Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Rafa making Alberto wait

Read 10801 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Rafa making Alberto wait
      Reply #115: Dec 01, 2009 06:23:41 pm
      I'll just say, i am living with a hell of an ankle injury myself. Even if i have surgery, itll never be what it was. So if Alberto's was that bad, i trust Rafa in making sure he believes he can run out a full game without feeling the injury before even giving him 20 minutes.
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #116: Dec 01, 2009 06:24:41 pm
      Rafa said from day one that he wanted Aquilani to be 100 per cent fit before using him. And he thinks that he's not there yet, that's why he's not playing. But i'm sure that he will get there. Looking forward to it !
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #117: Dec 01, 2009 10:22:07 pm
      If he doesnt play more than 20 mins V Blackburn I will be worried...

I think he will play 20-30 mins on Saturday and then 60mins V Fiorentina...
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #118: Dec 01, 2009 10:42:14 pm
      If he doesnt play more than 20 mins V Blackburn I will be worried...

I think he will play 20-30 mins on Saturday and then 60mins V Fiorentina...

Maybe he will and hopefully. According to Rafa he's doing really well at training so it would be great if he was fit for Saturday.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #119: Dec 01, 2009 10:53:57 pm
      Maybe he will and hopefully. According to Rafa he's doing really well at training so it would be great if he was fit for Saturday.

Yeah mate, even Dagliesh and Jay Spearing have said, that in training they can clearly see we have a world class player.. Im confident in this lad, he will shine but we all have to be patient..
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #120: Dec 01, 2009 11:42:43 pm
      All it is, is that they are shitting you about his ankle injury, he's had eye relocation surgery and Rafa's just waiting till he gets up to speed with 20/20 vision.

Before surgery in his Roma days.

After surgery in his Liverpool days.

As Rafa would say "You see the difference no ?"

Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #121: Dec 01, 2009 11:45:10 pm
      All it is, is that they are shitting you about his ankle injury, he's had eye relocation surgery and Rafa's just waiting till he gets up to speed with 20/20 vision.

Before surgery in his Roma days.

After surgery in his Liverpool days.

As Rafa would say "You see the difference no ?"

LMFAO!!!!

Quality
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #122: Dec 02, 2009 04:30:19 am
      I'm getting a little bit impatient but I can't comment on whether Rafa is doing it right or not.

I'm pretty certain Aquilani is itching to get more minutes on the pitch as well.

He's fit, but he's not playing. It has been about a month since he's returned and trained with the first team, and done all except only play a paltry 20 minutes on the pitch so far.

Now what he needs to get is match fitness. In order to get it, he needs to play more.

I do hope he comes on for 15 minutes against Blackburn, hopefully we get the game wrapped up by then. And with us playing Fiorentina with nothing at risk, except pride, I hope he can come on maybe from the start of the second half or so.

He needs to start playing more in order to gel with his teammates on the pitch.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #123: Dec 02, 2009 07:17:40 am
      if he is unfit as Rafa says and if  it would be a gamble to play him in tight games why have him on the bench at all?
      by Rafa's logic he isn't going to get match fit unless we start winning games by big margins plus it doesn't do a lot for the
      lad's confidence by Rafa saying he doesn't have faith in him at the moment to do a job.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #124: Dec 02, 2009 11:01:01 am
      Rafa: Aquilani is improving

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rafa-aquilani-is-improving

Rafa Benitez today confirmed Alberto Aquilani is closing in on a first team debut.
      Related Links

The Italian international was scheduled to play for the reserves at Wigan last week but the match was postponed.

Despite being questioned for his lack of action so far, the Reds boss insists he is easing the player back to full fitness before giving him his chance.

"It's more simple than people think," said Benitez.

"He has been out for longer than we expected and, because he has been injured during the summer, he couldn't train properly.

"Now it is much better and it is a case of improving his match fitness.

"We want to play him and we thought we might have been able to do that with the reserves at Wigan.

"That was called off (last week) but we had some games at Melwood and he played 45 minutes against our reserves last week.

"We are trying to improve him as quick as we can.

"But when you have a player who is not fit, he is always going to need time to settle in to a game; if the game is tight and he makes mistakes, then you have a problem.

"We want to protect the player but, at the same time, we want to keep winning games; he understands that he needs to be a little bit fitter before he can play."
      Volle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts |
      • Champions 2019/20
      Reply #125: Dec 02, 2009 11:02:44 am
      if he is unfit as Rafa says and if  it would be a gamble to play him in tight games why have him on the bench at all?
      by Rafa's logic he isn't going to get match fit unless we start winning games by big margins plus it doesn't do a lot for the
      lad's confidence by Rafa saying he doesn't have faith in him at the moment to do a job.

I'm sure that Rafa and Aquilani talks together about these things. Besides, He was supposed to play the ressies game against Wigan but as you all know it was postponed and that would be great match training for him. I feel sure that Aquilani will be great success for us :)
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #126: Dec 02, 2009 12:42:39 pm
      Rafa: Aquilani is improving

"He has been out for longer than we expected and, because he has been injured during the summer, he couldn't train properly.

"Now it is much better and it is a case of improving his match fitness.

"We want to play him and we thought we might have been able to do that with the reserves at Wigan.

"That was called off (last week) but we had some games at Melwood and he played 45 minutes against our reserves last week.

"We are trying to improve him as quick as we can.

"But when you have a player who is not fit, he is always going to need time to settle in to a game; if the game is tight and he makes mistakes, then you have a problem.

"We want to protect the player but, at the same time, we want to keep winning games; he understands that he needs to be a little bit fitter before he can play."
      It's a real shame the reserves game was called off, that would have been ideal for him to build match fitness.  It's a bit of a catch 22 situation for Alberto though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #127: Dec 02, 2009 04:09:32 pm
      I think every one needs to calm down a little regarding Aquilani, the way our season has panned out so far especially with injuries you can not blame Rafa for airing on the side of caution regarding Aquilani.

The lad has had a long period out with no pre-season behind him, now I'm assuming from what I have read, Rafa would love to to get Aquilani involved in one or two games, how ever my take on it is that Rafa is hoping to introduce him in games that are pretty much won for the protection of the player whilst he gains his match fitness and continues his rehabilitation.

I personally can see the method in Rafa's madness, you don't want to be introducing a player who has had such a lengthy lay off with no pre-season behind him who in contrast has been largely injury prone during his career, into games that are still being contested with tackles flying in that could be detrimental to Aquilani's progress in returning from injury.

Yes we would all love to see the lad but at the expense of breaking down and ruling him out for another 3 months ?, I know I wouldn't try bearing in mind we have signed the lad for 5 years not 5 minutes and let Rafa who will also be under advice from the medical staff, do what they feel is necessary regarding Aquilani's levels of fitness to play games.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #128: Dec 02, 2009 04:35:06 pm
      The only thing I am fearing is what if he does'nt settle in and make an impact...is it the season gone and 20 million wasted?
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #129: Dec 02, 2009 04:52:01 pm
      He, unlike the others, didn't train over the summer and when he returned after the holidays he had to start doing light workouts, eventually he got to kicking a ball again, and from there he's got himself to where he is now. I can understand Rafa being a little cautious, and now he's had a month more than was probably planned, he will be fitter and stronger than a month ago. Rafa has done the right thing with Aquilani, we all know the EPL is a tough league to play in, and you have to have strength to cope.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #130: Dec 02, 2009 09:51:02 pm
      I wonder what sort of cover up is even possible in this matter! perhaps he has an ankle like glass. i wasnt impressed by rafa signing someone who was injured in the first place.human health issues are very complex and serious injuries may never heal the way you want. and not playing it raises more questions then answers

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #131: Dec 03, 2009 01:02:51 am
      The only thing I am fearing is what if he does'nt settle in and make an impact...is it the season gone and 20 million wasted?

No mate its not Aquilani was signed for 5 years, i.e 5 season so if you divide 20 million by 5, its only 4 million wasted if you divide that he may play in half the season's games thats 2 million, not too bad for protecting the best interests of a player who would allegedly have cost 30+ million had he not been injured, so technically we have lost nothing we have gained.

Are you confuddled yet ? ;)

Quick Reply