Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

2009 - the highs and lows of LFC?

Read 2897 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      2009 - the highs and lows of LFC?
      Dec 23, 2009 01:04:54 am
      The highs unquestionably the best ever points total in the Premiership.  A points tally that would have won the reds the Premiership title in 15 of the last 17 Premier League years. Without question Liverpool's best ever league performance since the last title and their 3rd best ever league campaign in the club's history.

The lows have no doubt been the shocking start to this league campaign.  We all had our hopes raised so much by our end of season form only to see us fail to build on it with serious player investment and due to our terrible results and performances our title race is effectively over already.

But as I look forward to 2010 I know full well that the true supporters of the club will once again bond together. As we have in all the many dark times in the last 25 years.

I think the majority of people will probably agree with me on the 'general' highs and lows of this year so my question is a little bit more specific.

Which game/transfer deals/off the field moments were your highs and lows of LFC in 2009?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: 2009 - the highs and lows of LFC?
      Reply #1: Dec 23, 2009 01:09:29 am
      Think the biggest high was stuffing the Mancs 4-1 on their own turf and Nando putting 5 fingers up to their fans after his goal.

The biggest low, apart from this season so far has to be the amount of injuries Torres has had, without these injuries I'm confident he could have fired us to the title last season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2: Dec 23, 2009 01:10:03 am
      High was obviously the 4-1 at Old Trafford.

Low was just missing out on the title.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Dec 23, 2009 01:11:16 am
      High for me still is the 1-4 at the toilet. Was the first time in years me and my manc loving mate back in Aus had watched a game between the two teams that Liverpool won, and after a bunch of games in which I was left shattered, to rub it in his face was f**king brilliant. He walked out after the 4th goal punching the door, and I just laughed yelling "4-1, 4-1, 4-1!"

The whole end to the campaign was brilliant to watch, even the 4-4 against Arsenal was spectacular as far as a showpiece of football. The Madrid results too were brilliant. Still hurts to think we were so close yet so far on the title though, but overall fantastic end to the season.

Lows? Don't even get me started.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #4: Dec 23, 2009 03:37:32 am
      The biggest high had to be the 4-1 drubbing at Old Trafford. I don't think there has been a league result in my lifetime that has made me so happy (well I was born just before the last title win but you know what I mean).

The lows have been June until now to be honest but a specific low from the year I think was the second leg against Chelsea. When we went two up I thought "this is it, this will be one of the greatest European nights in the history of the club". In the end it was a crazy rollercoaster of emotions that ended in heartache.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #5: Dec 23, 2009 05:21:45 am
      Ill Have to go with the rest of you and say my High was F***ing up the Mancs 4-1.I went to watch that match in a pub in SA.There was about 200 Liverpool supporters and about 50 Manc supporters.When they scored first the Mancs went wild and were jumping,screaming and singing,little did those bas**rds know.When the final whistle went those cu*ts didnt know where to put their heads.The atmosphere was great in that pub and was the closest i felt to Anfield.

The low has been our current run of form.It puts me in a terrible mood to see our boys losing to the likes of Pompey and getting chucked out of the CL,not all faith is lost.We are F***ing LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB and we will come back.

YNWA
      IRWT
      THIS IS ANFIELD

You have been warned!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #6: Dec 23, 2009 08:20:41 am
      Cant argue with the win at Old Trafford but Fulham away sticks with me as well.

We battered them all game and I think hit the bar about 4 times then in the last minute Yossi scores. Our end went berserk, people jumping all over each other and then staying behind 30 minutes after the game had ended singing "were gonna win the league"....brilliant but the end was not to be.

Downers - all this season, nothing positive at all so far.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Dec 23, 2009 08:22:22 am
      The high - definitely the run in last season. It was so exciting to watch.

The low - the off-field crap once again.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Dec 23, 2009 08:37:34 am
      The high - definitely the run in last season. It was so exciting to watch.

Agree, our charge towards the end of the season was magnificent, and whilst it wasn't enough to win the title, it was brilliant to see the fighting spirit from the lads, it's been sorely missed this season.

Down side? More or less everything this season. The injuries, Aquilani hardly playing, the defeats, getting knocked out of the Champion's League.

Also, Alonso leaving over the summer. Not only had a big impact on the field, but the amount of time the transfer took we had little time to replace him.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #9: Dec 23, 2009 08:40:44 am
      the high - the end of last season

the low - the crappy form this season
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #10: Dec 23, 2009 08:58:23 am
      The high- end part of the last season.
      The low- whole of this season.

P.S. One particular high was 13th March 2009 (remeber 4-1 @ old trafford  ;) ). Can't forget that day for my entire life.  :D
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #11: Dec 23, 2009 10:01:22 am
      High point: Although the 4-1 win over the Mancs was a great result, the Champions league 2nd leg match against Chelsea, which finished 4- 4, stands out for me. Even though we still got knocked out, the fighting spirit and determination from the lads was just lovely to see. I wish the players played like this in some of the matches this season.

Low points: The way we started this season due to sheer bad luck, all the injuries and off-field problems.   
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Dec 23, 2009 10:14:16 am
      2009:

High = The anticipation of us setting out to win and spank teams (particularly the scum).

Low = The trepidation of us setting out not to lose 'the next game'.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #13: Dec 23, 2009 10:33:59 am
      High - The golden run during which we thrashed Scums,Madrid and Aston Villa.That iconic image of Torres putting his 5 fingers up in the faces of all Scums will live on forever.

Low - The pathetic form this season and the even pathetic reaction of ours as players and supporters in these tough times.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #14: Dec 23, 2009 11:04:54 am
      Highs :- Beating the scum 4-1 B.E.A.U.TIFUL

Lows :- After looking at those poor kids at that are spending christmas in  Alder Hey hospital .....Cant say there have been any lows to be honest!

(Puts life and football into perspective)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Dec 23, 2009 11:07:10 am

Lows :- After looking at those poor kids at that are spending christmas in  Alder Hey hospital .....Cant say there have been any lows to be honest!

Very true.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Dec 23, 2009 11:50:22 am
      Highs :- Beating the scum 4-1 B.E.A.U.TIFUL

Well i guess that's the end of this thread then.  :-\
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Dec 23, 2009 11:53:25 am
      Well I guess that's the end of this thread then.  :-\

No thats an opinion !
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Dec 23, 2009 11:56:20 am

Aye and so was that.  Happy Christmas.  :)
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #19: Dec 23, 2009 11:59:06 am
      Aye and so was that.  Happy Christmas.  :)
      Sorry !Happy christmas mate  :)
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #20: Dec 23, 2009 12:43:58 pm
      4-1 at OT was the high.

Losing at Middlesboro and drawing at home with City is the joint low - two results that cost us the title!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #21: Dec 23, 2009 10:10:06 pm
      High points ...beating Man u
      Nearly getting the title

Low points ....underperforming this season
      H & G still here
      The poor behaviour of ( now departed ) player at the memorial to the Hillsborough tragedy
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #22: Dec 23, 2009 10:12:28 pm
      Highs:

The trouncing of United, Madrid, Villa in the space of more or less a week. That was F***ing superb.

Also getting so close to winning the title.

Lows:

Generally flattering to decieve this season.

Getting knocked out of the CL.

Quick Reply