Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Catalans, Basques and Spaniards - what's doing?

Read 2097 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Catalans, Basques and Spaniards - what's doing?
      Jan 04, 2010 07:42:21 pm
      What's the difference? Aren't they all Spanish?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Catalans, Basques and Spaniards - what's doing?
      Reply #1: Jan 04, 2010 07:46:07 pm
      Did someone mention basques?

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2: Jan 04, 2010 07:46:31 pm
      I think It's like the Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish and the English, but were all British. Modified to keep all you Irish happy  ;)
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2010 12:54:19 pm by gareth g »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jan 04, 2010 08:18:36 pm
      Did someone mention basques?

Your too damn quick Gow, your Wife is gonna be very disapointed. :lmao:
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 04, 2010 08:19:03 pm
      I think It's like the Welsh, Scottish, Irish and the English, but were all British.

Hold on a second here horsey I'm Irish and for you to call me 'british' is very offensive we fought for our freedom and would appreciate it to be recognised.... ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jan 04, 2010 08:20:39 pm
      Northern Irish then.

But I think it is a lot like the "troubles" in the 70's and 80's. They want independence and will do anything to get it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2010 09:02:32 am
      Hold on a second here horsey I'm Irish and for you to call me 'British' is very offensive we fought for our freedom and would appreciate it to be recognised.... ;)
      It's similar to the Irish Republic they want an independant state separate from Spain, they have their own language,culture and tradition and have been waging a guerrilla campaign for decades.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2010 03:31:34 pm by stuey »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jan 08, 2010 10:29:53 am
      I think It's like the Welsh, Scottish, Irish and the English, but were all British.

Eh no.... We're Irish.... Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, England all British.
      Southern Ireland... Banana Republic
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Jan 08, 2010 10:55:23 am
      [Catalonia, alongside Basque Country and Galicia was set apart from the rest of Spain as a Historical nationality and given the ability to accede to autonomy automatically, which resulted in the 1979 Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia. The rest of Spain, in a process spearheaded by Andalusia and completed by 1985, carved itself into 14 additional Autonomous Communities by drafting their own Statutes of Autonomy. After 2003 there has been a round of amendments to the various Statutes of Autonomy (notably, alongside Catalonia's, those of Aragon, the Valencian Community, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands)

Both the 1979 Statute of Autonomy and the current one, approved in 2006, state that Catalonia, as a nationality, exercises its self-government constituted as an autonomous community in accordance with the Constitution and with the Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia, which is its basic institutional law.[9]

The Preamble of the 2006 Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia states the Parliament of Catalonia defined Catalonia as a nation, but that the Spanish Constitution recognizes Catalonia's national reality as a nationality[10]. The Preamble of the Statute lacks legal value, thus the constitutional status is the same as it was in 1979, which is an Autonomous Community. While this Statute was approved by and sanctioned by both the Catalan and the Spanish parliaments, and later by referendum in Catalonia, it has been legally contested by the surrounding Autonomous Communities of Aragon, Balearic Islands and the Valencian Community,[11] as well as by the Partido Popular. The objections are based on various issues such as disputed cultural heritage but, especially, on the Statute's alleged breaches of the principle of "solidarity between regions" enshrined by the Constitution in fiscal and educational matters. As of December 2009, the Constitutional Court of Spain is assessing the constitutionality of the challenged articles; its binding conclusion is expected in 2010.

/news]
      Autonomous Communities...
      A bit like the holy grail..

Maybe more so resembles home rule which Ireland had before 1916
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2010 11:02:04 am by racerx34 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #9: Jan 08, 2010 12:08:15 pm
      It's similar to the Irish Republic they want an in dependant state separate from Spain, they have their own language,culture and tradition and have been waging a guerrilla campaign for decades.
      [Catalonia, alongside Basque Country and Galicia was set apart from the rest of Spain as a Historical nationality and given the ability to accede to autonomy automatically, which resulted in the 1979 Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia. The rest of Spain, in a process spearheaded by Andalusia and completed by 1985, carved itself into 14 additional Autonomous Communities by drafting their own Statutes of Autonomy. After 2003 there has been a round of amendments to the various Statutes of Autonomy (notably, alongside Catalonia's, those of Aragon, the Valencian Community, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands)

Both the 1979 Statute of Autonomy and the current one, approved in 2006, state that Catalonia, as a nationality, exercises its self-government constituted as an autonomous community in accordance with the Constitution and with the Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia, which is its basic institutional law.[9]

The Preamble of the 2006 Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia states the Parliament of Catalonia defined Catalonia as a nation, but that the Spanish Constitution recognizes Catalonia's national reality as a nationality[10]. The Preamble of the Statute lacks legal value, thus the constitutional status is the same as it was in 1979, which is an Autonomous Community. While this Statute was approved by and sanctioned by both the Catalan and the Spanish parliaments, and later by referendum in Catalonia, it has been legally contested by the surrounding Autonomous Communities of Aragon, Balearic Islands and the Valencian Community,[11] as well as by the Partido Popular. The objections are based on various issues such as disputed cultural heritage but, especially, on the Statute's alleged breaches of the principle of "solidarity between regions" enshrined by the Constitution in fiscal and educational matters. As of December 2009, the Constitutional Court of Spain is assessing the constitutionality of the challenged articles; its binding conclusion is expected in 2010.

/news]
      Autonomous Communities...
      A bit like the holy grail..

Maybe more so resembles home rule which Ireland had before 1916

As described in one line earlier.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2010 12:18:03 pm by stuey »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Jan 08, 2010 12:27:43 pm
      In my eagerness to bore people to death I forgot to read the rest of the thread but indeed it is waffle that could be summed up in those two lines
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2010 12:57:36 pm
      Hold on a second here horsey I'm Irish and for you to call me 'british' is very offensive we fought for our freedom and would appreciate it to be recognised.... ;)
      Horsey! now I find that offensive, and I have amended my quote just to keep you happy. ;)    :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #12: Jan 08, 2010 01:27:46 pm

So you freedom fighter or terrorist?   :f_run:

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Jan 08, 2010 01:37:02 pm
      So you freedom fighter or terrorist?   :f_run:

The sh*te that went on in the 70s and 80s is terrorism but what went on pre 1920s is freedom fighting for independence. Anyway why is this in the general football forum?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Jan 08, 2010 01:45:57 pm
      Horsey! now I find that offensive, and I have amended my quote just to keep you happy. ;)    :laugh:
      A yes but even some of those up North might still find your comment offensive.
      You cant win really
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #15: Jan 08, 2010 02:01:50 pm
      The sh*te that went on in the 70s and 80s is terrorism but what went on pre 1920s is freedom fighting for independence. Anyway why is this in the general football forum?

I know mate was taking the piss slightly.

I noticed no-one's failed to mention the fact part of the Basque country extends into France!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #16: Jan 08, 2010 02:10:27 pm
      I know mate was taking the piss slightly.

I noticed no-one's failed to mention the fact part of the Basque country extends into France!
      That's why they kicked off on account of the greater French influence on their culture, these people have got too much time on their hands....end of.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Jan 08, 2010 02:58:04 pm
      I like FRENCH WINE!

NO I like SPANISH WINE!

Queue civil war
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #18: Jan 08, 2010 03:26:16 pm
      I like FRENCH WINE!

NO I like SPANISH WINE!

Queue civil war
      A result of which is they are all too pissed to know which country they're in anyway much less care.
      It sounds like they worry too much about hangovers and if the Spanish or French is worst.

Quick Reply