Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Shankly: 50 years since his arrival

Read 12498 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Shankly's 50th anniversary, "Today Folks 1st December"
      Reply #69: Dec 02, 2009 06:50:56 am
      Liverpool wore the all-red strip for the first time on 25th of November 1964 vs Anderlecht
      "Our game against Anderlecht at Anfield was a night of milestones. We wore the all red strip for the first time. Christ, the players looked like giants. And we played like giants. We used to play in white shorts with red stripes, white stockings with red tops and white piping on the jerseys. But we switched to all red and it was fantastic. The introduction of the all scarlet strip had a huge psychological effect. I went home that night and I said to Ness: "You know something... tonight I went out onto Anfield and for the first time there was a glow like a fire was burning."

Bill Shankly.

I was a day short of 2 months old then, so I don't remember the old kit, but I love this quote.

Lots more here:  http://www.shankly.com/Webs/billshankly/default.aspx?aid=2517
      How well I remember us playing in that all RED strip,at first we only used it for European games and reverted to our normal league strip as you mention.I think it must of been about 3 or 4 seasons later when we used the all RED strip for all matches.I will check back and see when we did go all RED as I could be wrong,no doubt someone will give us the correct season.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #70: Dec 02, 2009 06:53:53 am
      Been doing some reminiscing myself, and thought i would post a couple videos for anyone who wants to do the same, or for any of our younger/newer fans who may not have even seen any of Shankly's famous stuff. Third one is a nice 10 minute one if ya have the time, the first two a couple short snippets of the great man.

Almost brings a tear to ya eye!  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Shanks speaks to the people

Bill Shankly

Bill Shankly - the Legend
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #71: Dec 02, 2009 07:40:11 am
      It is enough to bring tears to a grown mans eyes,not only did Bill Shankly bring pride to L.F.C. but he instilled pride in the players and just as important he gave us the supporters the pride of belonging to the greatest football club the world has ever known.
                                                            After those years in the second division we finally had a manager who had the foresight to get good men behind him (lets not forget Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan in all this ) and put this club back back where it belonged at the top of England,Europe and indeed the world.I am so very glad that I was able to experience the KOP during the time of  Bill Shankly who deserves the title of the greatest manager ever.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #72: Dec 02, 2009 08:23:44 am
      Was one of my proudest moments in my life when MsGerrard took this photo of me sat next to the Great Man, right out the front of the club shop.

The inscription on the bottom of his statue sums the man up perfectly. He made the people happy.

To this day I still don't understand why he wasn't knighted but to me he will always be Sir Bill Shankly.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #73: Dec 02, 2009 08:32:52 am
       Ian you certainly look the part there mate,it must of made you feel very proud  that photograph.Cheers.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      Reply #74: Dec 02, 2009 09:50:19 am
      Thanks Billy, was the highlight of my Anfield tour...well that and touching "the sign" as I walked up those stairs and out onto the pitch.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #75: Dec 02, 2009 10:16:44 am
      Great Picture Aussie, Cas must have sober when she took that!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      Reply #76: Dec 02, 2009 10:19:30 am
      Great Picture Aussie, Cas must have sober when she took that!

:lmao: :lmao:

She was, I think  ;)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #77: Dec 02, 2009 10:22:56 am
      Nice one Aussie mate, It is a really great picture though.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #78: Dec 02, 2009 10:25:44 am
      Wasnt online much yesterday so missed this. Talksport played loads of clips of Shanks and shared some of the Nostalgia.

Much Thanks Shanks!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #79: Dec 02, 2009 10:37:45 am
      Roy Evans: What Shanks means to me

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/evans-what-shanks-means-to-me

Throughout Shankly week players and important figures from the past have had their say on one the greatest managers of all-time. Here bootroom apprentice turned manager, Roy Evans recalls his memories of the man who signed him up.

The name Bill Shankly goes hand in hand with that of Liverpool Football Club and the success we have enjoyed over the years.

Without Bill it wouldn't be the club with the proud traditions it has today.

I was only a young boy when he arrived. You could see Liverpool were moving in the right direction from that moment on and that they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Liverpool have won so much over the years, but for me that all started because of Bill Shankly.

I played for all the schoolboy teams and England schoolboys. I suppose I was a bit of catch at the time and I had a fair few scouts from various clubs knocking on the door every Sunday morning.

We went down to see Shanks and there he was, just being his enigmatic self. You sometimes wondered whether he was just putting a show on, but I think it was just because he was such a great speaker.

He sold the club to me and my Dad asked him how much they were going to offer us to pick Liverpool. He told him nothing. He said he just wanted me to sign for Liverpool.

My Dad told me about all the offers from other clubs and I just said 'Liverpool'.

Once I had committed myself, Shanks was fantastic.

People always say my career was cut short through injury, but that's a myth. I just wasn't good enough. That's how I ended up on the staff. I was fortunate enough to join the backroom team at an early age rather than go and sign for another team.

It was actually Bob who asked me to join the staff, Bill had gone by then.

But as a kid I used to go in every morning and Bill used to get changed next to me. We always got ready in the away team's dressing room and Bill would always come in and chat with us and not with the first-team.

He made statements of fact. "It's a great day today son," he'd say and you'd think no it's not, it's raining. He was a bit like chairman Mao that way.

People have tried to imitate him over the years, but Shanks was just natural. He believed everything he said to you and you took his word for it because he was the great Bill Shankly.

He was a man who could get the very best out of you, but he could also kill you with one sentence.

He was just so charismatic. I don't think he had everything as a manager because nobody does. But he had what it took to make Liverpool the great team that they became. He didn't inherit a top squad but he brought in Ian St John and Big Ron Yeats and that started it all off.

He wisely chose his staff and kept those that were already there. The likes of Bob Paisley and Reuben Bennett proved to be massive to him.

He wasn't so much a coach, more of a manager. He was the man who was behind the simplicity of the way Liverpool played; pass and move.
      Simplicity is genius and only a few have succeeded in emulating that over the years.

I have no doubt that he made Liverpool. I don't think Liverpool would have reached the heights they have without Bill Shankly.

He built two great teams, but for me, the 1965 one will always be my favourite.

We know Bob took the club on even more in terms of winning trophies but it all evolved from Shanks' training and his methods.

When I took over as manager I had a picture taken and altered, with me in front of him adopting the same pose. It was because I was the last of the bootroom boys, but it was a bit of a cheek really because no-one could ever be like him.

He was a total one off and for Liverpool Football Club he was absolutely fantastic.

Well said Roy massive respect for you fella and I would love you back at Anfield working under Benitez, you are the only manager since Souness that tried to play the Shankly way the way you were educated and back then you made my Liverpool FC exciting to watch again and I'll always remember you fondly for that.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #80: Dec 02, 2009 11:15:08 am
      Shanks , without you we would not be whee we are today , we'd be where Everton is ! You are truly the best !
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Re: Shankly: 50 years since his arrival
      Reply #81: Dec 02, 2009 01:56:58 pm
      "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."  Bill Shankly  :gt-happyup:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #82: Dec 02, 2009 06:03:09 pm
      "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."  Bill Shankly  :gt-happyup:

If only that were true. Ours try and meddle with Rafa, and then don't even sign any cheques. Can you imagine of you put Bill and H&G in the same room? My word, there would be some choice words i think. That's what i loved about him. He said what he thought, there was no games with him.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #83: Dec 02, 2009 06:33:09 pm
      Legend that's legacy will always live on.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #84: Dec 02, 2009 06:54:53 pm
      I can't believe how few members have posted in this thread - it's been (relatively) quiet on here this week but F**k me....... :-\
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #85: Dec 02, 2009 07:03:28 pm
      I can't believe how few members have posted in this thread - it's been (relatively) quiet on here this week but f**k me....... :-\

I thought exactly the same mate, I rated every member with a positive who cared to acknowledge Shanks on his anniversary as I was disappointed to be honest at the lack of numbers, this thread yesterday should have been by far and large the busiest topic on this forum.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #86: Dec 02, 2009 07:05:59 pm
      I did acknowledge the fact it was the anniversary but i had big things going on at home, so my head was allover the place.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #87: Dec 02, 2009 07:11:50 pm
      Bill Shankly, I never knew him yet even met him. I barely even heard his name. But what make me proud being a Liverpool is the dedication, and I knew that was one of your philosophy. A Liverpool philosophy trademarked by you. Your hope and dreams never died the day you left Liverpool, but magically it was carried upon year after year and now, the Liverpool I supported wholeheartedly was and still carries your name with it. A Shankly brand that evolved around the players and the supporters.

You made us a bastion, an empire and a dominant force. You gave us hope to cling and dreams that we can be anything we wanted to be. You gave us the greats in football, but yet your modesty and humbleness inspired me and all the fans. You let your philosophy spoke for you and you always gave us something to cheer upon.

In recognition of your 50th anniversary, I on behalf of Malaysian Liverpool supporters would like to thank you for the chance you gave us to embrace Liverpool. Thanks for making us proud being a Liverpool supporter. Thanks for making Liverpool an institution and thanks a million thanks for being Mr. Bill Shankly the most successful Liverpool manager!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #88: Dec 02, 2009 07:14:32 pm
      "He Made The People Happy."

We miss you Shankly. If only you were here today. You'd know what to do or say about our current owners.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #89: Dec 02, 2009 09:31:15 pm
      I can't believe how few members have posted in this thread - it's been (relatively) quiet on here this week but f**k me....... :-\

I haven't been able to be on the forum long enough in the last couple of days to get through all my unread topics. Everyone feels the same, just not everyone is able to be on here as soon as the thread is done.

Reading through this thread has been the best read in a long time, the articles being posted I could read over and over.

Probably one of the few people to have been at the club that will be remembered generation after generation after generation.

LEGEND - YNWA!
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #90: Dec 02, 2009 09:40:23 pm
      Can you imagine of you put Bill and H&G in the same room? My word, there would be some choice words I think. .

I'm sure that Bill has turned around in his grave thinking : What have those wankers done to my club ?? CURSE THEM !!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #91: Dec 03, 2009 11:51:42 am
      Hard to add to some of the exceptional posts on this thread, I'm obviously going to repeat some people, but that's tough as I'd like to have a say as well. ;)

Looking back on the club Shankly inherited, what he went on to achieve with it was quite simply phenominal. The man was a visionary, to take over a side and a stadium that was rocking and to turn it into the greatest footballing force the world has ever seen, he had to be.

It's hard to put into words the debt we owe him, we're so priviledged as fans to be supporters of the best and most successful club in England (and in my humble opinion, the world), that the words "thank you" seem enormously inadequate. But that's all we can do: thank him for transforming the club into not only a winning machine, but an example of simpleness, effectivity and doing things the "right" way.

We can also thank ourselves as supporters, because if Shankly came to Liverpool it's because he knew we were the greatest public, and that the club had a beating heart in it's fans. When times are hard on the pitch, we just need to think back to where we come from. Keep our heads raised with the pride this man gave to us, and keep on cheering his and our beloved Reds.

RIP Bill, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Quick Reply