Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

The Bargain of the Season!

Read 5163 times
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan
      • Started Topic

• 120 posts |
      The Bargain of the Season!
      Feb 01, 2010 07:23:01 pm
      Rafa is constantly criticised for his poor selection of players in the transfer market given all the £millions he has had to spend, but what an absolute diamond he has found in Sotirios Kyrgiakos.

How the tabloids and so called sport critics laughed when Liverpool FC signed him up!!

They thought that Rafa had finally lost his marbles, yet I saw him play against Bolton and what a star he was.

Not only fearless but commanded the defense with absolute authority that made the opposition realise that at last Liverpool FC had a player that commanded respect.

So here is to you Rafa.. despite all your knockers out there I for one believe you have found a real gem !!

Any other fans with the same view?
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2010 12:53:56 am by Reslivo »
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: The Bargain of the Season !
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2010 07:25:22 pm
      Rafa is constantly criticised for his poor selection of players in the transfer market given all the £millions he has had to spend, but what an absolute diamond he has found in Sotirios Kyrgiakos.
      How the tabloids and so called sport critics laughed when Liverpool FC signed him up!!
      They thought that Rafa had finally lost his marbles, yet I saw him play against Bolton and what a star he was.
      Not only fearless but commanded the defense with absolute authority that made the opposition realise that at last Liverpool FC had a player that commanded respect.

So here is to you Rafa.. despite all your knockers out there I for one believe you have found a real gem !!

Good post. I agree.
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010 11:09:06 pm by redkenny, Reason: simple punctuation added »
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2010 07:25:31 pm
      Well...yes, the last three games he has been outstanding.

We needed a bit of character and he's certainly got that!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2010 07:27:12 pm
      We all love Kyrgiakos.

And we love him so much we gave him a player thread all to his big self.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=21726.0

But anyway, if we're talking about Bargain of the Season then he certainly looks that way.  Good shout.  Some fans are putting him in their current Liverpool XI so that says a hell of a lot.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2010 07:38:57 pm
      So far so good as the bargain of the season goes, I can not think of a signing for lesser money or on a fre who's had a greater impact on a team, Including you Mikey O.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2010 07:48:20 pm
      He's in a good run of form... But I'm still not sold tbh. But I'm happy for now that's for sure.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2010 07:50:13 pm
      He needed a few games to adapt to the tempo and physicality of the League, but he's certainly found form since doing so.

The defensive version of Torres ;)
      joemack
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts | 13 
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2010 07:56:48 pm
      What I like about him is he doesn't muck about, if the balls there to be cleared he'll clear it, sod finesse. Let's hope he can keep it going.

Well played so far lar.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,262 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2010 08:32:31 pm
      Well done great start hope he can keep it up. Wonder how how he wil fare against the top teams.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 01, 2010 08:37:26 pm
      I like him,not afraid to get stuck in & plays with a lot of passion.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #10: Feb 01, 2010 08:39:04 pm
      Too many times I've said that about a player and then they just become average overnight. I was impressed the first few times I saw Babel and thought he reminded me of Macca the way he ran up the wings. Many others have done the same while they were fighting for their place and when they get it they almost stop trying to improve and amaze. I'm happy that we appear to gave got a good un this time though.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #11: Feb 01, 2010 09:05:47 pm
      I think he's been good recently but overall this season he and the other three centre halfs have been poor. Let's hope that his recent good run can continue and he can be a great signing.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #12: Feb 01, 2010 09:29:20 pm
      Fair play to the man,he has been oustanding in his last three games.I hope that he can continue at this level,there's no doubting his committment to the cause and next weekend's game is made for him,I only hope he copes when we play the top three clubs.
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #13: Feb 01, 2010 09:31:56 pm
      Early days yet, but Maxi could be the bargain of the season
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Feb 01, 2010 11:03:44 pm
      I'll let you know at the end of the season, but certainly the way Kyrgiakos has been playing these last few games, he could well be in with a good chance, I haven't seen enough of Maxi yet to pass judgement.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #15: Feb 01, 2010 11:17:21 pm
      Could very well be .
      Him or Maxi

Really good in the air.
      I dont have to close my eyes and pray anymore when we have a set piece against us.
      I actually have confidence when he's in the back 4.

Keeps it simple. Clears the ball. Gives 100% effort.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Feb 01, 2010 11:17:53 pm
      What I like about him is he doesn't muck about, if the balls there to be cleared he'll clear it, sod finesse.

Must be ex Prescot Cables then.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Feb 01, 2010 11:21:36 pm
      If you had said to me a few weeks ago that Kyrgiakos would be the bargain of the season, i would have laughed in your face. At the time of him signing, i couldn't believe that we had signed a Rangers reject. But he has been solid at the back, especially over the last few games, and provided the team with some character and confidence. Therefore, i would agree that Kyrgiakos would be our bargain of the season.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #18: Feb 01, 2010 11:26:13 pm
      Yep he's been sound   :) but lets see if he can keep the form especially against the top teams if selected :-\
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #19: Feb 01, 2010 11:32:38 pm
      he is an absolute ROCK

could he be a set centreback?

LOVE the greek
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 01, 2010 11:40:02 pm
      is there a song for this lad? :D

I love him more everytime ive seen him play.. he is undroppable at the moment.
      gironda
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -1 
      Reply #21: Feb 02, 2010 12:00:52 am
      I think the bargain of the season is Chris Buchtmann...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,358 posts | 1536 
      Reply #22: Feb 02, 2010 12:03:50 am
      Reject fron Rangers ? where are you coming from. He signed for Rangers, Learned to speak English so he would settle in better, then had to try and understand all hose jocks in glasgow. Thought he was on a different planet and couldn't get out quick enough. Now he is with a more cultured community, he has settled down quite nicely thank you very much.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #23: Feb 02, 2010 12:26:53 am
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos has been very solid.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #24: Feb 02, 2010 12:51:16 am
      For me the man typifies the Liverpool spirit.Did he go down when he lost an elbowed tooth,no he dismissed the pain and showed yet again some b*llocks,I'll bet Tommy Smith enjoyed that.I ideolised Tommy,so now for me get in Sotis, my main man.
      panos
      • fan from GREECE
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      • panos from Greece
      Reply #25: Feb 02, 2010 12:56:02 am
      i was one of a few kyrgiakos supporters some months ago. he has a lot of passion,enough for all the team. in greece we call him "alani" (you spell this alanee) it means punk but with the innocent feeling. i don"t know if you can understand me. many years ago he nearly stopped play football and he work with his father as a farmer. mr Marris believe him,he came back and when Goumas (panathinaikos defender) has an injury ,they take him to panathinaikos and i ithink that he played to champions league immediately. give my regards to him!!!!
      we (panathinaikos supporters) have a song for him "sotiri alani ,gama to limani"   .i will try to translate this "sotiris,you punk, f@@k the harbor"   . when we say harbor we mean the field of our enemy,olympiacos.
      twobe12
      • Forum Igor Biscan
      • Started Topic

• 120 posts |
      Re: The Bargain of the Season!
      Reply #26: Feb 02, 2010 02:18:26 am
      Wow.. I didn't think my topic would command such a response!
      As I said I think Sotirios will become an Anfield Legend, rock solid in defence and as much as our bitter rivals across the park must have thought they had a chance against us this weekend they will have to totally rethink their game plan!!
      For me the man typifies the Liverpool spirit.Did he go down when he lost an elbowed tooth,no he dismissed the pain and showed yet again some b*llocks,I'll bet Tommy Smith enjoyed that.I idolised Tommy,so now for me get in Sotis, my main man.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #27: Feb 02, 2010 02:38:03 am

I was worried the first time I saw him, he did look a bit slow to get the pass away, but in hindsight I think it was nerves. The past few games he has looked to take control of the penalty box and is first to put his head in and body on the line. As his confidence has grown he has got better and better.
      the new hyypia perhaps.........hopefull y we shall see him head a few goals from set pieces at some stage........we just need to find a corner taker
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Feb 02, 2010 03:13:00 am
      he apparantly lost a tooth against bolton for the Liver Bird cause!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Feb 02, 2010 03:23:10 am
      He's like Sami in that he commands the area, not as skillful on the ball as Sami but just as solid in that he do not like being beaten. He's old enough and wise enough to not let all the Kudos he is getting go to his head. fantastic player and one we need at this time, if he keeps this up his place in the team is a certainty.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: Feb 02, 2010 03:41:18 am
      Definitely the bargain of the season so far. Will be interesting to see if Maxi can live up to the hype and surpass him, certainly hope he does, but that both have a huge second half of the season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #31: Feb 02, 2010 04:39:48 am
      Wow.. I didn't think my topic would command such a response!
      As I said I think Sotirios will become an Anfield Legend, rock solid in defence and as much as our bitter rivals across the park must have thought they had a chance against us this weekend they will have to totally rethink their game plan!!

Wouldn't go that far, he'll be here two seasons at best, but ghe will deffo be a bit of a cult hero if he keeps playing as he has done in the last few games.

Should definitely start in the derby!
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #32: Feb 02, 2010 06:15:19 am

before he actully played i thought he was 2 mill wasted but compared to skrtel who cost around 6 mill , he is a bargin
      may even puchase a Kyrgiakos shirt next season
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: Feb 02, 2010 06:53:55 am
      Wouldn't go that far, he'll be here two seasons at best, but ghe will deffo be a bit of a cult hero if he keeps playing as he has done in the last few games.

Should definitely start in the derby!
      I agree with you about him being here for two seasons, but if he carries on playing like he has been they should be two good seasons for him and us.Like most people I was surprised when we signed him but so far he has hardly put a foot or head wrong,long may it continue.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 02, 2010 10:13:48 am
      He had a good game versus Bolton, i can agree with that.
      He is getting used to English ways, but it takes a season to judge a player.
      So i cant agree with "Re: The Bargain of the Season!" the topic's name
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #35: Feb 02, 2010 10:23:59 am
      is there a song for this lad? :D

I love him more everytime ive seen him play.. he is undroppable at the moment.
      :D We should make one, he's totally undroppable
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #36: Feb 02, 2010 10:24:32 am
      He has been outstanding recently and deserves is place in the team. I actually think when Agger is fit he and Soti would be great next to each other. Agger is great on the ball and can build from the back and the greek is there to win the tackles and headers.

Hope he plays against the blue sh*te.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #37: Feb 02, 2010 10:29:17 am
      This lad is the best defender we've got this season so far. I believe he's better than we expected and he's far better than Skrtel. If he keeps the good performance till Glen is back then I wonder what will Rafa do. He will have to bench either Agger or Carra, Now that's a headache!
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #38: Feb 02, 2010 10:59:01 am
      think hes being over praised if im honest.

Hes had a very good and a very solid last 3 games for Liverpool and the back 4 has looked alot more comfortable with an experienced defender in the middle.

However, the start of the season, the 3 or 4 games he had played or featured he looked very clumsy and was inconsistent. Maybe he was just finding his feet - premiership football, new club etc. But I bet if you go on his player thread you will find several comments from people slagging him off etc. Thats just the way this forum seems to work at times though. People only live in the moment, the present time, quickly forget about the past or quickly forget about the future and change their opinions every 2 minutes.

To state this lad has been our best defender this season or to state he is 'totally undroppable' is just getting abit silly IMO. I've even seen somebody compare him to skrtel. Come off it. Skrtel hasn't been at his best so far this season (like 8 or so other key players) but hes still a quality player. How can you say this lad is better than skrtel based on the last 3 games?

This comment wasn't supposed to be a negative because hes impressed everybody in the last 3 games, I just think people are going abit over-board with it all.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #39: Feb 02, 2010 05:41:16 pm
      Yep he has looked the part the last 3 games ,does what needs to be done,if the ball needs heading head ,needs hoofing hoof ,simple pass easy.
      So the lad has looked very solid so nice one soti and long may it continue..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3854 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Feb 02, 2010 06:04:20 pm
      Think he has grown into the part of commanding the backline in much the way Carra does and obviously his willingness to go attack the ball in the air has been a great addition lately. Wont get too excited til after the Everton game though as I think that will be a bigger test than he has got so far. In saying that he is starting to look like a great bargain buy
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #41: Feb 02, 2010 06:58:34 pm
      You cant call him bargain of the season when he has played around 6 times.  ;)

However he has been excellent and I'd like to see him and Agger at the back when everyone is fully fit.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #42: Feb 02, 2010 07:52:34 pm
      He looks like he has adjusted to the English game well. For me though Agger and Skertel are still my first choice pairing. Having said that, I think Martin Kelly is going to be a first choice centre back soon.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,262 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #43: Feb 02, 2010 07:54:55 pm
      Yes we are looking quite strong at CB if Agger can sort out his injury problems.

Quick Reply