Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Do We Miss Riera?

Read 7755 times
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Do We Miss Riera?
      Jan 07, 2010 01:49:12 pm
      No this is a I miss Albert Riera

Now in a time like this where we are missing an integral dimension to our squad some will argue Xabi Alonso some will say the leadership of Sami Hyppia, I would like to go out on a ledge and say the player we are missing the most is the one Albert Riera. Not sure we are missing the exquisite passing of Xabi Alonso that much, I’ve seen some splendid one this season.  We are missing that player who is most likely to take on players and enough creating space for Gerrard to exploit. Reira was that player we always needed in our squad, and it showed last season what a massive difference it truly made having someone taking on players with confidence and assurance, constantly making runs to promote the forward play. No doubt this has its clause in a defensive perspective but it was his job to take the play forwards and not backwards. For that he was a brilliant buy and he did prove to be very effective in his first season. We can remember myriads of exciting play coming through the right wing that caused many other deep players to push forward in support. We would all say it would be prudent to have Reira playing with the ever reliable Fabio Aurelio, well at least most.

As for this season Riera has had a torrid time as it regards niggling injuries, not disregarding those from last season as well where we missed him in important matches. That he could have been that player to take on one and two players to be that creative nucleus in pushing on. Reira has yet to have a good run of games due to injury and I say with confidence once he’s back we will see the full flowing football we are capable of run. The extra snappiness about our past and the pace of it all will increase.

So this argument of Xabi Alonso being the big miss is a miss with me, I can’t see how his passing especially would be affecting the team. As we still are being to get the balls to the wingers albeit short or long. We still still have influential players like Pepe, Carragher and Torres who inspire the squad no doubt. And that is leaving out perhaps the most inspiring of players one Steven Gerrard. Xabi was good for us and that’s as far as it goes, gave us a lot but when tempted he gave us very little. People talk about attitude towards the club; I don’t think I will ever see Ryan Babel hand in a transfer request no matter how lazy he is. Which bring me to another point, Reira is highly more effective at the start of a game. He warms up to a game much more than Ryan Babel does. That being said why people have a problem with Babel coming off the bench if he’s an influential player off it?

Seriously Reira is his senior and Babel has loads to give off the bench. Yes he is lazy and that’s why I feel giving him 20mins is what we can ask of him right now until the services of Reira are no longer available, then we could ask more of his insouciant behavioural patterns to get rid and a consistent player arise throughout the 90mins. Unless you play him regularly, so Riera here for me is very significant both for the cultivating of our squad today and the grooming of tomorrow, Ryan Babel is tomorrow. Would you argue not to take his invigorating 15mins? Would you not prefer Riera being injury free and offering much more on the left? Yossi playing where he should which is off the striker? Doesn’t that sound ok going forward?
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2010 02:44:23 pm by Bpatel »
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Re: Not another I miss Xabi thread?
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2010 02:42:28 pm
      Where we took off last season, IMO, was when Riera was actually OUT of the side and Yossi came in to fill the left flank.  Masc, Alonso, Kuyt, Yossi, Gerrard. All players were in form and that midfield absolutely murdered every other midfield in the league.

Personally, Riera is a player who is just above average. Could get into the majority of premiership sides, but he will always struggle pushing for a starting place in any team inside the top 6. The top 6 i am refering to are: Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, City and I doubt he would get into the Villa side either. Young/Downing/Milner or Riera? See my point?

I do agree with you that we are certainly missing width though and Aurelio isn't the answer to play left midfield IMO. Although he is one of my favourites, Yossi cannot always give us width either as he likes to cut inside etc.

Is Albi Riera the man for that job? For me, I don't think so.

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: Do We Miss Riera?
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2010 02:50:51 pm
      When he's playing, there is definitely more venom in the team and a greater desire to charge at the goal which is what I like to see, so yes for me this season we are missing him a bit whilst he's injured, I don't think we've seen the best of him yet either.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2010 05:28:02 pm
      I actually spent the time to read the first post cos I thought it was a joke.I must be missing something here as Riera for me has to be one of the BIG dissapointments with the odd exception.He rarely gets to the bye line and has the ball taken off him far too often.NO I don't think he's missed.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2010 05:29:47 pm
      Who's Miss Reira?  She a new member ? :D  Don't tell Ross  ;)
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2010 06:09:18 pm
      ;D Ok man I missed that sorry we all know Riera. But yeah my point is we need a player that takes on players as the passing is not really an issue at the moment and in our squad Riera is the best person to do so.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2010 06:12:26 pm
      Who's Miss Reira?  She a new member ? :D  Don't tell Ross  ;)

Who?! What?! Where?! How?!

;)

On topic. I think we do. At the end of the day it's another option isn't it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2010 06:26:45 pm
      Who's Miss Reira?  She a new member ? :D  Don't tell Ross  ;)

Would have to be Mr for Ross ;)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2010 06:28:29 pm
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2010 06:30:52 pm
      Blasphemy.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2010 06:35:15 pm
      Only this:- We are in some serious, deep, deep sh*t if we're missing Riera.  >:D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2010 06:40:44 pm
      Only this:- We are in some serious deep sh*t if we're missing Riera.  >:D

Bet you weren't saying this when he done this.

Riera Fantastic goal Riera

;)
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #12: Jan 07, 2010 06:49:15 pm
      At this moment in time we miss Kewell!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jan 07, 2010 06:51:28 pm
      At this moment in time we miss Kewell!

That's going a bit too far.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Jan 07, 2010 06:55:50 pm

What?!

No seriously....what?!

Are you (honestly) suggesting that
      the player we are missing the most is the one Albert Riera."
      ? Aww, for F**k's sake 7KK7.......What?!  :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #15: Jan 07, 2010 07:03:00 pm
      What?!

No seriously....what?!

Are you (honestly) suggesting that ? Aww, for f**k's sake 7KK7.......What?!  :lmao:

What? This makes no sense.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Jan 07, 2010 07:07:13 pm

You got that right.  :gt-happyup:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #17: Jan 07, 2010 07:08:31 pm

What am i not getting here or are you just having trouble with the english language tonight? :laugh:
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #18: Jan 07, 2010 07:09:55 pm
      Think we're missing the natural width a true lefty gives the team,he has a good work rate too.

However would only consider it one of the reasons why we've been poor for me and not the most important one.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Jan 07, 2010 07:20:45 pm
      What am i not getting here or are you just having trouble with the english language tonight? :laugh:

Yeah you're right. I guess the subtle nuances of sarcasm can be lost when written. Well either that or i've a very limited grasp of the English language. Most likely the latter.  :nod:

Oh and, back on topic: If we're missing Riera more than any other player then things must be bad because goal or no goal; he's a very ordinary player.  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #20: Jan 07, 2010 07:22:11 pm
      Yeah you're right. I guess the subtle nuances of sarcasm can be lost when written. Well either that or I've a very limited grasp of the English language. Most likely the latter.  :nod:

Yeah i'd go for the latter too ;)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #21: Jan 07, 2010 08:30:07 pm
      We don't miss Riera but we do miss the width he creates, we are badly lacking width on both flanks
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Jan 07, 2010 10:39:28 pm
      We don't miss Riera. Because when he goes on the pitch, he usually goes missing. So how can we miss him, when he's not playing?

Hmmm. Is that right?

Quick Reply