Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Man City 0-0 Liverpool - post match dissection

Read 25718 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Man City 0-0 Liverpool - post match dissection
      Reply #161: Feb 21, 2010 11:05:15 pm
      He was dead right if Rafa is intent on playing 2 defensive midfielders you need your full backs bombing forward. We don't have that and there is a big problem.

Watching that back couldn't believe how bad the movement was. The amount of players that were behind the ball when we had it was a joke.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6970 
      Reply #162: Feb 21, 2010 11:05:22 pm
      To be fair I don't think Insua is the 'wing-back' to be highlighting in that example. 

Might want to pinpoint such statements on to the other wing.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #163: Feb 21, 2010 11:05:36 pm
      You mean you guys could understand what he was saying?  :angel:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6970 
      Reply #164: Feb 21, 2010 11:06:29 pm
      You mean you guys could understand what he was saying?  :angel:

After the number of people I've had to ban my broken English is perfectio.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #165: Feb 21, 2010 11:25:11 pm
      Another clean sheet, 8 in 10 is it now? Another game without defeat, 1 in 10 is it now? Another point gained.

Now I'm not gonna make out we should be over the moon with this result and certainly not the performance but we're still grinding out results that a lot of people on here would be chuffed with. Start of the season half the people complaining here would of been buzzing off a draw with City at their ground because they were convinced City had become a big club just because they had money.

The game wasn't great to watch but we restricted City to very chances again because we've reverted back to our hard to beat ways. We've got 4 defenders defending not pissing about up the field causing others to cover for them. With the results we were getting at the back end of 2009, we needed to find a way to stop losing we've finally done that. Teams now can't break us down with as much ease as they were in October, November and December.

So now we're sorted at the back, it's up to us to get the forward game working. Something that won't happen if we keep changing our front man, the thing that we've had at the back is stability. Up top it's one week Kuyt, then Ngog for two or three games before returning to Kuyt for a couple and so on and so forth. We need to stick to the same man and ideally the same two wingers, I know isn't easy with Maxi being cup tied for Europe but we need stability up top as well now to get the relationships built and confidence flowing.

But nobody really stood out as a top quality player today nor as a player who should be taking too much flak. It was very much like a team whose plan was to stop City playing the way they wanted to, it was like an away trip in Europe. Keep it tight and hopefully sneak one up the other end. We did the keeping it tight bit well but couldn't quite get the goal.

I'm not gonna start shouting blue murder of how anything and everything is wrong and how this doesn't work and how that should be done better because in truth if we were grinding out these results earlier in the season then this result would be seen as quite handy. I'm never happy when we don't win but I'm not exactly broken hearted tonight either. It's a result, even if not performance, that people would of been wanking over in July.

It was also the game where we were able to welcome Yossi and Nando back. Hopefully our front line can start to take a more regular look now they're back in the fold.

So overall a disappointment because it was our chance to stake a real claim for fourth but at least we didn't fall a further three points behind City.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #166: Feb 21, 2010 11:29:20 pm
      Slavan Bilic was a top player and is a top manager,his comments tonight were a breath of fresh air compared to some of the sh*te we hear/read in the media about our club.The sh*te that goes with being manager of a top "European" club is the reason why people like him hesitate to take up club posts.He expects more from Liverpool and so do we,but we are currently in a mentality, where to lose is fatal and to win is a bonus.Is not right imo.I'd rather go out guns blazing,because although my pride wants CL every year as a God given right,I know on our current course,we anticipate far worse scenarios.So Rafa please ffs let's go down if we must fighting.I see the likes of Villa ,Spuds and citeh better equipped to secure a 4th spot(squad wise),our main quality is our history,when we are challenged we fight,we refuse to accept defeat,time for Spanish caution to step back and for Liverpool/Irish courage to step forward.In the early Shankly years we had a mantra, Attack,Attack,Attack.Now is the time.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #167: Feb 21, 2010 11:36:07 pm
      To be fair I don't think Insua is the 'wing-back' to be highlighting in that example. 

Might want to pinpoint such statements on to the other wing.

Too right!!! The other side is just as bad or even worse with Carragher and Kuyt/Maxi. Carra's full back days were best served years ago under Gerard I feel though. Insua is a different kettle of fish.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #168: Feb 21, 2010 11:39:55 pm
      Slavan Bilic was a top player and is a top manager,his comments tonight were a breath of fresh air compared to some of the sh*te we hear/read in the media about our club.The sh*te that goes with being manager of a top "European" club is the reason why people like him hesitate to take up club posts.He expects more from Liverpool and so do we,but we are currently in a mentality, where to lose is fatal and to win is a bonus.Is not right imo.I'd rather go out guns blazing,because although my pride wants CL every year as a God given right,I know on our current course,we anticipate far worse scenarios.So Rafa please ffs let's go down if we must fighting.I see the likes of Villa ,Spuds and citeh better equipped to secure a 4th spot(squad wise),our main quality is our history,when we are challenged we fight,we refuse to accept defeat,time for Spanish caution to step back and for Liverpool/Irish courage to step forward.In the early Shankly years we had a mantra, Attack,Attack,Attack.Now is the time.

Well said...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #169: Feb 21, 2010 11:41:52 pm

Whats Bilic said? Pardon my ignorance ive been getting the baby to bed
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #170: Feb 21, 2010 11:44:11 pm
      Whats Bilic said? Pardon my ignorance ive been getting the baby to bed

I was just agreeing with RedRoy's comments... Not sure what Bilic has said..
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #171: Feb 21, 2010 11:49:07 pm

I disagree - going guns glazing has got us more than a few spankings this season.
      We have, under Benitez always been best at sitting back and packing a punch on the counter - I think in the wake of all the talk last season about home draws loosing us the league, he HAS tried to be more expansive with this the end result.
      To stop the rot we had to tighten up - we've done so, and with Torres, Benayoun, Johnson etc all coming back to fitness, I think things will click up front and we'll finish the season strongly
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #172: Feb 22, 2010 12:18:15 am
      Apologies if my comments have offended you, but I for one am not happy that we got a point against a City side that were there for the taking. Irrespective of the fact that they are unbeaten at home this season. Once again there was a distinct lack of creativity, Lucas Leiva, I repeat, Lucas Leiva is not the man for the 4-2-3-1 system.

He is really getting on my nerves. Totally uncreative. Can't pass, can't shoot... I really don't see his role in the game. And Maxi was unrecognised today. Did nothing worth mentioning. I really hope we play with Torres and Babel upfront when Torres gets fully fit. He will also get less injured this way.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #173: Feb 22, 2010 12:21:33 am
      He will get less injured this way? How does that work?

And so what have you seen from Babel?
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #174: Feb 22, 2010 12:24:48 am
      At least when the weather warms up Macini will take that scarf off....

probably wears it in bed

Anyway the most important thing today was not to lose. I'll take a draw for now....
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #175: Feb 22, 2010 12:28:51 am
      I disagree - going guns glazing has got us more than a few spankings this season.
      We have, under Benitez always been best at sitting back and packing a punch on the counter - I think in the wake of all the talk last season about home draws loosing us the league, he HAS tried to be more expansive with this the end result.
      To stop the rot we had to tighten up - we've done so, and with Torres, Benayoun, Johnson etc all coming back to fitness, I think things will click up front and we'll finish the season strongly
      No mate our problem this season,is due to injuries, we have not been able to use our most attacking formation, so Rafa as usual has defaulted to his tried and trusted formation,and good on him with his limited budget he has at least kept us in the mix.But my point is that over my 40 odd year involvement with the club,squad strength has never been an issue.Now it is as well as the usual manager's tactics.My views on that subject will be aired at the end of the season.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #176: Feb 22, 2010 12:31:44 am
      Anyway the most important thing today was not to lose.

I beg to differ though mate. The most important thing was to win in my book. Only 11 games left for us to play now. Regardless of what other teams do, we have to win and not settle for draws.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #177: Feb 22, 2010 12:36:16 am
      He will get less injured this way? How does that work?

And so what have you seen from Babel?

Babel will pull other defenders with him and create more space for Torres so he will be even more deadly. As for Babel - couldn't do much because he didn't get much space or chances. He surely can do more only if Rafa lets him play more. Whole team was only good in not letting City play today. Nobody shoved nothing special today. Was it the Rafas tactics or something else. Just saying we could have done more if Lucas culd have passed more accurate ball to Gerrard or Babel or if Maxi even tried to cross...
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #178: Feb 22, 2010 05:23:34 am
      Very dissapointed with that performance our basic footballing skills (i.e. passing, ball control,positioning) are bloody diabolical at times and today was no exception to this.

We really need to start throwing kitchen sinks at teams now, our defense appears to have settled from early season issues we need to do something about our movement and passing in the final third. Time and time again with this lone striker formation we leave a player up front on his own with the nearest Liverpool player to him some 10-15 metres away. When a ball is crossed in from the wide area we never have more than 2 bodies in the box and it pisses me off, our wide players see this when they look up and the ball is often knocked sidewards or backwards.

I thought the ref was a moron for being so trigger happy with the yellow cards 6 to us and one to them, although Mascherano was very very lucky not to be sent off for that Barry tackle in the second half I hope the FA dont look in to that.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #179: Feb 22, 2010 06:50:56 am
      Very disapointing drive home yesterday from Manchester it seemed to go on for ever,just like the game.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #180: Feb 22, 2010 07:12:23 am
      While a draw was better than a kick up the ar*e I was hoping that we would get a result,we had enough corners in the first 15 minutes to have finished them off.I agree with Dadorious regarding ball control and passing.As much as I love the REDS this short passing and not making any progress down the pitch annoys me.I thought Skrtel had a very good game  and was solid in defence.Hopefully with Torres,Benayoun and Johnson coming back we can start finding the (opposite) net with some regularity.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #181: Feb 22, 2010 07:16:32 am
      I beg to differ though mate. The most important thing was to win in my book. Only 11 games left for us to play now. Regardless of what other teams do, we have to win and not settle for draws.
      I agree mate a draw is as good as a loss at this stage of the league with 4th to 8th just about all in the mix 3 points is vital with Spurs, villa, city all in with a shout and a few have a game in had we only just ahead in 5th at the moment if we had won we would be 4th with a tiny bit of breathing space we need wins and the draw against city at this stage is damaging.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #182: Feb 22, 2010 09:19:49 am
      Didn't go the game but watched it in the pub on one of them dodgy channels.

City by all means do not look like a mult million type side. They were very average and despite one or two little moments, they caused us no trouble. Saying that though, Liverpool looked very tired i thought and caused City no real problems either. I saw the same below-par performances from the same players who haven't been performing this season, it just isnt good enough.

Reina - As usual, pretty much excellent when called upon. Didn't have to do much to be fair but his collecting from crossing, punching and saves were all spot on throughout the game.

Insua - Wasn't his best game but wasn't his worst either. Kept wright phillips queit but going forward he was poor. Gave the ball away too many times and he has definately lost a yard of pace compared to last season.

Agger - couple of dodgy passes that put is in trouble but overall solid and good performance from the dane.

Skrtel - Same as agger, one or two scary moments but overall very solid and had a good game.

Carragher - woefull at going forward. I no hes not a full back but you would think a professional footballer could do more than hoof the ball 50 yards up the field every single time the ball lands at his feet. Defensively he is sound but we need more from him if hes going to fill in at right back.

Kuyt - poor. Final pass at times was dreadfull. Still works hard for the team, put pressure on their back 4 and helped out carra when he moved back to right mid, but the lad showed no quality yesterday. Dissappointing.

Lucas - very queit. kept things simple with 5-10 yard passing but never got a proper grip of the midfield.

Mascherano - best player on the pitch. Broke most their attack up as usual.

Maxi - He did ok. 1 or 2 nice little passes and moves but didn't show any real urgency to run with the ball or to have a real go and attack city. Basically isn't up to tempo with english football yet.

Gerrard - little service but his set pieces and crossing were superb. Looked very dangerous and he will definately win us games for the rest of the season, he looks back to his best to me.

Babel - Started on the right and never really looked comfortable to me. Wasn't involved much and would have preferd to have seen him up top as a striker and have kuyt on the right instead.

I thought both sides settled for a draw very early on. Both teams were too frightened to open up and attack the other one. IMO though, we will pick up more points from now till the end of the season than city and i'm not too worried about them at all. I'm focusing on villa/spurs more than them.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #183: Feb 22, 2010 09:51:17 am
      I didn’t watch the game, I heard it on radion 5. That was more painful, bias wankers. Sounded terrible and from the highlights looked pretty dull. 1 shot on target for each team the whole game. And 3 off for each, both managers seemed to go negative. All is not lost, id expect a bit more pizazz. How did torres and yossi do when they came on?

Quick Reply