Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Passing

Read 5018 times
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Re: Passing
      Reply #23: Feb 21, 2010 10:04:27 pm
      thing i find most ironic is, he is up ferguscums arse and he's an ex blue-nose (so he tries to slate us whenever he can). But sometimes he cant help but praise us ;D

oh and he cant help being a consistent wan*er
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #24: Feb 21, 2010 10:04:59 pm

It wasn't even about a superb 60 yard pass in that clip.

Simple passing and moving, they went backwards as well but as the front lads were moving around we could easily ping it back forward again.

And then one moment of quality (the dummy) and the space has opened up for the shot.

With Torres and Benayoun back hopefully it will improve.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #25: Feb 21, 2010 10:05:34 pm
      maybe we need Danny Murphy back?

shouldnt have sold him in the 1st place
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #26: Feb 21, 2010 10:09:28 pm
      shouldnt have sold him in the 1st place

He was replaced by alonso remember!

SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #27: Feb 21, 2010 10:24:34 pm
      He was replaced by alonso remember!

Fair one, i cant exactly go and slag off Xabi, after following up the penalty in Istanbul.

Both great passers of the ball going forwards, both missed when they left
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #28: Feb 21, 2010 10:29:14 pm
      Yeah danny has gone on to great things! And alonso is hardly appreciated at the bernabue.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #29: Feb 21, 2010 10:32:53 pm
      Fair one, i cant exactly go and slag off Xabi, after following up the penalty in Istanbul.

Both great passers of the ball going forwards, both missed when they left

Danny Murphy wasn't missed though was he, he was replaced by a better player, plus the fact it's only over the past season and a half he's started to look good.

Don't remember him playing that well at Charlton or Spurs.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #30: Feb 21, 2010 10:48:28 pm
      Someone starts a topic to discuss our passing and then someone posts a random goal from 2001 against a sh*t Derby team at home.

Then we start talking about how we shouldn't have sold Danny 'World Cup Winner' Murphy.

The mind boggles at some of the thought processes going on in this thread.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #31: Feb 21, 2010 10:49:39 pm
      Someone starts a topic to discuss our passing and then someone posts a random goal from 2001 against a sh*t Derby team at home.

It was away! ;)
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #32: Feb 21, 2010 10:53:13 pm
      I think one of the main problems is we have players who have difficulty handling the speed of the average EPL game.

You're closed down far quicker in this league than any other thus giving you less time on the ball and a higher chance of mis-hitting a pass, i know it's not much of an excuse and the players should be well adapted to the speed of the game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #33: Feb 21, 2010 10:56:28 pm
      I saw two things which didn't help our passing today.

First of all, the first touch. Arguably a greater concern than our passing.  sh*t first touch invariably leads to less time on the ball to measure your pass.

And secondly, players making themselves available.  I saw Rodriguez run away with the ball before having to spin around 3 times or so while waiting for players to either get forward, or get themselves away from a defender.

It isn't just as easy as saying passing is sh*t.  There is another critical component that all Liverpool fans should be aware of.

Pass AND move.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #34: Feb 21, 2010 11:05:45 pm
      Minimum 3 players should be around the ball to pass and move,like a triangle formation.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #35: Feb 21, 2010 11:22:21 pm

Spot on. Especially this. Hence why I posted the pass and move Liverpool groove thing.

We're not doing it as we should do. Simple as that. Personally I think it relates to our central midfield and wide men, plus also the fact that our confidence has been shot this season and we're scared of leaving gaps and being vulnerable.

Basically, I feel we haven't got the guts we once had to drive forward, give the early ball or get into the box as fast as we need to. I think when you look at todays game, it speaks volumes when we didn't have a shot on target until the seventieth minute or later?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #36: Feb 21, 2010 11:35:49 pm

First of all, the first touch. Arguably a greater concern than our passing.  Sh*t first touch invariably leads to less time on the ball to measure your pass.

And secondly, players making themselves available.  I saw Rodriguez run away with the ball before having to spin around 3 times or so while waiting for players to either get forward, or get themselves away from a defender.

It isn't just as easy as saying passing is sh*t.  There is another critical component that all Liverpool fans should be aware of.

Pass AND move.

Spot on. Especially this. Hence why I posted the pass and move Liverpool groove thing.

We're not doing it as we should do. Simple as that. Personally I think it relates to our central midfield and wide men, plus also the fact that our confidence has been shot this season and we're scared of leaving gaps and being vulnerable.

Basically, I feel we haven't got the guts we once had to drive forward, give the early ball or get into the box as fast as we need to. I think when you look at todays game, it speaks volumes when we didn't have a shot on target until the seventieth minute or later?

Thank you both for the type of answers I was hoping for

Agree fully about the first touch, another point I thought of raising, which again goes back to what do we do in training?
      zaironnie
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 22, 2010 01:04:51 am

at least the ball is moving backwards and forwards in opposition half..:p..
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #38: Feb 22, 2010 08:25:46 am
      I think one of the main problems is we have players who have difficulty handling the speed of the average EPL game.
      How many players do we have in the first team now that weren't in there last season when we were looking unbeatable for long periods? They were able to handle the pace then.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #39: Feb 22, 2010 08:39:05 am
      It's bothering me as well.

A 40 yard forward pass will sometimes be misplaced, a through ball will be cut out once in a while, but there is no excuse for a 5-15 yard pass going straight to the opposition. All of our players are capable of doing it.

Another problem I think is the long hopeful balls from the back. They just end up giving the opposition the ball as well because we don't have a target man up front.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #40: Feb 22, 2010 08:45:16 am
      We defo have to improve this area.
      JD said rightly, its not only the passing, its passing AND moving!
      I have a gut feeling dropping Stevie G back into the midfield may work. His passing and movement is accurate, and I think that is just what we need.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #41: Feb 22, 2010 09:10:38 am
      I think quite a few teams have developed a strategy that when they play the (big four) they will unsettle them by not allowing any time on the ball. It seems nowadays more and more teams are doing this more and more regularly. Everton did it to United, and as a consequence Everton looked the better passing team over the 90 minutes. In that clip you see several little passes into the attacking third where our players were in space, the opponents sitting off the player in possession and allowing space for others to stroll into.

In most games this season we are seeing teams not even allow time for defenders to receive the ball from the keeper, without putting them immediately under pressure. The City/Liverpool match looked untidy for long periods because both teams were putting all their energy into shutting down rather than creating.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #42: Feb 22, 2010 12:09:37 pm
      Well this is what I said straight after the match against City:

we have literally nothing in the final third, utterly no movement or imagination. The players just stand about waiting for the player on the ball to do something, it's shocking.

And our inability to pass is worse than ever, simple control is lacking, awareness, the basics.

Everyone further forward than Reina and the back four can hang their heads in shame, not just based on this match of course.

It's not just the passing, it's all the basics. How the F**k are professional, International quality players making such simple schoolboy errors is beyond me. It's not even creativity we're talking about, just once you've passed to someone, move FFS to make a bit of space.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Feb 22, 2010 01:02:20 pm
      Off the ball we're sh*te. I saw Lucas, Kuyt, Insua and Benny make runs, and that was out of 12 outfield players used.

They pass, stay still, and then ask for it back because the person they pass to has no other option.

EDIT: I just seen these two posts so just read them and that's how i feel:

First of all, the first touch. Arguably a greater concern than our passing.  sh*t first touch invariably leads to less time on the ball to measure your pass.

Pass AND move.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #44: Feb 22, 2010 01:26:03 pm

First of all, the first touch. Arguably a greater concern than our passing.  Sh*t first touch invariably leads to less time on the ball to measure your pass.

Pass AND move.

Agreed JD.  The passes going astray start by a bad first touch and then the ball being played into space that nobody anticipates.

You can't expect fast flowing, attacking football when everybody is standing still.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #45: Feb 22, 2010 04:17:57 pm
      Rafa needs to kick some a**e!!

Quick Reply