Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Man City 0-0 Liverpool - post match dissection

Read 25954 times
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #46: Feb 21, 2010 05:01:48 pm
      If we play like this, we can dream about wining the Europa League or qualifying for the CL. There's just no spirit, no need to win. It looks like that the players don't give a sh*t on how the match will end (expect Skrtel and Reina).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: Feb 21, 2010 05:02:34 pm
      They haven't lost at home all season it was always gonna be tough to win and especially without a match fit Torres... We have the best run in outta all the other teams going 4 fourth so a point here is massive they have Chelsea and spurs next and if the drop 2 points we can go ahead of them....

As i said later on, a draw before the game was a good result, but if the draw comes after actually trying to win then i wouldn't mind. From the start it was lethargic and restrictive and looked like nothing was ever going to happen.

Draw = good. Performance that led to draw = not so good.

Maybe being overly picky, but i'm not happy with some of the attitudes displayed.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: Feb 21, 2010 05:02:34 pm
      Let's not lose our heads here guys.

I bet most would've taken a 0-0 before the match started.

Objective mainly was to avoid defeat and we did that.

Bad performance though yes. I think we just very cautious of avoiding defeat though.

Good to see Yossi and Torres back however.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #49: Feb 21, 2010 05:02:37 pm
      Wonder how much City paid the ref.

Probably the most one sided referee performance i've ever seen

I felt like screaming fuckoff at the TV everytime he give us a yellow  :f_steam:
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #50: Feb 21, 2010 05:02:42 pm
      If we play like this, we can dream about wining the Europa League or qualifying for the CL. There's just no spirit, no need to win. It looks like that the players don't give a sh*t on how the match will end (expect Skrtel and Reina).

well said mate !!
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #51: Feb 21, 2010 05:02:48 pm
      They haven't lost at home all season it was always gonna be tough to win and especially without a match fit Torres... We have the best run in outta all the other teams going 4 fourth so a point here is massive they have Chelsea and spurs next and if the drop 2 points we can go ahead of them....

Villa have an easier run in dont they?
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #52: Feb 21, 2010 05:03:09 pm
      Wonder how much City paid the ref.

Why? Agger was lucky not to concede a penalty, not to mention Masch who nearly got a red but got away with it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #53: Feb 21, 2010 05:03:51 pm
      It is a decent result it is just the manner of it we are brutal in the final third, hopefully Torres can improve that but the service is dire.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #54: Feb 21, 2010 05:04:56 pm
      Actually, Rafa played 2 holding mids, Lucas and Masch and they worked very well together, shut them out for a lot of the game and Lucas was actually putting some good balls through in the final 3rd of the pitch, but there was no fight overall, Gerrard looked lazy and lacking in his previous spark, Babel did nout, Kuyt tried some, Maxi was alright, Aquilani didn't have a lot of time, Skrtel was MOTM and Agger played it dangerous, Carra played very well for me at RB.

Number 7 the ref was dire, about 2 of our six yellows were actual bookings, the fact that Barry didn't see 1 yellow let alone more is crazy.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #55: Feb 21, 2010 05:06:58 pm
      Gerrard was doing well in finding good positions, but when he made the runs and people didn't see him, he got bored and started to throw his arms out.

We're just not a team and nobody aware their teammates' positions. They just don't know each other somehow...
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #56: Feb 21, 2010 05:07:42 pm
      Let's not lose our heads here guys.

I bet most would've taken a 0-0 before the match started.

Objective mainly was to avoid defeat and we did that.

Bad performance though yes. I think we just very cautious of avoiding defeat though.

Good to see Yossi and Torres back however.

Well said Ross.

I, amoung others most probably just think that if more effort to win and create changes had happened then we would have been pleased with the result.

The lack of creativity in the final third of the pitch was the frustrating point to this match, and increasingly to other matches atm.

Edit: Forgot to add, yeah it's pleasing that Torres and Yossi are back.
      Hopefully with a bit more match time it should sort out our 'creativity' problem
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #57: Feb 21, 2010 05:07:53 pm
      Losing today would have landed us in trouble.

I'll take a point.

Interesting to note that all 6 of our games against Man City, Spurs and Villa have all cancelled the points out.  
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #58: Feb 21, 2010 05:08:48 pm
      are u a WUM u f**king joke
      ---> leave your name next time mate....

and another one, superfan who doesn't allow people to say any honest review... :D

get behind your team

Some people obviously didn't see the match what so ever....
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #59: Feb 21, 2010 05:09:55 pm
      As I said later on, a draw before the game was a good result, but if the draw comes after actually trying to win then I wouldn't mind. From the start it was lethargic and restrictive and looked like nothing was ever going to happen.

Draw = good. Performance that led to draw = not so good.

Maybe being overly picky, but I'm not happy with some of the attitudes displayed.

Again I'll reiterate Rafa knew that if we went at them we would be playing right into their hands as the have pace to punish us and going at them would leave Carra and Insua exposed to pacy players like SWP and Johnson what Rafa decided was to keep things tight in midfield and play restrictive counter football... When Chelsea came to Manchester they went at City and what happened they lost... Rafa realised this and said F**k that we'll frustrate them... Id much rather prefer sh*te football and a point than flashy football and zero points against a team that can't play away... Up next for them is a cup game against Stoke where no doubt they will come back with bumps and bruises and this season is coming to it's final stretch and we have Torres and Benny coming back... head up and support your team lads!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #60: Feb 21, 2010 05:11:00 pm
      Lucas had a vastly improved second half I thought and looked like the main driver of play through the middle, he was poor first half.

I would have thought Man City would be most disappointed. That was a particularly insipid home performance from them.  The barrels of money they have spent on that side and they looked very average. Fair shout we weren't much better.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #61: Feb 21, 2010 05:11:20 pm
      There was no good balls coming from the midfield, Lucas gave away more than he found a man.

Two defensive midfielders keeps it solid but as you've seen today and all season we have no creativity in the centre of the pitch. What have they 1 assist and a deflected goal between them.

The passing all over the pitch was sh*te it was sh*te Thursday night and has been sh*te all season.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #62: Feb 21, 2010 05:12:38 pm
      We've created next to nothing and that is pretty embarrassing from a team chasing Champion's League football.  And City should feel even more embarrassed of their showing in front of their own fans.  Both teams were shocking! 

Good to see Torres and Benayoun back though.  Skrtel and Mascherano head and shoulders above anybody else on the pitch.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #63: Feb 21, 2010 05:12:40 pm
      I'm sorry, I just can't go along with the theory that a draw was a good result. There's only eleven games left. We're in the business end of the season now and instead of grinding out draws, we should be grinding out wins.

I'd say it was a poor result but certainly could have been worse.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #64: Feb 21, 2010 05:13:07 pm
      Lucas had a vastly improved second half I thought and looked like the main driver of play through the middle, he was poor first half.

Lucas did look good in the second half. I think in general he has improved a lot in the past few months.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #65: Feb 21, 2010 05:14:44 pm
      This has got to be the worst passing Liverpool side I have ever seen. Whoever is coaching them needs to be sacked with immediate effect. Once again our Beloved Leader settles for a draw. "We are happy with a point" My backside. Benitez should have taken Lucas off and dropped Gerrard back into his place. Oh sorry, just remembered it's the owners who pick the side and make the substitutions.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #66: Feb 21, 2010 05:14:55 pm
      I thought Lucas was the 2nd MOTM behind Skrtel. He was very good defending like always, and offered us the most going forward. He was hitting good passes and very nice runs across the field.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #67: Feb 21, 2010 05:16:30 pm
      Losing today would have landed us in trouble.

I'll take a point.

Interesting to note that all 6 of our games against Man City, Spurs and Villa have all cancelled the points out.  
      A very welcome point and considering citeh are not in the habit of donating points at home to anyone it's gratefully accepted.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #68: Feb 21, 2010 05:16:41 pm
      I agree Matt I thought Masch and Skrtel were head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch today.

Agree as well City were muck today, they don't look right under Mancini. I piss myself when I think they paid £24 million for Lescott.

Quick Reply