Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Is the league still possible?

Read 12244 times
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Re: Is the league still possible?
      Reply #23: Jan 10, 2010 09:19:00 pm
      IMO it doesn't help the players when the manager said "if we don't reach at least the 4Th place some players are for sell" Now what should this players think about ? With this statements we are rob ourself the confidence we need !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #24: Jan 10, 2010 09:31:25 pm
      IMO it doesn't help the players when the manager said "if we don't reach at least the 4Th place some players are for sell" Now what should this players think about ? With this statements we are rob ourself the confidence we need !

Maybe thats what the owners have told the manager!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #25: Jan 10, 2010 09:35:30 pm
      Its still possibl,but as bigv siad earlier "a long shot"Without doubt we enough quality in the squad(especially if we secure Maxi,Turan or Chamakh in this window).The scum are playing sh*te,the chavs are not as good as they think they are,and we are well capable of beating both of these as well as the rest,so for that reason,I'm keeping the faith a while longer.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #26: Jan 10, 2010 09:40:12 pm
      When you look at the league table, it shows that we are not to far behind, maybe I am being to optimistic after what we have seen so far, the team we have been so far isn't recognizable from the one playing now, we have every one back from injuries, whist other teams around us are getting injuries now, we seem to be over ours. A good run now will, I am sure, close the gap, if we do that it will come down to whoever holds their nerve, and after last year our players are more than capable of doing that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #27: Jan 10, 2010 09:43:39 pm
      Could find ourselves 8 points behind United. Can they win the league? Of course they can?

The way we are playing we have no chance - but if by some freak of nature we actually started playing like the dogs swingers then that kind of gap could be overhauled.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Jan 10, 2010 09:44:05 pm
      It's still possible until it's mathematically impossible, though at this moment in time it is looking very unlikely because bar the odd time, when the teams above us have dropped points we haven't taken advantage and when we have it has only usually been a point.

Arsenal looked out of it just as much as us about 5, 6 weeks ago though and now they are back in with a good shot so who knows.

Though we are 12 points behind Chelsea now aren't we so that is 4 wins.

We have to play them again and if we beat them then only 3 behind, then they also have to play United and Arsenal and if them 3 teams all draw with each then that will make a massive difference.

I am still confident we will get top 4 because Villa are now on a 2 game losing streak and they were lucky to be up there anyway, City are so inconsistent and are going to drop a lot more points as are Spurs. I think we can even still come higher than 4th though given the position we are in at the moment it is all too many If's and And's, all we can do is keep winning and hope the teams above us drop points so that we can take advantage.

The team has been ripped apart in terms of injuries this season and at one point there was about 11 out but now it's only really Johnson as Masch is going to be back from his injury basically when his suspension ends and Riera is back very soon. Probably getting Maxi in, have gotten rid of 2 pieces of dead wood, we have Gerrard and Nando both back, Aquilani playing now and have Pepe having another great season so there are no excuses now. We have to perform really well to get top 4 this season and have to perform better than ever if we are to win the league this season and that probably means winning every single remaining league game, we can't afford any more defeats or draws.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #29: Jan 10, 2010 09:56:50 pm
      Hmmm....

20 games played so far... 33 points

Chelsea on top 45 points...20 games played too...

12 points behind, should say 13 due to they better goal difference...

19 games to be played .. 19 x 3 = 57 points still to play... we could potentially reach 90 points! ... shocking isnt it? even after a crap season so far, we could potentially still reach 90 points.. This season has been strange to be say the least.. it is not just us who are dropping points.. everyone is, so if we can a run of results together then why not? anyone can still win the league

I am sure it is back of Rafa and the players mind but every game should be treated as a cup final..Even though our team claims we are treating every game as a final, we cant see enough creativity... i rather we win 4-3 then scrape 1-0 or even draw or lose.... so rafa needs to approach every game with an attacking formation..

Everthing is possible, we could even go down if we lose all our games but its in our own hands... lets play our next game with belief of we can get them 3 points.. attack attack attack...
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #30: Jan 10, 2010 10:00:33 pm
      Maybe thats what the owners have told the manager!

yeah okay, but the players reading this in the media....
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31: Jan 10, 2010 10:10:20 pm
      Most f**king definitely. If we have a full strength side, playing at the top of their game, then we are all aware of the fact that we will beat anyone put before us. I don't know who we're bringing in this transfer window yet, but am hopeful a couple of new faces will give the squad a boost. Also, we will hopefully be rid of Dossena, Voronin and Degen( I know Dossena and Voronin are gone ). The removal of these deadweights will also inject a new lease of life into the club. If we only get Rodriguez then I'll be happy with that, as the other vacated spaces will hopefully be taken up by some of the kids, therefore the onus will be on Rafa to blood them if, heaven forbid, we get any more injuries.

I'm seeing this transfer window as not only a chance to cut out the rot, but also a message of intent by Rafa to the kids to stake a claim. This has been the most open title race for years, and we are still in it. With a fresh injection of confidence and the youngsters getting a boost also, this month could be the month that turns our season around. I really think the most important aspect of this transfer window will be who we get rid of, not who we bring in.

And in answer to Reprobate with regards to a comment I made about Voronin in the Winter Transfer Thread ( which I can't reply to in there, as it is now locked), I stand by every descriptive word I used in that post mate. After the comments he made about Liverpool Football Club, the city, it's people and the country in general, he deserves about as much respect as Charles Itandje. So excuse me if I don't wish either of the cu*ts good luck. I hope their testicles are infested with the fleas of a thousand dogs and they burn in hell for all eternity. Respect is earned, and they my friend, do not deserve one tiny minescule piece.

justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #32: Jan 10, 2010 10:44:13 pm
      To win the league from the position that we are currently in would be I think one of our greatest ever achievements as a football club. It is a massive long shot and yes it is very unlikely to say the least. However as Singh said earlier there are still many points up for grabs and many points for the teams above and around us to lose. We MUST take FULL advantage every time one of these teams drop points and just hope that we are given plenty of opportunities to do so. We are a football club who have been written off many many times in the past and have delivered when it matters most and proved people wrong. This one will take some doing though but as a commentator wisely said that night in Istanbul. 'You never know, you never know with Liverpool'
      MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Jan 10, 2010 11:59:58 pm
      Football's a funny game, anything's possible in football, so the answer is most definitely a resounding YES,  you just never know and we do have a tendency to play a lot better in the second half of the season.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #34: Jan 11, 2010 12:05:48 am
      Its a topsyturvey season, and we are 66-1 currently get a fiver on that and you could go on a nice break in the sprink, ive got a funny feeling , that something funny is going to happen this season, but we must find consistency.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #35: Jan 11, 2010 12:06:39 am
      Can I ask something quickly?

I am coming to my first game against Bolton and I am aware its easy to get a bus from queen square to the game. Is it simple to get a bus back after the game as well?

Thanks

There's plenty of buses outside the ground when the games finished. But you may have to walk a while to find one with empty seats :P
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #36: Jan 11, 2010 12:14:37 am
      Its a topsyturvey season, and we are 66-1 currently get a fiver on that and you could go on a nice break in the sprink, ive got a funny feeling , that something funny is going to happen this season, but we must find consistency.
      Good post mate.I too think that we've got an Istanbul situation coming on.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #37: Jan 11, 2010 12:24:25 am
      Never give up. League will be difficult, not impossible though, I personally feel we will have a trophy (or two!) being lifted at the end of the season.
      Stranger things have happened, just buck up our ideas and it can be done.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #38: Jan 11, 2010 09:01:50 am
      when will these topics just f'uck off for good this season

where i agree with the people saying never give up, i'm also realistic. We will NOT win the league this season and anybody who thinks we will is just a f'ucking tool to be honest.

Chelsea have a 12 point lead on us now. The last 18 games or whaetevers left, who is the more likely to drop the most points from now till then? Us or Chelsea? The answer is us. Chelsea will finish 18-20 points ahead of us this season. If anybody finishes above them then they will win the league. We will finish 4th, possibly 3rd because the gunners will run out of steam.  We will win the fa cup, win the europa league, re-group in the summer, then come back next season and f'ucking smash everyone.

I have faith in Rafa and the boys but there is not a chance in hell we will win the league this season
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #39: Jan 11, 2010 10:32:26 am
      when will these topics just f'uck off for good this season

Simple little way of operating here. You read the title of the topic, if it doesnt appeal to you, DONT F**KING READ IT
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #40: Jan 11, 2010 10:39:49 am
      It still isn't impossible but just unlikely.

If we can keep on capitalising when the other top 4 teams drop points then we can certainly finish nearer the top. But right now we just need to concentrate one game at a time and try to gain some form and momentum, and be consistent.

We are usually much stronger in the second half of the season so who knows what will happen.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #41: Jan 11, 2010 11:06:16 am
      Simple little way of operating here. You read the title of the topic, if it doesnt appeal to you, DONT F**KING READ IT

If somebody starts a topic with a f'ucking stupid question them im going to say something. Asking that is like asking whether if bloody Norway can win the world cup.

In May, we will come back to this topic that you have started mid January, and you will see just how stupid this question/topic is and was.

Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 11, 2010 11:09:10 am
      We are barely walking, let alone running. 

If we could pick our form up, then YES!  But even on recent performances. NO!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Jan 11, 2010 11:18:23 am
      If somebody starts a topic with a f'ucking stupid question them im going to say something. Asking that is like asking whether if bloody Norway can win the world cup.

In May, we will come back to this topic that you have started mid January, and you will see just how stupid this question/topic is and was.

How is it a stupid question? Leagues have been won from further back then this. I or anyone who replied never once said we will win it the question is is it possible. And in my opinion to which im very entitled to have is that if things go our way then maybe we can

And how you manage to bring Norway winning the world cup into it when they arent even in it makes a bit of a knob out of yourself
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Jan 11, 2010 11:22:46 am
      We have 18 games left, and 54 points still up for grabs. That would mean a perfect run in would result in us getting 89 points. So still definitely reachable.

And the champions this season, you would think would drop a few points so 83 could be the target. But we can't afford to think that way.

In saying that, a perfect record is near impossible from here so we'd need a sh*t load of luck, a sh*t load of skill and much more determination than we're seeing. Something that doesn't happen overnight.

Still possible, probably unlikely but if we get a roll on, who knows?
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #45: Jan 11, 2010 11:30:52 am
      How is it a stupid question? Leagues have been won from further back then this. I or anyone who replied never once said we will win it the question is is it possible. And in my opinion to which im very entitled to have is that if things go our way then maybe we can

And how you manage to bring Norway winning the world cup into it when they arent even in it makes a bit of a knob out of yourself

It was the whole point of making that statement, simply for that reason.

And like i said, we'll come back to this in May.

Quick Reply