Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland -> Stoke)

Read 25321 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland)
      Reply #23: Jan 12, 2010 10:00:01 am
      He's not worth 8 let alone 12 or 40 hahaha
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: Jan 12, 2010 10:04:55 am
      Would prefer Chamakh over Jones any day of the week, he only really had one good season.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #25: Jan 13, 2010 12:21:29 pm
      Would prefer Chamakh over Jones any day of the week, he only really had one good season.

Ye same Jones is just a less prolific Crouch and would struggle playing for a team of stature...
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #26: Jan 13, 2010 05:49:10 pm
      40 Mil!!!!!! Yeah i always thought Jones was almost worth twice as much as what we paid for Torres. What a tw*t Bruce is.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #27: Jan 14, 2010 05:42:48 am
      40?!?! :lmao:
      That's the F***ing funniest thing I've ever heard.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #28: Jan 14, 2010 07:53:19 am
      Bruce hasn't said he values Jones at £40m, he said that 'on his day' he can look like a £40m player. You don't value a player on how he performes in 1 in 4 games.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #29: Jan 14, 2010 10:04:24 am
      No thanks - A slightly more mobile version of Heskey and NOT the way forward.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,440 posts | 2841 
      Reply #30: Jan 16, 2010 12:03:31 pm
      Rafa keen to swap Babel for Jones
      Rafael Benítez is attempting to set up a swap deal with Sunderland that would result in Ryan Babel and Kenwyne Jones exchanging clubs.

Babel was left out of the Liverpool squad for Saturday's match against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium, a decision that baffled the winger and led to him venting his frustration on Twitter, the social-networking website.

By the time Benítez had named his travelling party, however, he was already working on a deal to take Jones to Anfield and allowing Babel to move to Sunderland in return. A permanent deal is the most likely option but a loan swap is also being considered.

The Liverpool manager is in desperate need of reinforcements in attack after the knee injury that has ruled out Fernando Torres for up to six weeks. Jones has fallen out of favour at the Stadium of Light and has been made available for transfer by Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, only 12 months after he was described as "untouchable" by Niall Quinn, the Sunderland chairman.

At one stage, Sunderland rejected a £16 million offer for Jones from Tottenham Hotspur but there is no longer the same appetite to hold on to the 25-year-old, who has scored six times in 16 appearances in the Barclays Premier League this season. Liverpool are equally willing to sacrifice Babel, 23, who has become little more than a fringe member of Benítez's squad after an £11 million move from Ajax in the summer of 2007.

Babel is keen to play regular first-team football as he seeks to win a place in the Holland squad for the forthcoming World Cup finals in South Africa and Jones is looking to kick-start a career that has stalled in recent months.

The Times
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #31: Jan 17, 2010 07:06:04 am
      i hope and pray this isn't true
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #32: Jan 17, 2010 10:07:47 am
      Woah woah woah hold on a minute, now Yossi Benayoun is considered one of our star players, and to be quite honest I think he's been one of the few who have stepped up since joining us (along with Torres, Masch, Reina) but honestly when he signed for £5 million did you think we'd have a player that would be able to do all the things he can? I for one certainly didn't.

Now Benny played for West Ham so was used to the premier league, he just didn't perform to the best of his ability. Since joining Rafa has got the best out of him, I wonder if he can do the same with Kenwyne Jones? I personally do not think that we should sell babel because let's face it...if we sell him and he starts becoming the "new Henry" which everyone thinks he could do?:S I would certainly feel that a kick in the teeth if Babel was then valued at £30 million. Back to Kenwyne Jones, I do think he would have something to offer, certainly more "Athletic" than Crouch. We bought Crouch from a relegated Southampton side?!Who Jones used to play for...so maybe played a similar role to Crouch before he was replaced by Crouch? Also Kenwyne is now 25-the same age that we signed Crouch at, does anyone really think Jones is worse than Crouch? He seems to work quite well with a pacey forward? So could be the perfect foil for nando. Jones is big, strong and quick so could also lead the line against THE SMALLER TEAMS THAT WE HAVE TROUBLE BEATING because Fernando isn't going to want to rattle defenders in the same physical manner that Jones would. I still maintain that Babel shouldn't be sold as he has the potential to be way better than Jones and given a run of games up front now that Torres is injured...it could be the starting point? However if this deal were to go ahead then I can't see why the doom and gloom over "what he has to offer"
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2010 11:58:27 am
      Rafa keen to swap Babel for Jones
      Rafael Benítez is attempting to set up a swap deal with Sunderland that would result in Ryan Babel and Kenwyne Jones exchanging clubs.

Babel was left out of the Liverpool squad for Saturday's match against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium, a decision that baffled the winger and led to him venting his frustration on Twitter, the social-networking website.

By the time Benítez had named his travelling party, however, he was already working on a deal to take Jones to Anfield and allowing Babel to move to Sunderland in return. A permanent deal is the most likely option but a loan swap is also being considered.

The Liverpool manager is in desperate need of reinforcements in attack after the knee injury that has ruled out Fernando Torres for up to six weeks. Jones has fallen out of favour at the Stadium of Light and has been made available for transfer by Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, only 12 months after he was described as "untouchable" by Niall Quinn, the Sunderland chairman.
      At one stage, Sunderland rejected a £16 million offer for Jones from Tottenham Hotspur but there is no longer the same appetite to hold on to the 25-year-old, who has scored six times in 16 appearances in the Barclays Premier League this season. Liverpool are equally willing to sacrifice Babel, 23, who has become little more than a fringe member of Benítez's squad after an £11 million move from Ajax in the summer of 2007.

Babel is keen to play regular first-team football as he seeks to win a place in the Holland squad for the forthcoming World Cup finals in South Africa and Jones is looking to kick-start a career that has stalled in recent months.

The Times

Just heard Niall Quinn on Goals on Sunday say when asked about Jones that although he rates him highly they are looking to bring other players in and "agents" have been setting up deals. He never mentioned us nut looks as though something may be happening with Jones somewhere.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Jan 17, 2010 01:58:40 pm
      Thats all we need a striker that doesn't score goals. Would no be impressed with this signing to be honest. We need class not a battering ram.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #35: Jan 17, 2010 02:01:36 pm
      Yeah, physical nature one side, we need strikers who can score, more than being just 'physical'. :-\
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #36: Jan 17, 2010 02:23:21 pm
      'I think he would be a cracking player, he's strong, got power, can hold it up. He would be a far better option that N'Gog when we need someone to lead the line in the absence of Nando. I also think if we went 2 up top, then he would link up well with Nando, he would win the flick on's, would attract defenders, leaving Torres with plenty of space. It's a deal that really makes sense IMO.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #37: Jan 17, 2010 02:36:27 pm
      But Rafa doesn't play with 2 up top, we had the perfect player to do that for Torres in Crouch and Rafa left him on the bench. Jones is a mediocre player he had a decent first season in the Premiership but has been poor since. I Think Sunderland would off load him for a decent price.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #38: Jan 17, 2010 03:10:59 pm
      But Rafa doesn't play with 2 up top, we had the perfect player to do that for Torres in Crouch and Rafa left him on the bench. Jones is a mediocre player he had a decent first season in the Premiership but has been poor since. I Think Sunderland would off load him for a decent price.
      I know he doesn't, which is actually really annoying! I personally think that he is a decent player to have in any squad, and as an option to lead the line I think he is a far better option than N'Gog, mainly based on his strength. Just my opinion, but I've always rated him as a decent player.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #39: Jan 17, 2010 03:15:44 pm
      Good post that, bobobobo.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #40: Jan 17, 2010 03:35:55 pm
      I don't think Jones is upto premier class to be honest an inferior version of Crouch
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #41: Jan 17, 2010 03:40:18 pm
      Don't fancy this move.
      Don't think Jones has great quality, he's a typical mid table striker. Sides like Fulham, Sunderland, Stoke, and other sides in that position over the years have always had strikers who can score scrappy goals for that level of club, as soon as a big side signs them, they can't do it anymore.
      Saha from Fulham to Man U, Keane from spurs to us, Bellamy from Blackburn to us (was it blackburn or newcastlle? both sh*t anyway) and of course Berbatov from Spurs to Man U. It's an all too familiar move if you ask me.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Jan 17, 2010 11:53:57 pm
      Seems like this is happening tomorrow.

Loan ranger: Kenwyne Jones is expected at Liverpool on Monday

Liverpool will try to solve their striker crisis by signing Kenwyne Jones on loan on Monday.

The Sunderland forward is due at Anfield for a medical as manager Rafa Benitez desperately attempts to strengthen his squad for the visit of top-four contenders Tottenham on Wednesday.

Benitez sees the 25-year-old Trinidad & Tobago star as ideal cover for his injured superstar Fernando Torres. The Spain striker had knee surgery in Barcelona this weekend but is not expected to be fit for at least six weeks.

A swap deal with Liverpool for unhappy winger Ryan Babel had been mooted but instead Jones will move to Anfield on loan until the end of the season.

Sunderland have already turned down a £9million bid from Birmingham for the 6ft 1in Jones, who has scored six Barclays Premier League goals this season. Birmingham boss Alex McLeish remains keen to sign Jones and Babel.

Former Southampton target man Jones earns about £50,000 a week — wages City are able to match following Carson Yeung’s takeover — but the player is not interested in switching to St Andrew’s.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1244036/Liverpool-manager-Rafa-Benitez-snaps-Kenwyne-Jones-loan-solve-striker-crisis.html#ixzz0cuuIs6yu
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #43: Jan 18, 2010 01:16:40 am
      I wouldn't be jumping for joy if we signed him. He is a decent player but I don't think he's of the standard that we require.
      martynash
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 18, 2010 01:53:26 am
      chamakh for me too,jones in swap for babel no complaints there
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #45: Jan 18, 2010 02:00:36 am
      More like injecting the much needed urgency, competitiveness, hope(or an illusion of it), variation(s) into the squad.

Our squad is too thin, and with the 2/3 of the squad lost their confidence and playing badly, it's not gonna help putting young reserves players into the mix during crucial moments hoping they would save the day(N'gog, Pacheco etc).  

I take this move as something positive for the squad.... and it's a loan anyway.

Quick Reply