Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Are US Players in Europe and the EPL good enough?

Read 3192 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Are US Players in Europe and the EPL good enough?
      Mar 07, 2010 01:57:59 am
       It used to be that American players were laughed at in Europe.

I'm curious what some of the English fans and English Football followers think of our US national team and the players in the EPL and other European clubs right now. With the US in the same group as England in the World Cup, is it looked as an easy win or do you think that they are tough and England will need to really fight to beat the US squad.

Players like Howard ,Friedel, Keller, McBride, Beasley, Johnson, Dempsey, Edu, Reyna, Bocanegra, Spector.  I know that guys like McBride.Howard and Beasley are good enough for EPL.

But all in all do you see a change in the caliber of American talent and do you see Americans being stars in the EPL and one day winning and leading the league in scoring and play.

I may be biased but I think we have gotten to a level where we can play in the EPL or the SPL.

Without just hating the player because they are American, I just want an unbiased opinion of our talent and where, as Americans our talent lies and can an American win a "golden boot award" or Captain a League winning club.

Has the time come where American players can beat the Italians,Germans,French or Spanish.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Re: Are US Players in Europe and the EPL good enough?
      Reply #1: Mar 07, 2010 02:09:37 am
      I think the first outfield yank I remember was that tit for Everton - Joe Max Moore. I know he wasn't American but they had that Radzinski fella from Canada as well who wasn't up to much either.

The keepers have done alright, Keller was decent at Leicester and Spurs, Brad has been fantastic since he left us (:() and Howard seems to have found his range at Everton after struggling a bit with United.

To be honest I don't think there's been a great talent from America in terms of outfield players. Fulham will argue that McBride and Dempsey are great players but they were never good enough to be at a top four club unfortunately. Claudio Reyna was alright at Sunderland but again never a world beater.

In terms of talent, I think there's some decent players from the States. And certainly some who are no worse than your average European or African. But I do still feel that the States are some way off having a global world class star. That Freddy Adu was expected to be the next big thing but doesn't seem to of developed in a way he should of.

So although the quality is improving, mainly because the number of Americans in Europe's top divisions is increasing, there's still a lack of world class quality there.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #2: Mar 07, 2010 02:28:55 am
      Barring keepers, the only us player who is good enough to be in a top 4 club is Dempsey. Always been impressed with him and really glad if he will join us in the summer.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #3: Mar 07, 2010 02:54:23 am
      I tend to agree about the keepers.   American sports like Baseball,American Football,basketball are sports heavily geared toward hand eye coordination. Which is the reason that alot of Americans seem to be "gifted" in goal.  I think McBride,Dempsey, Beasley and Keller are solid starters and could play in top flight.   Adu's (proper spelling) problem was he had the talent at a young age but being forced to play MLS really took away from a formative time and if he was allowed to go to an English academy, play the English game and train at 14-17 in England it would be a different story. He was supposed to go the PSV Eindhoven as a kid and train and MLS said no.  They ruined a golden oppurtunity to have world class player who would of done marvels for the US game.

The MLS is awful at taking young talent and preparing them for the rigors of world class play.  If Ronaldo trained in the MLS system at 13-17 he would be a so-so player.  MLS just cant prepare our youth. Enough said. 

We need a total rebuild and to bring in world class coaches and trainers from England.Italy,Spain etc to groom these kids and get them ready.  Its our our own fault.  If a 1/4 of the money spent on training Baseball and American Football players was spent on Soccer we would compete every year.  The talent and youth is there. The system is in place. Great grounds, facilities, equipment etc. Just know one who can mold them and make them play the European way.   Its just a waste of good talent.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Mar 07, 2010 04:29:56 am
      Donovan is brilliant at Everton, so good he's almost scoring for them!

Woops, not the knee-jerk thread. Sorry ;)

In seriousness, i echo the sentiments here. Seem to have good keepers but otherwise, just so-so. Dempsey aint bad at all though, and theres a few others ive seen in the MLS here i think could be decent.

If the US had a real good development system in place it could be something else though. Such an un-tapped resource here i feel, just by sheer population. If the passion could be built here, it could be a lot more.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Mar 07, 2010 10:59:10 am
      I think from an England point of view the fact that the US are in our world cup group it's more a case of embarrassment than worry if we don't win that game.  Most people/fans expect England to win this match because football isn't considered an American game so therefore we should be the better team. 

Maybe the players aren't as good technically as European or South Americans but as with all US sportsmen they have great team spirit and determination and show no respect or fear towards whoever they compete against.  They have that unfailing belief in themselves that they deserve to win everything.

Thankfully from our point of view is that even if we don't win that game we should still qualify from the group but a defeat will not go down very well in this country.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Mar 07, 2010 12:26:42 pm
      There are some decent American players about. Not all that many, though.

I rate Dempsey, at Fulham. I think that's the level for him, not the top 4.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,449 posts | 8656 
      Reply #7: Mar 07, 2010 12:31:31 pm
      I think from an England point of view the fact that the US are in our world cup group it's more a case of embarrassment than worry if we don't win that game.  Most people/fans expect England to win this match because football isn't considered an American game so therefore we should be the better team. 

Maybe the players aren't as good technically as European or South Americans but as with all US sportsmen they have great team spirit and determination and show no respect or fear towards whoever they compete against.  They have that unfailing belief in themselves that they deserve to win everything.

Thankfully from our point of view is that even if we don't win that game we should still qualify from the group but a defeat will not go down very well in this country.

There will be plenty of reminders about 1950 - the last time the US beat England in the World Cup!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: Mar 07, 2010 02:25:56 pm
      I don't think the US has any top players at the moment, but I do admire them for their unity, fighting spirit and determination. That's something many national teams lack.

About the 'wonderkid' Freddy Adu, I read many scouts believe he's up to 5 years older than is claimed, which would explain his development. Don't forget, he's originally from Ghana.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Mar 07, 2010 02:29:25 pm
      There will be plenty of reminders about 1950 - the last time the US beat England in the World Cup!

I'm sure there will HR, there's a lot here that won't let it drop if we lose this game.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,449 posts | 8656 
      Reply #10: Mar 07, 2010 02:51:36 pm
      I'm sure there will HR, there's a lot here that won't let it drop if they lose this game.

There fixed it for you ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2010 03:15:12 pm

Cheers mate.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2010 07:00:25 pm
      If you want to get technical wasn't Giuseppe Rossi from the states? But he's not exactly a world beater either.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #13: Mar 08, 2010 06:08:58 am
      I think our National team is an exception. They ARE talented and have a massive chip on their shoulder to prove that they belong in the World Cup and that they deserve to be recognized.  They might not be the best in the world week in and week out, but they are just dangerous enough to knock off the #1 in a single group stage match. I dont think its an embarrassment if England lose to us.  We have a good national squad with plenty of top tier experience.  Its not 1950 anymore.  These guys are pro's and know how to play your game.

Will they win the Cup. Doubtful.  But in a tournament like the world cup, its the team that is playing hot and is playing conservative that goes far.  We are nowhere near Brazil, England,Argentina,Germany,Italy,Spain etc.. But. Football is a game of weird bounces and luck.

RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #14: Mar 08, 2010 12:27:39 pm
      I think that most US players are quite handy, and usually good team players.

What I have been impressed with over the years, is the unity aspect of the squad, and the great fighting spirit they show as a team.
      In the World Cup 2002, they were great to watch, as they played a fluid, attacking brand of football.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #15: Mar 08, 2010 01:33:05 pm
      I think at international level, the US have definitely gone from being a bit of a spectacle to a side that actually some of the big sides are wary of. 

People now expect them to get through their group for instance.

They seem to have a good team spirit at international level and unlike in Europe the international side has a 'club' mentality.

Do I think any of the outfield players are world class? No.  But as a team they can get some good results.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #16: Mar 08, 2010 04:57:58 pm
      The England / US game will be good.  I think it could be a real test for the US team and gauge where we are on a talent level.  If we win it will really fuel a good run for the tournament.  Even if we lose, If we play good its ok.  As long as its not a blow out like 3-0 or 4-0 or 5-1.

If its 0-0 and England scores late in the 2nd half I would still see it as a good result. I watch how we play England, Germany, Italy etc.. Thats how the US are built. We are built on the same frame as the European clubs.

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Mar 08, 2010 07:02:40 pm
      I always liked McBride, Friedel and Dempsey. With McBride, i wouldn't say he was a quality player or anything but he certainly caused problems to other teams. Likewise about Dempsey. In terms of Friedal, i rate him amongst the top goalkeppers in the Prem. I also think Donavan is a good player. But again, not outstanding. With regards to DaMarcus Beasley, saw him play a few times for Rangers and i think he is a below average player who woul;d never make it in the Prem.

One thing i would say, and this goes especially with the likes of Dempesy, McBride and Friedel, i think they have such a fantastic attitude to the game and they work their work socks off for their team.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #18: Mar 08, 2010 07:38:40 pm
      The true test for the USA will be in 90 odd days.

Then I'll have my say.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #19: Mar 09, 2010 05:48:01 am
      I always liked McBride, Friedel and Dempsey. With McBride, i wouldn't say he was a quality player or anything but he certainly caused problems to other teams. Likewise about Dempsey. In terms of Friedal, i rate him amongst the top goalkeppers in the Prem. I also think Donavan is a good player. But again, not outstanding. With regards to DaMarcus Beasley, saw him play a few times for Rangers and i think he is a below average player who woul;d never make it in the Prem.

One thing i would say, and this goes especially with the likes of Dempesy, McBride and Friedel, i think they have such a fantastic attitude to the game and they work their work socks off for their team.
      I noticed a lot of the other posts said the same thing about the US players playing harder and with more passion.  I think it comes down to these guys having more pressure on them to perform because of the stereotype that American players are way below the European players and South American players.

I agree with most of the comments on here.  I dont think the US born players are all top, world class players. With the exception of McBride and Friedel the new crop of US players need to show me they belong. Its obvious they have talent.  The worst player on the worst team in the EPL is still one of the best footballers in the world. Just due to the fact that he is playing in the best league in the world.  But, you then have the 10% of Players who are far and above the best in the world. Ronaldo,Torres,Gerrard, Kaka, Messi,Rooney,Tevez,Ronaldhino etc... I think one day an American player will be their. In order for that to happen he would need to leave the US and get with a European club and get into an academy.  The MLS just will not produce the caliber of players like EPL,LaLiga, Serie A..

Right now I think the best American player of the last 20 years is Jozy Altidore.  He has all the skills and speed to be a top player. He's playing in Europe and he's being groomed for big things. He has great speed, fantastic ball control and field vision. Powerful legs and blinding shots. He was the first American to score in La Liga, he is on loan to Hull right now and already scored 2 goals for them and a pair of assists.  He is certainly one player to watch.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: Mar 09, 2010 09:44:49 am
      Normally, it's the goalkeepers from America that do well in theKasey Keller, Brad Friedle and if you want to include Tim Howard. Recently though, outfield players from US are coming in as well.

I've always thought Landon Donovan was a good player but not as top as Gerrard or Torres would be. Brian McBride was also a decent striker. I actually like Clint Dempsey in Fulham. Yeah, it's true that I think because of that fact where European players are seemed superior to Americans, they tended to work hard for the team.

Jozy Altidore, is the one at Hull on loan from Villareal isn't he? Pretty tought guy as well. I rememeber a few years back, this kid, Freddy Adu was tipped to be the star of the future but he was rejected by Man United.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: Mar 10, 2010 12:36:48 am
      Dempsey could be a bench player for a top 4 side MAYBE, same with Donovan. Our goalkeepers have always been a class above our outfield players. Altidore has all the makings of a top-50 player in the world eventually, and it's scary to think he's only 20. He is your typical American athlete that you see in the NFL, big, strong and fast, and a world of talent as well. He may never be a true world beater, but he could in a couple years be a 2nd/holding forward on a side contending for the Top 4 in the EPL. I can't wait to see how he does in the World Cup.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #22: Mar 10, 2010 06:14:03 pm
      We have had good forwards and defenders. We have had top world class goalkeepers. But we have never had a World Class forward. I'm waiting for the US to produce a Messi or Ronaldo.  I think we can. We have an awesome youth program and great training facilities.

The Issue is taking the talent and combining it to the world game.  You can have a player who is the greatest ever La Liga player and he would not be as good in the EPL or Serie A.  Everyone of the major European Leagues has its own specific style and its a matter of using your natural talents and adding the specific needs of whichever league your in and combine them.  Not to mention that kids in the US play multiple sports. In England,Italy,Spain,France etc kids play Football. Thats it.

I kind of compare the debate to Basketball.  US basketball players are the best in the world and almost every top player is American.  But we do see some foreign born players who are now considered top world players. For some reason a lot players from the Balkans area are fantastic players and France seems to be producing some good players.

Right now I really got my eyes on Altidore. In the right circumstances he can be the first American to get a top contract with a top club. He needs a few more seasons of play. If he stays healthy, gets in the right system and the right coaching staff he'll produce goals for someone.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #23: Mar 10, 2010 07:35:12 pm
      The US really screwed the pooch with Adu. The kid has all the talent in the world but they had him stay in the MLS instead of letting him cut his chops in training with a European team. They should have put him in a great youth academy and let him compete day in and day out with equally talented individuals. :f_steam:

I remember a great article on ESPN soccernet a while back about the US youth setup changing it's way to the "Everton Way". What the article was getting at is that youth teams in the US are focused way too much on the results in competitions, as opposed to letting the players develop. Tactics outweighed player development, and it had hindered the chances for many talented players to grow. They also wanted to remove the American way of substitutions (i.e. sub out and back in whenever you can).

I'm excited for the next bunch of American talent to come in the next 10-15 years. We have a kid right now who is in the Arsenal youth ranks, and hopefully he will develop playing with great youth players everyday.

Quick Reply