Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Glen Johnson: RB or on the wing?

RB
      (17.2%)
      Winger
      (68.7%)
      Undecided (for Bad Boy Bubby ;))
      (14.1%)

Glen Johnson, RB or RM?

Read 15945 times
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: Glen Johnson, RB or RM?
      Reply #92: Nov 07, 2010 12:49:12 pm

Seven words.

Bacon-face isn't known for his tactical nuance.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #93: Nov 07, 2010 01:03:33 pm
      why must we take a good player out of his position and put him in a other position even if he can play good in that position .The problem with us we must try to get good wingers ...is good that he go foward a lot and create goals for us that is a bonus.. but for me our team wil be good if we have good wingers and a RB and LB who can also  join the attack...at least we have Jhonson in one positoin... we must just get good players on the wings and good LB and not play Jhonson out of his position

Well we've got another two months before we have the opportunity to buy another winger that's a lot of games and even then buying a winger won't necessarily be our main priority ahead of a striker for example.

And also you have to wonder how much are we sacrificing as far as defending is concerned playing with attacking fullbacks. It's certainly not what our team has been used to over the years, since we've played the likes of Arbeloa at right back before him. Is our defence capable enough to cover with one or more full backs bombing forward, neither Carragher,Skrtel, Kyrgiakos or Agger are particularly pacey defenders who are adept at covering counter attacks quickly, we're often caught out by pacey players anyway.

Point being I think we could utilise Johnson's, skill, pace and goal scoring ability without having to abandon his defensive abilities if he was given a couple at right wing, I honestly think he's our most talented and natural wide player in the entire squad and to me it seems risky that we've sometimes been reliant on our right back to break teams down.

I'd love to see Kelly introduced at right back more often in Premier league games we're expected to win, and perhaps more comfortable at defending at Johnson since he's a natural centre back. And if this doesn't work then he can always revert back to his attacking fullback role.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #94: Nov 07, 2010 01:08:48 pm
      I'm afraid he can't defend to the standard we need. Give him a run Right Midfield with Kelly behind him.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #95: Nov 07, 2010 01:32:32 pm
      Rumour in the game thread that we might just be getting our wish... fingers crossed!
      RedHon
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #96: Nov 07, 2010 02:03:05 pm
      Based on Johnson's current performance and availability of players, I think Johnson will better as RM with Kelly taking the RB position. There will certainly be more crosses down the right.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6969 
      Reply #97: Nov 07, 2010 02:05:48 pm
      I'll stand over my assertion that, if you're "undecided", you don't actually have an opinion and shouldn't either post or vote.  >:D

Think of it like spoiling your ballot paper. ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #98: Nov 07, 2010 06:48:09 pm
      I chose right back because that's his position, and although as a club we've seen many players change positions to great success, I don't think Johnson would be one of them. He's not a right winger by any stretch of the imagination. Johnson's attacking strength is overlapping like a full back should.

This doesn't mean I want him to play though. Because I don't. I'd rather Kelly at right back. But the poll is about Johnson's position and if he has to play, then I'd have him at right back. But for Liverpool Football Club, I'd have him on the bench behind Kelly who again proved just how reliable he can be.
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #99: Nov 07, 2010 07:48:13 pm
      Can't defend, no positional sense, excellent going forward, pacy, strong, good shot.  Right midfielder for me.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #100: Nov 07, 2010 09:23:29 pm
      Hes got to be at right wing now martin played so well
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #101: Nov 07, 2010 09:36:31 pm
      RB for me but I agree that Kelly should keep his place as things stand.
      I wouldn't object to trying Glen at RM, maybe in the FA Cup or Europa tie that's a formality. Would be interesting to see.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #102: Nov 07, 2010 09:45:33 pm
      Cant defend, switches off too much at the back and is a lyability to have there. He passes like a defender, not a player who has played all his life passing to try to create something.
       Certainly not a winger, he doesnt have that attack minded mentality or forward instincts.
      dont really see much future for him, but very very rarely he does something spectacular that gets people on his side.
      He is a bit of a poor mans Alan Hutton at Spurs. Cant really defend but better going foreward.
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #103: Nov 07, 2010 09:56:11 pm
      What about this lineup for the next match:

Pepe

Kelly Carra Greek  Konchesky

Johnson Gerrard  Lucas  Maxi

Kuyt/N'Gog

Torres

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #104: Nov 07, 2010 11:22:32 pm
      Bench
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #105: Nov 08, 2010 07:41:25 am
      Uhm how about the bench ? After yesterdays game after seeing Kelly playing , the boys is good , just need more experience . I'd have Kelly over Johnson .
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #106: Nov 08, 2010 09:47:45 am
      Its either right midfield or the bench for me going on Martin Kellys performance against Chelsea. If rumours are to be believed then Johnson could be on his way to Juventus in January anyway. I,d give him a couple of games at RM as this is defo not Miereles,s best position.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #107: Nov 08, 2010 12:22:41 pm
      I'll stand over my assertion that, if you're "undecided", you don't actually have an opinion and shouldn't either post or vote.  >:D

I have to say, I'm not sure whether I agree with that or not.

;)
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #108: Nov 08, 2010 04:54:46 pm
      JH said he can buy world class players but the age must be right  and I also think that Bale have all the requirements ...even that his coach said that he is not for sale why don't we make our first move before other teams get him.

By "Bale" I think he meant "look at the difference in Bale's performance as a LW and the effect he is having for Tottenham Hotspur, I wonder whether Johnson would do the same for Liverpool if he were switched to the right wing"
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #109: Nov 08, 2010 04:56:16 pm
      Don't agree with benching Johnson, think he'd make a great RW.  Agree that Kelly is our RB though.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #110: Nov 08, 2010 06:00:43 pm
      Never hurts to have depth. Would love to see him get a shot at RW, but I don't see it happening under Grandpa Woy. He has the attributes to be a setter than average Winger.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #111: Nov 08, 2010 06:04:31 pm
      Right back or right midfield? After yesterday right on the bench I'd say!!

No not really - but RB is Kelly's spot now.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #112: Nov 08, 2010 06:05:02 pm
      I feel he is much more effextive on the wing rather than full back. But we don't really have a great right back at the moment as Carra is a centre back and Kelly/Darby are a bit young and   in- experienced to play every game. So undecided at the moment.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #113: Nov 08, 2010 06:41:31 pm
      I'm afraid he can't defend to the standard we need. Give him a run Right Midfield with Kelly behind him.

Spot on with this suggestion, Kelly is a rock in the back for being so young and he plays well with Carra by his side. Johnson has been a fiend down the right it would be great if he only had to track back half way and keep up the pressure from the right.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #114: Nov 08, 2010 06:47:59 pm
      Kelly under the tuitelage of Carra could be a fantastic right back for us. It would allow Johnson to do what he does best. His hair. . . On a serious note glad Johnson has serious competition at right back now and I think they would work well together on the right

Quick Reply