Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Wayne Bridge withdraws from england squad

Read 5273 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Wayne Bridge withdraws from england squad
      Feb 25, 2010 12:04:22 pm
      Bridge turns back on England
      City defender makes himself unavailable for selection

By Rob Parrish   Last updated: 25th February 2010 

Wayne Bridge has made himself unavailable for selection by England as he feels his position in the squad is 'untenable and potentially divisive'.

Bridge has found himself unwittingly thrust into the spotlight in recent weeks following allegations of an affair between his ex-girlfriend and former Chelsea team-mate John Terry.

Terry was stripped of the England captaincy as a result of the lurid claims with Fabio Capello keen to maintain squad unity ahead of the World Cup finals.

Bridge was expected to play a key role for his country this summer with first-choice left-back Ashley Cole a major doubt for the tournament due to a fractured ankle.

Bridge and Terry will face each other for the first time since the allegations emerged when City travel to Stamford Bridge in the Premier League on Saturday.

The duo were then expected to meet up again with the England squad as Capello's side tackle Egypt at Wembley in a friendly on Wednesday.

Untenable

But the full-back has now announced in a statement released by his lawyers that he no longer wishes to be considered for selection.

The statement read: "I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks.

"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

"Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection.

"I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa."

Attention will now turn to who will fill the left-back void for England, with Everton defender Leighton Baines and Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock the leading candidates.

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_5979800,00.html

I know a lot of liverpool fans dont give a toss about england but as a liverpool fan who does and im sure there is a lot who do I was just wondering what damage this could have on englands chances/moral ahead of the summer ???
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2010 12:11:23 pm by paulrobbo, Reason: Added news story »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from england squad
      Reply #1: Feb 25, 2010 12:12:47 pm
      Feel so sorry for him. I don't think Terry is going to go down well with the England fans at Wembley when they play Egypt.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #2: Feb 25, 2010 12:15:38 pm
      Feel so sorry for him. I don't think Terry is going to go down well with the England fans at Wembley when they play Egypt.

England fans don't need an excuse to boo anyone, just look at their treatment of John Barnes!!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #3: Feb 25, 2010 12:17:24 pm
      Yep mate feel for the lad,imagine the grief he,s going to get at chavski on saturday aswell.It always seems just before a world cup england can shoot themselves in the foot time and time again. :mad:
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #4: Feb 25, 2010 12:21:00 pm
      England fans don't need an excuse to boo anyone, just look at their treatment of John Barnes!!

Very true. Most of them are bitter lower league fans looking for a chance to see a team they support win, with some mancs and chavs dotted around.

I bet you Capello has another go at bringing Jamie back before it all kicks off in June.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #5: Feb 25, 2010 12:25:30 pm
      Very true. Most of them are bitter lower league fans looking for a chance to see a team they support win, with some mancs and chavs dotted around.

I bet you Capello has another go at bringing Jamie back before it all kicks off in June.
      Odds on that one.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #6: Feb 25, 2010 12:28:02 pm

well with the state of englands defence at the moment its not a bad idea to have a word with jamie......think he said he,s going to the world cup but only as a fan. :roll:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Feb 25, 2010 01:12:30 pm
      Funny how the innocent party in all of this is the one going to lose out on what he loves. Terry will go to the world cup probably with his armband back and his wife by his side. She continues to have a great life. Bridge on the other hand loses out on a chance to win a world cup medal and ironically he might have started most games if the other cheating c**t from Chelsea isnt fit by then!!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Feb 25, 2010 01:18:27 pm
      Thought he was going to be the bigger man and play for England.

Never mind.

Listening to TalkSport before though and there were a lot of people ringing in saying that Terry should be dropped. Firstly it was as if they were assuming that Bridge would make himself available again if Terry dropped out and secondly I think that would be foolish. Dropping Terry would cause further problems I feel.

Guess we'll be looking at call-ups for the likes of Warnock or Baines perhaps.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: Feb 25, 2010 01:34:35 pm
      Thanks John! Hope you're proud of yourself.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Feb 25, 2010 01:38:05 pm
      Bridge shouldn't have dropped himself. He'll regret it when he's older if England do well.

That's what he should be thinking.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #11: Feb 25, 2010 03:19:20 pm
      Wayne bridge should have rang John terry up and said to him,  "I am going to train hard, and earn my place on the plane to Sth Africa, and if you are on that plane I am going to smash your teeth in"
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #12: Feb 25, 2010 03:27:24 pm
      Bridge shouldn't have dropped himself. He'll regret it when he's older if England do well.

That's what he should be thinking.

Dead right - besides if Bridge smashes that tw*t about knee height on Saturday its problem solved.

Im sorry but Bridge you have let yourself down - face up to that f**ker and let him know you will NOT be beaten.

How he could have let that w**ker get the upper hand baffles me - grow some bollox man.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #13: Feb 25, 2010 04:10:18 pm
      Feel bad for the lad. Who here could play football and be captained by your ex best mate who was shagging your missus behind your back? I couldn't.

Actually to be honest Id probably have tried to break his leg in training, and then left.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Feb 25, 2010 04:19:04 pm
      I actually think Baines is a better player but I feel sorry for him.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #15: Feb 25, 2010 04:42:21 pm
      Looks like Baines or Warnock will fill his temp boots until Cashley returns.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Feb 25, 2010 06:22:48 pm
      Feel sorry for Wayne Bridge, your mate goes behind your back with your Mrs, then you have to drop out the England squad cos you cant face him. 

He's the innocent party in all of this while John Terry is hailed a hero.

Got the shitty end of the stick has our Wayne.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Feb 25, 2010 08:01:47 pm
      Bit arl arse that. He should have just stuck it out.

John Terry is a c*nt isn't he? It's okay though. We made him cry a couple of times. ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #18: Feb 25, 2010 08:13:58 pm
      I feel sorry for the guy, really do. And as a guy who has had my mate go behind my back and try pick up birds im with, i completely understand. And my mate has a girlfriend as well! I wasn't even as serious as Wayne seems to have been with his missus either, so it must be hard. I know some people in here are saying he shoulda just stuck it out, but i know how much it can cut you up inside. Everytime you see the face of the guy it fucks with your mind. It really can cause all sorts of problems, and potentially could really mess with the team. I say fair play to him for recognizing that it could have a negative affected the team in its quest for the cup. Feel sorry for him, really do. Hope Terry breaks a leg before the tournament, doesn't deserve to be there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Feb 25, 2010 08:18:20 pm
      Terry shags his bird and he has to pull out of the squad.

What a c**t, Terry is.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #20: Feb 25, 2010 08:23:36 pm
      Just because of the irresponsible behaviour of Terry, Bridge has lost his missus and his England place for something which he did nothing wrong.

He must feel so hurt, so angry. Imagine losing 2 of the things closest to you because of your best friend?

So sorry for Bridge.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #21: Feb 25, 2010 11:40:24 pm
      Looks like Baines or Warnock will fill his temp boots until Cashley returns.
      Milner is more likely.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Feb 25, 2010 11:45:57 pm
      Wayne Bridge should have held his head high and said to Terry, "Up yours mate, I'm not going to miss out on a chance like this. I've done nothing wrong, if anyone should step down it should be you"

But we all know Terry won't do that because he's a selfish two faced rat who only thinks about himself.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #23: Feb 25, 2010 11:49:55 pm
      Terry shags his bird and he has to pull out of the squad.

What a c**t, Terry is.

Tell me about it. He never pulled out of Bridge's bird did he?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #24: Feb 25, 2010 11:50:56 pm
      It was a nap this would happen. f***in sh*t though. Bridge should have went, and f***in broke Terry's legs in training. A big 'F**k you' to the c**t. But Terry will be smug as F**k right now won't he? Got his wife and kids and his place in the England squad. Cast off Wayne Bridge's ex-bird. And Bridge doesn't get the woman, the World Cup, or even probably the time with his kid that he craves.

She's more of a shitehawk than Terry, but I bet he predator-ed her ass.

What a f***in shitbag. I hope he skewers himself on Lampard's chin.

On the flip side. Bit sh*t Bridge at footie really isn't he? Bit of a nappyhead aswell.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Feb 25, 2010 11:52:48 pm
      Think it's a bit over the top to rule himself out. He shouldn't let Terry be the reason for not playing, especially for your country. If anyone pulls out it should be Terry.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #26: Feb 26, 2010 12:03:32 am

Sorry to sound thick but why did they boo Barnes?

Well he has.. He has been supported by his club and club team mates..

Wonder how Cashley is feeling, thinking he is being fined for ruing club image while Terry gets support.. strange one
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #27: Feb 26, 2010 12:20:28 am
      Think it's a bit over the top to rule himself out. He shouldn't let Terry be the reason for not playing, especially for your country. If anyone pulls out it should be Terry.

In more ways than one :f_whistle:

Same as I said before, I feel sorry for the guy that's he's had to do it. And i can understand why, I mean imagine if your best mate had shagged ya missus behind your back? We would all have different ways of dealing with it, but I dunno if I could play alongside the guy. I think Wayne could see Terry was not going to step down from the team, and decided to take action himself.

Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #28: Feb 26, 2010 12:28:24 am
      He should just kick his f***in head in.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #29: Feb 26, 2010 01:00:21 am
      Just reading what Bridge said.

terry should f***in pull out of that squad. If he wants to salvage any respect. England fans will boo him every time he touches the ball. The papers will see to it.

f***in shothole he is. He could have fu**ed any fit slapper he wants if he wanted to cheat on his wife. But he did that. What a f***in scumbag.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #30: Feb 26, 2010 02:58:38 am
      Just reading what Bridge said.

terry should f***in pull out of that squad. If he wants to salvage any respect. England fans will boo him every time he touches the ball. The papers will see to it.

F**kin shothole he is. He could have fu**ed any fit slapper he wants if he wanted to cheat on his wife. But he did that. What a f***in scumbag.

I agree had Terry any dignity and self respect he would have withdrawn himself.

Oh well he's toilet anyway I wonder how his back is after that Milito turn?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Feb 26, 2010 03:33:09 am
      Sorry to sound thick but why did they boo Barnes?

Racism, mainly.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #32: Feb 26, 2010 08:23:59 am
      Funny how the innocent party in all of this is the one going to lose out on what he loves.

With a fit Ashley Cole the only thing he would have missed out on would have been sitting on the bench.

It's easy to look all forlorn and proud when you can resign from a team that you probably wouldn't have got a look in.  I'm sure at some point the decision has come Capello's favour:

Terry or Bridge?

Obvious that Capello has decided to stick with Terry.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Feb 26, 2010 08:51:48 am
      With a fit Ashley Cole the only thing he would have missed out on would have been sitting on the bench.

It's easy to look all forlorn and proud when you can resign from a team that you probably wouldn't have got a look in.  I'm sure at some point the decision has come Capello's favour:

Terry or Bridge?

Yes but if Cole doesnt make it England now have the option of probably Baines and Warnock little experience there. Plus by all accounts Bridge is a very liked fella amongst the England squad. If 7/8 lads get the hump with Terry over Bridge pulling out of the squad it could do enough damage to team spirit to wreck any chance of wining the world cup
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #34: Feb 26, 2010 04:24:46 pm

Terry or Bridge?

That looks to be the way of it, Capello is reported as saying he will try to get Bridge to change his mind ???
      How would he react with his famous latin fury to his wife getting porked by a so called friend? and could he be persuaded to shake hands with the f**ker and have a game of footy with him?
      Hypocrit springs to mind.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #35: Feb 26, 2010 10:29:36 pm
      Imagine if sven was still in charge of england,who would he support?
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #36: Feb 26, 2010 10:41:27 pm
      my frikin brother (who is mad everton and im lfc  ;D ;D) is always talkin about "leighton baines" and how hes the best left back in the world....in my opinion, yeah right. abidal!!!!! INSUA!!!!
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #37: Feb 27, 2010 11:04:27 am
      Grow some balls mate, what happened to him was bad and everything, but he had the chance to potentially be a starter in a World Cup for a team that has a good shout of winning the thing. And he let's fathead Terry ruin that? Man up, and deal with the cheating c**t in training.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #38: Feb 28, 2010 06:35:02 pm
      He refused to shake hands with him....Terry must have been devastated.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #39: Feb 28, 2010 06:37:57 pm
      Hope Terry breaks his leg before the World Cup.

F***ing c**t!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #40: Feb 28, 2010 06:50:20 pm
      He refused to shake hands with him....Terry must have been devastated.

Loved that, Terry went to shake his hand and he totally blanked him and walked passed  ;D
      SteinFan
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #41: Feb 28, 2010 08:25:56 pm
      Dead right - besides if Bridge smashes that tw*t about knee height on Saturday its problem solved.

Im sorry but Bridge you have let yourself down - face up to that f**ker and let him know you will NOT be beaten.

How he could have let that w**ker get the upper hand baffles me - grow some bollox man.
      He DID show the bollox by NOT kicking in his teeth. And if he'd stayed in that England team like nothing had happened, he'd be a fuc*ing eunuch with, literally, NO bollox.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Feb 28, 2010 10:00:20 pm
      Hope Terry breaks his leg before the World Cup.

Would have been funny if Bridge clotheslined him instead of totally ignoring him. The whole would have seen what we all want to do.  ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #43: Feb 28, 2010 10:07:03 pm

Put yourself in that situation before you tell a man that is in that situation to grow some bollocks. You don't know what that could be like.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #44: Feb 28, 2010 10:36:57 pm
      Put yourself in that situation before you tell a man that is in that situation to grow some bollocks. You don't know what that could be like.

Agreed. He has to think about seeing his child don't forget. I think he showed great restraint yesterday, and has done all the way through this saga. johnterry's stuck his chin out and said 'I'm not gonna disappear because of this, I'm gonna make sure I make as much money out of it as possible'.

It's terry who needs to grow some balls. Someone should really see to terry, and I bet a few 'people' have asked Bridge.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Feb 28, 2010 10:42:11 pm
      Is right. I have had mates go behind my back just to try and get a girl I'm with, and it hurts. I can't imagine being team mates that close, having a kid with the girl, and THEN this happening. I'm sure he thought about it a lot, and he will be hurting.

Terry should be F***ing ashamed of himself. Disgrace he is.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #46: Feb 28, 2010 11:11:54 pm

Terry should be F***ing ashamed of himself. Disgrace he is.
      Ya know what mate he's that much of a pr**k he'll carry on like nothings happened cos in his mind it's normal acceptable behaviour and the only thing he is ashamed of is getting collared.

Quick Reply