Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Horse Racing

Read 84259 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Horse Racing.
      Reply #184: Nov 16, 2012 07:10:34 pm
      Galileo is reportedly going at €325,000 by private appointment. So basically you can have the money but if the mare isn't good enough you won't get the service. So Frankel has a bit to go to catch up with his daddy. :)

First big race of the jumps season on tomorrow, the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham. I'm going to Punchestown myself but going to the bookies early to back Hunt Ball. He's 6/1 for the big one tomorrow and as far as I can see that is a great bet. Grand Crus is the favourite but I can easily see Hunt Ball winning.

Blimey I didn't realise Galileo was that much ?!

Out of interest do you know how much Rock of Gibraltar is ?

Good luck at the races tommz
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #185: Nov 16, 2012 07:22:46 pm
      Blimey I didn't realise Galileo was that much ?!

Out of interest do you know how much Rock of Gibraltar is ?

Good luck at the races tommz

Yeah but I don't think many people pay the full amount. I know early on in his stud career Coolmore were very interested in doing deals where they got stakes in the foals for reduced or free services.

Rock of Gibraltar is €17,500. Good fee for him if you have the right mare.

Cheers mate, I could do with a few winners to be honest. :P
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #186: Nov 16, 2012 07:27:12 pm
      That does seem a fair price for Rock's pedigree

If I ever get some tips from the OH and her sister ill pass them on mate

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #187: Nov 16, 2012 07:37:13 pm
      Grand Crus cost me many many £1000's at cheltenham last year, had so many multiple bets rolling up on to him. If him and New Year's Eve would of won I would of been rolling in it. Had many stories like that over the years though, so close yet so far.

Rumours he wasn't right at Cheltenham though and is a stronger horse this year so we'll see, had a good touch on Dynaste and Dodging Bullets today, think it was a great performance by Dodging Bullets considering how the race was run.

With regards the PP Gold Cup, all the value has gone now in Grand Crus, 5/2 is a shocking price considering he's giving a stone to Walkon and that would be my very tentative choice. Nowhere near the best horse in the race but on that weight has to come into calculations. Wouldn't put you off Hunt Ball, god only knows where the improvement will stop with him.

Be nice to see Sprinter Sacre out again on Sunday, that and Sir Des Champs, Big Bucks and Quevega would be my 4 ones for Cheltenham next year.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #188: Nov 16, 2012 08:24:54 pm
      That does seem a fair price for Rock's pedigree

If I ever get some tips from the OH and her sister ill pass them on mate

It's grand if you are meticulous with the mare. People have just thrown any sort of mares at him in the past and because of that his progeny are hot and cold.

Cheers mate. I was getting great tips there at the end of last NH season and most of the flat season. Haven't heard from the lad in a while. :-\ If I get any decent ones I'll try return the favour anyway mate.

Grand Crus cost me many many £1000's at cheltenham last year, had so many multiple bets rolling up on to him. If him and New Year's Eve would of won I would of been rolling in it. Had many stories like that over the years though, so close yet so far.

Rumours he wasn't right at Cheltenham though and is a stronger horse this year so we'll see, had a good touch on Dynaste and Dodging Bullets today, think it was a great performance by Dodging Bullets considering how the race was run.

With regards the PP Gold Cup, all the value has gone now in Grand Crus, 5/2 is a shocking price considering he's giving a stone to Walkon and that would be my very tentative choice. Nowhere near the best horse in the race but on that weight has to come into calculations. Wouldn't put you off Hunt Ball, god only knows where the improvement will stop with him.

Be nice to see Sprinter Sacre out again on Sunday, that and Sir Des Champs, Big Bucks and Quevega would be my 4 ones for Cheltenham next year.

I don't see any value in Grand Crus at all. Walkon is a decent horse but there's quality opposition out there tomorrow, a decent each way bet all the same.

I picked Dynaste but never backed it today, typical. Dodging Bullets was very impressive alright.

Sprinter Sacre has a big season ahead of him. If he continues the way he left off last season he'll be a beast this year. I'm skeptical over Big Bucks this year, I have to wonder if he can do it all again. Although I'm waiting to be proven wrong with a wonderful talent like him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #189: Nov 17, 2012 02:44:06 pm
      Thought I was gonna score with Walkon for a while, good performance by Al Ferof though. Last 2 jumps possibly cost Walkon and maybe didn't quite stay in that ground.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #190: Nov 20, 2012 03:04:07 pm
      Thought I was gonna score with Walkon for a while, good performance by Al Ferof though. Last 2 jumps possibly cost Walkon and maybe didn't quite stay in that ground.

I had a horrible weekend betting. Hunt ball was a big let down, told a mate Al Ferof was a good each way shout, he's happy out with €150 for himself. Typical.

I had Walk On each way as well but only got €15 for it.

As bad as my betting was, gotta feel for the person that had £29,000 matched on betfair at 1.01 for Benny The Swinger when young Jockey Brendan Powell took the wrong course in the finish at Fakenham when he was well clear. He's been given a 14 day ban. In fairness a lot of jockeys have made the same mistake at the course in the past and it is hard to distinguish.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #191: Nov 20, 2012 04:26:45 pm
      I had a horrible weekend betting. Hunt ball was a big let down, told a mate Al Ferof was a good each way shout, he's happy out with €150 for himself. Typical.

I had Walk On each way as well but only got €15 for it.

As bad as my betting was, gotta feel for the person that had £29,000 matched on betfair at 1.01 for Benny The Swinger when young Jockey Brendan Powell took the wrong course in the finish at Fakenham when he was well clear. He's been given a 14 day ban. In fairness a lot of jockeys have made the same mistake at the course in the past and it is hard to distinguish.

£29000 to win £290 though, I feel sorry for him in some ways but in others you have to question his sanity. As J.P. McManus once said regarding a 1/7 shot, if you can afford the 7 you don't need the 1 which is a very good philosophy towards odds on shots. I very rarely back anything below Evens just out of principle.

Try not to back anything each way below 12/1 too and tend to just stick to wins below that because of the poor returns. Al Ferof did well, Nicholl's yard is flying at the minute that's for sure, have to say I wasn't surprised by Grand Crus' poor display and I'll definitely not be backing that until it shows any type of return to form.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #192: Nov 20, 2012 04:44:00 pm
      £29000 to win £290 though, I feel sorry for him in some ways but in others you have to question his sanity. As J.P. McManus once said regarding a 1/7 shot, if you can afford the 7 you don't need the 1 which is a very good philosophy towards odds on shots. I very rarely back anything below Evens just out of principle.

Try not to back anything each way below 12/1 too and tend to just stick to wins below that because of the poor returns. Al Ferof did well, Nicholl's yard is flying at the minute that's for sure, have to say I wasn't surprised by Grand Crus' poor display and I'll definitely not be backing that until it shows any type of return to form.

Same as that, the risk is too high. Putting on all that money to win a fraction of it, pointless.

I never seen where the price for Grand Crus came from? It was a quality field of horses he was that far ahead of them to warrant that price. His odds might be good enough next time out though?

Nicholl's is showing his talent, he has a very young string of horses this year but he's still getting the same results. Speaking of Nicholls, one of his reliable stalwarts is enjoying his new life. Denman out hunting;

George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #193: Nov 20, 2012 04:46:53 pm
      What a stunning looking horse he is !

Great to see them enjoying a relaxing life
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #194: Nov 20, 2012 05:25:19 pm
      What a stunning looking horse he is !

Great to see them enjoying a relaxing life

It's great to see. I'm not sure if they have them in the UK but recently in Ireland we've started Racehorse to riding horse classes at shows. Basically turning ex-racehorses into sports horses. It's getting more popular and at the Dublin Horse Show at the RDS each year horses like Kicking King and Moscow Flyer are competing. It's great to see.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #195: Nov 20, 2012 05:27:52 pm
      That does sound good - one of ours has been turned from a racer to a show jumper.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #196: Nov 20, 2012 05:35:35 pm
      That does sound good - one of ours has been turned from a racer to a show jumper.

I've done it with a few as well, but these are classes similar to working hunter show classes specifically for ex racehorses.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #197: Nov 20, 2012 05:36:48 pm
      I've done it with a few as well, but these are classes similar to working hunter show classes specifically for ex racehorses.

Ah right - that would take a lot to turn the horse away from natural instincts - certainly gives a whisperer a lot of work
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #198: Nov 20, 2012 07:52:25 pm
      Same as that, the risk is too high. Putting on all that money to win a fraction of it, pointless.

I never seen where the price for Grand Crus came from? It was a quality field of horses he was that far ahead of them to warrant that price. His odds might be good enough next time out though?

Nicholl's is showing his talent, he has a very young string of horses this year but he's still getting the same results. Speaking of Nicholls, one of his reliable stalwarts is enjoying his new life. Denman out hunting;

One of my favourite horses Denman even though he cost me £1000's the first time he lost to Nicanor, loved when he won the Gold Cup, such an amazing performance. Totally agree with you that Grand Crus' price was completely false, word from the trainer who continually talks up his horses and people never learn. Could easily be a decent price next time but honestly wont touch him, was an extremely flat performance.

Betfair chase has completely cut up and looks a match between Long Run and Silviniaco Conti, even though Long Run ran poorly last year, it was poor when judged against his high standards and I think SC will have to be close to top drawer to beat him on a track that should suit Long Run. Personally would give the edge to Long Run and the prices reflect that to be honest, even though I was on and was impressed with SC first time. Certainly wont be backing Long Run at that price though because it wouldn't be a shock at all to see SC come out on top, shame to see it as such a small field.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #199: Dec 03, 2012 02:32:28 pm
      Silviniaco Conti was a machine in the Betfair chase. I thought he would do well but that was a pleasant surprise to see him pull that out of the bag. Nicholls very quick to come out and say he's taking his time with him and calm the hype surrounding him.

I felt for Sam Waley-Cohen and Long Run, they ran a very good race but just came up against the wrong horse on the wrong day. There's been a bit of criticism about Sam too which is completely unwarranted, people saying he's only an amateur and shouldn't be on the horse. He may be an amateur but he is a top jockey and his commitment cannot be questioned. That Gold Cup win has clouded a lot of peoples judgement of the horse. He's good but on that day a lot of things went in his favour. What seems to be catching him out now is the speed he jumps at, the top horses now jump at speed and land running, Long Run doesn't really do that and in the latter stages of the race it's catching him out when he goes up against the quality horses in the race. I've heard a few people say he should try and do a Denman and get up the front early and make the others work to catch him and it should give him a stronger chance, I think it's a decent shout.

Good win at the weekend for Barry Geraghty and Bob's Worth in the Hennessy. It's mad to think that Barry himself sold the horse at Tattersalls a few years back. Mad how the business works sometimes. Barry is in great form lately and to be fair the lad deserves it, he's up there with McCoy and Walsh but just doesn't get the rides the two lads do.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Horse Racing
      Reply #200: Dec 04, 2012 09:00:04 am
      Loved Bobs worth on the weekend, had that and ulck du lin (think everyone was on that) at nice prices. Cinders and Ashes disappointed me though, thought it would go in that ground and clearly didn't, cost me for a few quid. Fairyhouse was a good meeting for me on Sunday, had Our Connor, Jezki, Zaidpour but Dedigout let me down for a very nice touch.

With regards Long Run, I think it might help setting out to make all and completely take your point regarding jumping slowly, it's a definite flaw that Silviniaco Conti doesn't share, outstanding jumping from one with such little experience. The Gold Cup is actually shaping up into a very nice race, Flemenstar and Sir Des Champs both look massive threats from Ireland and Bobs Worth + Silviniaco Conti from the home brigade should make for a cracking spectacle. Must say I don't share Nicholls view about Tidal Bay, yes it was giving 6lb to Bobs Worth but it could of been receiving 6lb and the result wouldn't be any different in that race, the best horse won and would beat it every time (given a fair round of jumping).
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #201: Dec 04, 2012 02:43:15 pm
      Loved Bobs worth on the weekend, had that and ulck du lin (think everyone was on that) at nice prices. Cinders and Ashes disappointed me though, thought it would go in that ground and clearly didn't, cost me for a few quid. Fairyhouse was a good meeting for me on Sunday, had Our Connor, Jezki, Zaidpour but Dedigout let me down for a very nice touch.

With regards Long Run, I think it might help setting out to make all and completely take your point regarding jumping slowly, it's a definite flaw that Silviniaco Conti doesn't share, outstanding jumping from one with such little experience. The Gold Cup is actually shaping up into a very nice race, Flemenstar and Sir Des Champs both look massive threats from Ireland and Bobs Worth + Silviniaco Conti from the home brigade should make for a cracking spectacle. Must say I don't share Nicholls view about Tidal Bay, yes it was giving 6lb to Bobs Worth but it could of been receiving 6lb and the result wouldn't be any different in that race, the best horse won and would beat it every time (given a fair round of jumping).

I didn't back at the weekend, couldn't afford the losses. :f_tongueincheek:

Flemenstar and Sir Des Champs are going against each other on Sunday at Punchestown. It should be a great race seeing as there's only 1lb between them in the ratings. To be honest I'm a Flemenstar fan, I love the horse, he's big, strong, has a big stride and reminds me of the old chasers. His story alone draws parallels with Arkle for me.

The Gold Cup should be a great race, as you say it's looking like a quality field. I know there was some worrys that the loss of Kauto Star would mean a loss of the part time punters that back the name. But this year looks like it could be the strongest race yet. Completely agree about Tidal Bay, quality won out on the day and it's going to take an awful lot to change the result next time.

France Galop will make their announcement on Frankie Dettori tomorrow morning. Pretty much expecting a six month ban.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #202: Dec 05, 2012 02:21:12 pm
      Frankie Dettori has been given an worldwide six month ban today.

In his own statement he denied nothing so doubt he'll appeal. He said he's let the sport he loves down and most importantly his wife and kids. Reading between the lines it sounds like he's been caught with cocaine again.

Stupid thing for him to be at. He's one of the most recognisable faces in sport let alone racing and he brings this on himself. He just left Godolphin, trainers were going to be qeueing up to get him to ride their horses, now, not only is he missing the first part of the flat season he's lost some of his credibility. In '93 he was a young lad in London being offered drugs, he bowed to pressure, stupid but he's not the first or the last to do it. But now he should have more cop on.

He'll be back on May 19th and will be available to ride in the Oaks and the Derby.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #203: Dec 05, 2012 04:37:11 pm
      Frankie Dettori has been given an worldwide six month ban today.

In his own statement he denied nothing so doubt he'll appeal. He said he's let the sport he loves down and most importantly his wife and kids. Reading between the lines it sounds like he's been caught with cocaine again.

Stupid thing for him to be at. He's one of the most recognisable faces in sport let alone racing and he brings this on himself. He just left Godolphin, trainers were going to be qeueing up to get him to ride their horses, now, not only is he missing the first part of the flat season he's lost some of his credibility. In '93 he was a young lad in London being offered drugs, he bowed to pressure, stupid but he's not the first or the last to do it. But now he should have more cop on.

He'll be back on May 19th and will be available to ride in the Oaks and the Derby.

Certainly not what the sport needed, indefensible and that's the only thing he's got right was not to try and make an excuse. Will be interesting to see how many trainers book him when he comes back.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #204: Dec 05, 2012 08:15:48 pm
      Certainly not what the sport needed, indefensible and that's the only thing he's got right was not to try and make an excuse. Will be interesting to see how many trainers book him when he comes back.

I don't think he'll have too much of a problem getting rides. The issue with Fallon was that in general he just had such a bad attitude around yards, a lot of people didn't like him on a personal level, then when he got done he upset a lot more people on a professional level hence why he doesn't get the quality of horses his talent should warrant.

Personally I'm just disappointed in Frankie, he's an ambassador for the sport and the industry that most of us can only dream about, and this just seems so selfish. I think he is a genuine lad and is genuinely hurt by all f this. It's his own making and only he can turn it around. I would imagine Channel 4 will do everything they can to get him on as a pundit for their racing coverage during his ban. It would give Frankie a chance to put it to bed, get out and about and by the time May 19th comes around he should be well on his way to repairing any bridges he may be burning with his actions.

I hope he can turn it around and come out of this, the industry needs him to.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #205: Dec 15, 2012 09:54:00 am
      Cheltenham 2:30 Walkon and don't forget the Hillsborough Walkers today have a bet and donate #96
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #206: Jan 03, 2013 09:15:04 pm
      Frankie Dettori is on Celebrity Big Brother. Genuinely disappointed by that. He's out of racing at the moment for the wrong reasons, he shouldn't be parading around on telly pandering for the publics affection again.

Quick Reply