Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would be the best Liverpool captain?

Gerrard
      (57.9%)
      Carragher
      (28.9%)
      Someone else
      (13.2%)

Gerrard and his captain role

Read 20279 times
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Re: Gerrard and his captain role
      Reply #207: Jan 28, 2010 12:33:34 am
      Gerrard definitely wouldn't take it as well as Sami did. I could imagine him going into an enormous sulk. Not to mention the media furore that it would cause.

I've been critical of some aspects of Rafa's management but I think he is in a real no-win situation with Gerrard. If he leaves him as captain then we can all see that Stevie is not really doing the job and Rafa could be criticised. But if he takes it away I think we all know it is likely Stevie will throw a strop and the media, and many fans, will hack Rafa to pieces. He just can't win this one.

So I expect he is just deciding to let things ride because it is the safe option but I'll bet Rafa's guts are churning over Stevie's whole situation right now.

in fairness, at least Stevie has been supportive in the media lately but I have a suspicion all is not well behind the scenes.

What I do know is that it all needs sorting one way or the other, and sharpish.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #208: Jan 28, 2010 01:36:09 am
      Stevie has been a fantastic captain when he has been able to lead through example. But he is nowhere near his top form and its interesting the leadership shown and performance hence of by carra against spurs. Difficult one as u can't take the armband from stevie but carra does get under the skin of his team mates more and has shown excellent leadership. Maybe rafa has to get carra to be more vocal on the pitch...but he normally is anyway?!
      Tough one
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #209: Jan 28, 2010 08:13:33 pm
      I think he feels the pressure of "LFC Legend" and the pressure of being forced to answer for all the ill's of the team.  The pre-season pressure of being expected to win the league and win CL have made this season unbearable on him. Honestly think about how much pressure is on him.

A previous poster stated we don't get on this topic when they are winning and he is scoring. Well, thats the point. W/out pressure he performs.  I honestly think that a new Captain may take the stress off him and allow him to get back to where he needs to be mentally.  Not one person has said that "maybe he doesn't want to be Captain". IMO taking it from him and giving it to Reina or Carra or Masch may help him, not destroy him.

I would like to think that Carra or Reina can see that the pressure is on him and may have a talk with him.  To me Carra and Reina are natural leaders.  You can see it in how the play and their actions on the pitch. I dont think they would feel additional stress or pressure being Captain.  I just dont see that in their personality.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #210: Jan 28, 2010 10:27:44 pm
      I don't think he should have the captain's armband Ripped off him, that would be counter productive.

But i think that he may benefit if some one else takes's over, and if his game improves. Then being the great player that he is then it will improve our chances of winning matches. Mascherano by the nature of his position and his competitive nature i feel would make a decent captain.

Having said all this i would certainly wait until after our clash with Everton before doing anything, and note how fired up he is. Because if Stevie isn't pumped up for that one then there is something very wrong
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #211: Jan 28, 2010 10:42:09 pm
      After the years Steven Gerrard has given our club I think we owe him the ultimate courtesy of waiting till the season finishes and give him the option to stand down,Steven is having a mare of a season and i do feel he will return bigger and better
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #212: Jan 28, 2010 10:56:29 pm
      Stevie needs the heat off for a while.
      Needs just to play football as he wants in a free ranging role.
      Come back fresh.

Give the armband to Pepe till May.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,847 posts | 6788 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #213: Jan 28, 2010 11:32:24 pm
      After the years Steven Gerrard has given our club I think we owe him the ultimate courtesy of waiting till the season finishes and give him the option to stand down,Steven is having a mare of a season and I do feel he will return bigger and better

I agree mate, was thinking this last night. Sure he's had a sh*t season and I for one put my hand up and have knocked him for his sub par performances. What I was thinking though, is that he is a Super star, our Captain, one of the best players in the world. He will come good, hopefully sooner rather than later.

All he needs to do is knock that ball in to the back of the net a couple of times and we'll all be back in love with him again.

The saying is so right, Form is temporary, Class is permanent. C'mon Stevie get out of this rut you are in and make us fall back in love with ya.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #214: Jan 28, 2010 11:35:59 pm
      Actually taking the armband off him might have a massive affect on him - for the good though.

It's happened a few times in the past where born and bred Liverpool fans have had the captaincy taken off them only for them to then go and play out of their skin for a few extra years. Tommy Smith losing the armband to Emlyn and Phil Thompson to Souey are the two that really spring to mind.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #215: Jan 28, 2010 11:59:42 pm
      just read his comments on the wolves liverpool game [times] saying the team showed great character. what is this guy smoking. what planet is he on?
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #216: Jan 29, 2010 12:28:09 am
      I've purposely not read the thread comments because I want to shoot from the hip on this one.My many years of supporting this club have seen many great captains,my personal favourite was the mighty Emlyn.Gerrard in comparison is piss poor.Yes he is a great player,but inspirational leader no.His success is in leading by example,not by raising others to the cause,no one person can win trophies on their own,but a great captain can inspire others to do it,as long as youv'e got the right manager and Board behind you.In Stevies defence,I would offer a Board with f*ck all commitment and a Manager with his hands tied behind his back.No win situation.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #217: Jan 29, 2010 04:08:47 am
      The Captains Armband is supposed to be given to a player who can "Coach" while on the Pitch.  It is not based solely upon skill, the amount of goals scored, cups won, birthplace or celebrity status.  Liverpool Football Club is an Institution. Every game their are only 11 people on the Earth that pull on that Red Shirt and walk onto that pitch representing LFC.

Gerrard is the captain because he deserved it, because it was best for Liverpool. So, ask yourselves, what is best for Liverpool, RIGHT NOW!

Gerrard is in a slump. His attitude and performance is far below that of the last 5 seasons.  Why?  Who knows. But, we need emotion, we need a Captain who can change their attitude and turn a dejected team, playing below their abilities, too a team with nothing to lose and everything to win. I want them playing with fire.

Quick Reply