**ed. Look at how much Spurs/ManC have spent its impossible to match that.  Our performances in CL group stage were mixed but well below standards we expect especially defensively.
      We have to face facts (as Carra said) and get on with it, I just hope the senior (top) players don't start getting unsettled and give their total commitment to the club now to fix this season.  >:(  
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #73: Nov 25, 2009 11:05:55 am
      For teams like Marseille, Atletico Madrid and stuff going out of the Champions League to Europa League isn't that bad. But we are Liverpool FC. Last season we beat Real Madrid home and away in the last 16, we gave everything we had against Chelsea, but now we got knocked out of the league by teams like Lyon and Fiorentina? I know that they are great teams, but compared to Liverpool, they are just football teams. So now, we must reach at least the final of Europa League. We can't go out of the league in the quarterfinals or semifinals. Liverpool FC is just too big.
      [/quote

Yes all that was done with Rafa at the helm.

I am sure 80% of the fans on this forum should  be thankful and grateful to Rafa for making us a force in Europe.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #74: Nov 25, 2009 11:08:35 am
      Just though I'd share this with you guys.  :lmao: :lmao: Let's laugh!

I love the last comment, haha.
      Just show how pathetic scums are - celebrating the misfortunes of a rival with damange done BY ANOTHER TEAM.

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009 11:13:41 am by Adryan »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #75: Nov 25, 2009 11:12:07 am
      This morning there were at least a dozen Chelsea fans who rejoiced and laughed at our knock out.

It is good to know that deep inside they are petrified of us.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #76: Nov 25, 2009 11:13:48 am
      Pleased I don't go on to Facebook after our results.  I laughed loudly when the Mancs lost comprehensively in the CL final last year to Barca.  Hoping for the same this season :lmao:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #77: Nov 25, 2009 11:14:33 am
      Pleased I don't go on to Facebook after our results.  I laughed loudly when the Mancs lost comprehensively in the CL final last year to Barca.  Hoping for the same this season :lmao:

I am actually hoping they get knocked out by Lyon or Fiorentina.   ;)
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #78: Nov 25, 2009 11:15:34 am
      This morning there were at least a dozen Chelsea fans who rejoiced and laughed at our knock out.

It is good to know that deep inside they are petrified of us.

Yes well they haven't won it yet.  Lets hope its a competition that still eludes them by May.  We won it 5 times...HA
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #79: Nov 25, 2009 11:18:09 am
      I am actually hoping they get knocked out by Lyon or Fiorentina.   ;)

Yes Lyon the weaker team that would be dandy!   ;D
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #80: Nov 25, 2009 11:22:28 am
      This trophy has indeed been a stepping stone to great things for Liverpool in the past and will be again after we won it in 1976 we went on to win the league and European cup in 1977 so if we win it this year maybe history will repeat itself next season.

With respect, football has come a long way since the 70's, money wasn't such an issue back then. Boro almost won it, where are they now?

As much as i hate to say it, but we are on course to be the next Leeds Utd as things stand right now.

I haven't seen anything yet, and it could be my bluenose mate winding me up, but apparantly Gerrard has more or less said hes going if LFC don't finish in the top 4 this season?

If Gerrard and torres do 1, likewise Mascherano, We are in deep s'hit because we have no money to get a replacement anywhere near as good as them. Best we could hope for would be nicky butt on loan.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #81: Nov 25, 2009 11:29:42 am
      Of course I want Liverpool to win this, like I expect us to every competition. I see those who were brushing the League Cup off are some of the biggest ones to make out this is some major trophy. But truth is, it isn't a major trophy. It's a trophy no big club should be in, and we are meant to be a big club.

When we won it in the past, it was a big trophy. Not only for us but for European football generally. It was the second and third best clubs from each nation competeting while the winners of their respective League went into the European Cup. Plus 73 was our first European trophy and 76 was the signs of Paisley's side really coming together - proven by two European Cups in the following two years. Then Houllier's winning side of 01 was amazing because we had been starved of European success for so long. And, like in 76, this was a side growing to take on world football. Unfortunately we didn't.

Nowadays this competition is for 5th, 6th and 7th best sides from our league. Is that what we are? I mean for fucks sake, it's such a poxy competition the winners of the Fair Play award get a chance to play in it. That's how City ended up in it last year if I remember rightly. And this current crop of Liverpool players is not looking to establish itself like we were in 73, 76 and 01. Because of our, fantastic, runs over the last five years or so in Europe's premeir competition we're already (re)established as one of Europe's big boys.

It's a disgrace we're in it and I think the rules should be changed for those who get knocked out in the group stages of the Champions League. That should be it for them, their European adventure should be over for the season. We get rewarded with a place in the Europa League because of our inability to progress in the Champions League. That's simply not right. We, and every other side who gets knocked out at this stage, should be out of Europe for the year. I also think to bring some respect back to this competition it should go back to second and third from the League entering it with the Champions League being for Champions. And then the League Cup and FA Cup winners returning to the old Cup Winners Cup. But I've strayed from the point a little here.

I was reading your post D.L.S and I disagree with what you were saying about the Europa League Competition not been a major trophy it is !, its the second most important European trophy, it gives you a great chance to take on the Champions League winners and win further European trophy's !
      I agree with your comments about the changes that have been made regarding the qualification for these competitions, the whole TV/SKY/WAGES issues have caused this in my opinion.
      Your right of course the only team in the champions League should be the Scum, we should be in the Europa League / UEFA cup from the begining, we certainly shouldn't be in it now we've been found wanting in one European Competition, why should we be
      'rewarded' wIth entry to another one as 'consolation' ?
      Its all down to MONEY ! clubs only want to qualify for the Champions League initially for the money without thinking whether there capable of winning it ,
      We're in it anyway so lets get on with it and win it !
      You say no 'big club' should be in it but we're the biggest most successful club in Europe and we're in it, personally I'd rather win this than lose the Champions League.
      On a brighter note the first time we won the UEFA cup we won the domestic league in the same season, so lets win the Europa League for the first time along with the Premier League. ;D
      One more thing, is there a different Shirt for the Europa League or is it the same as the Champions League one ?
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #82: Nov 25, 2009 11:36:02 am
      With respect, football has come a long way since the 70's, money wasn't such an issue back then. Boro almost won it, where are they now?

As much as I hate to say it, but we are on course to be the next Leeds Utd as things stand right now.

I haven't seen anything yet, and it could be my bluenose mate winding me up, but apparantly Gerrard has more or less said hes going if LFC don't finish in the top 4 this season?

If Gerrard and torres do 1, likewise Mascherano, We are in deep s'hit because we have no money to get a replacement anywhere near as good as them. Best we could hope for would be nicky butt on loan.

And when is he claimed to have said that.  He has a contract till 2013/14 so come on Blue s**t will be having a field day now.  It's up to the top players to show commitment now...ignore all the crap its going to be a difficult few days!
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #83: Nov 25, 2009 11:40:54 am

And when is he claimed to have said that.  He has a contract till 2013/14 so come on Blue s**t will be having a field day now.  It's up to the top players to show commitment now...ignore all the crap its going to be a difficult few days!

I'm not sure, i said i haven't seen anything.

But my mate (whoose a bluenose) text me last night and said Gerrard has just made out in an interview that he will do 1 if LFC dont finish in the top 4 this season. Haven't got a clue if thats true or not, came on the forum today and haven't seen anything so far so im guessing its not because surely someone would have posted something.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #84: Nov 25, 2009 11:43:20 am
      I don't think Gerrard would give up so easily.
      He won't as Liverpool just isn't a football team to him. He's been with them for more than 2 decades and they mean much more than that.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #85: Nov 25, 2009 11:47:18 am
      I'm not sure, I said I haven't seen anything.

But my mate (whoose a bluenose) text me last night and said Gerrard has just made out in an interview that he will do 1 if LFC dont finish in the top 4 this season. Haven't got a clue if thats true or not, came on the forum today and haven't seen anything so far so im guessing its not because surely someone would have posted something.

Hmmm Stevie has been in the teams that have finished below top 4 before.  I think he'll stay and fight for our survival.  Last seasonhe was claiming it's the best team he's played in after the Ncle drumming Remember!? so what's changed only Alonso (a loss I know) and Arbeloa so he has to take his share of the blame for results and help solve this.

Think opposition fans will just make our lives a misery for now.  Remember the Chavs had a bad season last year.  Just hoping ours ends as well as theirs did.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #86: Nov 25, 2009 12:07:46 pm
      Our Rivals are laughing at us at the minute because of us going out such as the mancs chelsea everton leeds forset and other teams. Just ignore them Liverpool F.C will show them that we are still the best club in the world
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #87: Nov 25, 2009 12:14:30 pm
      I'm not sure, I said I haven't seen anything.

But my mate (whose a bluenose) text me last night and said Gerrard has just made out in an interview that he will do 1 if LFC don't finish in the top 4 this season. Haven't got a clue if that's true or not, came on the forum today and haven't seen anything so far so I'm guessing its not because surely someone would have posted something.

That's just your friend trying to wind you up !
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #88: Nov 25, 2009 12:59:27 pm
      Im absolutely gutted to be out of the Champions League, given our track record in this competition over the last few years we should be in the latter stages!

But without a shadow of a doubt i want us to win the Europa League now. It's all we can aim for in Europe and theres some top, top teams in the competition so for me that adds extra gloss and an extra motivation in winning it!

If we were to win the Europa League, the FA Cup and finish in the top 4 of the EPL i would consider it a very good season with the situation we're in at the minute.

Dont forget that winning the Europa will get us a Super Cup place aswell, and whilst it may not be an essential competition it's another crack at silverware against the best team in Europe (Champs League Winner).

I'll be following our Europa League campaign with eagle eyes. Come on redmen, bring it home!!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #89: Nov 25, 2009 01:10:23 pm
      Our captain's take on it:

NEWS STORY
      GERRARD: LET'S GO AND WIN EUROPA LEAGUE
      James Carroll 24 November 2009 
        Steven Gerrard reflected on Liverpool's European heartbreak and declared: 'Now let's go and win the Europa League.' 
      A fourth minute strike from David Ngog gave the Reds a 1-0 victory over Debrecen in Budapest - but it wasn't enough to save their Champions League status as Fiorentina beat Lyon in Italy.

While Gerrard accepts it is a blow to have bowed out of the tournament at the group stage, the captain is confident the season can still end in success for Rafael Benitez's side.

"The disappointing thing was having to rely on other teams going into tonight," said Gerrard.

"We've played fantastically well tonight and deserved the three points, so it's disappointing that we won't progress in the Champions League.

"You get what you deserve in this competition and the two late goals we conceded against Lyon have been crucial. But it's gone now - it's in the past and we've got to move on.

"We're in the Europa League and we'll go and try to win it.

"Tonight's performance was encouraging and we can build on that. We've got a lot of players coming back from injury so hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here."

The results mean Liverpool will drop down into the Europa League - a competition the Reds last won on a memorable night in Dortmund in 2001.

Asked if the players would find it difficult to pick themselves up to play in the tournament, Gerrard replied: "Of course because the main prize has gone.

"When you start the season, you want to stay in the Champions League as long as possible, so to be playing in the Europa League is disappointing.

"But we have to accept that, move on and go and try and win it.

"The only consolation from losing out on the Champions League is to go and win the one that comes second."

Gerrard admits Liverpool's primary short-term focus will be attempting to secure a top four finish this campaign and a return to the Champions League in 2010-11.

"It's important we finish in the top four, that goes without saying," he added.

"For financial reasons, but also from a personal point of view it is important for players to play in the Champions League because it's the best level.

"It's important we go to Everton on Sunday, try to get the three points and get ourselves back in the top four as soon as possible.

"Now that we've got the majority of the squad back fit, I'm very confident we can turn things around and go on a long run of winning games.

"Hopefully Torres is not too far away and then we'll have everyone back fit and go from there." 

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166587091124-2221.htm

We are in it so let's try and win it!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #90: Nov 25, 2009 01:15:57 pm
      I don't think many people would be complaining if we did end up winning it because it is another trophy to add to our collection.

We've got to try and win it.

CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #91: Nov 25, 2009 01:19:56 pm
      I think players need to stop talking now ad proving it on the pitch.  We don't look like a trophy winning side right (painful though it is to say) now so there's loads of work to do on the training pitch.  Come on Reds do what you are paid to do and (in theory) love doing.

We need results from them and Rafa making a few changes to his team selections or check more with Sammy/Kenny   ???

Quick Reply