Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Carra holds off contract talks

Read 6595 times
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Re: Carra holds off contract talks
      Reply #23: Mar 07, 2010 04:33:03 pm
      I think Carra is right to say what he said. Anybody capable of still playing over 30 would be wanting to be getting the most out of their career, not sitting on the bench. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa let him go as I think he's been struggling to keep up with the pace of games but that's nothing to do with not being fit, that just comes with age.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #24: Mar 07, 2010 04:40:04 pm
      I think Carra is right to say what he said. Anybody capable of still playing over 30 would be wanting to be getting the most out of their career, not sitting on the bench. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa let him go as I think he's been struggling to keep up with the pace of games but that's nothing to do with not being fit, that just comes with age.

Good point. One of the fittest at the club from what I've heard.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #25: Mar 07, 2010 07:14:35 pm
      Is it me, or is Carragher, right now, a better RB than a CB?

Just you! Hehe. Really don't rate him at right back at all.

He has to start thinking about his family and life after football so this contract has to be spot on for him.
      That is why he is saying things like he wouldn't be bothered if he had to move on. If he showed any weakness at all he would not receive the contract he wants.

I hate that rubbish. Other players have done it, Terry did it big time, Gerrard did it. But it would really take Carra down a few notches in my eyes if that was what he was doing. Jeopardising the cohesion of the club for a few extra quid. The ugly side of football.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Mar 07, 2010 07:46:38 pm
      I'm slightly confused by some people's reaction on the matter, people are posting as if he has a transfer going through at the end of the season or confirmed he will be leaving at the end of next season. Yes he has had a bad season and i think if he carries on the way he is going then he will see himself dropped to the bench sooner rather than later but lets not forget next season is going to be totally different for every single player, like it always is. This season the whole team bar 1 or 2 players have been well off key and have walked on thin ice where there place in the team is concerned and i must admit i didn't think that if we had a bad season then Carra would have been one of the players on thin ice. But next season he could be back to his best and if that's the case then i see no reason why Rafa wouldn't give him a new contract because he done the same with Hyypia, the same situation where he was approaching his last year of contract and looking as though it would be his last but he had a really good season and ended up staying for another year.

But Carragher needs to realise he isn't certain of a first team place now because of his age compared to the other defenders (apart from Sotis) so he has to be playing at his best week in week out as he gets older.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #27: Mar 07, 2010 08:20:34 pm
      Great Servant to the club..

Dont get me wrong but his best days are over. Maybe Rafa is too scared to drop him? and by leaving Anfield may strenghen the morale at Anfield? The Arbeloa situation at West Brom was disgusting for any Liverpool fan to see, it was just so wrong. There were rumours that since that incident the squad had bit of split which maybe the reason why we have had a poor campaign?

Who knows.. but we as fans judge a player from what we see on the pitch.. Carra will surely be on th Anfield hall of fame, a legend here. But time to move on an let Liverpool form a partnership at the back for the future..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Mar 07, 2010 08:24:50 pm
      The Arbeloa situation at West Brom was disgusting for any Liverpool fan to see, it was just so wrong. There were rumours that since that incident the squad had bit of split which maybe the reason why we have had a poor campaign?

I disagree, yes it's not good to see the players like that but Carra was just showing through his passion and intent to keep a clean sheet, which he has already stated. Arbeloa made a mistake and Carragher was putting him in his place, Arbeloa was also putting in better performances after that IMO. I can't see in the slightest way how that is a result for this seasons form,if it was going to have a negative effect on the team then it would have happened last season when we were going all out to catch United. Also Arbeloa has left so there is no reason why there would be a split from that now.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #29: Mar 07, 2010 08:40:47 pm
      I think some people have majorly overreacted to Carragher's form this season.
      I think he had a bad start, as did the rest of the team and he's had some moments that have stuck out and made people question his ability due to age.

How's Gerrard played this season? Not great atall. He scores goals in important games but i think he's been at fault as much as/maybe more than Carra. When Gerrard is missing for 90 minutes, the team don't play well which can cost us points and has done on a few occasions this season. But when Carra makes a mistake at the back, it can lead to a goal which is pointed out by fans and media.

He's not too old to continue playing at a high standard, and once he gets on a good run of games and regains some confidence I'm sure people will look back and laugh at how they were saying his time was up at Anfield.

Plus, taking him out the club would be removing a key member of the team. He's a huge presence at the club and the team would certainly feel the effects of removing his voice from the ranks.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Mar 07, 2010 08:55:15 pm
      Whatever Carra decides we all have to respect his decision, He has given 15yrs of his life to this club and you can count the games he has'nt given 100% in one hand, His commitment has been second to none and is a true inspiration to all potential and  aspiring youngsters, It is almost the end of an era for LFC where yet another true legend is contemplating his future, We have seen it all before with the likes of messers, Lindsay, Yates, Smith, Hughes, Thompson,,St john, Callaghan,Hansen, Dalglish, Rush Barnes, Fowler, Shankly, Paisley Et al, Jaimie is going to join these band of brothers sooner or later and he should go with our blessing, He has said himself that if he feels he can no longer give everything he has for the club, the fans and most importantly himself then he would rather leave, Its not that he does'nt want to play its his pride and the love he has for LFC that will ultimately decide his fate, It will be the end of an era, But the foundations of a new one will have begun and he will be back at the new Anfield as our manager, Where we can once again worship our hero, We should all thank Carra for what he has given us over the years and enjoy the Autumn of his carreer and just hope we see as much of him as possible.   Jamie Carragher, I salute you sir.   YNWA.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #31: Mar 07, 2010 10:30:12 pm
      As I read this statement properly it appears to me that Carra is brutally aware that his status of first name on the team sheet may be in jeopardy for the first time in his career,Carra is ,as he would probably agree, not the calibre of player he was a couple of years ago ,still very good ! but not as good ,his love and passion of Liverpool goes without question and he is a true anfield legend in my eyes and will always be regarded as such. whatever Jamie decides ,and i hope he stays with us , good luck and YNWA CARRA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #32: Mar 08, 2010 12:06:25 am
      Has he played himself out of contention ? Would Agger, Skrtle or Sotis have been able to play at R back if Carra was also injured?  I think not, and as the others have settled well after a dodgy start to the season by our  C backs, Will Carra be able to oust them when Jonsone is back  at R back.  hhhhmmmmm, food for thought. He's deffo gonna want to know if he's in with a fair shout. 4 into 2 don't go.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #33: Mar 08, 2010 12:14:21 am
      I hate fergie  but how the f**k does he keep hold of players like scholes and giggs
      and keep them happy without playing every game. We have lost a legend last season
      in hyphia and we seem to be losing carra soon.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #34: Mar 08, 2010 12:15:20 am
      Would Agger, Skrtel, or Sotis be able to play at R.B. if Carra was injured as well ?  I don't think so. As our C backs were all at sea at the start of the season, and have now settled, will Carra get in after Johnson returns at R back.
      Could be waiting for an injury there. He probably just wants re assuring has has a fair chance of a regular spot before he comits. Makes sense at his age but seems like he could have played himself out of contention as was said earlier, and knows it. Still a Liverpool great and I'm forever gratefull he is a Red.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Mar 08, 2010 04:15:08 am
      He called Rooney the best striker in the world!

Sell him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36: Mar 08, 2010 07:10:47 am
      As I read this statement properly it appears to me that Carra is brutally aware that his status of first name on the team sheet may be in jeopardy for the first time in his career,Carra is ,as he would probably agree, not the calibre of player he was a couple of years ago ,still very good ! but not as good ,his love and passion of Liverpool goes without question and he is a true anfield legend in my eyes and will always be regarded as such. whatever Jamie decides ,and I hope he stays with us , good luck and YNWA CARRA

I do not agree that Carra feels his place as first choice is in jeopardy for the first time,think back to when Houllier was here and it seemed every season Houllier brought someone in and it was Carra who had to move position and re-establish himself in the team.Also it did not matter where he got moved to he always did it successfully.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010 07:19:57 am by crouchinho »
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #37: Mar 08, 2010 07:16:06 am
      Chill guys, he isn't leaving the club tomorrow! :D
      Not a good season for him, but Rafa will keep him as a back-up defender. I find it hard to believe that Rafa may sell him. If he wants to go, that's another thing. His wish.
      If he does want to leave to get some regular football, well and good for him. He is well entitled to think about his career and nobody can call him selfish for it, seeing his devotion to the club for so long.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #38: Mar 08, 2010 07:33:21 am
      Carra has stated in his book that he will never settle for bench. He is looking for assurances from Rafa and we know the boss gives no one any assurances on the number of games they are going to play or if they are going to be first choice.

Should be interesting. In the end i think the club him give the right offer and he will sign.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #39: Mar 08, 2010 08:09:03 am
      I hate fergie  but how the f**k does he keep hold of players like scholes and giggs
      and keep them happy without playing every game. We have lost a legend last season
      in hyphia and we seem to be losing carra soon.

Thats what happens when your winning trophies.

There comes a time for every player when he must realise that because of age his performances are not going to be of the highest quality every single week especially at a club like Liverpool when the pressure is on every single match whether its the league or Europe or a cup competition.
      A lot of players well into there 30s dont always play on a sat then during the week and then on a sat again etc etc because it obviously is going to take them longer to recover. Carra is going to have to realise that he will have to accept this as well.
      I think his performances have been very mixed and maybe he would have benefited from more of a rest but our squad this season just hasnt allowed it.
      The time is coming when he is going to be more of a squad player as Agger and Skrtel are the future and although i understand his concern this is Liverpool FC and the best players will play.
      Whatever he decides we all wish him the best but he will be here next season so theres no need to panic.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: Mar 08, 2010 08:23:55 am
      Why all the good servants, good luck and goodbyes in here?

It's not like he has said he's off for sure.

The contract talks aren't starting until the summer. His form has been a bit off par, but it's hardly Carra's fault. He has set his own standard at this club. I'm sure he will be offered an extension come the end of the season.   
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #41: Mar 08, 2010 08:28:01 am
      Agreed CRK, Carra's just talking in general, and I'm sure he'll be offered a new deal too all he's basically saying is he'd like some reassurances and if his future was to lay away from Anfield so he finished his career playing and not one the bench, he would not be too bothered.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: Mar 08, 2010 09:23:53 am
      Carra is a legend. Even with him having a below par season he was still one of our better players. He knows that soon he won't be able to guarantee a starting position so maybe he's looking at where his future lyes playing or not. Still worth another year on his contract and has done a sterling job filling in at RB. Only Masch able to do a similar job for the team
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #43: Mar 08, 2010 09:51:47 am
      Disappointed to read that and as much as i love him, if thats his attitude then maybe it is best all round if he moves on. I never thought id say that.

Having the sort of players who say either play me every game or im off causes nothing but friction between the club, no matter who they are or how long they've been at the club.

Carra is 32-33 now and we wont get the best out of him if we do play him in every single game next season. Skrtel and Agger are two class centre halfs on their day too and they are now the future for LFC.

If Carra isn't prepared to be a squad player because he wants to play more football than fair enough, so be it. Everybody will shake hands and we will wish him well for the future and thank him for everything he has done in a red shirt. True legend.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Mar 08, 2010 10:46:56 am
      Has he said anywhere he wouldn't sign anyway? I don't think so...?

Give him a contract and he'll sign it.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #45: Mar 08, 2010 12:47:47 pm
      Carra's future is probably at fullback rather than CB (if he was that far below the pecking order, Deggen or Kelly would be playing RB - but they are not)

Think he will sign again in the summer - maybe a 12mth with a 12mth option.

Quick Reply