Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Big Greek fella
      (77.7%)
      Brazilian kid
      (7.1%)
      Baldy keeper
      (8.9%)
      Someone else
      (6.3%)

Stoke 1-1 Liverpool: Post Match Discussion

Read 24211 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Stoke 1-1 Liverpool: Post Match Discussion
      Reply #253: Jan 17, 2010 10:46:06 pm
      Was bloody gutted at the end of that game I thought we battled a scrappy and determined opponent really well and then to concede so late was heart breaking. I am dumbfounded by our bad luck this season, but even more so our inability to grab that second goal.

As for Carra he really does need to be dropped he is always quick and willing to point the finger at other lads around him when they aren't doing their job. He made a fundamental mistake that you see 6 year old do on a Saturday morning ball watch and then chase the bloody thing leaving the post and his player unmarked.

Fair play to Rafa for slotting Kyrgiakos in to the defense to deal with the aerial and physical presence. On the other hand I though he left the substitutions far too late, Stoke used two subs before the break and were pushing for the equaliser we needed someone to run at their defence and run them rugged, just like we did with that counter leading up to Dirk's header.

Overall disappointed to drop 2 points when other teams above us all dropped points City, Villa and Spurs.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #254: Jan 18, 2010 08:48:46 am
      Effort and commitment were spot on.

Referee was a joke again. He even smiled at us at half time when were we all booing him. w**ker.

Ngog - sorry but why is he playing, offers nothing at all.

We went for a draw and came away with one.

The selection could have been bolder.

fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #255: Jan 18, 2010 08:54:12 am
      Personally, I thought it was a great performance.

We had 4 of our key players out - Johnson, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres.  Rafa played a side that, on paper, wasn't very exciting, didn't look particularly strong. We were playing with what seemed like a 4-4-2 as well, a new formation.

I felt though, that even though our football wasn't all that great, we battled with Stoke and showed we were up for it just as much as them. It was good to see the lads finally up for it and fight for the team for a change.

Overall, i felt we deserved to win the game and i was gutted to see us conceed an equiliser that late, to yet another set piece. It was even more heartbraking to see Kuyt miss that sitter at the end.

I feel sorry for Rafa because the way the media has responded, and some 'fans' have too, you would have thought we were expecting to beat stoke by 4 or 5 and because we ended up with a point, its seen as a disaster. That just simply isn't the case. Stoke at home, with their fans behind them, is a very tough game. Based on our current form, i would have taken a point before the game kicked off being honest. The only disappointment i feel was that in my opinion, over the 90 minutes, Liverpool were the better side and deserved to win, but conceeding a late goal like that is just the icing on the cake really for how our season has gone so far.

I haven't been on the forum all weekend so its probably already been said, but my man of the match was Lucas. Thought the lad was outstanding. Really really impressed me. With gerrard out the side, its as if he felt he had permission to push forward and he did it extremely well. I hope he can keep his consistency levels up.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #256: Jan 18, 2010 03:54:25 pm
      Also, fanastic to see the away fans singing you'll never walk alone none stop for about ten minutes before the game.

Was also fantastic to see them singing Rafa's name, belting it out as loud as they could.

YNWA
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #257: Jan 18, 2010 05:22:12 pm
      1 - 1 at the Britannia is not the end of the world, Stoke are a very tough team at home.
      1 - 1 at the Britannia with so many key players out is a good effort in my mind.
      Being so close to coming away with a win is just unlucky.

Yes, a team like Liverpool should be looking to win wherever they play but we've had horrendous luck with injuries and it was just good to see the players showing a bit of fight.
      Get behind them against Spurs and let them know that the effort is appreciated.

Quick Reply