Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Has violence and lack of morals gone too far in games

Read 5639 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Re: Has violence and lack of morals gone too far in games
      Reply #23: Jan 30, 2010 11:23:47 am
      Again, ill reiterate what I have said in the other thread you started on this subject. If someone plays this game, or any others that feature this, and think its okay to go out and shoot people because of it, then they are royally fu**ed in the head already and should have been put in a f**king whte jacket before hand anyways. There is some switch in the brain that has been fu**ed from birth if this game makes it acceptable for someone to do this. Simple as that. Think about the HUUUUUGE sales of this game, and the GTA series for example, and compare that to the instances where someone has used videogames as an excuse in court for their actions. Very very very small. These games are some of the biggest sellers EVER. And the instances of violence being actually attributed to these games is very small in comparison. And any people who have done anything bad because of these games, I again state, were f**king fu**ed already, absolutely royally fu**ed. And its no excuse. Think about the wild west? Did they have video games? No, yet they went out shooting people for fun all the time! Jack the ripper? No, he was just fu**ed in the head as well. Murder has been rife in society, and arguably more in the past than it is now, and they never had video games.

This argument is just a cop-out, simple. And I will defend that view very passionately, because I personally enjoy these games hugely and I hate it when people use them as an excuse for little johnny serial killer to get him a shorter sentence. If he/she killed someone, they were always a f**king maniac, the game didn't do that to them.
      the same point is being made here about it effecting people and its the large majority that it doesnt, but maybe it does, like a subtle programming in the back of your mind and you dont know about it, its a contributing factor for sure, society is messed up first, but check my other points about it all.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: Jan 30, 2010 11:28:13 am
      the same point is being made here about it effecting people and its the large majority that it doesnt, but maybe it does, like a subtle programming in the back of your mind and you dont know about it, its a contributing factor for sure, society is messed up first, but check my other points about it all.

Im not sure what you are driving at there to be honest. What i said was if it affects people, then they were already fu**ed and would have done something eventually regardless. Using video-games as an excuse is a cop-out, pure and simple.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #25: Jan 30, 2010 11:33:44 am
      I punched someone out when I lost at solitaire, maybe games do take it to far.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #26: Jan 30, 2010 11:38:42 am

A computer once beat me at chess, however it was no match for me at kick boxing :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #27: Jan 30, 2010 11:39:20 am

I actually went sweeping mines when i felt like doing a bit of spring cleaning.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #28: Jan 30, 2010 11:40:28 am
      I got ticked off at minesweeper so I burned my computer down and pissed on the ashes.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #29: Jan 30, 2010 10:58:46 pm
      A computer once beat me at chess, however it was no match for me at kick boxing :)
      ;D....Nice One..... :lmao:

Watchout though, those Asian computers have good Jiu-Jitsu and a mean ground game.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #30: Jan 31, 2010 03:36:55 am
      Ive been playing computer games since the 70's, im probably more qualified than all of you when talking about computer games is concerned, and ive played them all since pong, spacies, doom, quake, call of duty, The shooty games are always you against evil, you always take the morally high ground, but this new game and GTA, you take the dark side, it becomes acceptable, in essense to do the things you shouldnt.

So killing people is okay when you're on the "good" side, but classed as violent and lacking morals when you're on the "bad" side.

What size is that straitjacket you're wearing mate? I'm going to send you a couple more.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #31: Jan 31, 2010 04:37:11 am
      Taking 'the dark side' isn't a new thing either. Even the GTA series has existed for 13 years now. And there's been plenty of other gangster or mafia related games out too over time. Not to mention 'Carmageddon' back in the day. I remember playing a game called 'Syndicate' in the early 90's in which I had to assasinate people, later in the 90's a game called 'Gangsters' or the first 'Fallout' game in which you could take drugs and killl innocent people. Or maybe a more known example would be 'Hitman' from around 2000. And that's just from the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing plenty. It's hardly a new phenomenon. And you're not even 'taking the dark side' in the new Call of Duty in that scene, you're undercover. It's all really no different than watching a gangster movie like 'The Godfather' or 'Scarface' or even 'Snatch'.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2010 04:43:29 am by Dexter »
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #32: Jan 31, 2010 07:30:48 pm
      So killing people is okay when you're on the "good" side, but classed as violent and lacking morals when you're on the "bad" side.

What size is that straitjacket you're wearing mate? I'm going to send you a couple more.
      its the morality factor, dont you see it!
      There is a reason, its like all of those war films when the Germans are gunned down , We were defending our freedom against them, if we didtn then we would all be in a fascist state now......oh we nearly are anyway.

in this game, we are not defending ourselves agains hords of baddies trying to fight back, we are indescriminatly gunning down innocents, same in Grand theft auto, unless you take the moral high ground and go against those who are trying to kill you, then it has some meaning.
      Taking 'the dark side' isn't a new thing either. Even the GTA series has existed for 13 years now. And there's been plenty of other gangster or mafia related games out too over time. Not to mention 'Carmageddon' back in the day. I remember playing a game called 'Syndicate' in the early 90's in which I had to assasinate people, later in the 90's a game called 'Gangsters' or the first 'Fallout' game in which you could take drugs and killl innocent people. Or maybe a more known example would be 'Hitman' from around 2000. And that's just from the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing plenty. It's hardly a new phenomenon. And you're not even 'taking the dark side' in the new Call of Duty in that scene, you're undercover. It's all really no different than watching a gangster movie like 'The Godfather' or 'Scarface' or even 'Snatch'.
      i believe there was one called postal too, but im not sick enough to play that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Jan 31, 2010 08:57:44 pm
      its the morality factor, dont you see it!
      There is a reason, its like all of those war films when the Germans are gunned down , We were defending our freedom against them, if we didtn then we would all be in a fascist state now......oh we nearly are anyway.

in this game, we are not defending ourselves agains hords of baddies trying to fight back, we are indescriminatly gunning down innocents, same in Grand theft auto, unless you take the moral high ground and go against those who are trying to kill you, then it has some meaning.
       i believe there was one called postal too, but im not sick enough to play that.

If while partaking in a hobby, whether it is reading, watching films or playing video games, you yourself struggle to see the line between fictional & real life, then I suggest you book your self into the nearest sanatorium as you may have a slight mental problem.  It pre-existed BEFORE you partook in your hobby, but now you've realized this, seek medical attention.

As for the debate as to which is more immersive, for me it's reading books and though I've read some strange fiction, I realized it was fiction.  We CAN'T have our lives dictated to us because a minority of people may be, technically speaking, doolally.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Jan 31, 2010 09:21:38 pm
      To be honest I hope they have a similar terrorist organisation going through the Houses of Parliament blowing all the M.P's away on the next game, that will be fun. ;D

And what about them poor Naxi zombies on World at War they wernt harming anyone they just wanted "Brainsssssssssssssssssss ss"
      robbyr
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #35: Jan 31, 2010 09:51:18 pm
      If you people continue to want your morals to be compromised by the entertainment industry then I pitty for you all , and fear for the future of this country, maybe with age you will all see the error of your ways of thinking.

as far as my sanity is concerned, I would define sanity as something which is the opposite of insanity, and instanity is the anarchy of destruction which is simulated in these games.

Whether real or not, the ideas visited by these games are corrupt, we all know they are just pixels, but they are damn realistic pixels, that project an idea that is corrupt. Ideas are powerful things, ie every religious writing is an idea, and yet it changes peoples way of thinking, acting and their lives in general.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2010 10:09:56 pm by robbyr »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Jan 31, 2010 10:02:05 pm
      If you people continue to want your morals to be compromised by the entertainment industry then I pitty for you all , and fear for the future of this country, maybe with age you will all see the error of your ways of thinking.

as far as my sanity is concerned, I would define sanity as something which is the opposite of insanity, and instanity is the anarchy of destruction which is simulated in these games.

Well ill let you stay up on your moral high horse and think you are right and that we are all idiots for thinking otherwise. I think the fact you are letting games be an excuse for people is sicker than the games, because its just another way for people who should be locked up for life to get a reduced sentence.

My morals have not been compromised. Opposite actually, the games like GTA have given a lot of insight into that kind of world in which i do NOT want to be a part of. Doesn't mean i don't enjoy blowing away an old lady on the game. But guess what? All it is is a bunch of F***ing pixels. Again, if someone can't distinguish that from real life, they are already fu**ed.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Jan 31, 2010 10:26:20 pm
      I'm not bothered at the end of the day, when I turn the power of the ps3 and step away from the TV, I'm a 31 year old loving father of an 8 year old boy and thats all that matters to me, what others choose to do with their lives is up to them I couldn't give a fook, I'm happy and I've made my own happiness :)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #38: Mar 04, 2010 11:16:32 pm
      I think if someone playing a game then goes into real life and murders, then he is sick to begin with.  The thought and the actions must already be present in the brain. Just as someone who plays the game then goes to bed and doesn't think about killing is normal.

I dont think that young kids should play these games because it can register in their formative years that violence is ok. But at very young ages these children are just beginning to understand right and wrong. If they base their mental faculties and formulative actions on pure violence than thats what the can project outwards.  Its the same as a child of 7-10 years old who sees his dad beat his mom.  He grows up thinking its ok.  I would never let my kid play GTA or Modern Warfare.  As adults we know and can distinctly separate fiction from reality.

It comes down to the home,parents,school and the adults in that childs life. They need role models who are good people. Plus, young kids should be outside playing to begin with. Whether its sports or just hanging with friends, riding bikes and skateboarding. Kids need to be kids.  They need to experience life away from TV,Movies and games.  We need to stop scapegoating and laying blame for the inabilities of parents to properly raise a child. Take responsibility and teach your kids what is right. Their are still things such as honor,respect,sympathy and empathy.

Nowadays people dont hold doors open for others, or say excuse me if you accidentally bump into someone. I know people who lived in a house for 15 years and dont even know the name of their neighbors.  People look the other way when someone is in trouble because they dont want to get involved.  I made that mistake once at a job.  I saw a customer with a young child about 6-7 years old. His old man carried a belt in his hand, in public and would wack the kid if he was misbehaving.  I actually saw this happen and didn't say anything for fear of losing my job if I confronted him.  I found out that 6 months later the kid was hospitalized because the man beat him unconscious.  I wont ever let that happen again.

Quick Reply