Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Carra holds off contract talks

Read 6619 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Carra holds off contract talks
      Mar 07, 2010 01:54:22 am
      Jamie Carragher has stalled on negotiations over an extension of his current Liverpool deal, despite many of his team mates committing their long-term futures to the club.

Mainstay players such as Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt have all penned new deals to remain at Anfield with Pepe Reina and Javier Mascherano also set to add their names to that list.

The versatile 32-year-old, however, is refusing to decide his future until he knows whether or not he will remain an automatic choice for Rafael Benitez's starting line-up next season.

In an interview with the Sunday Times, Carragher stated that he would prefer to end his career elsewhere rather than being a fringe player in Liverpool's ranks.

He said: “It’s up to the club, isn’t it? I play my football and I’ve got 12 months left in the summer.

“The club will give me a new contract if they want to. If not it doesn’t matter, I’ll still play my best and if I have to move then I’ll move, no problem. It wouldn’t bother me.

“[Leaving] wouldn’t bother me. I made the England decision [to retire from international football] quickly and didn’t dwell on it, and I’m not scared of making big decisions.

"It’s a club thing. It’s down to them. I’ll keep playing and see where it takes me.”

Carragher, an Anfield veteran of 14 years, has one year remaining on his current deal but Benitez has insisted that contract offers for the vice-captain would not be restricted by his age.

He said: “There is no news about Carragher. We have spoken to him and he was very clear that at this moment he just wants to concentrate on doing his job.

“When you are considering contracts for players who are over 30 it is not the same as when you are talking to players who are 25.

"With Carra we have to see. He is fit and he is doing well and we will see. We don’t have a club rule about players over 30, but it does depend on the individual.

“I think Jamie prefers the situation as it is. The information I have is that he is comfortable with how things are and that he wants to wait.”

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/128273-jamie-carragher-puts-liverpool-fc-contracts-talks-on-hold.html

Quite possibly on his way? Hmmm.
      « Last Edit: Mar 09, 2010 06:01:11 pm by JD »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Carra holds off contract talks
      Reply #1: Mar 07, 2010 01:57:44 am
      Hes playing his own way out of the starting eleven. Noone to blame but himself Im afraid. Still think he should stick around though. He'd still see alot of games with all the injuries we get.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Mar 07, 2010 01:57:53 am
      “[Leaving] wouldn’t bother me. I made the England decision [to retire from international football] quickly and didn’t dwell on it, and I’m not scared of making big decisions.

Quite surprised he said that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #3: Mar 07, 2010 02:00:28 am
      Wouldn't it just be sensible and best for both parties to offer him a one year deal then to keep him until 2012.

That way if he does lose his place in the side during the 2010/11 season, he'll move on the following season while still under contract rather than a free like some ex players. And if he keeps his place next season, he's still got another year on his current deal to maybe earn another contract extension.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #4: Mar 07, 2010 02:17:16 am
      To be honest I find this quite a strange situation and I am not sure I understand what cara wants.  He says he would sooner finish his career elsewhere rather than be a fringe player at Liverpool, so he shall wait and see.
      What will waiting achieve?    If he finishes the season off well and signs for another year and then performs badly next season there is no guarantee he will be in the starting 11. Surely he is not going to get a contract that says  "starting 11 player" 

I would like him to stay on even as a fringe player, because "one club players" are so rare in this day and age and I would hate to see him struggling thru a relegation battle with some battling club as a finale to his career.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #5: Mar 07, 2010 02:22:44 am
      Sometimes, I feel our supporters especially those in forums don't appreciate the contribution to the club. He might have lost his pace but his leadership and commitment can never be questioned. I strongly fell that he should be treated and respected more than gerrard after what he have done for the club.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 07, 2010 04:53:20 am
      football is a business really and players at his age  its year by year hasnt had a really good season he must know this
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: Mar 07, 2010 06:46:18 am
      Hes playing his own way out of the starting eleven. Noone to blame but himself Im afraid. Still think he should stick around though. He'd still see alot of games with all the injuries we get.

Agree with that.

Reminded me of when Sami left because he didn't think he'd get enough games, then we had loads of injuries piling up and he would have had lots of starts.

I have massive respect for Carra, but surely he realises that part of being in a top side means that selection is based mainly on a player's form. If you don't play well for a certain period, you'll be replaced by someone else, even if just temporarily.

He's taking a bold stance at 32, and I'm sorry to say I don't see him staying at the peak of his form as long as Sami did - it's exceptional to see a player still keeping their fitness so high at 35/36, given the pace of the Premier League.

I'd like, no, love him to stay, but I think he's being unreasonable.

All the best to him, stay or go, he'll always be an Anfield legend.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Mar 07, 2010 07:02:37 am
      Wouldn't it just be sensible and best for both parties to offer him a one year deal then to keep him until 2012.

That way if he does lose his place in the side during the 2010/11 season, he'll move on the following season while still under contract rather than a free like some ex players. And if he keeps his place next season, he's still got another year on his current deal to maybe earn another contract extension.
      The way I see it the club would be doing Carra a favour if they were to let him go for free,by doing that Carra would be able to negotiate a signing on fee as well as better wages if he was to cost the buying club zero.I think the club did the same for Didi and Sami.It is pretty much normal practise for a long serving player to be allowed to leave for free.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: Mar 07, 2010 07:27:49 am
      Don't think Carra owes  us anything. He's been a great servant to the club and is a true Liverpool legend.

If and when it's time for him to leave, thank you Jamie!
      redcraig
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: Mar 07, 2010 11:12:37 am
      Any player at any club has to be strong when conducting contract negotiations particularly when this is likely to be Carra's most important contract to date now that he is 32. He has to start thinking about his family and life after football so this contract has to be spot on for him.
      That is why he is saying things like he wouldn't be bothered if he had to move on. If he showed any weakness at all he would not receive the contract he wants.
      Everyone knows Carra will be at Anfield for a long time yet and that it would break his heart to move on. So don't read anything into what he is saying, he is only setting himself up for the most important contract negotiation of his life. Nothing else.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2010 11:15:09 am
      I'm very surprised with this issue but I don't think you can blame him.

At that age and playing for a club like Liverpool can be really hectic, especially when everyone is looking at the local lad to turn things when the mood is down.

I do hope he stays but if he goes, he'll always be a legend.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2010 11:27:01 am
      Do what's best for you Carra, you've spent long enough doing what's best for LFC. 

All I ask in return is if you do leave us to extend your playing career you remember to come back to us for your coaching career.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Mar 07, 2010 12:04:36 pm
      He doesn't owe the club anything, if he does decide to leave.

Can't see him staying, tbh. He's not playing well enough to be first choice.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #14: Mar 07, 2010 12:09:25 pm
      It will be a BIG mistake if we don't offer a new contract to Carra. I may not want him to start every single match but we need experienced players in our squad whose experience could come handy in the final rounds of the competitions we take part in. We have already lost Sami and Xabi. Losing Carra would just be criminal now, after seeing the effect it had in our squad.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #15: Mar 07, 2010 12:29:55 pm
      If he still wants to be a regular in the team at this age,its time he follows in the steps of Hyypia.I don't want to see him starting regularly for us from next season especially with Kelly also ready to stake his claim in the starting line-up.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #16: Mar 07, 2010 12:30:40 pm
      Got the up most respect for Carra and everything he has done for this club but imo he's not good enough to be a starter for us anymore. Wouldn't mind seeing him now and again in the side but as a starter he's not good enough.

If we did decide to sell him I think that Danish lad at Palermo would be a decent enough replacement. He wants to play for this club and is still only 20. With the addition of him to the squad the CB positions are pretty much sorted for the next 5 or so years with Agger and Skrtel still at a young age and Ayala on the verge of breaking into the squad.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #17: Mar 07, 2010 12:51:59 pm
      As much as i want him to stay i won't be surprised if he did leave. With Agger and Skrtel and youngsters making the step up he will end up playing fewer and fewer games.

Will always be a legend though and we will always be grateful for everything he has done for the club but that goes without saying really.

He has to come back to manage us one day though. 
      Murph
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | 17 
      Reply #18: Mar 07, 2010 01:40:23 pm
      This has gone into meltdown on Rattle, murder I tell yer
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Mar 07, 2010 02:01:34 pm
      Nice one, right before our next game.

It really does look likely that he'll be off doesn't it. He's probably fed up of playing right-back etc, and it's evident his performances have gone downhill bar a few notable matches.

Going to be really interesting to see where he ends up.

Guess Skrtel and Agger will be first choice now unless we bring somebody else in as a direct replacement.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #20: Mar 07, 2010 02:09:55 pm
      A bit more from an interview he gave in the times.

Jamie Carragher: "I'm not scared to leave Anfield"

Mark Chester, of Liverpool’s Tactics 4 Families project, is picking his ideal XI for a classroom of 10-year-olds. Defenders? Easy. You can’t beat Jamie Carragher. In fact, imagine a back four where every player is as indomitable as Anfield’s No 23. Strikers? Chester wants players who would chase down every half-chance. How about two more Carraghers? Delight flashes across faces as kids realise Chester is selecting what Liverpool fans sing they dream about, a “Team of Carraghers”. “Brilliant team,” shouts one boy. “A very brilliant team,” concurs another. A third lad’s opinion: “Very, very, very bad.” Carragher is actually present, having come to Northway Primary School to help the lesson, but his critic is unabashed. This is Merseyside, where having an opinion and defending it stridently is virtually a civic duty.

The lad supports Everton.

The moment delights Citizen Carra. He couldn’t love what he calls “Liverpool life” more. He has two children himself, James, seven, who’s “totally into his football”, and Mia, five, “a character and a half who loves singing and dancing and X Factor”. In summary: “They’re not shy. They’re Liverpool kids.” He reflects how he hardly gets to see his mates any more but “my kids are my mates now really”. He’s “desperate” to take James and Mia to Chill Factor, an indoor ski centre in Manchester which the pair fixate about, but football’s relentless schedule makes it difficult. Carra laughs.

“Footballers are privileged but people look at the money we earn and the cars some drive and think we don’t do normal stuff, like we have servants to look after our babies or something . . . I’m up at half seven every morning, getting the kids ready for school, making sure they’re brushing their teeth, getting their breakfast, taking them to school. That’s the same as anyone really.”

His workplace just happens to be special. He has been Liverpool’s company man since signing ‘S’ forms 18 years ago, making 611 appearances, and a record 120 in Europe. If a Team of Carraghers is the Kop’s dream, a side without him is its nightmare. Yet Rafa Benitez says, because of age, Carragher will not be considered for a contract extension until this summer, when his current deal will be a year from expiry. Carragher only turned 32 five weeks ago, has enough juice in his legs to have started the most games of any Liverpool player this season, and none give Benitez greater service.

It is even harder imagining Carragher in another club’s shirt than Steven Gerrard. But Carragher’s outlook is as no-nonsense as his defending. He’s not going to become an old lag clinging to the red shirt or coasting as a squad player if Liverpool prove lukewarm about his future usefulness, and would consider other playing options, including abroad, provided a move suited his kids.

Benitez says: “With Carra we will have to see.”

“I’ve no problem with that. That’s up to the club. I play my football and I’ve got 12 months left in the summer. The club will give me a new contract if they want to, if not it doesn’t matter, I’ll still play my best and if I have to move I’ll move, no problem. It wouldn’t bother me,” Carragher says. “I made the England decision [to retire] very quickly. I’m not scared of making big decisions.”

His club still need him, on recent evidence. Carragher has been at his cussed best as Liverpool (one league defeat in 10 games) finally have turned their campaign round. “I’ve come through this season well because at the start it was ‘Jamie Carragher’s finished’. The whole team was struggling and probably myself, Mascherano, Stevie, since we’re classed as the spine of the team, we were getting the criticism. And people jumped on me because of my age. I had a bad first half at West Ham, a really poor game, but I’d have one of them every season. Then Drogba got the better of me for a goal in the 90th minute against Chelsea when I’d played well for the other 89. I had to get on with it. It sort of became me against the world and I don’t mean I was sitting at home crying, I was going into training every day to prove to everyone I’ve still got a career.

“I’ve always thought footballers who say they’ve nothing to prove are talking rubbish. Every day on the training pitch you have got to prove you’re better than the competition. I’m not finished and the performance I gave against Rooney, best striker in the world, the performances versus Everton, Villa away, Tottenham, big games . . . I was there.” Being “there”, on the field, is all-important.

He once had a collapsed lung and was back playing — wheezing and grimacing — three weeks later. This season he has ignored a twisted ankle and strained groin to turn out during difficult times. “I’m proud of the fact that . . . ” He chooses his words carefully. “ . . . well, I’ve played with lots of players like this and when it’s not going well it’s easy to get out of the firing line, pick up a suspension on purpose, get a little nick, stay out for two or three weeks.

“I was always there, I’m maybe too honest at times, always there to be shot at. But I don’t feel you’ve got to be 100% fit to play. I’ve got to be 100% injured not to play. And the reason is simple: I’m terrified of losing my place.” Liverpool also have status fears. The race for fourth spot is “going to the wire”, says Carragher. “Manchester City’s win at Chelsea was a big one but you don’t know if it’ll galvanise them or prove a freak result. Tottenham are the ones I’m wary of. They keep a lot of clean sheets and score goals and have fantasy players. But, when it gets to the wire, there’s games you need to win 1-0 and over the past month Liverpool have been probably one of the best teams in Europe at grinding a result out.

“That’s what we’re doing, grinding. We’ve come back through fight, desire to do well, and we could never be accused of lacking that. But we’re still not playing fantastic football, we’re not good enough to.”

In March 2009, Liverpool thrashed Manchester United, Real Madrid and Aston Villa. Why does March 2010 find the club in such a different place? “What’s gone wrong? I think about it all the time. I don’t think we’re as bad as we’ve been this season. This has been us at our worst, and last season was us at our best. The ‘real’ us is probably somewhere in the middle.”

Pundits reckon finishing outside the Champions League places would be a “disaster” for Liverpool. “Nahh!” Carragher snorts. “People talk as if we’ve finished top four every year. We haven’t. Under Houllier and in Rafa’s first season we didn’t manage it. Liverpool FC will always be there. The top clubs will always regroup. If we finish fifth or sixth I know people say this player or that player will go . . . well if they do, somebody else will come in. Good players will always play for Liverpool. This club doesn’t depend on one player or individuals, it’s a top club, always will be.”

And, for Carragher, being a top club means you chase opportunities in all competitions to finish first rather than obsess about being fourth in one. Thursday’s Europa League clash with Lille is as big as tomorrow’s Premier League game against Wigan. “I don’t understand why people rubbish the Europa League. There are only two European trophies up for grabs every year. I mean, if you asked would I rather get in the semi-finals of the Champions League or win the Europa League I’d rather win the Europa. At the end of my career I could say, ‘I won that’. We got to the Champions League final in 2007, brilliant, but what did it mean in the end?

“People ask would you rather win the Europa Cup or finish top four? Well sometimes I think, ‘Win the cup’. I always hear Leeds got to the semi-final of the Champions League in 2001. So what? Newcastle had a good run. So what? It’s about winning trophies. The only way to make this season positive is by achieving both targets, finish top four and win the Europa League. Even if we do, next season we need to move on.” How? “The squad is capable of producing better and we probably need two or three players who will go into the team and make an impact every week and three or four more to beef up the squad. We probably need six or seven signings.”

Tactics 4 Families teaches family behaviour using football metaphors. Your “family” is your “team”, whether it’s a traditional unit or involves a single parent or other carers, and members must work together. It’s an especially significant message in areas of Liverpool where social breakdown is high. “My parents split up when I was 10 but it wasn’t one of them where you never saw a parent. I saw my dad every day. I was upset but we moved on and I have a great relationship with my mum and dad,” he says. “My heart goes out to kids who are not so lucky. I’m from Bootle and stuff goes on there with families that makes me realise I’m lucky.”

Family life is the factor that, post-playing, might stop him making what seems a natural progression into coaching. “I don’t like the idea of moving my kids out of school. I would for a playing thing, because that’s my career and how we make our money as a family, but managers can be out of a job in two or three months,” he says. He’s about to do his ‘A’ coaching licence. “It’s like being back at school! The thought of coming up with a new session every day, writing it down, all that stuff . . . I’m not the most academic of people. I’d be a manager rather than a coach.” He smiles. “I think I’m a pretty strong character who’d make decisions.”

Liverpool, if they vacillate over keeping him, should not doubt that.

• Tactics 4 Families, backed by the Premier League’s Creating Chances Programme, is a Liverpool FC project aimed at supporting positive family relationships.

GROWING PAINS

Carragher has followed the debate, prompted by the John Terry scandal, on whether footballers should be role models. ‘We have become like movie or pop stars and can easily be on the front pages as well as the back pages. We are role models and get a lot of attention, so people have a right to expect us to do the right things,’ he says.

‘But we’re only human. One minute you’re on a YTS contract, the next you’re on thousands of pounds a week. You go out for a drink, buy a fast car and end up in situations you shouldn’t. But then you’ve got to grow up.’

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article7052445.ece
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2010 02:15:33 pm by LFC_Stuart_1988 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #21: Mar 07, 2010 02:19:39 pm
      Jamie must realise that at this point his better days are behind him and realistically cannot expect to be first choice in the scheme of things.
      The length of any contract is also a reflection of his maturing years, maybe stalling is a panic reaction to the implications of the shorter contract deal. Whatever is going on there's no way Jamie Carragher will be treated with anything but the greatest respect by LFC and it's supporters.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #22: Mar 07, 2010 04:06:59 pm
      Jamie must realise that at this point his better days are behind him and realistically cannot expect to be first choice in the scheme of things.
      The length of any contract is also a reflection of his maturing years, maybe stalling is a panic reaction to the implications of the shorter contract deal. Whatever is going on there's no way Jamie Carragher will be treated with anything but the greatest respect by LFC and it's supporters.

Yes.

He is still very relevant in the defence line-up; but a guaranteed start is IMO asking for too much.

Is it me, or is Carragher, right now, a better RB than a CB?
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #23: Mar 07, 2010 04:33:03 pm
      I think Carra is right to say what he said. Anybody capable of still playing over 30 would be wanting to be getting the most out of their career, not sitting on the bench. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa let him go as I think he's been struggling to keep up with the pace of games but that's nothing to do with not being fit, that just comes with age.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 346 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #24: Mar 07, 2010 04:40:04 pm
      I think Carra is right to say what he said. Anybody capable of still playing over 30 would be wanting to be getting the most out of their career, not sitting on the bench. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa let him go as I think he's been struggling to keep up with the pace of games but that's nothing to do with not being fit, that just comes with age.

Good point. One of the fittest at the club from what I've heard.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #25: Mar 07, 2010 07:14:35 pm

Just you! Hehe. Really don't rate him at right back at all.

He has to start thinking about his family and life after football so this contract has to be spot on for him.
      That is why he is saying things like he wouldn't be bothered if he had to move on. If he showed any weakness at all he would not receive the contract he wants.

I hate that rubbish. Other players have done it, Terry did it big time, Gerrard did it. But it would really take Carra down a few notches in my eyes if that was what he was doing. Jeopardising the cohesion of the club for a few extra quid. The ugly side of football.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Mar 07, 2010 07:46:38 pm
      I'm slightly confused by some people's reaction on the matter, people are posting as if he has a transfer going through at the end of the season or confirmed he will be leaving at the end of next season. Yes he has had a bad season and i think if he carries on the way he is going then he will see himself dropped to the bench sooner rather than later but lets not forget next season is going to be totally different for every single player, like it always is. This season the whole team bar 1 or 2 players have been well off key and have walked on thin ice where there place in the team is concerned and i must admit i didn't think that if we had a bad season then Carra would have been one of the players on thin ice. But next season he could be back to his best and if that's the case then i see no reason why Rafa wouldn't give him a new contract because he done the same with Hyypia, the same situation where he was approaching his last year of contract and looking as though it would be his last but he had a really good season and ended up staying for another year.

But Carragher needs to realise he isn't certain of a first team place now because of his age compared to the other defenders (apart from Sotis) so he has to be playing at his best week in week out as he gets older.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #27: Mar 07, 2010 08:20:34 pm
      Great Servant to the club..

Dont get me wrong but his best days are over. Maybe Rafa is too scared to drop him? and by leaving Anfield may strenghen the morale at Anfield? The Arbeloa situation at West Brom was disgusting for any Liverpool fan to see, it was just so wrong. There were rumours that since that incident the squad had bit of split which maybe the reason why we have had a poor campaign?

Who knows.. but we as fans judge a player from what we see on the pitch.. Carra will surely be on th Anfield hall of fame, a legend here. But time to move on an let Liverpool form a partnership at the back for the future..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Mar 07, 2010 08:24:50 pm
      The Arbeloa situation at West Brom was disgusting for any Liverpool fan to see, it was just so wrong. There were rumours that since that incident the squad had bit of split which maybe the reason why we have had a poor campaign?

I disagree, yes it's not good to see the players like that but Carra was just showing through his passion and intent to keep a clean sheet, which he has already stated. Arbeloa made a mistake and Carragher was putting him in his place, Arbeloa was also putting in better performances after that IMO. I can't see in the slightest way how that is a result for this seasons form,if it was going to have a negative effect on the team then it would have happened last season when we were going all out to catch United. Also Arbeloa has left so there is no reason why there would be a split from that now.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #29: Mar 07, 2010 08:40:47 pm
      I think some people have majorly overreacted to Carragher's form this season.
      I think he had a bad start, as did the rest of the team and he's had some moments that have stuck out and made people question his ability due to age.

How's Gerrard played this season? Not great atall. He scores goals in important games but i think he's been at fault as much as/maybe more than Carra. When Gerrard is missing for 90 minutes, the team don't play well which can cost us points and has done on a few occasions this season. But when Carra makes a mistake at the back, it can lead to a goal which is pointed out by fans and media.

He's not too old to continue playing at a high standard, and once he gets on a good run of games and regains some confidence I'm sure people will look back and laugh at how they were saying his time was up at Anfield.

Plus, taking him out the club would be removing a key member of the team. He's a huge presence at the club and the team would certainly feel the effects of removing his voice from the ranks.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,963 posts | 5019 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Mar 07, 2010 08:55:15 pm
      Whatever Carra decides we all have to respect his decision, He has given 15yrs of his life to this club and you can count the games he has'nt given 100% in one hand, His commitment has been second to none and is a true inspiration to all potential and  aspiring youngsters, It is almost the end of an era for LFC where yet another true legend is contemplating his future, We have seen it all before with the likes of messers, Lindsay, Yates, Smith, Hughes, Thompson,,St john, Callaghan,Hansen, Dalglish, Rush Barnes, Fowler, Shankly, Paisley Et al, Jaimie is going to join these band of brothers sooner or later and he should go with our blessing, He has said himself that if he feels he can no longer give everything he has for the club, the fans and most importantly himself then he would rather leave, Its not that he does'nt want to play its his pride and the love he has for LFC that will ultimately decide his fate, It will be the end of an era, But the foundations of a new one will have begun and he will be back at the new Anfield as our manager, Where we can once again worship our hero, We should all thank Carra for what he has given us over the years and enjoy the Autumn of his carreer and just hope we see as much of him as possible.   Jamie Carragher, I salute you sir.   YNWA.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #31: Mar 07, 2010 10:30:12 pm
      As I read this statement properly it appears to me that Carra is brutally aware that his status of first name on the team sheet may be in jeopardy for the first time in his career,Carra is ,as he would probably agree, not the calibre of player he was a couple of years ago ,still very good ! but not as good ,his love and passion of Liverpool goes without question and he is a true anfield legend in my eyes and will always be regarded as such. whatever Jamie decides ,and i hope he stays with us , good luck and YNWA CARRA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #32: Mar 08, 2010 12:06:25 am
      Has he played himself out of contention ? Would Agger, Skrtle or Sotis have been able to play at R back if Carra was also injured?  I think not, and as the others have settled well after a dodgy start to the season by our  C backs, Will Carra be able to oust them when Jonsone is back  at R back.  hhhhmmmmm, food for thought. He's deffo gonna want to know if he's in with a fair shout. 4 into 2 don't go.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #33: Mar 08, 2010 12:14:21 am
      I hate fergie  but how the f**k does he keep hold of players like scholes and giggs
      and keep them happy without playing every game. We have lost a legend last season
      in hyphia and we seem to be losing carra soon.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #34: Mar 08, 2010 12:15:20 am
      Would Agger, Skrtel, or Sotis be able to play at R.B. if Carra was injured as well ?  I don't think so. As our C backs were all at sea at the start of the season, and have now settled, will Carra get in after Johnson returns at R back.
      Could be waiting for an injury there. He probably just wants re assuring has has a fair chance of a regular spot before he comits. Makes sense at his age but seems like he could have played himself out of contention as was said earlier, and knows it. Still a Liverpool great and I'm forever gratefull he is a Red.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Mar 08, 2010 04:15:08 am
      He called Rooney the best striker in the world!

Sell him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Mar 08, 2010 07:10:47 am
      As I read this statement properly it appears to me that Carra is brutally aware that his status of first name on the team sheet may be in jeopardy for the first time in his career,Carra is ,as he would probably agree, not the calibre of player he was a couple of years ago ,still very good ! but not as good ,his love and passion of Liverpool goes without question and he is a true anfield legend in my eyes and will always be regarded as such. whatever Jamie decides ,and I hope he stays with us , good luck and YNWA CARRA

I do not agree that Carra feels his place as first choice is in jeopardy for the first time,think back to when Houllier was here and it seemed every season Houllier brought someone in and it was Carra who had to move position and re-establish himself in the team.Also it did not matter where he got moved to he always did it successfully.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010 07:19:57 am by crouchinho »
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #37: Mar 08, 2010 07:16:06 am
      Chill guys, he isn't leaving the club tomorrow! :D
      Not a good season for him, but Rafa will keep him as a back-up defender. I find it hard to believe that Rafa may sell him. If he wants to go, that's another thing. His wish.
      If he does want to leave to get some regular football, well and good for him. He is well entitled to think about his career and nobody can call him selfish for it, seeing his devotion to the club for so long.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #38: Mar 08, 2010 07:33:21 am
      Carra has stated in his book that he will never settle for bench. He is looking for assurances from Rafa and we know the boss gives no one any assurances on the number of games they are going to play or if they are going to be first choice.

Should be interesting. In the end i think the club him give the right offer and he will sign.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #39: Mar 08, 2010 08:09:03 am
      I hate fergie  but how the f**k does he keep hold of players like scholes and giggs
      and keep them happy without playing every game. We have lost a legend last season
      in hyphia and we seem to be losing carra soon.

Thats what happens when your winning trophies.

There comes a time for every player when he must realise that because of age his performances are not going to be of the highest quality every single week especially at a club like Liverpool when the pressure is on every single match whether its the league or Europe or a cup competition.
      A lot of players well into there 30s dont always play on a sat then during the week and then on a sat again etc etc because it obviously is going to take them longer to recover. Carra is going to have to realise that he will have to accept this as well.
      I think his performances have been very mixed and maybe he would have benefited from more of a rest but our squad this season just hasnt allowed it.
      The time is coming when he is going to be more of a squad player as Agger and Skrtel are the future and although i understand his concern this is Liverpool FC and the best players will play.
      Whatever he decides we all wish him the best but he will be here next season so theres no need to panic.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: Mar 08, 2010 08:23:55 am
      Why all the good servants, good luck and goodbyes in here?

It's not like he has said he's off for sure.

The contract talks aren't starting until the summer. His form has been a bit off par, but it's hardly Carra's fault. He has set his own standard at this club. I'm sure he will be offered an extension come the end of the season.   
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Mar 08, 2010 08:28:01 am
      Agreed CRK, Carra's just talking in general, and I'm sure he'll be offered a new deal too all he's basically saying is he'd like some reassurances and if his future was to lay away from Anfield so he finished his career playing and not one the bench, he would not be too bothered.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,627 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: Mar 08, 2010 09:23:53 am
      Carra is a legend. Even with him having a below par season he was still one of our better players. He knows that soon he won't be able to guarantee a starting position so maybe he's looking at where his future lyes playing or not. Still worth another year on his contract and has done a sterling job filling in at RB. Only Masch able to do a similar job for the team
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #43: Mar 08, 2010 09:51:47 am
      Disappointed to read that and as much as i love him, if thats his attitude then maybe it is best all round if he moves on. I never thought id say that.

Having the sort of players who say either play me every game or im off causes nothing but friction between the club, no matter who they are or how long they've been at the club.

Carra is 32-33 now and we wont get the best out of him if we do play him in every single game next season. Skrtel and Agger are two class centre halfs on their day too and they are now the future for LFC.

If Carra isn't prepared to be a squad player because he wants to play more football than fair enough, so be it. Everybody will shake hands and we will wish him well for the future and thank him for everything he has done in a red shirt. True legend.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Mar 08, 2010 10:46:56 am
      Has he said anywhere he wouldn't sign anyway? I don't think so...?

Give him a contract and he'll sign it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #45: Mar 08, 2010 12:47:47 pm
      Carra's future is probably at fullback rather than CB (if he was that far below the pecking order, Deggen or Kelly would be playing RB - but they are not)

Think he will sign again in the summer - maybe a 12mth with a 12mth option.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #46: Mar 08, 2010 01:20:46 pm
      Well if he plays well and his legs can handle it then i am sure Rafa would be the happiest person on the planet and he would start every game like he has this season.

But the reality is that with age it is going to get harder for him to start every game and be the first choice CB in the future (not just next season but season after that too). Jamie has never hidden from the fact that he would never be a bench/squad player and would rather move to a smaller club (read his book, it has been stated numerous times).

I am sure Rafa will buy one CB in the summer, this season has highlighted our weakness at the back, we need a CB who is good in the air and has pace (Kajer) which puts Jamies position in the team under threat so to say.

Having said all that, i think he sign an extension but i can't see him finishing his career with us which is kinna sad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,715 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #47: Mar 08, 2010 06:34:07 pm
      I don't think so. He is rock solid in the CB position.

If today we see him in the squad and play for the shirt as usually, I'm seeing him here for more than till Summer. If Rafa decide to put him on the bench, my mind will be thinking.

Deep down I think he will stay.

He has another year on his contract therefore if we decide to sell him, we will earn some money 'cos he won't stay on the bench for a year to leave the club the next year with the Bosman rule.
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #48: Mar 08, 2010 10:28:05 pm
      Great lad but has struggled to be commanding this season which is another reason the whole team has gone backwards.  maybe this says something about his relationship with the boss?  If he goes then all the best to him but it wouldnt be the end of the world.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      Reply #49: Mar 08, 2010 10:28:55 pm
      I wouldn't offer him a new contract either.

Played sh*t for about 18 months now.  Terrific servant to the club, fantastic career with us, but it's last orders.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #50: Mar 08, 2010 10:46:42 pm
      I wouldn't offer him a new contract either.

Played sh*t for about 18 months now.  Terrific servant to the club, fantastic career with us, but it's last orders.

Yep.

Nice to see the Blue side of him resurface.  Not.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #51: Mar 09, 2010 06:34:37 am
      The versatile 32-year-old, however, is refusing to decide his future until he knows whether or not he will remain an automatic choice for Rafael Benitez's starting line-up next season.
      Versatile? He plays CB or RB, is sh*t at RB and not mobile enough to play anywhere else.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #52: Mar 09, 2010 01:18:57 pm
      Hes not exactly playing like he wants a contract at present
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,467 posts | 4591 
      Reply #53: Mar 09, 2010 03:52:49 pm
      Me me me! its all about me and not the club at the moment,wether its world cup place is under threat,wanting a new contract or another club is in for me,but what about us?the fans that really matter the club we support?how anyone is expecting a contract who so far has been sh*t this season is beyond me,pull your socks up carra!stop taking the piss like the rest of you so called loyal footballers,if you were in a "PERFORMANCE RELATED PAY" you would struggle,your performace has been poor and dont deserve another contract untill you buckle up.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #54: Mar 09, 2010 03:54:56 pm
      He doesn't deserve a contract at the moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #55: Mar 09, 2010 06:23:45 pm
      Me me me! its all about me and not the club at the moment

Sums up most modern day footballers!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 2843 
      Reply #56: Mar 09, 2010 06:26:03 pm
      I didn't think I'd say it but I think the best option would be not to offer him an extension. He's not the rock and best defender in Europe that he once was.

Always a legend but I think his days are numbered now.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #57: Mar 09, 2010 07:13:19 pm
      Jamie Carragher is being unrealistic. Surely with his experience, he should realise that at his age, he cannot be guaranteed a starting place.
      The pace of the game is too much for him now which is proven by his form. His peak was the year of the Champs League win.

Not sure where he thinks he will fit in at other clubs. It wont be a big club that comes in for him. Which means he will be exposed more playing amongst lesser players and could go horribly wrong for him.

He may just be hanging on to see what happens in the summer but he knows he will never be guaranteed a 1st 11 place wherever he goes, so maybe it is just about the big payday.

The part where he said about not playing for England, I think is trying to make a point, but Rafa wont think twice about calling his bluff and offloading him.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,467 posts | 4591 
      Reply #58: Mar 09, 2010 08:18:38 pm
      Maybe fat f**k from blackburn could offer him a contract.Heknows how to bring the best out of unwanted players! Maybe thats carra bargaining chip,play me in the starting 11 or im off to blackburn.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #59: Mar 10, 2010 07:11:09 pm
      He will certainly go down as a Liverpool Legend. However, I think he should sign a 1 year deal and announce his retirement.  Make next season a farewell tour. He retires in a Liverpool jersey and remains a legend of Anfield. He'll have a ceremony in his last match at Anfield and go away from the game with respect and a fitting tribute to a legendary player.

Of course I think he'll leave. Go somewhere for a big payday, maybe, and get 10-15min. of playtime a match and retire in another jersey and basically be forgotten. whatever club he goes too wont do anything for his retirement. He will be just another in a long line of players not retiring when its time and thinking that they can still play at 100%.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,302 posts | 4949 
      Reply #60: Mar 10, 2010 11:31:34 pm
      If I was Rafa and Jamie said he was only signing if he was a guaranteed starter then I would suggest he found another club.

He either wants to play for this club or he doesn't and if his form is good enough to warrant a place in the starting 11 then well and good but if it isn't then he should not expect to play just because of who he is.

I would offer him a new contract but on the clubs terms as although his form has been pretty poor for most of the season he is still a very important player to have in the squad but if he doesn't want to sign it then he knows what to do.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #61: Mar 10, 2010 11:40:43 pm
      It's a difficult one for Rafa in a way. Although i still fully support him, I am certainly aware that the numbers having doubts are growing. Also any move on forcing out Jamie, would be met with strong disagreement by a lot of supporters, who maybe see Jamie as a local link to the club.

I have to say though, I am an old fashioned supporter in so much as, in any stand off between a player and manager, there can only be one winner; ie the manager. Otherwise it would be like the inmates taking over the asylem!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #62: Mar 11, 2010 02:51:35 am
      Also any move on forcing out Jamie, would be met with strong disagreement by a lot of supporters, who maybe see Jamie as a local link to the club.

Don't be too sure, I know quite a few lads who are pissed off with Jamie going constantly moaning to his mate Chris at the NOTW!
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #63: Mar 11, 2010 07:17:25 am
      Yeah, I've got a few friends myself who are somewhat fed up with it.

It's a strange thing Jamie is considered by some fans to be the most one who has the biggest understanding of the club. Yet he continues to speak to that journalist and that paper.

Just out of interest does Bascombe, have any contact with LFC, or is it just certain players who are feeding hime titbits?
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #64: Mar 11, 2010 09:00:41 am
      Theres no hurry to give him anew contract is there? He still has another season and im sure if he plays well next season and is in the team then everyone will be happy with him getting an extension.

However in the week he comes out in the papers talking about a new contract you would think he would back it up witha a performance but if the Wigan match is anything to go by then he might have to consider his future elsewhere, which is a shame because when Carra is at his best he is the best.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,627 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Mar 11, 2010 09:50:53 am
      We all know Skrtel and Agger will be the main pairing when the squad is fit and with Kyrgiakos Carragher and Kelly we have experience and youth as back up. Maybe Carra doesn't like that but thats where we are at right now and that ultimately is what's best for the club... so no Jamie we can't guarantee you regular football... but that doesn't mean you can't see out your career here. Suck it in and get on with it
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6783 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Mar 11, 2010 09:14:51 pm
      We all know Skrtel and Agger will be the main pairing when the squad is fit and with Kyrgiakos Carragher and Kelly we have experience and youth as back up. Maybe Carra doesn't like that but thats where we are at right now and that ultimately is what's best for the club... so no Jamie we can't guarantee you regular football... but that doesn't mean you can't see out your career here. Suck it in and get on with it

Agreed, we know you love the club but surely you must realize you can't be guaranteed a first team spot when the future needs to be sorted and we have two ready made replacements for your position available on most occasions.

Think of the future of this Club first and foremost.

Quick Reply