Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

February: Make or Break Month?

Read 4157 times
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      February: Make or Break Month?
      Jan 22, 2010 05:46:36 am
      6 Feb 2010            Everton   H   12:45   

10 Feb 2010      Arsenal   A   19:45   

18 Feb 2010      Unirea   H   20:05      

21 Feb 2010      Man City   A   15:00      

25 Feb 2010      Unirea   A   18:00      

28 Feb 2010      Blackburn   H   15:00      

Tottenham the other night was a big step toward turning this season around, but there's still a lot of work to do over the next few months. After looking at our fixture list, I realize that we have a daunting task ahead of us this month. The good news is, that if we fight hard through February - March, April and May look managable, at least for now. We've had a lot of injuries lately, and I think next month is when that might really start to take affect. To top it all off, our matches against Arsenal, and Man City are away. I think that if we do well this month, there's a serious chance that we can turn this season on its head, and surprise a lot of people. I mean, we know what we're capable of, we know what we can achieve. This is the time of the season where teams out in front start to get fatigued and have a few struggles, it seems to happen every year. If we can capitalize on this month, I think we have a good chance of being forth, or even third, and finding ourselves in a favorable position in Europe. With key players out, if we can make it through February without a disaster, then most of those players should return at the beginning of March, and we'll be in much better shape to end the season.

What are your views?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,835 posts | 6780 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: February: Make or Break Month?
      Reply #1: Jan 22, 2010 07:53:30 am
      Massive few months left for us but as the old adage goes, let's just take one game a time and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Hopefully we can get torres back fit and firing, sooner than expected.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #2: Jan 22, 2010 08:37:24 am
      My views are the 'make or breakness' depends on how well we do in the 6 points still to play for in January.

We've still got a bit of catch up to play in the league, as in theory we are still 4 points behind Man City, and 1 point behind Villa and Spurs.

Obviously, depending on how results go the Man City game might or might not be huge. 

Saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if we went to Arsenal and went and did something like break our duck at their new ground.

Everton, Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton.  A real chance of getting 12 points there.

Man City and Arsenal away - both tricky.  But we're capable of getting something against both of them.

Over the last 6 games we got 13 points out of 18 and are the second most 'in form' team in the league.  I'd probably be made up with another 4 wins and a draw from the next 6 which is not going to be easy.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #3: Jan 22, 2010 09:22:44 am
      Feb will be a tough month but if we can win the next 3, Wolves away then Bolton and Everton at home then we will be in great shape going into them with hopefully a lot more confidence.

I personally think if we do get max points out of those matches we will be sitting fourth going into the Arse match.

One game at a time though.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #4: Jan 22, 2010 12:16:31 pm
      Top top month for us and what a time for Torres to be out injured.However hope to have Gerrard,Johnson and Benayoun back for majority of matches in Feb.If we can get 10 points and qualify to the next round of Europa League,it could turn out to be a fantastic month for us.How much would I love to see us win against Arsenal,its quite a shame that we still haven't won at Emirates.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 2836 
      Reply #5: Jan 22, 2010 04:46:08 pm
      Let's do Wolves and Bolton over first.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jan 22, 2010 04:48:56 pm
      One game at a time for me, you can only dispatch whats in front of you, then start thinking about the next game....

Yes Febuary is a big month, but lets get January over with first.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jan 22, 2010 04:56:30 pm
      Well we have a game both 2 days before and 2 days after my birthday so it had better be make! ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,625 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Jan 22, 2010 05:18:13 pm
      There's an old motorracing adage. Don't look so far up the track that you forget about the corner your on. Concentrate on what's infront of you. Or as Rafa would say. We are concentrated on winning the next game
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Jan 22, 2010 05:19:55 pm
      One game at a time for me, you can only dispatch whats in front of you, then start thinking about the next game....

Yes Febuary is a big month, but lets get January over with first.

absolutely, and I'm sure Rafa and the boys aren't even thinking about February yet. And they shouldn't be. But it doesn't mean we as fans, can't get a jump start, unless all you old guys out there can't handle it, if that's the case, don't worry about it  ;)

I just noticed that there is a 10 day stretch where we play 4 games toward the end of the month. And twice this month, we have a chance to take direct points off Arsenal and Man City. I think that City are our main rivals for fourth spot this season, they've spent so much money, they definitely have something to prove. There are only 9 more days left in January, that's less than two weeks, and it'll be over before you know it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,625 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Jan 22, 2010 05:24:05 pm
      There are only 9 more days left in January, that's less than two weeks, and it'll be over before you know it.
      So will my 20s but that doesn't mean I should start questioning whether my 30s will define my life as a whole
      idwLFC89
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #11: Jan 22, 2010 05:30:34 pm
      So will my 20s but that doesn't mean I should start questioning whether my 30s will define my life as a whole

Even though, I can't predict the future, I always like to mentally prepare myself for what might happen. Sure, what might happen could immediately change after the first of the month, but it's just a habit. I guess it's a comfort thing. And I'm not asking you to question an entire decade, I'm just alerting you that we could be in for a tough 28 days.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,625 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Jan 22, 2010 05:35:41 pm
      It'll just be like the rest of the season so. Although the attitude of the team has become fortress like... so at the risk of putting a curse on it. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season even if it is more challenging and for different reasons than I was at the start of it.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #13: Jan 22, 2010 05:40:58 pm
      This has to be our best month yet if we can go on a run of being unbeaten and drawing maybe one or two I think we would be back in the top four and not far off the title race. :scarf:
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 22, 2010 08:01:10 pm
      Teams in the past that have seemed "manageable" have proven to be stumbling blocks. We've already said it too many times this season when something goes our way that this is the turnaround of our season. Its often the big games that we do well from instead. I do believe we are due some luck and hopefully with some of our injured players returning in the next few weeks it is starting to look up. We definitely need a good February so to answer you question simply................Ye s. I believe its a make or break month.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,270 posts | 928 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #15: Jan 22, 2010 08:48:44 pm
      Some big games there for sure, Blackburn a win City and Arsenal both hard but would be nice to win one of the two games, Everton at home well we know about derby games it,s a bit of a lottery, so who knows as long as we keep improving 9 points would be a good return for Feb.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Jan 22, 2010 10:26:08 pm
      absolutely, and I'm sure Rafa and the boys aren't even thinking about February yet. And they shouldn't be. But it doesn't mean we as fans, can't get a jump start, unless all you old guys out there can't handle it,.

I'm only 31, Ya cheeky little toe rag and just remember I knar who you mother & father is. ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2010 11:13:21 am
      Not taking full points against Stoke and Wolves has only intensified the month ahead.

February was already tough enough.  Throwing away 4 points in January has really not helped matters.

That Man City game is pivotal now in my view - depending on how City get on in their games in hand.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2010 11:18:35 am
      We are making it really tough for ourselves. To be chasing City alone is going to be hard but Spurs and Villa as well means we cant keep giving these points away. Febs fixtures are now huge.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2010 11:31:00 am
      I don't even want to look at the table now. Obviously, it's our standard of play that is driving our position in the table. So if there is anything I can ask for, it will be make less mistakes, string passes together, establish good passages of play, create chances and of course take those chances.

In other words, back to basics. We did not create much against Wolves last night. How about Stoke, Portsmouth, Reading? We could have beaten these teams.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2010 12:32:42 pm
      We've been saying this every moment since November, F**k all is going to change Rafa is going to continue with his negative football we will give all the bigger sides good matches while struggling to break down the poorer sides.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2010 01:02:53 pm
      We've been saying this every moment since November, F**k all is going to change Rafa is going to continue with his negative football we will give all the bigger sides good matches while struggling to break down the poorer sides.

In that case February will be boss.

You've just improved my mood immensely.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,625 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Jan 27, 2010 01:55:06 pm
      When you look at the games only Blackburn will sit back off us and hold on for a draw like Wolves did last night. Should be some good games. Vital month now come on Rafa and go for the jugular....

Quick Reply