Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Happy to have a play off for 4th spot in the league?

No chance
      (86.2%)
      Yeah, go on then
      (8.3%)
      Not bothered
      (5.5%)

Play off for 4th spot?

Read 10138 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Play off for 4th spot?
      Reply #23: Feb 15, 2010 03:25:39 pm
      Pure sh*t.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #24: Feb 15, 2010 04:18:46 pm
      We can have this little playoff tournament overseas whilst we're at it as well. Go for the whole shabang.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2010 04:23:12 pm
      Bloody daft idea.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #26: Feb 15, 2010 04:25:34 pm
      We can have this little playoff tournament overseas whilst we're at it as well. Go for the whole shabang.

Budweiser Galactic Super Soccer Play-Off
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #27: Feb 15, 2010 05:06:05 pm
      sh*te idea

If it 'aint broke, don't fix it - just another way for the Prem to try and break up the "Top 4"
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #28: Feb 15, 2010 05:23:21 pm
      It's stupid.

4th best in the league should be given the 4th champions league spot.

Let's have a penalty shootout for Golden Boot then.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #29: Feb 15, 2010 05:24:15 pm
      Uefa give us 4 spots, because they want to see the best 4 teams from our country.  They don't want Birmingham or Fulham in the Champions league, this could result in them pulling our 4th spot.

Also aren't the top 4 teams part of the 28 Super teams???
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Feb 15, 2010 05:25:44 pm
      It's stupid.

4th best in the league should be given the 4th champions league spot.

Let's have a penalty shootout for Golden Boot then.

Dont give them anymore ideas.

Golden Glove can be won in the same shoot out.

Top four clean sheet keepers against top four strikers
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #31: Feb 15, 2010 05:54:48 pm
      The only reason I wouldn't mind this is that we should realistically be aiming to press on from aiming for 4th place.

If all goes to plan, this shouldn't affect us one bit. F**k the rest of the league. They can bicker over the scraps. ;)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #32: Feb 15, 2010 07:13:04 pm
      Yet another excuse to rob fans of their cash, Whats the f***in point, We already have a fourth place play off, If you finish 4th in the PL you still havt to qualify by beating another foreign team to actually get into the draw, The PL should be cut to 18 even 16 clubs IM0,Have a mid winter break, We play too much already, Look at Nando, When is he to have a rest, When we signed him he played in the Euros then had a fill season with us then played in the confederations cup, Another supposed full season with us, Followed by the world cup, Then another full season, FF'S no wonder the bloke is fu**ed, The same reason why judas owen is fu**ed now, But who cares about him, It's no for me.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #33: Feb 15, 2010 07:19:22 pm
      From what I have heared on the radio today it's going to a vote and if 14 clubs say yes then it will happen in 3 years time when the current T.V. deal finishes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Feb 15, 2010 07:53:53 pm
      Should 7th place get a genuine chance of playing in Europe's elite competition?

This. Why the F**k do the people in charge think this is even a half decent idea?! Oh yeah, money :roll:

If it was me, and something like this was going to have to happen, then id have 5th and 6th play off for a chance to play the team that finished fourth. Think that still gives some incentive for fourth, and then the 5th and 6th placed teams usually are a decent team.

But i still don't like it. Dumbs down a competition that is prestigious. There's a reason actors like Rob Schneider don't have Oscars, they aint good enough - same should go for teams like Spurs, Villa, and even us. If we can't make top four, why should we get a chance?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #35: Feb 15, 2010 07:59:45 pm
      The Dutch did this and the binned it. What is the point of punishing your self to finnish 4th only to have it taken away. We have 38 matches to find out where we finish. What is the point of adding more,.........

.......Oh hang on £$£$£$£$£$£$!!!!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36: Feb 15, 2010 08:02:15 pm
      I don't mind. I still think it should only be champions in the champions league.

I would have play offs for the other 3 places, and for the Europa league places.

Winner - Automatic
      2nd - plays off with 3rd for the 2nd Automatic spot (loser gets the 3rd champions league spot)
      3rd - plays off with 2nd for th 2nd Automatic spot (loser gets the 3rd champions league spot)
      4th - plays off with 5th for 4th spot  (loser gets the 1st Europa cup spot)
      5th - plays off with 4th for 4th spot (loser gets the 1st Europa cup spot)
      6th plays 7th for Europa Cup spot

Other spots go to cup winners, unless already qualified through league. Then play offs

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #37: Feb 15, 2010 08:05:59 pm
      The Dutch did this and the binned it. What is the point of punishing your self to finnish 4th only to have it taken away. We have 38 matches to find out where we finish. What is the point of adding more,.........

.......Oh hang on £$£$£$£$£$£$!!!!
      Well put mate that's what It's all about, It's  the cash!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #38: Feb 15, 2010 08:37:21 pm
      I personally don't want it happening, BUT if it wern't for the original 2 extra places and now 3 in the Champions League, we wouldn't have played a single match in Europes Premier competition since May 29th 1985.
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010 09:58:34 pm by frizzby5 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #39: Feb 15, 2010 08:46:09 pm
      Yawn - FA in new money spinning idea!

I've got a better plan. let's just F**k the idea of the team who finishes first becoming champions and make it like the NFL or superleague, top eight teams go into a play-off competition with two teams going onto to the "Super-duper Prem Grand Final" and all the fixtures could be played all over the world!!

Richard Scudamore would be creaming into his pants at this idea.

Money-grabbing bas**rds - just leave our game alone!! 

And when this does come to fuition, you can bet the final would be held at wembley and there will even be a shitty trophy so the winners can go up the steps. I'd be personally embarrassed should we ever have to go through that!
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010 08:52:02 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #40: Feb 15, 2010 09:09:39 pm
      I personally don't want it happening, BUT if it wern't for the original 2 extra places and now 3 in the Champions League, we wouldn't have played a single match in Europes Premier competition since May 29th 1985.

That's an oversimplification, to be honest mate. If only 1 team got into the CL then the UEFA Cup, or Europa League as it is now would hold greater value and would command more money from TV revenue and offer more in the way of prize money. It would also help clubs to attract top players if they knew you were going to be playing in that competition next season, giving you scope to catch the team that were Champions that year.
      In the current format, the 2nd European competition is worth f*** all unless you win it so the 4 teams in the CL rake in all the big money, can make all the big signings and get a foot-up in trying to pull away from the rest.
      So in other words, it's exactly the same either way and just looking at our league positions since 85 won't tell the whole story.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #41: Feb 15, 2010 09:25:40 pm
      Haven't read every post in here, but what's the point in having the 38 games in the league then if the play-off is what gets you the 4th spot? It would make the opposite of what happens now, whereby teams would be resting players knowing they have an FA Cup tie coming up because they're 5th and 12 points ahead of 7th. Therefore, is it not an exercise to bring the FA Cup and League Cup back to life?
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #42: Feb 15, 2010 09:27:38 pm
      I don't want a play off as 4th place is earned over 38 games not over 2 at the end of the season.I understand CRK's point that we should be achieving higher than 4th spot anyway,but we are currently playing with a handicap(in fact 2),so would have no funds to strengthen the squad to ensure a higher than fourth spot.Another reason against,is the sh*te quality of refereeing,which costs us games/points e.g.Fabregas's blatent hand ball in our last game,to name but one.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #43: Feb 15, 2010 09:53:26 pm
      Can just see Moyes with his bunch of bitter cronies voting for this.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #44: Feb 15, 2010 10:02:39 pm
      Silly idea but the whole UEFA set up is a silly idea.

Champions League yet 2nd, 3rd and 4th go into. What are they the Champions of? F**k all. Champions League should be for the Champions and the Champions alone. 2nd, 3rd and 4th should be in the UEFA Cup and the winners of the FA and Carling Cups should return to the arl Cup Winners Cup. And every F***ing one of them should be straight knock out from round 1.

Anyway that's my moan over UEFA's set up for their competitions.

Now for a moan about play offs. They to are a silly idea and always have been unfortunately. Take the Championship play offs. 6th place can get promoted to the Premiership despite finishing 20 odd points behind 3rd. Simple truth is it should be 1st, 2nd, 3rd get promoted to the Premiership.

So this whole idea doesn't sit well with me at all. Think it's another money making scheme to get another couple of games at the end of the season as well as a trip to Wembley to boost the revenue there even more. But if it goes ahead (which wouldn't surprise me) then hopefully we'll win it and find our way into Europe's premier competition.

I can see one of two things happening though should this go through.
      1 - us finishing 5th, winning the play offs and everybody on here banging on what a great idea this play off format is.
      2 - us finishing 4th, losing in the play offs and everybody on here slagging the format off to kingdom come.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #45: Feb 15, 2010 10:08:58 pm
      I can see one of two things happening though should this go through.
      1 - us finishing 5th, winning the play offs and everybody on here banging on what a great idea this play off format is.
      2 - us finishing 4th, losing in the play offs and everybody on here slagging the format off to kingdom come.

I'll start slagging it off now, DLS!

And guarantee Sky would have exclusive rights to the "Premier League Play-offs."

F**k this sh*t off, when the Euro Super League starting?

Quick Reply