Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Maxi Rodriguez (-> Newell's Old Boys)

Read 176522 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Maxi Rodriguez Player Thread
      Reply #1288: Jun 07, 2012 07:47:48 pm
      Wait. Looks like he has another left? Can't get the link because I'm on my phone, but in an interview with an Argentina paper he said he has 1 year left. Confused.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #1289: Jun 07, 2012 08:43:30 pm
      I think it would be ridiculous to let him leave. He is quality,
      Absolute quality player with so much to give. He's never been about speed, he knows exactly where to be in the final third and doesn't really lose the ball.

I really hope he stays. They guy is a winner.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1290: Jun 07, 2012 08:48:14 pm
      So long & thanks for all the fish or something like that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,685 posts | 3905 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1291: Jun 07, 2012 09:36:26 pm
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1292: Jun 07, 2012 10:26:38 pm
      Maxi Rodríguez ‏@MR11ok
      Happy with the birth of my second daughter Aitana

Congrats Maxi.  :gt-happyup:
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #1293: Jun 08, 2012 08:00:38 am
      congratulations maxi!!! i hope you stay with us and contribute to another season but of course more than you did this one just passed. surely there's room for you in brendan's plans especially now that dirk is gone.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1294: Jun 08, 2012 08:20:29 am
      No taxi for Maxi, Diame deal on

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/7799777/No-taxi-for-Maxi-Diame-deal-on

Maxi Rodriguez has dismissed reports he has left Liverpool following rumours he had joined Newell's Old Boys in his native Argentina.

The attack-minded midfielder was expected to leave Liverpool at the end of this season after making just 21 appearances, largely as a substitute, in the 2011/12 campaign.

Maxi has 12 months left on his contract, but appeared to wave goodbye to fans when he made his most recent Anfield appearance in the thrashing of Chelsea at the beginning of May.

After he was spotted in Rosario, it has been reported he had agreed a move to Newell's, but he insists this is not the case.

Fans' favourite Maxi told Ole newspaper: "I do not know where these things come from. I have one year left on my contract at Liverpool and did not talk to anybody."

The departure of former boss Kenny Dalglish and following appointment of Brendan Rodgers has given all fringe players at Liverpool a fresh chance.

In other news, it is believed Liverpool's move for free agent midfielder Mohamed Diame is back on.

Diame, who played at Wigan in the 2011/12 season, is one of the top Bosmans around this summer.

The move appeared to have collapsed following the sacking of former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish.

However, new manager Brendan Rodgers has given the green light for the deal, as he is big fan of Diame.

Liverpool could face competition from Aston Villa for Diame, with Paul Lambert keen to sign him after taking over at Villa Park.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #1295: Jun 08, 2012 09:17:41 am
      I would not mind if he goes back to Argentina but I would be extremely happy if he stays for one more year with us.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1296: Jun 08, 2012 09:48:17 am
      Congrats Maxi.

Sounds positive from them quotes that he might stay. Wonder if he has talked to Brendan yet?
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1297: Jun 08, 2012 11:10:43 am
      Maxi denies exit talk
      8th Jun 2012 - Latest News

Liverpool midfielder Maxi Rodriguez has denied he is on the brink of a move away from Anfield.

Reports in South America have suggested the 31-year-old has agreed a move to Newell's Old Boys - the club where he began his career.

However, Rodriguez, who is back in his native Argentina following the birth of his second daughter, insists the speculation is wide of the mark.

"I do not know where these things come from," he said.

"I have one year left on my contract at Liverpool and did not talk to anybody."

Maxi has so far scored 17 goals in 73 appearances for the Reds.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/maxi-denies-exit-talk

Looks like he is staying then :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1298: Jun 08, 2012 08:54:33 pm
      Genuinely looked like he was leaving, though, when he waved goodbye.

Probably changed his mind after Kenny's gone seeing he didn't get much playing time under Kenny.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #1299: Jun 08, 2012 08:56:26 pm
      Is he still hear then? if so i can delete my goodbye post's ;)
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1300: Jun 25, 2012 10:30:54 pm
      Still quiet on the Maxi front. I'm hoping he stays, as he still has loads to offer. He's our most intelligent player in my opinion.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1301: Jun 25, 2012 10:34:42 pm
      Still quiet on the Maxi front. I'm hoping he stays, as he still has loads to offer. He's our most intelligent player in my opinion.

You do know we have 2 players called Gerrard and Suarez?.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1302: Jun 25, 2012 10:37:41 pm
      You do know we have 2 players called Gerrard and Suarez?.

Really?
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #1303: Jun 25, 2012 10:51:20 pm
      To be honest, Gerrard and Suarez do have better positioning and movement than Maxi, but I actually think Maxi is a very intelligent player. At times I thought he was really the only other player who was on the same wave length as Gerrard and Suarez. Their link up play was brilliant at times. The passing one two that created that goal at home to Stoke in the Carling Cup was brilliant.

I actually felt Kenny made a mistake in not playing this lad, and playing Downing instead. Downing offered us very little, in terms of passing, movement, or defensively all throughout the season.

While we were failing to score, struggling to find the back of the net, the only player who had proved who could take his chances was Maxi. It seemed like every time he was on the field, he scored. That is why I was frustrated at him being on the bench so Downing could play.

I do agree with what hardcoresoldier has said about him in other parts of this thread, he is scared to go into a tackle, and he can whimper away from 50/50s. He also doesn't work hard enough for the team, which you really need when helping out your fullback. I've also noticed he as a tendacy to disappear in matches.

I do think it's the right time to sell Maxi though. He is on fairly high wages because we brought him for nothing, defensively doesn't help his fullback out enough, while he can offer us a threat offensively, he can knock in a goal and link up play well. I just think it is time to move Maxi on and buy someone with genuinely quality that we've been lacking for about a decade. It would also give Sterling more chances to shine.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1304: Jun 25, 2012 10:55:34 pm
      Maxis off the ball intelligence is second to none. On the ball, I agree Gerrard and Suarez are exceptional.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #1305: Jun 26, 2012 11:01:13 am
      Something came to my mind, Maxi was in fact a Right Winger when he came and he played superbly well when he arrived! Maybe he should e used on the right, he was playing well there and we don't have any right winger now Kuyt is gone.

I'd like to see  :   * Suarez - Carroll - Maxi
      *Suarez on the left: remember the game vs ManCity when Carroll score twice
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1306: Jun 26, 2012 02:34:45 pm
      Yeah and I distinctly remember Meireles being on the left. So what's the point? I agree Suarez is great at cutting in from the left but I think he is better in a 'free role' where he pops up left right and centre and keeps the opponents guessing.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #1307: Jun 26, 2012 04:49:27 pm
      I'd like to see  :   * Suarez - Carroll - Maxi*Suarez on the left: remember the game vs ManCity when Carroll score twice

just one of the reasons I'd love him to stay, he's loads more to give us if we are willing to let him. Really want him to stay, he must get more game time being not only because he a great "pass & move" player which should fit Rodgers style, that and the fact Kuyt's off to pastures new.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #1308: Jun 27, 2012 11:10:16 am
      Yeah and I distinctly remember Meireles being on the left. So what's the point? I agree Suarez is great at cutting in from the left but I think he is better in a 'free role' where he pops up left right and centre and keeps the opponents guessing.

Was it really Mereiles on the left? I thought it was Kuyt and Suarez by the  sides of Carrolland on several occasions Suarez was found on the left; but what I mean is that I'd prefer to give the freedom to Suarez to play on the left or right and play with Maxi when Cutting inside and enabling the fullbacks to bomb forward. A bit like the Barca's trio where Messi gets in the middle whenever he starts at striker or RWM to let Alvez go forward.

Similarity:
      it would be like Maxi for Pedro
      Carroll for Villa
      and Suarez for Messi

yes Villa is injured and it's a long time ago.. :P
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1309: Jun 27, 2012 12:18:22 pm
      Took me a while then, but I thought you had a split personality and were talking to yourself. Haha.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #1310: Jul 08, 2012 10:47:37 am
      Maxi on pens, goals and Pepe

For every home match throughout the 2011-12 season, LFC's official matchday programme gave fans the chance to get to know their heroes that little bit better.

Ahead of each Anfield clash, the 'Just Can't Get Enough' feature conducted a quirky interview with a member of the first-team squad in which the questions ranged from football-related issues to dressing room banter and life off the pitch.

For the last week, Liverpoolfc.com has been publishing one of these interviews each day and we continue the series with Maxi Rodriguez, who talks goal celebrations, penalty taking and Pepe Reina's singing...

Who was your first football hero?

Julio Saldana. Gabriel Batistuta was with Newell's before he moved to River Plate and Boca Juniors before going to Italy and I liked him too. But Saldana played in my position.

If you had to take a penalty in a shoot-out, would you go first or last?

I'm always happy to take one and I did in the quarter-finals of the World Cup against Germany in 2006, which I scored. Each one had the same pressure really but instinctively I'd prefer to take an early one.

How many keepie-uppies do you think you could do?

I honestly think I could go for a long time. It wouldn't drop. I used to do it all the time as a kid. Maybe the ball wouldn't drop. I'm very confident about that.

Have you ever lost control of your emotions after scoring a goal?

I think this only happens when it is an important game rather than a great goal. It was a dream for me to play in a World Cup for my country and I first achieved that with Argentina in 2006 and then scored twice against Serbia in a 6-0 win. Personally, that meant a lot to me because it was the realisation of something I'd always wanted to do. Even though the goal against Mexico (a volley from 30 yards) was nominated goal of the tournament, I did a somersault after the first one against Serbia. That shows you how much it meant.

What's your favourite Liverpool goal?

Again, it would probably be the first one against Burnley. It was special. But I also liked the hat-trick goal against Fulham.

Did you pass your driving test first time?

Yes. In Argentina, my uncle was a driving instructor and he helped me a lot so I was quite lucky. I had to take it again in Spain and I passed first time too.

What was your first car?

A Peugeot 206. It was very nice and easy to drive. I have happy memories of it.

Have you ever completed an initiation at any of the clubs you have been at?

When we went to Portugal last year after the Europa League match with Braga, all of us had to sing. My English is okay, but I don't know many songs. Luckily my teammates started singing the song that the fans sing...'Maxi...Maxi Rodriguez runs down the wing for me...' so I joined in.

Who do you think has the best singing voice at Liverpool?

This is very difficult. We all have no problems in performing in front of thousands of people on a football pitch but if you asked anyone to sing, I'm sure it would be different. Maybe Pepe is just a tiny bit better than the rest.

What is your favourite film?

It is one from Argentina called Nine Queens. It was made about 10 years ago. I would describe it as a crime drama.

Where is the best place to go on holiday in South America?

It depends if you want the mountains or the seaside. Personally, wherever there is water and sand, I'm very happy. Mar la Plata in Argentina is very good.

What stadium creates the best atmosphere in Argentina?

Boca's La Bombonera is special. The terraces are very steep and the crowd plays an active part in the game. I have good memories of playing there.

And in Spain?

Atletico's Vicente Calderon was very good. Again, the supporters play a huge role. In some ways, the Calderon is like the Bombonera because of the way it was built. I also liked the San Mames in Bilbao. The atmosphere there is very special.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/maxi-on-pens-goals-and-pepe

Quick Reply