Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Supporting two clubs?

Read 14341 times
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Re: Supporting two clubs?
      Reply #92: Feb 12, 2010 03:54:28 pm

No sh*t Sherlock.  :P

It was as close as i was gonna get to a description of god at half two in the morn, without the need for recreational help.  :laugh:
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #93: Feb 13, 2010 08:04:27 am
      Keane has always made himself to be known as a Liverpool FC.

However, he is 'duty-bound' to suddenly support Celtic as they're the club willing to pay for him to play.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #94: Feb 13, 2010 11:58:08 am
      However, he is 'duty-bound' to suddenly support Celtic as they're the club willing to pay for him to play.

I disagree, solodee.

Walcott is known to be a Liverpool fan, our very own Babel is known to have preferred Arsenal over ourselves.

I don't think players are obliged to make out they were a big fan of the club they are joining, just that some seem to feel the need to. Whether this shows a need for acceptance or insecurity on their part is debatable.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #95: Feb 13, 2010 12:02:34 pm
      I think Keane's assertions say more about the man than we ever could.  >:D
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #96: Feb 13, 2010 12:47:19 pm
      I disagree, solodee.

Walcott is known to be a Liverpool fan, our very own Babel is known to have preferred Arsenal over ourselves.

I don't think players are obliged to make out they were a big fan of the club they are joining, just that some seem to feel the need to. Whether this shows a need for acceptance or insecurity on their part is debatable.

Acceptance form the fans is Key for the player.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #97: Feb 13, 2010 01:56:09 pm
      I don't get it, either. I don't see how I could have any sort of connection for any other club, because Liverpool is the only club I could ever love.

What about Paul McCartney?  He supports Liverpool AND Everton. 

Hes a Tart.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #98: Feb 13, 2010 02:02:03 pm
      You only truly support one while have soft spots for others unless you grew up watching a local team (then again, Liverpool would still be the one you truly support).
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #99: Feb 13, 2010 02:35:42 pm
      I don't think there is out wrong with having admiration for the way other teams play football. Unless its the chavs and utd of course.

I remember the respect i used to have for keegan when he brought up Newcastle to the league. We had some memorable games against them. I would have loved it, just loved it too, if he could have taken the title that season.

I used to respect a lot of Arsenals fans too. They kept a quiet dignity during the years we were finishing above. Recently though, I've noticed a few gob shites stirring it up over our recent troubles. That's tarnished their image in my eyes. They now finish IMO just below the chavs and mancs in the gobs***e stakes . 
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #100: Feb 13, 2010 09:51:22 pm
      I disagree, solodee.

We should see if Arsenal want to swap Wallcott for Babel :laugh:
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #101: Feb 13, 2010 10:13:00 pm
      I guess you can't put your heart in 2 places, that's it
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #102: Feb 16, 2010 04:18:23 pm
      I dont agree with "Divided Loyalty" whatsoever. Im from Kent and Gillingham FC are my local team. I've seen them play quite a fair bit in the past, but I only ever went for the crack and the chance to see some football (whilst obviously hoping for a Gills win), I never really supported them with my heart, ever.

My old man supported Liverpool as a kid so I obviously followed in his foot steps at a young age. If Liverpool were to play the Gills in a cup competition (something I've always hoped for) I would support Liverpool 1,000,000%. I often look out for the Gills results to see how there doing, as I like to see them do well, but I have no passion for them whatsoever. My passion lies with the club thats tattoed on me and like I said before if these two clubs were to ever meet I would want Liverpool to destroy them like I would any other team.

I think theres nothing wrong with keeping an eye on your local teams results and hoping for them to do well in their respected league, but your heart should only have room for the one club and in my case that is Liverpool and always will be, regardless of where im from.
      « Last Edit: Feb 16, 2010 04:32:44 pm by T-Unit-LFC »
      yesh95
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #103: Feb 16, 2010 05:18:48 pm
      wow you guys are so luck to have the tradition of football clubs. Being in india, all i have is cricket
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #104: Feb 16, 2010 05:32:20 pm
      I support Liverpool and whoever are playing Manchester United.  ;-)
      yesh95
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #105: Feb 16, 2010 05:35:45 pm
      haha... same here but i also support barca
      voyager1
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #106: Apr 26, 2010 03:36:41 pm
      Can't remember how I stumbled across this topic and forum but I thought I'd contribute.

Yes, it is possible AND it does happen that some people support more than one club.

Its always been a romantic ideal that football fans pick one team when they're young and stick with them through thick and thin until the day they die. For some people, they choose their local team as this represents where they're from - their blood etc. Other people choose a team they may have seen on TV when they were young. In the old days, people used to stay in one job for their whole lives and were more likely to remain in their communities - hence supporting their local teams.

Now, things are different - the average person is now likely to have 19 jobs between leaving school and retiring. The average person moves house every 7 years and the internet now means its easy to keep up with different teams. There are a lot more people moving away from their place of birth and some people will switch to their new local team and others will stick to their first local team - representing who they are and where they're from.

The most common form of dual support would be a premier league team supporter, who doesn't live anywhere near their premier league team, rooting for their local side. A Liverpool fan living in Stevenage may walk round Stevenage on a non-match day wearing a Liverpool top but when Stevenage go to Wembley for their FA trophy final, that same person may go along as a lifelong Stevenage fan.

One club supporters will point out the dilemma of supporting two teams - what happens if both teams play each other? who do you watch if both have matches at the same time?

If both teams are playing EACH other, its simple - you root for the one who needs the points most. If its a cup game or both teams are in the same league position then you'd have a preference over one team but this can change from one season to the next. If one team is fighting for promotion and the other one trying to avoid relegation then you'd go with the team you prefer.

If both teams are playing individual matches at the same time and you have to choose a fixture to attend/watch: You'd choose the match in terms of importance, cost and/or convenience. If they're on telly then you'd most likely choose the most important or the team you feel closest to.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #107: Apr 26, 2010 03:44:56 pm
      I'm a Liverpool fan but because I'm Irish I also follow Celtic although I wouldnt be passionate about them and it does not really bother me that they lost the league this year... It is possible to be very passionate about two clubs though...I know people who are.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #108: Apr 26, 2010 03:47:54 pm
      Personally theres only one team for me and i couldnt give a sh*te about anyone else :)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3739 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #109: Apr 26, 2010 03:51:21 pm
      I support Lfc with all my heart but I also support a local club that is Valletta City (Malta).
      This link is of Valletta: http://www.vallettafc.net/index.php
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #110: Apr 26, 2010 03:59:20 pm
      I admire other teams, and if they're playing sides I don't like (i.e. the Mancs or Chelski) I will always root for them, but I support Liverpool and have since I started watching el futbol. Since I am in the States, I also find a soft spot for teams with fellow Yanks on them, i.e. Fulham, West Ham, Hull, and Rangers. However, if they come up against the Reds, it's not like I feel bad for them when we spank them. After all, the Yanks are used to being second best anyways, what's one game going to change :)?

You wouldn't believe how many Barcelona fans have appeared stateside in the last year. I understand it's easier out here to follow teams who are on the tube more often, and coming from a Spanish-speaking area it's understandable, but there are plenty of fans (casual usually who only appear at the pubs for the CL finals) who only support the teams in the big competitions. My favorite moment I've had was being at last year's CL Semi-finals and explaining to a guy who was a "die-hard fan of Barcelona" how Barca won the tie against Chelski when it was tied 1-1 at Full time :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #111: Apr 26, 2010 04:02:45 pm
      I support Lfc with all my heart but I also support a local club that is Valletta City (Malta).
      This link is of Valletta: http://www.vallettafc.net/index.php
      A city built for gentlemen by gentlemen...Nice.. :)
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #112: Apr 26, 2010 04:22:29 pm
      I live in Indonesia,

and to be fair.... during the 90s the Italian side are dominating the TV hence so many people supporting the likes of Milan, Juve, Inter, etc.

but come late 90's the EPL is the gem and people tend to support United (for you know why).... those supporting LIverpool ussually tends to follow tradition, dig a lil deeper to the roots of the old ways, because to be honest.... glory wise we're not that much of an appeal to the glory hunter during the early stages of EPL.

I only support 1 club, before i really knew what it means to support i tend to pluck the best out of every league, and claim to support them (silly me, but i was 14 at that time and living in Indonesia... I can forgive myself). Why I do not support my doorstep club? because the league here is tedious and crappy at best, there's no fun supporting and going to stadium where as a chinese minority your chances of going out alive is like the chances of a coca cola side meeting Liverpool in the FA cup (although lately the chances have increases substantially with us being sh*te :P)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3739 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #113: Apr 26, 2010 05:45:53 pm
      A city built for gentlemen by gentlemen...Nice.. :)
      Did you came here on holiday?
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #114: Apr 26, 2010 06:25:23 pm
      You usually find a lot of utd "fans" have two teams also - perhaps there local side, reading, colchester, etc.(basically any side that is not in the prem.) and of course man utd - just the way it goes, and shows what a lot of their "fans" are like.

I don't want to come across like a fascist or suttin but I generally hold the view that you should support your local team, the one you identify with most first and foremost - if liverpool were a sunday league team i'd still support them, i'd love to see how many mancs defected if they ever got relegated, oooo it would be quiet in old trafford.

Quick Reply