Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre-match Thread: Liverpool v Arsenal (13/12/09 - 16:00)

Read 14925 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Pre-match Thread: Liverpool v Arsenal (13/12/09 - 16:00)
      Reply #115: Dec 13, 2009 11:48:00 am
      I've got a feeling I may need to empty the contents of my stomach before watching this one, I can imagine there will be twitchy bum moments, but I'm hoping and praying to the football gods we can pull of a win at any costs and get 3 points on the board and kickstart our faltering season and get the boys in a bullish mood.

I'm going for a 2-1 win to the reds Torres to steal the winning goal in the 86 minute.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #116: Dec 13, 2009 12:28:50 pm
      No Lucas at all, even though he's been one of our best players this season?

I'm also unsure about Pacheco starting, maybe on the bench, however, Arsenal may be a bit taken a back if they see his name on the teamsheet, so it could work in our favour if the lad starts, but I doubt he will.

He has been no way near our best player this year
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2009 12:32:02 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Our, not are. »
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #117: Dec 13, 2009 12:31:39 pm
      A win today takes us 10 points behind Chelsea and 7 behind United, we'd be in reasonable distance to catch them. We've been handed a good opportunity today but games against Arsenal are always unpredictable, I think we'll find it difficult to keep a clean sheet as they always seem to break us down with the amount of creativity they've got going forward.

I'm hoping we somehow squeeze 3 points out of it, put us all in a decent mood! Think we should go all out and start Aquilani with Masch, can't see the two defense minded midfielders keeping Arsenal out today.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #118: Dec 13, 2009 12:33:21 pm
      If we win this and then steam roll about 5 teams in our way, come January/ February, we could be up there in the race.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #119: Dec 13, 2009 12:37:25 pm
      If we win this and then steam roll about 5 teams in our way, come January/ February, we could be up there in the race.
      Wigan,Portsmouth,Villa,Wolves. All in the same month! That would be immense. We've got Spurs then in January!
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #120: Dec 13, 2009 12:41:25 pm
      Well we owe spurs one, or two even so they need to prepare for a raping.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #121: Dec 13, 2009 12:49:19 pm
      dear god,

as i lay me down to rest,
                  i pray that liverpool will be at there best,
                  please dont let lucas play or start,
                  or our title aspirations will fall apart,
                  please let aquilani have a say,
                  so we might have something to celebrate come may.

YNWA- 4 all d true anfield fans(which does not include lucas follwers-please its time to wake up=seriously its gone beyond a joke now, hes just not good enough.)

F***ing hell, another clueless c**t!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #122: Dec 13, 2009 12:49:26 pm
      Hope we start Aquilani, we'll need some creativity in midfield.

I'll stick with my earlier formation - Gerrard on the right, Aquilani behind Torres.

They'll never see it coming.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #123: Dec 13, 2009 12:50:42 pm
      Well we owe spurs one, or two even so they need to prepare for a raping.

:D

Right on!

Pumped for this afternoon, "must win" doesn't do this one justice.

Absolutely vital three points for our microscopic title hopes, and if you don't believe in that then it's still obvious a win would give us a tremendous push.

Come On!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #124: Dec 13, 2009 12:51:16 pm
      Hope we start Aquilani, we'll need some creativity in midfield.

I'll stick with my earlier formation - Gerrard on the right, Aquilani behind Torres.

They'll never see it coming.

Would be happy with that.

I'll admit if they start Aquilani over Lucas partnering Mascherano, I will be a little bit worried we will get overrun.

IF Aquilani starts I hope he plays higher up the pitch.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #125: Dec 13, 2009 12:51:54 pm
      dear god,

as i lay me down to rest,
                  i pray that liverpool will be at there best,
                  please dont let lucas play or start,
                  or our title aspirations will fall apart,
                  please let aquilani have a say,
                  so we might have something to celebrate come may.

YNWA- 4 all d true anfield fans(which does not include lucas follwers-please its time to wake up=seriously its gone beyond a joke now, hes just not good enough.)
      Im with you on this one , i dont care what anyone says , Lucas is a liability and im sick of talking about it . If only he can score or have a few shots on target to make me change my mind , but he does not do any ! I can play there and keep passing to mach. every time . Fed up man ! I can only be loyal for so long to one player . Sorry

I forgot to mention in my previous post. LUCAS and Masch in midfield, holding the backline together.

Think you guys need to actually start watching some games with your eyes, and not repeating what you hear from other clueless individuals.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #126: Dec 13, 2009 12:55:01 pm
      Lucas will start, But I think Aquilani will come on for at least 15 mins.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2009 01:00:32 pm by JD, Reason: Aquilani »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #127: Dec 13, 2009 01:01:38 pm
      I forgot to mention in my previous post. LUCAS and Masch in midfield, holding the backline together.

Think you guys need to actually start watching some games with your eyes, and not repeating what you hear from other clueless individuals.

To be honest I feel thats an unfair criticism of the lads.

I've watched every game this season on more than one occasion and Lucas for all he has progressed defensively as an orchestra of the midfield the lad is found wanting thats not being dismissive of the lad its called being honest about his abilities and lack of in some cases. I wouldn't like to think I was being called a clueless individual for removing me rose tinted spectacles and giving an honest opinion of Lucas's strengths & weakness and what he has to offer to the squad.

Now I don't disagree he may be the better alternative for keeping Arsenal out in todays match, how ever if we are going to get about Arsenal and exploit them then we need some "Creativity" on the pitch, I'd be partial to throwing Aquilani, Gerrard, Lucas, Masch & Benayoun onto the pitch and let Lucas & Masch sit and hold whilst Gerrard, Aquilani & Benayoun combine with Torres & "Creatively" tear Arsenal a new Aresenehole.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #128: Dec 13, 2009 01:14:32 pm
      All this negativity against Lucas is really starting to do my head in, Yes he is not the most gifted of Brazilians in the world but my god has he improved this season. He is playing out of position in the role that he is playing and yet this season he has been at times a saviour to some of our performances.
      The United game showed that, he and Mascherano made the Manure midfield look non existent and look like amateurs.

Yes Lucas is not good enough for the starting XI but my god does he have the heart and commitment to wear the Liverbird on his chest. He has been knocked down by most of our fans but yet he still comes back fighting. Yet there are players like Ryan Babel who has the talent to be one of the best in Europe yet he makes excuse after excuse.

*Rant Over*

I posted my team line up earlier in the thread and still stick by playing Gerrard centre mid with Mascherano, Kuyt and Benayoun on the wings and Aquilani behind Torres.

Aquilani can hit a ball as well as anyone in the team. (not Stevie) And is dying to get his 1st goal so a shoot on sight methid with him would be class. Gerrard would and always has had Fabregas in his Arse pocket so that kills off their creativity. Masch seems to cover alot for Johnson so the 2 of them will be able to stop Arshavin.

Torres would need 10 defenders to stop him getting at least a couple of chances in a game.

Kuyt would also track back and would give their left back a constant job to do.

Benayoun will rape any right back, centre back and left back in the league if they don't come to park the bus. (Not Arsenals style.)

Hope you understand what I mean ;D.

Reina
      Johnson  Carragher   Agger  Dossena
              Mascherano     Gerrard
      Kuyt                                  Benayoun
                             Aquilani
                           Torres

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2009 01:23:10 pm by danny8t4 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #129: Dec 13, 2009 01:19:14 pm
                            Reina
      Johnson    Carra      Agger     Aurelio
                     Masch     Lucas
      Benayoun       Gerrard         Dossena
                           Torres

Maybe swap Gerrard and Yossi around at times. About time Insua and Kuyt got dropped but to be honest, I can't see it. Aquilani should drop to the bench as I think we need both Masch and Lucas on to contain Arsenal. Get Alberto on with around 25 minutes to go if we're struggling.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #130: Dec 13, 2009 01:30:23 pm
      To be honest I feel thats an unfair criticism of the lads.

Those two lads did say things like 'wake up' and 'I don't care what anyone says', though mate. Gonna get a reaction.

Anyway, who is fired up for this one?!! COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

Hate this waiting around for a match to kick off.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #131: Dec 13, 2009 01:32:30 pm
      We need to maintain most of the possesion albeit Lucas plays the simple ball he keeps our ball possesion going. Plus he can defend smartly at times well most of the time. We need not make this the great discussion worrying about creativity as with Gerrard, Johnson, Torres and Benayoun there's enough there. I want Aquilani to play and if he does that's even more attacking! Yet Lucas is more likely to help out defensively and keep the ball working.

I would go for...

Reina

Johnson    Carra      Agger     Aurelio

Masch     Lucas

Gerrard         Aquilani         Benayoun          

Torres

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #132: Dec 13, 2009 01:34:14 pm
      Those two lads did say things like 'wake up' and 'I don't care what anyone says', though mate. Gonna get a reaction.

Anyway, who is fired up for this one?!! COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

Hate this waiting around for a match to kick off.

True I'm just grouchy this morning ha. :D

I'm fired up, I've got a good feeling about today 3 points and a 2-1 victory is what I'm expecting.

zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #133: Dec 13, 2009 01:34:30 pm
      Ho, ho. ho, ....

Massive game after yesterday results, like somebody just said, we NEED THE 3 POINTS, how we get it is not important as long as we get it.

I can't wait now, time seems to pass too slow.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #134: Dec 13, 2009 01:34:59 pm
      Nothing against Lucas, think he is an improving player, but today we need Alberto to start to find passes, cut open defences and not be as defensive.

Arsenal are a team who can rip teams apart with their passing and i just dont think Lucas is up for that challenge just yet.

3-1 Redmen
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #135: Dec 13, 2009 01:36:07 pm
      Rafa salutes Brazilian ace

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/rafa-salutes-brazilian-ace

Rafa Benitez has praised the quality of Fabio Aurelio as he prepares to make his 100th appearance for the club against Arsenal on Sunday.

The Brazilian full-back returned to action as a late substitute against Fiorentina and could return to the starting line-up against Arsene Wenger's side at Anfield.

"Fabio is a player with quality," Rafa told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He is also a very good professional and a nice lad. Every manager and every player would be pleased to have Fabio in their team.

"The problem with Fabio has been his injuries but if he can be available we will be very pleased because he has the quality we are looking for in a left-back or left-winger we have used him recently.

"His deliveries from set pieces are very good and it is very dangerous for us. When he plays we have better possession because he has quality."

Meanwhile, the boss believes Scouse defender Stephen Darby will come back a stronger player following the unfortunate error that resulted in Fiorentina's winning goal on Wednesday night.

The reserve team captain was making his first competitive start for the club and made a favourable impression on Benitez overall.

"I thought his performance wasn't bad," the boss added. "I have watched and analysed the game again and he was doing well. I was really disappointed for him as always for a young player to make a mistake in the last minute is bad and then to lose the game it is worse.

"He was down in the dressing room after the game but we were supporting him. This can happen sometimes in football.

"The main thing is to show character and show you want to improve and change things. To stay disappointed and be a little bit down is normal but you have to be ready for the next training session.

"He did well in training on Friday and he was working hard as always so while I think it is something that will be on his mind for a while I am sure he will progress, continue to improve and be the player that he was before."

I think we can take that from that Aurelio is almost certain to start.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #136: Dec 13, 2009 01:43:14 pm
      I think we can take that from that Aurelio is almost certain to start.

Aye, wonder if that means Insua will be dropped or if Aurelio will come in at the expense of Yossi? Hmmmm.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #137: Dec 13, 2009 01:44:26 pm
      Or he just wants him to sign a F***ing contract!

Would be happy with that.

I'll admit if they start Aquilani over Lucas partnering Mascherano, I will be a little bit worried we will get overrun.

IF Aquilani starts I hope he plays higher up the pitch.

And if Aquilani plays higher up the pitch than Alonso, we could be in trouble with the low confidence in the side. They killed our midfield last season in the 4-4 when they had the ball, so i would be reserved in starting Aquilani.

Lucas and Masch to bring it home in midfield. I can still see 3 Mancs in Lucas' back pocket.

Quick Reply