Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Lunar Eclipse Tonight 20th/21st December

Read 2381 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Lunar Eclipse Tonight 20th/21st December
      Dec 20, 2010 02:22:14 pm
      Overview of the total lunar eclipse on December 21st

A marvelous astronomical event will soon be upon many of us living on Earth. Just after midnight, during the morning of December 21st, a total lunar eclipse, the last one of the year, will be visible throughout most of the world. This is the second of two lunar eclipses to occur this year, but the first total lunar eclipse since February 21, 2008.

Observers in western South America and North America will have an excellent chance to view the lunar eclipse from beginning to end since the moon will be nearly directly overheard in these locations. While some of the eclipse will be visible throughout most of the world, only those situated in western South America and North America will see the eclipse from start to finish.

Most of Africa and Europe will be experiencing moonset during the eclipse’s progression, but portions of the eclipse will be visible when the moon sets at dawn. Only Scandinavians living in the north will be able to catch the entire event in Europe.  For observers in western Asia and Australia, you will be able to see parts of the eclipse when the Moon rises at sunset.

None of the Eclipse will be visible from the Middle East, southern and eastern Africa, or southern Asia. For specifics on the status of this stunning and rare experience, locate your location below take a look at our in-depth section for more information about lunar eclipses.

How do I observe a lunar eclipse? Is it safe to gaze?

Unlike solar eclipses, all lunar eclipses are completely safe to watch without the use of special glasses or filters. All you need is your two eyes, and maybe a cup of your favorite drink to keep you warm.

A telescope or binoculars are not required to view a lunar eclipse, but these instruments may come in handy if you do use them.  A standard pair of 7x50 or 7x35 binoculars would help magnify your view, thus making the red coloration on the moon brighter and easier to see.

Click on the link and scroll down to your country for viewing times: 

http://www.spacedex.com/lunar-eclipse/
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Lunar Eclipse Tonight 20th/21st December
      Reply #1: Dec 20, 2010 03:18:45 pm
      Nice one Vicky, I like things like that. The only thing that worries me is what if you've only got one eye?  ;)
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #2: Dec 21, 2010 02:28:36 am
      You know I'm watching. :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #3: Dec 21, 2010 02:45:24 am
      Saw one in Turkey, an eclipse I mean some of the things I've seen in Turkey don't bear talking about, it was a full eclipse of the moon and with the half light at night over there it was even more dramatic-me being pissed as a fart certainly added to the effect. It was weird tho in between alehouses everything just went black!! Nothing unusual I hear you say but at the time it was a conundrum.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Dec 21, 2010 10:18:23 am
      Anyone see this?  It was too cloudy here in Liverpool  :(
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #5: Dec 21, 2010 10:23:13 am
      Massive snow cloud hiding it over here in Ireland. Did get a bit of  red part of the sky but dunno whether that was to do with the eclipse or not.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #6: Dec 21, 2010 01:50:46 pm
      Saw a bit of it, Vicky. It was very cool.

Apparently, with this series of eclipses there is a paired solar eclipse which occurs two weeks later. We're not going to see it over here, but you all are supposed to be able to see it. It's some time in the beginning of January. I don't know the date.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2010 02:28:38 pm
      Saw a bit of it, Vicky. It was very cool.

Apparently, with this series of eclipses there is a paired solar eclipse which occurs two weeks later. We're not going to see it over here, but you all are supposed to be able to see it. It's some time in the beginning of January. I don't know the date.

4th January.

Couldn't see this one, too cloudy. Hoping to see that solar eclipse though.
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2010 02:37:33 pm by Bpatel »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2010 06:59:14 pm
      Sydney misses out both times. What a bi*ch :D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2010 07:53:51 pm
      4th January.

Couldn't see this one, too cloudy. Hoping to see that solar eclipse though.

Just had a look on the NASA site and it looks like it will be approx from 8.25am till 9.30 am in the morn in the UK  :D

Hope its a nice clear morning  :)

Will defo be up, first day back at work after the Christmas Break  :(
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Dec 25, 2010 03:34:33 pm
      Sydney misses out both times. What a bi*ch :D

Could have sworn I witnessed one tonight.

Was with my girl up at Newport beach brilliant place to be nice clear sky for it too!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Dec 25, 2010 03:41:15 pm
      Could have been mate. I heard after i posted that, that we get only get one hour viewing on our side of the country the second time it happens but miss out on the first one altogether.

Quick Reply