Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Portsmouth going into liquidation - will it affect Liverpool?

Read 15439 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Portsmouth going into liquidation - will it affect Liverpool?
      Reply #92: Feb 13, 2010 07:31:24 pm
      I really do not like to see this happening in football. And as someone said back in Australia about my local Aussie Rules team, he aint a fan but he knows how he would feel if his team was in that position - and i know id feel like sh*t if it was Liverpool. But, i see the benefits also. And after they sang that song when we were there as well, well F**k them then.

I just hope this serves as a wake up call that clubs are being run the wrong way at the moment!
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #93: Feb 13, 2010 09:15:31 pm
      What will happen with the FA Cup, will they be kicked out of that? Does that mean they'll do what they did when the Mancs never played in it and draw a "lucky loser"?

I think we could still be on for a league and cup double at this rate!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #94: Feb 13, 2010 09:25:04 pm
      What will happen with the FA Cup, will they be kicked out of that? Does that mean they'll do what they did when the Mancs never played in it and draw a "lucky loser"?

I think we could still be on for a league and cup double at this rate!

Love the positivity there mate :D
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #95: Feb 13, 2010 09:55:57 pm
      According to SSN corballyred is correct and if Pompey are wound up then the points will be re-calculated and those that gained points against Portsmouth, will lose them.  So we'd end up being third as Arsenal would lose 6 points having beat them twice already whilst we would lose nothing having been beaten by them.

As a fan of football though, I'd hate to see it happen to Portsmouth who do have great supporters, even the ones who beat the drums.  Although I won't deny enjoying the prospect of gaining position on the teams above us.  Just a shame it would have to happen this way, if it does happen.

I gotta agree really, its a bit of a 50/50.

Would be highly beneficial for us though!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #96: Feb 13, 2010 10:39:25 pm
      Pompey are a good club..... Respected fans...always play with their heart.... Wouldnt wish this on anyone unless its United...Call me cruel but I hate them!!

I rather see Pompey go down, as in relegated than liquidation...!!
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #97: Feb 26, 2010 02:30:21 pm
      Pompey entered administration. As far as i can tell they will lose 9 points and still play the rest of the season, so no bonus for us i think :(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #98: Feb 26, 2010 02:34:24 pm
      Unless they go bust it wont affect any other teams other than those immediately above them... and it fairness it wont really affect them either
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #99: Feb 26, 2010 02:35:24 pm
      Dont really think the FA would deduct any points just give points to teams who had games against them and knowing fergie he would complai
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #100: Feb 26, 2010 04:11:54 pm
      dont worry about their fans .i seem to remember the last time we met and the abuse they gave rafa telling him he'd be sacked in the morning . rafa's still here and their not so f..k them . anything that benefits us we'll take thank you. we need a bit of luck. pity its not the septics
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #101: Feb 27, 2010 12:35:56 am
      It's affected me deeply, can't eat, can't sleep, don't want to get out of bed in the morning..........

:f_wah:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #102: Mar 04, 2010 10:57:25 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8548666.stm

POMPEY FOR SALE !

30 milion?

That all?

Come on all you lads and ladettes we can stump up that.

If we bought Pompey all our players could put in transfer requests tomorrow.

With Rafa.....a new dawn.

We could call it Liverpool 2 or even .................  South Liverpool?

What?

That name is taken?

Oh. F.F.S. ! ! ! **** ! ! !

Ive just shelled out € 20 this morning from my back pocket for a new stadium and stapled some signs up.

fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #103: Mar 04, 2010 11:19:41 am
      I'm not sure FAZZA has got the drift of this at all. It is no disscredit to Liverpool or anyone else if Pompey go bust. Only Pompey. It just means that everyone ammasses as many points as they can, over a season of 36 games instead of 38. Everyone is still on a level playing field over 36 matches. I don't have a problem with that as I'm sure the rest of the prem won't. It will just be a sad day for Pompey and their fans.

I haven't got the drift?

Those football matches involving portsmouth have taken place so they shouldnt be ignored because their owners haven't got a clue how to run a business. If they were to go out of business then the FA should stand in and pay their players to finish the season off so its been fair to everybody. We haven't been good enough to pick up maximum points against them so i don't see why other teams should be docked points because of it. If things were the other way round, i bet anything you wouldn't be as excited or as made up as you are now.

If thats the way you want to finish 4th, by having other sides dropping points, laughing at them etc, then you are the complete opposite football fan to me.

Sorry lad it's utter bullshit, I would have laughed my arse off if the FA would have had a set of bollocks and fu**ed Everton off to the Uefa Cup back in 2005.

Im sure you would laugh your tits off if things were the other way round too HR. That if Liverpool had finished 4th, and Everton had won the european cup, and the fa chose to F**k us off for them. Im sure you would think thats well funny too.

Fact is, if the FA had done that to everton, it wouldn't have been F***ing fair, and although i hate them with a passion, i wouldn't have been happy about it one bit.

They finished above us in the league that season and therefore deserved their place for european football the follwoing season. I was just glad it was sorted out and both teams could enter the competition.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #104: Mar 04, 2010 04:46:21 pm
      Even though i don't want Pompey to go bust it would be better for us if they did. Villa, Spurs and City have all picked up points vs Pompey so they would be completely wiped out leaving us in a much better position going for 4th.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #105: Mar 04, 2010 05:13:28 pm
      Im sure you would laugh your tits off if things were the other way round too HR. That if Liverpool had finished 4th, and Everton had won the european cup, and the fa chose to F**k us off for them. Im sure you would think thats well funny too.

Fact is, if the FA had done that to everton, it wouldn't have been F***ing fair, and although i hate them with a passion, i wouldn't have been happy about it one bit.

They finished above us in the league that season and therefore deserved their place for european football the following season. I was just glad it was sorted out and both teams could enter the competition.

Kiss-arse!!

The precedent has been set in other countries before the FA had to make a decision. For instance Valencia were fu**ed off from the European Cup in favour of Real Madrid, who won the f**ker and finished fifth, Valencia finished fourth. Valencia were made to play in the Uefa cup.

So it would not have been unjust to Everton had they been fu**ed off to the Uefa Cup, it's just the FA sh*t themselves knowing the crying the Evertonians would be doing had they made the proper decision they were supposed to make instead of acting like the shitbags they are.

And you can't look at the argument the other way around Fazza, as Everton will never win the European Cup, now you're just being stupid ;)
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #106: Mar 04, 2010 06:51:06 pm
      Portsmouth going to the wall is sad to see, but any other 'normal' business would be wound up in their situation.  Its bizarre really as the majority of employees (players anyway) will all probably be millionaires   Personally this may be a blessing in disguise as it may finally bring some sanity back to the transfer situation and rediculous wages players are currently paid.  Regarding this affecting LFC, it may frighten our current owners into selling on at a reasonable price, but then again it may make them consider cashing in on Gerrard and Torres
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #107: Mar 04, 2010 08:10:55 pm
      Even though i don't want Pompey to go bust it would be better for us if they did. Villa, Spurs and City have all picked up points vs Pompey so they would be completely wiped out leaving us in a much better position going for 4th.
      Maybe even 3rd as Arsenal beat them twice.

Quick Reply