Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Shankly: 50 years since his arrival

Read 12360 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Shankly: 50 years since his arrival
      Reply #115: Dec 11, 2009 01:48:45 pm
      Boss!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #116: Dec 11, 2009 02:00:37 pm
      Thank god he's not our manager now, some of our clueless bellend supporters would of had him sacked after three weeks.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #117: Dec 11, 2009 02:12:39 pm
      Absolutely incredible man who led this club through so much, possibly the most legendary person ever assocaited with out noble football club.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #118: Dec 14, 2009 04:30:36 pm
      50 years ago today Shankly arrived at Anfield and Melwood to take up his job as Liverpool manager

And so the revolution began....
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #119: Dec 14, 2009 04:51:52 pm
      ^^^^

Greatest day in the history of the club.
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #120: Dec 14, 2009 05:57:03 pm
      Anfield will be gripped by Bill Shankly fever ahead of the Reds' clash with Wigan on Wednesday night, as Liverpool Football Club pays a special tribute to our legendary manager on the 50th anniversary of his arrival.

Related Links
       The clash with the Latics is the closest home fixture to the actual date of his first game in charge - a 4-0 home defeat by Cardiff on December 19, 1959.

To mark the occasion 11 members of Shankly's family and some of the great names who played under him will take to the field at half-time, while a special mosaic will also feature on the Kop.

Legends from the glorious 1965 and 1974 FA Cup winning sides will be gracing the sacred turf once again in honour of Glenbuck's finest.

From 1965, Roger Hunt will return alongside the Colossus Ron Yeats, Ian Callaghan, Ian St John, 'The Flying Pig' Tommy Lawrence, Gerry Byrne, Tommy Smith, Chris Lawler, Ronnie Moran, Gordon Milne and Willie Stevenson.

Representing 1974 will be Kevin Keegan, Steve Heighway, Phil Thompson, Brian Hall and Barbara Hughes - widow of our great captain Emlyn.

"He brought me to the club, he believed in me and he inspired me," said Keegan. "My first meeting with him changed my life forever."

Current boss Rafael Benitez has also spoken of his admiration for the man who famously 'laid the foundations' and he has been keen to reiterate his respect for the Scot.

"Everybody knows he is one of the best managers ever because he changed the club," said Benitez.

"Others may have won more trophies, but Shankly was the man who changed everything
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #121: Dec 14, 2009 08:53:07 pm
      Wouldn't it be a good idea to let the current Liverpool fc players watch all Mr Shankly's film clips and interviews? this man laid the very foundations upon which the success of Liverpool has grown . my god how we could do with his man management skills now !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #122: Dec 14, 2009 08:58:25 pm
      There was a question at the end of it that got me wondering. If you could describe Shankly with one word, what would it be?

Complete.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #123: Dec 14, 2009 09:06:33 pm
      My mate supports spurs, admitidly he's not as into his football as I'am and isn't a regular at white hart lane.

BUT.... he does admit is that the Liverpool fans he knows are different to any other fans in so much as their passion for the club and the "LFC family" is totally unique and unrivaled.

For a club of our size I think that says it all........and it all stems from one man's vision and belief.......SHANKLY.

A LEGEND
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #124: Dec 14, 2009 09:27:09 pm

There was a question at the end of it that got me wondering. If you could describe Shankly with one word, what would it be?

Unique
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #125: Dec 15, 2009 07:05:24 am
      50 years ago today Shankly arrived at Anfield and Melwood to take up his job as Liverpool manager

And so the revolution began....
      You are so right and I was privileged to witness it and be a part of the revival of the best club in the world.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #126: Dec 15, 2009 08:52:10 am
      Without him none of us would be debating why we are not challenging for the top honours..!
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #127: Dec 15, 2009 04:58:23 pm
      One word to describe him is INVINCIBLE!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #128: Dec 15, 2009 05:11:53 pm
      Messiah.
      Salute to the great man. You get together a hundred great managers and they won't be able to do what he did alone.
      Too bad I wasn't born when he was in-charge at the club. It would have been a great honour to watch the great man take our club to new heights never reached by any other club.
      Shanklys Ghost
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #129: Dec 16, 2009 03:29:26 am
      There may be one or two here who would like to spill their guts about why Shankly REALLY quit. A few years back the SAINT said on TV that he resigned over payments into his pension. Seems doubtful to me but better than the reason Shanks gave at the time - to spend more time with his family (we're too sophisticated now to fall for such a piece of PR tat).

Anyone care to get the ball rolling?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #130: Dec 16, 2009 01:24:11 pm
      There may be one or two here who would like to spill their guts about why Shankly REALLY quit. A few years back the SAINT said on TV that he resigned over payments into his pension. Seems doubtful to me but better than the reason Shanks gave at the time - to spend more time with his family (we're too sophisticated now to fall for such a piece of PR tat).

Anyone care to get the ball rolling?

No, if Shankly said he left to spend more time with his family, then he left to spend more time with his family. You sure your username shouldn't be Anthony H Wilson's ghost!!!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #131: Dec 16, 2009 03:05:31 pm
      Does anyone have a video of the tribute sky sports had before the Arsenal game?

My bloody TV went for a burton and I missed it!
      Shanklys Ghost
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #132: Dec 16, 2009 06:31:31 pm
      No, if Shankly said he left to spend more time with his family, then he left to spend more time with his family. You sure your username shouldn't be Anthony H Wilson's ghost!!!

You mean you haven't noticed how the club tried to airbrush him out of its history?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,430 posts | 8653 
      Reply #133: Dec 16, 2009 10:04:37 pm
      You mean you haven't noticed how the club tried to airbrush him out of its history?

How is that possible like?

Been plenty of Shankly programmes on LFCTV, no?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #134: Dec 17, 2009 07:28:03 am
      It would be impossible to airbrush the late great Bill Shankly out of its history.Owners may come and go but the spirit of Bill Shankly will live for ever and always be a big part of Liverpool Football Club.Anyone who went to Anfield to watch Bill Shanklys REDS will testify to the euphoria he created from the day he arrived at Anfield to the day he handed the job to Bob Paisley making sure the dynasty was continued.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #135: Dec 17, 2009 07:59:24 pm
      Great Picture Aussie, Cas must have sober when she took that!

Cheeky !!!

:laugh: :laugh:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #136: Dec 17, 2009 08:08:47 pm
      Shankly more than anyone understood the fans, they meant everything to him, he was one of us, that picture of him standing right in front of the Kop with the silk scarf on, he would have been in the Kop if he'd had his way.

A truly remarkable man, who will be remembered for ever in the history of Liverpool Football Club.

You'll Never Walk Alone Shanks.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #137: Dec 17, 2009 08:16:39 pm
      Well it is a good picture , and no shakes? And like you said You'll Never Walk Alone Shanks.

Quick Reply