Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool Man of the Match v Reading

Lucas Leiva
      (37.4%)
      Pepe Reina
      (41.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (20.9%)

Reading 1-1 Liverpool - Post Match

Read 15907 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Reading 1-1 Liverpool - Post Match
      Reply #69: Jan 02, 2010 10:25:08 pm
      look at the team that started vs villa and then post back as your post is incorrect,not only were there changes the changes changed the way we played.

vs Villa                                     vs Reading

Reina                                      Reina

Agger                                     Skrtel
      Johnson                                  Darby
      Insua                                      Insua
      Carra                                      Carra

Gerrard                                   Gerrard
      Kuyt                                       Kuyt
      Lucas                                      Lucas
      Yossi                                      Aurelio
      Aquilani                                   N'Gog

Torres                                    Torres

(Skrtel, Aurelio, Babel)           (Yossi, Aquilani)

4 changes and 1 was forced so when i said only about 2 changes were made i was right as it was only 3 Rafa decided to make so therefore your post is incorrect. Also, minus Babel and Agger it was the same lot of players that played against Villa (Minus Johnson too obviously).

Was hardly any changes, the only thing that changed is their attitude and desire to win the game.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #70: Jan 02, 2010 10:32:20 pm
      ^^ Exactly, i dont blame Rafa's selection all that much. There is a few id like to see play, but at the same time the ones on the pitch are good players when in form so Rafa is just banking on some better performances coming im thinking. The problem simply is attitude, and the players have gotten themselves down about the crappy start. Now they are in a slump because of that crappy start, which in turn is continuing the sh*te performances. They need to pull their heads out of their arses and work out that whats in the past is done, its what in front of you that matters. Take each game as it comes, you can't worry about the things that have happened and you cannot change.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #71: Jan 02, 2010 10:38:51 pm
      I thought it was a terrible game, playing a side who has won only one game at home this season yet they boss us pretty much in the second half, it was just a terrible effort all around except for Pepe. The big thing I notice which really hurt us was how poor the defenders are in moving the ball which really kills us. Carra I don't think is capable passing it on the grown, Skrtel look very shaky every time he touched the ball, Insua and Darby were also woeful in moving the ball. It seem like every time we won the ball they were looking to release Torres or Ngog on the run to beat the defender, only time we really look like a threat when we kept the ball, passed it around and open them up which happen for like 15 minute span of the game.

I read about certain players being sh*t but reality was all the players were pretty poor, just some were not as poor as others besides Pepe who was his usual self.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #72: Jan 02, 2010 10:53:17 pm
      All I've to say to describe that was shocking, that performance was just not good enough from a Liverpool team, shocked there is a man of the match poll because other than Torres the rest of them were disgraceful. No one in our midfield deserves to be in a man of the match poll because they were dreadful.

There is no point as well blaming the pitch because from what I saw only one team tried to play football and it wasn't us. Our only tactic seemed to be get the ball back to Carragher who launched it every F***ing time up to Torres. He must be getting sick of the style of football we are playing because it is absolutely awful we have become a long ball side.

I'm a big Rafa fan but I'm beginning to lose patience when I saw the team tonight I knew we would struggle. You need some bit of pace or creativity out wide and we have neither. Kuyt and Aurelio must be the slowest wide men in the Premiership. Both our left and right side of midfield is killing us this season and why we are struggling to break down teams because we have F**k all threat wide.

And to our full backs, again Insua was a weak link and seems incapable of dealing with players with pace surely Rafa can see it is time to start playing Aurelio there. On the other side it is clear as day Darby is not ready for the first team, he is neither quick or physical enough. I've watched him a lot in the reserves and always thought he would struggle on the step up. He needs to be loaned out and hopefully he will develop because at the moment he is not good enough.

Thought Torres did okay tonight and along with Skrtel is the only players that shouldn't be ashamed after there performance tonight. Ngog has a long long way yet to go and he was extremely poor tonight.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #73: Jan 02, 2010 11:10:27 pm
      Spot on that Corbally I haven't even voted for a man of the match because there are no Reading players on it and that for me reflects how sh*te we were tonight.

Edit: I'd rather have went out with a bang, than forced a replay on a whimper, the performances the players are putting out  are lacking any heart and the desire to win games, there is no passion or drive, not even from our usually talismanic skipper and its getting beyond the joke now, its got me wondering is there issues going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of ?
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #74: Jan 02, 2010 11:13:29 pm
      The reason we struggle is we have no width , i cant remember any attacking play down the left side Aurallio is played to protect Insua who in my opinion is our weak link and teams know it so instead of going forward Aurallio is having cover Insua who is always out of position , my other concern is apart from Stevie G can anyone partner Torres , i think Nandos style of play means we cant play a 4 4 2 leaving us short of attacking options.

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #75: Jan 02, 2010 11:15:17 pm
      We were embarrassing to be frank.

I find it hard to understand how we can
      be so poor.We were up against a struggling
      managerless championship side & they should
      probably beaten us.

That performance was an affront to the red shirt.

I feel sorry very sorry for our travelling support.
      They have had the piss taken out of them today.

Rafa do yourself a favour get Kenny in day to day
      while you still can because the team isnt playing for
      YOU

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #76: Jan 03, 2010 12:24:04 am
      Can we add our travelling supporters to the man of the match poll? They deserve it more then any of the players. Goodnight
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #77: Jan 03, 2010 12:33:34 am
      Bloody hell. Expected to come back to a win, at least.

From the sounds of it Dirk was his usual 2009/10 self, Insua too.

Lucas MOTM? F**k me. If he gets credit as being MOTM then people must of been pissed off.

Without being able to pass judgement on the game, i'm disappointed we have to replay this tie during an important time where we can use a break/concentrate on the league.
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #78: Jan 03, 2010 12:52:54 am
      I think we are missing Riera in a big way
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #79: Jan 03, 2010 01:49:17 am
      Missed the match. And by the looks of it, we played pathetic? Is it so?

The only positive I see on reading the match reports is that we managed to get a replay.
      Good Lord, pick yourselves up Liverpool!
      After two consecutive wins, a really hoped we would put out a good performance, if not excellent. :(
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #80: Jan 03, 2010 03:16:30 am
      over the years liverpool have had a hard time with clubs in the lower divisions, remember,burnley, barnsley,watford deja vue
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #81: Jan 03, 2010 03:22:36 am
      Ive never seen the confidence in Liverpool players be so low in all the years ive been watching them play, they have it bad  ::) come to think of it? they have it really bad. Whats happened to Gerrard?. Why's he playing so poor?. A replay is the last thing the team needs now that their in the Europa League.

Yeah, I dont think he was having a dig Dmasta, he was just saying what all of us have been saying.

Still a manc pr**k though ;)
      So that's not him being a little smart arse?
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #82: Jan 03, 2010 03:25:25 am
      How is Lucas in the MOTM poll? I must have been watching a different game than everyone else because I thought he was crap, just like the majority of the team. The only positive I took from this match was Darby's performance. He looked assured and capable and was our best player by a good distance in my opinion.
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Reply #83: Jan 03, 2010 03:27:13 am
      F**k me kuyt is playing so bad its not funny....I cant beleive rafa takes off ngog who looked lively all game instead of kuyt, who did jack all. he needs to be benched until he can pass a ball 5 metres and stops flicking on useless balls. As much as i rate kuyt he isnt playing good enough at all.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #84: Jan 03, 2010 03:51:39 am
      Think people are getting needlessly depressed, thats the FA Cup for you, and now we have another match to watch no doubt on the tele, and I reckon we will put 6 past them at Anfield which can only be good for confidence :)
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #85: Jan 03, 2010 05:21:35 am
      How is Lucas in the MOTM poll? I must have been watching a different game than everyone else because I thought he was crap, just like the majority of the team. The only positive I took from this match was Darby's performance. He looked assured and capable and was our best player by a good distance in my opinion.

Got to say Lucas was a far more assured player on the ball, he supplied that through ball for Torres which very nearly resulted in a goal, can't remember him making a stray pass, looking more adventurous etc. Did the simple things well, but I thought he was by far the best player in the first half.

Good shout on Darby I thought he was excellent considering this is his 2nd start. As always willingness to fight, willingness to get stuck in and cover up the positions, they didn't threaten us as much on the left while they ripped Insua to bits on their right.

Darby was consistent, make some vital tackles in a game where our players were just sleeping. A decent shout on MotM as well.

Worrying times though when Lucas and Darby are one of the voted players for MotM, as is Kelly during the CL. It means the first team isn't performing.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #86: Jan 03, 2010 06:24:22 am
      I still think Dani Pacheco would have been a handful but now we'll never know. On the game itself, they never let us settle once and the ref left a lot of 50/50 balls that ended stuck in players tangled legs, go, he should never referee another game as some players are lucky to get out of that game with legs intact. When is the standard of the refs going to improve in this league.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #87: Jan 03, 2010 06:42:23 am
      By the sounds of this post, makes me feel glad I missed the match.  Not even going to bother looking at the replay.  Atleast we didn't lose.  Come On liverpool we got to pick ourselves up fast.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #88: Jan 03, 2010 08:00:08 am
      Thats where we are then.

Fighting in the FA Cup fielding a full strength side against a team 20th in a lower division........

and we still couldnt do it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #89: Jan 03, 2010 08:02:42 am
      Not over yet.

I remember seeing us shipping goals to Luton the year we last won the FA Cup.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #90: Jan 03, 2010 09:42:57 am
      The problem is not the result but the manner in which we played we looked incapable of stringing two passes together against a poor First Division team and why I think our problems are far from over.

We completely lacked creativity and we must be the slowest Liverpool team in a long long time barring Torres and maybe Gerrard the rest of them are as slow as sh*t.

Pace is very important in the modern game and we have very little of it.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #91: Jan 03, 2010 09:51:14 am
      N'Gog seems pretty fast to me, and although he couldn't play yesterday Johnson is fairly nippy.

I think the problem yesterday, and a lot this season, is that there was no pace on the wings. I think that's why Torres was getting dragged out wide so often to try and exploit the space behind their full backs.

Quick Reply