Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Do We Miss Riera?

Read 7756 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Do We Miss Riera?
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2010 11:39:14 pm
      We don't miss Riera. Because when he goes on the pitch, he usually goes missing. So how can we miss him, when he's not playing?

Hmmm. Is that right?

Yeah you'll normally find him in the middle so don't look out left.  ;D
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2010 11:56:32 pm
      Who's Riera?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2010 11:58:11 pm
      I think he's deeply missed, he's one of my favourite players actually and I think despite Dirk's ability, Reira and Yossi are a much more possitive attacking pair of wingers
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #26: Jan 08, 2010 07:52:57 am
      The guy who used to play for us about a 1000 years back. And has been absent ever since. Remember him? ;)
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #27: Jan 08, 2010 08:08:34 am
      While i think Riera is just a decent player i would rather have him playing than Aurelio and Dossena on the left mid. He does add decent balance and when he plays well he makes a big differance. Unfort that doesnt happen as often as it should.

No doubt we will buy another striker or full back and covert him into another sh*te wide man :P
      rief mlongo AL Kadrie
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #28: Jan 08, 2010 09:05:45 am
      riera is good player, and one of the best on left winger.......
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #29: Jan 08, 2010 09:50:16 am
      Without a doubt we DO miss Riera.

He provides us with natural width and is a decent player.

I see many posters saying he doesn't beat his man or get to the byline enough and again I would argue that is down more to our style of play than Riera's ability to do so.

How many matches have we seen over the past years when we get into decent areas both sides and the man out there cuts back inside. They all do it Riera, Babel, Yossi, Kuyt. I have been in the crowd many times and heard the collective groans of fellow supporters because we have no-one other than perhaps Torres as a target in the box. Sometimes we don't have anyone in there as Torres drops deep to get the ball.

LFC has always been about looking after the ball and not giving it away cheaply so ask yourself if you are the wide man and you look up and see no-one ahead of you in a decent position other than perhaps 1 man making a run what do you do..? Run blindly at your man and bang a cross into the box that misses your only target or keep possession and move again waiting for the next opportunity when there is more than the safe option available.

Personally i would like to see Babel & Riera running all day long at the full backs providing we have players busting a gut to get into the box and give them something to aim at.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #30: Jan 08, 2010 11:53:20 pm
      He's average and he's very lazy and he doesn't have that Liverpool fight in him IMO.

I certainly don't miss him.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #31: Jan 08, 2010 11:55:26 pm
      I don't miss the inbred, lazy tw*t.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2010 12:56:46 am
      No.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #33: Jan 09, 2010 03:42:08 am
      Don't quite understand where all this anti-Riera stuff has come from, he is a decent enough player, has natural width. Bit of a scapegoat for me.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #34: Jan 09, 2010 09:05:19 am

Don't quite understand where all this anti-Riera stuff has come from, he is a decent enough player, has natural width. Bit of a scapegoat for me.

Bottles gone,panicks on recieving a pass,NOT good enough.Was'nt even good enough for citeh,not scapegoating!he's crap.
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010 11:47:12 pm by MsGerrard »
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #35: Jan 09, 2010 09:14:19 am
      Well.....we miss a proper winger, which Reira is and when he plays our midfield has a lot more width.

The main problems for me are he never seems 100% fit and because of that he drifts out of games far too often. Saying that if we can get him 100% and he can stay injury free for any length of time, I think he could be like a new signing for us.

He had a big impact when he first joined, remember him having decent debut vs the mancs if memory serves me right?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2010 03:09:15 pm
      I reckon off the bench we might be missing him, but as a starting left winger i don't think so.

He usually rises to the challenge in periods throughout the game and the rest he's either; a) sh*t, or b) lazy.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #37: Jan 13, 2010 10:19:13 am
      I think he's deeply missed, he's one of my favourite players actually and I think despite Dirk's ability, Reira and Yossi are a much more positive attacking pair of wingers
      Agreed, Riera is a positive, attacking player who troubles defences. He hugs the touch line and gives full backs lots of problems. He can also score goals. IMO we are a better side when he plays. He provides the space by going wide for Torres and Gerrard to run in to because he stretches the game. He is really important when we are in the lead too because he is positive and always looking to put the opposition under pressure. The Villa game last season was a great example of his ability and importance. He can score goals too let's not forget. Personally I think his return could be really important and hopefully he will get better and better C mon Albi lad.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #38: Jan 13, 2010 10:24:01 am
      We missive a winger with a natural left foot and ability to beat people and cross. At the moment that is Riera for us. Moving forward it may not be.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #39: Jan 13, 2010 07:25:08 pm
      Thought his first 6 months were very impresive since then....... not so good, but we do miss width
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #40: Jan 22, 2010 05:22:24 pm
      Thought this deserved a bump considering his contribution against Tottenham, Perhaps we have missed Riera's natural width, although I'd put down the players attitude and determination as the biggest factor in the result, but it was good to see a natural winger staying wide and not drifting inside all the time and making us look narrow.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Jan 22, 2010 05:32:12 pm
      Glad to see a bit of width out against Spurs. With himself and Maxi there is a different dynamic available now along with Yossi and Kuyt who like to move infield
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 22, 2010 07:30:32 pm
      In general i don't see a point having 2 players going wide since the full backs going up so much but it is a good change.
      I would probably say we need more players that can scoop the ball in the net and we usually get that when we have players in the middle and all the back guys holding the midfield feeding them balls.
      Andrei
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 149 posts |
      • I'll think about something.
      Reply #43: Jan 22, 2010 09:06:15 pm
      A little bit harsh on him, are you, lads? I still think Riera is a good option but Rafa preferrs Benny for his defensive skills.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 22, 2010 09:45:49 pm
      Great to see Albi back in action and he contributed a great deal to our win over Spurs. Great footballer and is always positive. Keep it going Albi. YNWA
      redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Reply #45: Jan 22, 2010 10:22:20 pm
      In general I don't see a point having 2 players going wide since the full backs going up so much but it is a good change.

Well now that Riera is back Insua can just concentrate on defending rather than going forward. He makes defendng look hard enough without having to worry about joining the attack as well!

Riera can be hot and cold but he plays as a natural winger which we don't have and he has skill, pace, a decent strike and good in the air. We haven't had that since.......well since Stevie played on the right!

Quick Reply