Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Wanted: New Liverpool manager. Must have GSOH

Read 12041 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Jan 28, 2010 09:40:43 pm

Telegraph Rory Smith

Let the music play and the dance start anew. Liverpool supporters know the steps. A big job on the continent becomes available. Rafael Benitez’s name is brought up. A fairly anodyne suggestion from his agent, Sr Quilon, that he cannot predict the future – after all, Benitez may be king come May, he may have ditched football for a role as a TV handyman – is picked at, pored over. Whispers of contracts, of unhappiness, of the lure of some exotic city, grow into a cacophony, countered only by acquaintances and friends insisting he is happy on Merseyside. Round and round and round we whirl. Only in August, when the merry-go-round ceases and the dizziness stops, will we know. A nervous nausea or the elation of adrenalin? It depends what happens. It depends what you want to happen.

First, then, some facts. Juventus is the job du jour for the beleaguered Liverpool manager. La vecchia signora wants rid of her boy-toy, Ciro Ferrara, after finding he simply could not give her what she needed. A more experienced fancy man is required, a man who knows what an Old Lady wants, and she is prepared to wait until the summer to get him. Maybe a few months of being single will do her good (yes, that’s quite enough of that). Benitez is the number one choice for the role, on a long-term basis, of Juve’s numerous powerbrokers. Roberto Bettega, Alessio Secco, Jean-Claude Blanc and Lapo Elkann, the power behind the throne, are in agreement. An offer will be made. They are confident they have the financial muscle to lure him to Turin.

That it is Juventus is almost by-the-by. There is a good chance that, once the sun returns to these shores, both of the jobs at the San Siro will be up for grabs, and possibly Real Madrid, too, depending on the whims of Florentino Perez. Benitez will be linked to all of them. With his position at Liverpool under unprecedented scrutiny and a growing number of fans convinced a change is needed, there is every chance the Spaniard’s love of Merseyside and his desire to see through the project which he began six years ago will be superceded. The rumours have swirled for years. This time, they could come true.

Enough has been said on whether that is the right thing to do for Liverpool. That issue boils down, basically, to whether you happen to believe Benitez has done enough in his time at Anfield to warrant a chance to rectify his mistakes of this campaign. The majority, probably, would suggest he has. A growing minority disagree. It’s a personal choice.

Rather, it is perhaps time to consider what may happen to Liverpool should Benitez go, what may happen in the long, arduous search for a man to replace him and what that could mean for a club desperate for success now.

Conventional wisdom suggests Liverpool would have their pick of the litter when it comes to a new manager. Fans, understandably, want a Mourinho, a Hiddink, a Lippi or a Capello. What, though, is the advertising pitch? “Famous old club seeks man to move in to bijou home for title tilt. All candidates must be able to win the Premier League on a pittance – but you can spend what you raise in sales! – and capable of adapting when, without warning, your bosses decide they need to pay down the debt they promised not to laden the club with at the expense of your transfer funds. Warning: goalposts may shift. Must have GSOH.”

Is that likely to tempt one of management’s A-listers? No. Aim lower. How about Roy Hodgson or Martin O’Neill, the leading domestic contenders? Possibly, but Hodgson is 63, and O’Neill would think twice about swapping one good American owner, in Randy Lerner, for Messrs Hicks and Gillett. The club has pull, yes, but the owners possess plenty of push.

Abroad, then. Unai Emery? Valencia would love that, and he’d cost a pretty penny. Liverpool don’t have two of them to rub together. Lower. Laurent Blanc? You’d have to see off Inter, if Jose leaves. Lower. Jorge Jesus (the Benfica manager, fact fans)? Domingos Paciencia, of Braga? Jürgen Klinsmann? That sort of level. Is that definitely a step up on Benitez? Even those who have grown to loathe him would hardly be convinced.

Say an ambitious young manager does take the job on. What happens on the pitch? How do they stamp their authority on the side without any money to spend (and, quite possibly, no Champions League football)? Well, you would sell off the Benitez stalwarts and the squad ballast, if possible. Dirk Kuyt, Lucas, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, Philipp Degen, Damien Plessis, Albert Riera, Ryan Babel and Diego Cavalieri would bring in around £40 million or so of spending money (possibly – at Liverpool, the gap between the cushions and the sofa tends to be quite large). Javier Mascherano may choose to make his move to Barcelona. Another £30 million, though Benitez’s putative replacement would hope to persuade him to stay. Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina? Both are settled enough to allow a new man chance, and Juve, if that is to be who tempts Benitez away, can afford neither. Retaining Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher would be vital to ensure some sense of continuity.

Whoever the new manager was, they would retain the core of a very good team. Reina in goal, with Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly the right-backs, Carragher, Daniel Agger and/or Martin Skrtel in the centre, and the promising Emiliano Insua at left back, and maybe Fabio Aurelio. Mascherano, possibly, and Alberto Aquilani in the middle, Maxi Rodriguez on the right, Yossi Benayoun on the left, as well as the world’s best attacking midfielder and the world’s best striker. Youngsters like David Ngog, Daniel Pacheco, Nathan Eccleston, David Amoo, Daniel Ayala, Peter Gulacsi and Krisztian Nemeth provide a bit of depth. Plus around £40 million to spend. Maybe. Benitez may even bequeath his successor Marouane Chamakh and Milan Jovanovic, as Gerard Houllier left him Djibril Cisse. Thanks for that, Gerard.

Liverpool would not be finished. But then neither would the jigsaw of ending their 20-year wait for a title. Benitez’s replacement would need a centre back, a left-back, a central midfielder or two, another winger and a striker. At least. And Hicks and Gillett, through Christian Purslow, would need to provide the new man with a staff and a salary, and possibly compensation to his old employers. All for £40 million. It wouldn’t go very far. Liverpool would be stuck with £5 million players again, when what they need are £15 million ones.

The same cycle of trying to build a team to challenge football’s princes from the position of pauper would begin again. And round and round and round they’d go, because Liverpool’s woes do not begin or end in the Boot Room. Yes, Benitez has his faults. Yes, a new manager may solve some of the problems the club faces, but it is not a panacea for all of Liverpool’s ills. It is in the boardroom and on the balance sheet that there must be a change for the dance to stop.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 10:00:57 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Re: Wanted: New Liverpool manager. Must have GSOH
      Reply #1: Jan 28, 2010 09:53:08 pm
      is it me or does this article mirror what we have been sayin on here for the best part of H&G's tenure at the club???

idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Jan 28, 2010 09:55:36 pm
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, i suggest we ignore it as best we can

we don't need anyone in the media giving Rafa incentive to leave himself
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jan 28, 2010 09:58:13 pm
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, i suggest we ignore it as best we can

I think its actually a well balanced article and pretty much states why Rafael Benitez should be kept here at all costs, Its not encouraging Rafa to go to Juventus or anywhere else, just highlighting the problems that could arise for ourselves if it is to escalate to that.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2010 10:00:42 pm
      Looks like we need to remind Rafa again that he's still needed at at Anfield. And the best time to show it is during the match against Bolton.

Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 28, 2010 10:01:07 pm
      But the club have secured a £20 million per season sponsorship deal. Not sure how much Carlsberg were paying but I'd think less than a third of that. I don't buy the get rid of Benitez and were fu**ed. £40 million buys 4 quality players if spent carefully and that's all we need to mount a serious challenge. I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jan 28, 2010 10:04:43 pm
      But the club have secured a £20 million per season sponsorship deal pay off interest to RBS &Wachovia deal. Not sure how much Carlsberg were paying but I'd think less than a third of that. I don't buy the get rid of Benitez and were fu**ed. £40 million buys 4 quality players if spent carefully and that's all we need to mount a serious challenge. I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.

I've fixed that for you fella :D
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 28, 2010 10:06:16 pm

Thanks, i didn't notice my error .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Jan 28, 2010 10:09:56 pm
      I should have been a journalist. It must be dead easy to write any oul stuff that enters your head. For example

"Neil Warnock to replace Rafa" Load of cock obviously but you get the point
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 28, 2010 10:14:41 pm
      I actually think a change of tactics is all that is needed Benitez has lost it, too defensive and scared of losing.

I agree with you on the defensive looking side but tactics depend on availability of players, so it's pretty hard to say right especially with our health issues. Though I'm not happy/disagree with some of Rafa's line-ups/subs but he's the one who oversees the training and get the reports from the physios/club doctors so he must have known something that we don't.

Maybe the idea of scared of losing is because our backfour has been horrendous this season so his idea was to built the confidence in that department first before slowly bring in changes as our attackers gain their match fitness. maybe he adopted the '1 point gain is better than 3 point loss' philosophy especially after a dismal run. Still, we're in the 5th place, so we'll see how the squad reacts to this news come the the next 2 matches at home.

Anyway, I'll wait until the season ends before passing any judgement.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #10: Jan 28, 2010 10:17:39 pm
      articles like this aren't good for the state of the club, I suggest we ignore it as best we can

we don't need anyone in the media giving Rafa incentive to leave himself

This is actually a damn good article, ignoring it would be ignoring the reality i feel. Balanced, admits Rafa has his faults as most do, but acknowledges that he is only partly to blame, and that getting rid of him may be the worst thing for the club at this stage.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jan 28, 2010 10:25:58 pm
      This is actually a damn good article, ignoring it would be ignoring the reality i feel. Balanced, admits Rafa has his faults as most do, but acknowledges that he is only partly to blame, and that getting rid of him may be the worst thing for the club at this stage.

Exactly how I read it too mate ;)
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 28, 2010 10:26:34 pm
      I agree with you on the defensive looking side but tactics depend on availability of players, so it's pretty hard to say right especially with our health issues. Though I'm not happy/disagree with some of Rafa's line-ups/subs but he's the one who oversees the training and get the reports from the physios/club doctors so he must have known something that we don't.

Maybe the idea of scared of losing is because our backfour has been horrendous this season so his idea was to built the confidence in that department first before slowly bring in changes as our attackers gain their match fitness. maybe he adopted the '1 point gain is better than 3 point loss' philosophy especially after a dismal run. Still, we're in the 5th place, so we'll see how the squad reacts to this news come the the next 2 matches at home.

Anyway, I'll wait until the season ends before passing any judgement.

Good point, if you look at the table today we are right in the mix. But after Bolton at home we have Everton(h), Arsenal(a) and Man City(a) in which we need 9 points out of 12 to stay in contention from the 4 games. I can't see more than 6 from them games if we play the way we have been. Injuries have been a massive blow for us this season. Maybe March and April will prove to be key for us when we have them all back. Fingers crossed....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Jan 28, 2010 10:28:06 pm
      The way to get back to winning ways is to stop leaking goals, teams get nowhere going gungho, which is what we have done this season and the backend of the last, in the last 10 games the team have let in 6 goals, now all we need is for Torres to return and we shall have a much better chance of getting wins under the belt, and why, because we have become more defensive minded.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2010 10:31:25 pm
      The way to get back to winning ways is to stop leaking goals, teams get nowhere going gungho, which is what we have done this season and the backend of the last, in the last 10 games the team have let in 6 goals, now all we need is for Torres to return and we shall have a much better chance of getting wins under the belt, and why, because we have become more defensive minded.

we just need to play more attack minded players. 2 defensive midfielders in the same team doesn't create enough chances.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Jan 28, 2010 10:31:26 pm
      Injuries have been a massive blow for us this season.

We kicked our season off on Sunday, 16 August 2009, its now 28 January 2010 and we've seen what most of us would consider to be our strongest starting XI 3 times ?, when your sh*t out of luck and sh*t out of money, where do you place your expectancy ?

As for me its expectancy fueling the pressure on Rafa.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 28, 2010 10:33:34 pm
      We kicked our season off on Sunday, 16 August 2009, its now 28 January 2010 and we've seen what most of us would consider to be our strongest starting XI 3 times ?, when your sh*t out of luck and sh*t out of money, where do you place your expectancy ?

As for me its expectancy fueling the pressure on Rafa.

I expect better.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #17: Jan 28, 2010 10:35:38 pm
      too defensive and scared of losing.

Yes right these are the same defensive tactics that saw us notch up more goals than anybody in the Premier League and put 5 past the giants of Madrid.

Where the F**k do you people come from???
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 28, 2010 10:37:55 pm
      Yes right these are the same defensive tactics that saw us notch up more goals than anybody in the Premier League and put 5 past the giants of Madrid.

Where the f**k do you people come from???

Madrid were shocking, and if your happy with the sh*te being served up then fair play. Thats your view.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Jan 28, 2010 10:41:02 pm
      So were Man Utd then at Old Trafford no?

No I am not happy with the sh*t being served but the tactics have not changed since last season where we were so successful. They are not working right now due to Alonso, injuries, lack of creativity etc but in no way were they negative or defensive.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 28, 2010 10:47:24 pm
      Last season was last season... This is this season, and it is sh*te. Boring ,mundane, same old same old. No creation, no shots. Boring, awful football.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jan 28, 2010 10:51:44 pm

Telegraph Rory Smith

The same cycle of trying to build a team to challenge football’s princes from the position of pauper would begin again. And round and round and round they’d go, because Liverpool’s woes do not begin or end in the Boot Room. Yes, Benitez has his faults. Yes, a new manager may solve some of the problems the club faces, but it is not a panacea for all of Liverpool’s ills. It is in the boardroom and on the balance sheet that there must be a change for the dance to stop.
      Good Post

Good Article.

Good Newpaper. Another journo on there, Henry Winter, is always fair to us.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #22: Jan 28, 2010 11:05:25 pm
      Last season was last season... This is this season, and it is sh*te. Boring ,mundane, same old same old. No creation, no shots. Boring, awful football.

And most of that is down to the players down on the field not trying enough, we can all see the lack of passion. Rafa is making some mistakes, yes, but a side with Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera and Maxi Rodriguez in the attacking roles the other day should have been able to beat Wolves, regardless of how the rest of the team was set up.

Then the money issue, well if you expect a title challenge every season just because we are Liverpool, then you are just a glory hunter and should start to learn a bit more about how this sport works these days.

Quick Reply