Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Shankly: 50 years since his arrival

Read 12492 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Shankly: 50 years since his arrival
      Reply #138: Dec 17, 2009 09:05:43 pm
      Shankly's Famous Quotes 2009 Style

Shanks On Life and Death

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you that making money to service the loans is much more important than that"

Shanks On Everton

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd close the vertical blinds"

Shanks on what Liverpool means to him

"Liverpool were made for me and I was made for Liverpool, and I knew that the people who mattered most were the ones who came through the turnstiles with electronic swipe cards"

Shanks on the This Is Anfield Sign

"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and for fans to get their picture taken when they pay £11 to go on the stadium tour"

Shanks on Craig Bellamy

"You Son could start a riot in a graveyard"

Shanks on Liverpool

"There are four great teams in Liverpool. Liverpool, Liverpool Reserves, Liverpool Under-18's and Liverpool Ladies"

Shanks on Everton's new signing Lucas Neill

"Don't worry Lucas, You'll be playing near a great side"

Shanks on Luis Garcia

"Jesus Christ son, you must be about 5ft tall"
      "I'm 5ft 7in boss"
      "That's close enough to 5ft for me"

Shanks on Robbie Keane

"Yes, he misses a few. But he gets in the right place to miss them"

Shanks on Sami Hyypia

"With him at centre-half, we could play Charles Itandje in goal!"

Shanks on Directors

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager, and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to process transactions through a BACS money transfer"

Shanks unveiling Sotirios Kyrgiakos to journalists

"He's just stepped out of the shower and is straightening his hair. Come in and see him.....have a walk round him. He's an Acropolis"

Shanks on allegations he took his wife to watch a match on their wedding anniversary

"It wasn't our wedding anniversary, it was her birthday, because there's no way I would have got married in the football season. And it wasn't Zenit St Petersburg. It was Zenit St Petersburg Reserves"

Shanks to an injured Fernando Torres

"Take that poof Alice Band off, and what do you mean you've hurt your hamstring? It's Liverpool's commercial department's hamstring".

All quotes courtesy of the 'KOP' magazine.

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #139: Dec 17, 2009 09:14:44 pm
      What a lot of people don't know is that at the time Bill Shankly took hold of Liverpool fc there was an abundance of good football managers around then ...Bill towered above all of them with his views and his attitude and sense that is why to me Bill Shankly will always be an immortal .
      MsGerrard
      Reply #140: Dec 18, 2009 12:05:16 am
      Honorary Citizen Shankly

Councillor Mike Storey will commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Bill Shankly's arrival as manager of Liverpool FC by awarding him the title of Honorary Citizen in recognition of his outstanding contribution not just to football but to the whole City.

Councillor Storey said: This is a fantastic opportunity to recognise one of our finest special citizen's and honour everything that he brought to the our city. Bill Shankly represented the city with distinction and never missed an opportunity to talk up the city. He really was a great ambassador for Liverpool and I thought it would be great to be able to give him some form of official recognition and fully acknowledge him as a Liverpool great."

The Lord Mayor sought the agreement of Party Leaders Cllr Warren Bradley and Cllr Joe Anderson and will be holding a small get together for ex-colleagues, family and friends of Bill Shankly at the Town Hall on Thursday 17th December before making the award during the Shankly Show at the Liverpool Echo Arena, that evening.

Andrew Sherlock writer and director of The Shankly Show approached Councillor Storey with the idea. He said: "It has always rankled with Liverpool fans that we should have had at least two footballing knights, Sir Bill Shankly and Sir Bob Paisley, so on this special anniversary I asked the Lord Mayor if we could honour our own with a special award for Shankly - not just for what he did for LFC but for all football fans and for the life, passion and energy he brought to the City he made his home".

Receiving the award on behalf of LFC and the Shankly family will be Brian Hall who will also be inviting friends and colleagues from the Former Players Association who, like himself, played under Shankly.

Brian said: "Bill Shankly had the greatest single impact on the development of Liverpool Football Club and on my life more than anyone - bar none.  It is a phrase that is used often, but of him it is absolutely true, he is a legend.  It will be great to get the boys together to honour his memory".

The Shankly Show is on for two nights only on Thursday 17th and Friday 18th of December at 8pm at the BT Convention Centre with celebration and tributes made on both nights and the Honorary Citizen's Award to be made on Thursday 17th.

Tickets are available at BT CONVENTION CENTRE (Next to LIVERPOOL ECHO ARENA)

Dates: Thursday 17-Friday 18 December 2009 at 8pm Tickets: £25.00 and £35.00

Liverpool Echo Arena Box Office:  0844 8000 400, in person at the Liverpool Echo Arena or online at www.echoarena.com

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/News/shankly.asp
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #141: Dec 18, 2009 08:51:52 am
       I would love to be there MsGerrard,it would bring back so many memories of Anfield as we knew it when Bill Shankly was our manager.One thing Bill Shankly knew was it was working class men that kept this great club going in pre Bill Shankly days and he made sure the players knew it .Without a doubt Bill Shankly set this club up for greatness and it is a shame that it has taken two Americans to undermine everything that Bill Shankly worked for.

Quick Reply