Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Man United debt woes (Could be worse we could be United)

Read 4281 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Man United debt woes (Could be worse we could be United)
      Dec 05, 2009 11:13:25 am
      Man United debt woes

The Glazer family, the owners of Manchester United, are struggling to refinance their enormous debts amid concerns about the impact they are having on the club.
      The Times reports that the Americans have been trying unsuccessfully to secure a refinancing package for part of the club's £699m debt for months, having failed in 2007 and last year, because of the bleak global economic climate.

Fans' groups have cast doubt over whether they will ever see the £80m raised from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid last summer reinvested in the squad.

Dragan Djuric, the Partizan Belgrade president, meanwhile claimed this week that United pulled the plug on a deal to sign Adem Ljajic, the Serbia Under-21 midfield player, because "maybe they are in financial crisis".

United dismissed Djuric's claims and a spokesman for the Glazer family has maintained publicly that there is plenty of money available for Sir Alex Ferguson to spend on players, but supporters are unlikely to be pacified until they see the arrival of some big names or evidence that the spiralling debt is under control.

The main concern is understood to centre around the £175.5m of debt that the Glazers are personally responsible for, not the £518.7m of loans secured against the club.

It is these so-called Payment In Kind (PIK) notes, money borrowed from US hedge funds that "rolls up" at an annual interest rate of 14.25 per cent, that the Americans are believed to have been trying to refinance.

The intention was always to pay off these loans within a few years of the takeover in May 2005, but while they managed to redeem some of the original PIK debt of £275m, the credit crunch has made this difficult.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Man United debt woes (Could be worse we could be United)
      Reply #1: Dec 05, 2009 11:16:56 am
      My heart bleeds for them..... :angel:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Dec 05, 2009 11:19:48 am

Mines pumping piss for the shower of bas**rds. :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Dec 05, 2009 11:22:57 am
      Glazer family hit the wall over refinancing of Manchester United

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article6945421.ece

The Glazer family, the owners of Manchester United, are struggling to refinance their enormous debts amid concerns about the impact they are having on the club.

The Times understands that the Americans have been trying unsuccessfully to secure a refinancing package for part of the club’s £699 million debt for months, having failed in 2007 and last year, because of the bleak global economic climate.

Fans’ groups have cast doubt over whether they will ever see the £80 million raised from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portugal forward, to Real Madrid last summer reinvested in the squad.

Dragan Djuric, the Partizan Belgrade president, meanwhile claimed this week that United pulled the plug on a deal to sign Adem Ljajic, the Serbia Under-21 midfield player, because “maybe they are in financial crisis”.

United dismissed Djuric’s claims and a spokesman for the Glazer family has maintained publicly that there is plenty of money available for Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, to spend on players, but supporters are unlikely to be pacified until they see the arrival of some big names or evidence that the spiralling debt is under control. The main concern is understood to centre around the £175.5 million worth of debt that the Glazers are personally responsible for, not the £518.7 million of loans secured against the club.

It is these so-called Payment In Kind (PIK) notes, money borrowed from US hedge funds that “rolls up” at an annual interest rate of 14.25 per cent, that the Americans are believed to have been trying to refinance.

The intention was always to pay off these loans within a few years of the takeover in May 2005, but while they managed to redeem some of the original PIK debt of £275 million, the credit crunch has made this difficult.

By the time the debt matures in 2017, it will stand at £580 million unless the Glazers can pay part or all of it off before then, or secure a preferential rate of interest. With the club also facing rising capital repayments from 2013, the PIK debt is a concern. It grew from £152 million to £175.5 million in one financial year.

Previous reports that the Glazers could persuade the banks to refinance by offering securitisation against future match-day revenues are said to be wide of the mark; ticket sales are already factored into the borrowing.

As such, given that the 14.25 per cent interest rate was agreed the last and only time the Glazers have been able to refinance, in August 2006 when the financial climate was rosier, they will do well to secure a lower rate unless they have something tangible to offer would-be lenders.

It is understood that United are operating well within the financial terms set by their lenders. However, Perry Capital and Citadel — the two US hedge funds that provided the Glazers with PIK loans — get a range of rights over the club in the event that their financial performance falls beneath a certain level, including the right to appoint their own directors to the board.

Ultimately, they could seize control of the club should revenues plummet.

Documents obtained by The Times also reveal that the terms of the loan put a cap on United’s spending.

A spokesman for the Glazer family said: “We continue to keep our financial options for the club under review just like any other business.”
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: Dec 05, 2009 11:32:20 am
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Dec 05, 2009 11:34:23 am

Left you speechless eh Dmasta :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6: Dec 05, 2009 11:36:13 am
      Mines pumping piss for the shower of bas**rds. :D
      Well in mate  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      The facts reported concerning manUres' debt issue have been there since the Glaziers takeover and have been steadily accumulating. While our own fiscal concerns have been widely and unmercifully publicised the manUre situation in spite of it being over double our debt, is never mentioned. Further proof of the media bias we all know exists.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #7: Dec 05, 2009 12:24:24 pm
      Why does the media remind us every day since the yanks took out a loan that we are in debt, when the mancs are in worse debt?

Oh it just clicked.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Dec 05, 2009 12:39:05 pm
      :) happy happy happy
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Dec 05, 2009 08:49:50 pm
      That's the best news I've heard in the last 24 Hours.  ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Dec 05, 2009 09:08:11 pm
      Here's a tiny violin I made especially for them.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #11: Dec 05, 2009 09:35:55 pm
      Good.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #12: Dec 05, 2009 09:43:34 pm
      The only difference between them and us though is the fuckers keep winning-we WILL improve.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Dec 05, 2009 09:45:07 pm
      The only difference between them and us though is the fuckers keep winning-we WILL improve.

Where theres a WILL, theres a way or so they say :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #14: Dec 05, 2009 09:47:21 pm
      Where theres a WILL, theres a way or so they say :)
      There's no shortage of that mate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #15: Dec 06, 2009 10:30:27 am
      Bayern Munich believe manUre face a financial crisis and are skint after offering Frank Ribery to them in the summer and not even getting a response.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Dec 06, 2009 11:05:09 am
      Bayern Munich believe manUre face a financial crisis and are skint after offering Frank Ribery to them in the summer and not even getting a response.

Read that myself this morning mate allegedly offered Ribery for 60 million in the wake of the Ronaldo sale,  if its true then it shows maybe just maybe the cracks are starting to appear in United's finances too.

In a way I could sympathies with the Mancs as we all know ,that our own leeches are sucking the blood out of our very own club, but my empathy to the Mancs, would only come about if it was reciprocated in some way, which will never happen so as far as having any empathy goes, I'll give out a loud and clear laugh HA HA HA :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #17: Dec 06, 2009 12:38:37 pm
      Read that myself this morning mate allegedly offered Ribery for 60 million in the wake of the Ronaldo sale,  if its true then it shows maybe just maybe the cracks are starting to appear in United's finances too.

In a way I could sympathies with the Mancs as we all know ,that our own leeches are sucking the blood out of our very own club, but my empathy to the Mancs, would only come about if it was reciprocated in some way, which will never happen so as far as having any empathy goes, I'll give out a loud and clear laugh HA HA HA :)
      No one at old toilet is even concerned that the £80m ladyboy fee has disappeared into the owners overdraft Daz, they just turn up on saturday like sheep sing their silly songs eat some prawn sarnies and then F**k off home and do it all again whenever.
      We were onto our American fraudsters from the off but manUre have had the benefit of a superior commercial infrastructure to conceal their ducking and diving but eventually their debtors would come knocking.
      If they somehow escape their fate with borrowing money to pay loans as they have done the noose is tightening and they will find themselves up sh*t creak with no get out of jail loans available.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Dec 06, 2009 05:25:20 pm
      Nobody likes to see utd fail more then me but Id rather it on the pitch and not cos of c**t owners in the same class as our 2 c**t owners. Hate them I might but no club deserves to be destroyed cos of greedy b***ard owners. Sorry lads I know that wont sit well with yiz but Im just being honest. Football is being killed by greed and it sickens me
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #19: Dec 06, 2009 05:30:26 pm
      Sorry lads I know that wont sit well with yiz but Im just being honest. Football is being killed by greed and it sickens me

Don't sit bad with me at all Brian as I said I could share your empathy towards them, only if I ever felt they shared an empathy with our good selves, how ever that has not or will ever be the case with the shower of bas**rds as they actually believe they have a divine right to be a bunch of self absorbed arrogant bas**rds.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Dec 06, 2009 05:36:19 pm
      Don't sit bad with me at all Brian as I said I could share your empathy towards them, only if I ever felt they shared an empathy with our good selves, how ever that has not or will ever be the case with the shower of bas**rds as they actually believe they have a divine right to be a bunch of self absorbed arrogant bas**rds.

Oh yeah they are and always will be the biggest shower of w**kers on Gods green Earth and its not them I feel sorry for its football in general. Greedy owners buying up clubs as play things and destroying them with debt

Be more appealing to me to watch utd sink on the pitch
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #21: Dec 06, 2009 06:34:36 pm
      Oh yeah they are and always will be the biggest shower of w**kers on Gods green Earth and its not them I feel sorry for its football in general. Greedy owners buying up clubs as play things and destroying them with debt

Be more appealing to me to watch utd sink on the pitch
      Good shout Brian and what you say is of course true about the attitude being to the detriment of the game, the problem is that when their manager comes along with the venomous and hateful comments that he does and openly delights in his rivals misfortunes their supporters can only think it's the way to carry on. In spite of being disciplined and warned numerous times he continues with the behaviour and the fans think that a rejection of authority is acceptable.
      You only get back what you put in so people will be wishing the mancs fall to earth and the heavier the better.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #22: Dec 06, 2009 06:47:41 pm
      Good news.

They're in an even worse position than us!!

Quick Reply