Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Man City 0-0 Liverpool - post match dissection

Read 25710 times
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Re: Man City 0-0 Liverpool - post match dissection
      Reply #184: Feb 22, 2010 10:01:15 am
      benayoun looked pretty lively and torres didn't do anything. Both had little time to make an impact though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #185: Feb 22, 2010 10:11:07 am
      One shot on target and two shots off target is pretty grim isn't it.

Like a lot of people have rightly mentioned though, players coming back like Yossi and Torres should improve those poor match stats.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #186: Feb 22, 2010 10:16:05 am
      I, for one, thought that how we played yesterday was reasonably acceptable. I'll happily admit that City were the better side, they passed with purpose, were more threatening on their attacks, especially Adam Johnson was causing all sorts of problems for us down our left side. I was pleased with the defensive performance at the back especially since it was crucial to at least get something out of the game. We upped our defensive game in the second half and for me, it was this solidness that could be built upon but we failed to do anything productive.

I'm not going to start slating a player here but I thought Maxi is not yet suited to the demands of the EPL just yet. He has the potential to be a very useful addition for us but when Yossi came on, I thought we started to be more settled and we played better football. In the 60-70 minutes Maxi was on the pitch, I did not see any of his contributions, he was quiet. Same goes for Babel.

We were taking too much time dallying on the ball and that was what caused us problems. We always like to play a style whereby we can dictate the tempo of the game by slowly going up and pressing them back into their own box. However, we were caught out by City's swift tempo and counter attacks, it looked as though we did not expect it.

Fluency - no fluency in tactical consistency yesterday. Babel started on the right, then switched flanks and I saw him on the left, then up top alone. There was just too much chopping and changing in the areas and I thought it really affected our gameplan as we had to 'regroup' ourselves to suit a different style of play.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #187: Feb 22, 2010 10:31:12 am
      Didnt go to the game, listened on radio and watched the highlights.

We didnt do the basics well at all but I still thought City were ther for the taking.

Our next three games are must win....9 points required and nothing less will do.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #188: Feb 22, 2010 11:25:35 am
      It was a really frustrating match and at times we couldnt hold onto the ball especially when we got into the final third.

A draw was ok, they are a good side who are unbeaten at home this season so its going to take a top side to beat them there, and we are not playing like a top side yet but with some quality players now back im really confident we will get fourth. Villa and Spurs are more inconsistent than us and i dont see that changing.

Disagree with the opinion that the draw is as good as a defeat cause City are still in touch and go to Chelsea next week.

Our next 3 matches are crucial against Blackburn, Wigan and Portsmouth and maximum points are essential.

Its not all doom and gloom IMO.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #189: Feb 22, 2010 12:14:06 pm
      Who was your MOTM? F***ing no one. Pitiful.

The FAN, the FAN  :f_whistle:   :f_whistle:  :f_whistle:
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #190: Feb 22, 2010 12:35:47 pm
      Negative Liverpool were scared of Manchester City, claims Emmanuel Adebayor after dour stalemate

Emmanuel Adebayor has claimed Liverpool's defensive approach in their dour goalless draw with Manchester City yesterday shows that his side are now a Premier League force to be reckoned with.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United have all suffered defeats at Eastlands this season and Togo striker Adebayor believes the Reds were focussed more on avoiding becoming City's latest scalp than chasing a valuable win in the race for fourth spot.

'It wasn't a good game and they came here not to lose,' he said. 'I think they were looking for a draw and that's what they left with.'
      The match was a game of few chances but Adebayor also insisted that he deserved a penalty after a push from Reds centre back Daniel Agger, and was not impressed with referee peter Walton's decision not to award the spot-kick.

'It was a penalty,' he said. 'Sometimes you can see things when you're off the pitch and they look like a foul, but when you're on, you know that they're not.

'But I was on the pitch and as far as I was concerned, it was definitely a foul.  If you watch the replays on TV again you will clearly see that Agger pushes me off the ball as cross comes in – you can't do that and I can't understand why a penalty wasn't given.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1252884/Negative-Liverpool-scared-Manchester-City-claims-Emmanuel-Adebayor-dour-stalemate.html
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #191: Feb 22, 2010 12:37:20 pm
      If adebayor's cock is as big as his mouth then his missus is a happy lady.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #192: Feb 22, 2010 12:40:42 pm
      :lmao: :lmao:
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #193: Feb 22, 2010 12:43:23 pm
      not losing games, has become more important than winning to the point that players look scared to express themselves and have a go.......
      personally i'd much rather see the team play well and lose the odd game rather than play cautious tripe and still end up losing games.  this season is an unmitigated disaster whichever way you look at it and the owners, manager and players should all carry some responsibility.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #194: Feb 22, 2010 12:51:48 pm
      Had a sleep and time to think about this.

First and foremost, a draw was a good result. It was imperative we didn't lose. A loss would of hurt morale more than anything and we'd be in a far worse position than the title chase last season (both situations chasing another team, but this time with lower morale).

However, the manner in which we got that draw was painful. No instinct to get forward, no ability to hit targets, no one grabbing the game by the balls, no one even trying to break the dead lock. Our biggest threat were set pieces and when that happens with Liverpool, you know we're blunt in attack.

I'm sick of this 'Gerrard and Kuyt needed service' crap. Kuyt wanted the ball so he dropped back to get involved. What did Gerrard do? Just wander around and let everyone else do the hard yards and wait for the ball to come to him.

I'm not saying another dodgy performance was down to another dire performance from Gerrard, because collectively we didn't fire at all. But, if we are to win games and big games at that, one of the biggest names in football needs to stand up and say 'give me the ball and follow my lead'.

Our defence was good, led by Skrtel who tore everything up. However what was with the dallying about? Every single on of our defence coughed the ball up in our on third, especially Agger. However, Reina once again showed why he's the best. Asked of once, and produced the goods (and boy was it good!) as well as thwarting every corner.

Midfield was dire. This means Maxi, Babel and Gerrard also. People will read this and think 'the Lucas lover is at it again' but he was our most direct player. Masch was outstanding in breaking things up, but when he had the ball he lost it continuously and Babel and Maxi offered nothing at all. Nothing. Gerrard was Gerrard - lazy and agitated. Lucas was everywhere. He was a real box to box midfielder. I won't hide behind some of his passing being abit off but correct if i'm wrong, 100% of Lucas bashers were spraying him for only playing 5-10 yard passes and now he's looking further up the pitch and hit most of his targets. He surged into the box at times and wasn't found because of the willingness to go backwards and play around our box with our centre backs.

0-0 was a good result, but how we got it was shameful. I can only imagine how we would of played had Tevez been in the side because what we did was not enough and his work rate would of cut us open. However there was no Tevez and no point looking to his exclusion to bring our performance further down.

Next time, more ruthlessness and more desire.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #195: Feb 22, 2010 12:56:57 pm
      First and foremost, a draw was a good result. It was imperative we didn't lose.
      No no no!
      I'm sorry but this is Liverpool Football Club. We shouldn't even be fighting for 4th place. Ok, blame injuries and bad luck for getting us where we are but we shouldn't be going into any Premier League game looking to draw unless we are 1 point from securing the title.
      The bad luck and financial problems have altered everyone's perspectives. We need to go for a win in EVERY game.
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #196: Feb 22, 2010 12:58:05 pm
      Had a sleep and time to think about this.

First and foremost, a draw was a good result. It was imperative we didn't lose. A loss would of hurt morale more than anything and we'd be in a far worse position than the title chase last season (both situations chasing another team, but this time with lower morale).

However, the manner in which we got that draw was painful. No instinct to get forward, no ability to hit targets, no one grabbing the game by the balls, no one even trying to break the dead lock. Our biggest threat were set pieces and when that happens with Liverpool, you know we're blunt in attack.

I'm sick of this 'Gerrard and Kuyt needed service' crap. Kuyt wanted the ball so he dropped back to get involved. What did Gerrard do? Just wander around and let everyone else do the hard yards and wait for the ball to come to him.

I'm not saying another dodgy performance was down to another dire performance from Gerrard, because collectively we didn't fire at all. But, if we are to win games and big games at that, one of the biggest names in football needs to stand up and say 'give me the ball and follow my lead'.

Our defence was good, led by Skrtel who tore everything up. However what was with the dallying about? Every single on of our defence coughed the ball up in our on third, especially Agger. However, Reina once again showed why he's the best. Asked of once, and produced the goods (and boy was it good!) as well as thwarting every corner.

Midfield was dire. This means Maxi, Babel and Gerrard also. People will read this and think 'the Lucas lover is at it again' but he was our most direct player. Masch was outstanding in breaking things up, but when he had the ball he lost it continuously and Babel and Maxi offered nothing at all. Nothing. Gerrard was Gerrard - lazy and agitated. Lucas was everywhere. He was a real box to box midfielder. I won't hide behind some of his passing being abit off but correct if I'm wrong, 100% of Lucas bashers were spraying him for only playing 5-10 yard passes and now he's looking further up the pitch and hit most of his targets. He surged into the box at times and wasn't found because of the willingness to go backwards and play around our box with our centre backs.

0-0 was a good result, but how we got it was shameful. I can only imagine how we would of played had Tevez been in the side because what we did was not enough and his work rate would of cut us open. However there was no Tevez and no point looking to his exclusion to bring our performance further down.

Next time, more ruthlessness and more desire.
      I think Lucas is ok but needs a more creative person alongside him.
      We are just utter pants at present, its really depressing and i cant see any light at the end of the tunnel
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      the referee (mr walton) 6 yellows?
      Reply #197: Feb 22, 2010 01:34:19 pm
      Did anyone else think that 6 yellow cards was a bit harsh yesterday?

And why didn't benayoun get a penalty when he was tripped in the box.?

Surely if the FA want refs to clamp down on diving, then it should work both ways and when a player stays on his feet after a clear trip he should be awarded the pen.

RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Re: the referee (mr walton) 6 yellows?
      Reply #198: Feb 22, 2010 01:36:36 pm
      It would've been given if he fell but Yossi was too honest.

As for the yellows, that pr**k was so trigger happy!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: the referee (mr walton) 6 yellows?
      Reply #199: Feb 22, 2010 01:36:56 pm
      Ref was sh*te. Obviously.

Benayoun stayed on his feet is why.

This all has to do with post match discussion, so use that thread.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010 01:38:58 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #200: Feb 22, 2010 01:39:23 pm
      Merged.

I thought the referee yesterday was very poor.

Looked like he's ready to be pensioned off.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #201: Feb 22, 2010 01:43:50 pm
      Merged.

I thought the referee yesterday was very poor.

Looked like he's ready to be pensioned off.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #202: Feb 22, 2010 03:23:38 pm
      Give us a break about Lucas Crouchinho he was poor yesterday every rating for the match yesterday gave him a 5 or 6. Every paper has Masch as our star man exactly how I saw it. I'm defintely starting to wonder if you are that lads agent.

What in your opinion is a box to box player, because it seems to be completely different to anyone else I've ever spoken to in relation to football. David Platt was the first box to box midfielder I can remember, his goalscoring was second to none for a midfielder.

Other box to box midfielders since include Lampard, Scholes even or very own Gerrard. Where the F**k does Lucas fit in, you no he has no goals this season and 1 assist how in Gods name is he a box to box player.

Masch is on a completely different level to Lucas,  Lucas will never be at this level. Can't exactly see Barc bidding £30 million for Lucas can you
      artc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #203: Feb 22, 2010 03:29:08 pm
      You all missed the point, which was, we had Babel up front we failed to get the ball to him because we spent far too much time going sideways -backwards, by the time we decided to go forward MC had 9 men behind the ball and we didn't have the players to use the wings and get the ball to the dead ball line and cross it. It's been said before and again here, put Johnson on the right wing and let's leave Aqui & Masch in the middle, link Stevie with Torres, it's also been pointed out since we've had the back four of Carra - Kiri - Agger - Insua the defence has tightened up, the main point is Rafa is far too cautious, we will never be a top team playing like this, but a leopard can never change his spots, or can he?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #204: Feb 22, 2010 04:11:16 pm
      I think that the games against Arsenal, Unirea and here today are showing that we are lacking penetration in the midfield, it wouldn't matter who was up front, Torres, Ngog or Chris Iwelumo, if you don't get the service, your up against it trying to get the goal.

Something has to change, and it has to be the system IMO, because either Lucas or Aquilaini, nothing is changing.

If I had one qualm (:P) with Rafa it would be this 4-2-3-1 system he persists with, it worked last year, if was an unknown quantity, now however, we just end up losing Gerrards impact as he constantly has a man shadowing him for 90 minutes.

4-4-2 time I think Rafa, especially against Unirea, we are better than them by lightyears, so to play only one up top at home against them was a bad move, show us your tactical skills Rafa, show us your not stubborn and stuck in your ways, fix it, as IMO it IS broken, we are like slow mothodical robots, we have no surprise factor about us atm, the key IMO is to play like last year in the last 3rd of the season. Unshackle the chains, show clubs we are Liverpool and if they don't turn up 100%, we will blast them off the pitch.

Since last season, other than Alonso and Arbi, only one thing has changed. Our negative mindset.

So unless Gerrard and Torres are fit, on the same pitch on the same day, and playing and linking well, switch the formation, and I don't mean in the 80th minute.

Pro-active, not Re-active.

Wakey-Wakey, its crunch time.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #205: Feb 22, 2010 04:14:57 pm
      From a blog:

''The Guardian’s Kevin McCarra best encapsulated the bore 0-0 draw between Man City and Liverpool at Eastlands when he wrote: 'Both managers were happy enough with the outcome. It is just a pity that the paying public had to be involved.'"

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #206: Feb 22, 2010 04:17:45 pm
      They didn't have to be involved. Boring games make the exciting ones even more exciting, if every game had 6 goals in it would be dull.

If you want to see goals a plenty, go watch beach football, or basketball.

Quick Reply