Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Gerrard & Carra

Read 4089 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Gerrard & Carra
      Mar 11, 2010 11:46:00 am
      Question: Is it time rafa and liverpool fc let two of our most influential players steven gerrard & jamie carragher leave in the summer?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Gerrard & Carra
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2010 11:48:07 am
      No
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2010 12:28:06 pm
      Think the answer is in the question Shabbadoo
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2010 12:48:48 pm
      No. Gerrard has had a poor season by his standards, without a doubt, but one bad season from frankly the best player to have ever played for Liverpool doesn't justify F***ing him off.

We'd miss him dearly if he left.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2010 12:54:22 pm
      I love both players and admire how much they have given the club,the reason why i asked the question was certain managers know when the time is right for a player to be moved on for the good of the team and club and no one was better at this than bill shankley.
      It would mean letting fresh blood take to the stage and giving them the chance to shine without the shadow of senior players with strong personalities.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2010 12:57:25 pm
      Yeah F**k it why not through Torres in for nothing aswell!
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,281 posts | 803 
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2010 01:04:16 pm
      Haha! After a run of bad games whoever thinks we should let our 2 most influential players go need there heads examined! We would be a hell of alot worse off without the pair!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2010 01:10:46 pm
      ! We would be a hell of alot worse off without the pair!

Would we? I dont think so, we have played well when jamie or stevei have not been in the team.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2010 01:24:59 pm
      I love both players and admire how much they have given the club,the reason why I asked the question was certain managers know when the time is right for a player to be moved on for the good of the team and club and no one was better at this than bill shankley.
      It would mean letting fresh blood take to the stage and giving them the chance to shine without the shadow of senior players with strong personalities.

Or you can look at the other side of the coin and say that the manager is not getting the best out of two fantastic players and usually when this happens it is the manager who exits.

Neither player are bigger than the club that much is for sure and Liverpool football club will continue it's existance long after they have retired and Rafa to, much to the disbelief of some.

Gerrard is still a world class players and has at least two seasons in him to show that, under the guidance of a man-manager who is able to inspire and motivate his players, then who knows what we may achieve. You can have all the money in the world, a 70,000 stadium packed out every week, full of world class players in your side. But if your manager is incapable of gelling that team, inspiring and motivating his players its worth feck all.... Just look at R.Madrid last night.

Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2010 01:25:29 pm
      Would we? I dont think so, we have played well when jamie or stevei have not been in the team.
      We were fine for a few games, but in the long term we would be fu**ed without at least one of them.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,281 posts | 803 
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2010 01:29:52 pm
      I agree we grinded out results without them, but in the long run without there motivation and encouragement on the training ground and the changing rooms, as Ov3rdose says we'd be fu**ed
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2010 01:32:12 pm
      They may not be performing at their usual level this season but neither are most of the team bar Reina.

No one is bigger than the club but these two are still important players and their presence would be a confident booster per se.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2010 01:41:46 pm
      I agree we grinded out results without them, but in the long run without there motivation and encouragement on the training ground and the changing rooms, as Ov3rdose says we'd be fu**ed
      I think the pair of them have lacked motivation this season,pepe and masch have had to pick it up.As for being fu**ed without them i would disagree,arsenal,manure have survived by letting big players leave.If an oppurtunity arises in the summer would it be good to cash in on these two? and if rafa gets the funds to rebuild.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,281 posts | 803 
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2010 01:45:13 pm
      I understand where your coming from, but one bad season out of how many years of great service? I think its just a blip and the pair will be back to their best next season! (i hope so anyway) ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2010 01:47:28 pm
      I fear next season.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2010 03:16:13 pm
      I am looking forward to next season!!  Clean slate- start again- Do it properly this time!!

As for the original question- this is ONE bad season-
      Remember last season?!  Gerrard the goal machine? 4points from the title?!!

Dont give up so quickly-
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #16: Mar 11, 2010 03:20:05 pm
      Question: Is it time rafa and liverpool fc let two of our most influential players steven gerrard & jamie carragher leave in the summer?

No......but its time LFC,  Gerrard & jamie Carragher let Rafa go in the summer
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #17: Mar 11, 2010 03:25:19 pm
      My question is not based on one season,i think we need to start evolving and the burden on gerrards and carras shoulders is there to see,not for one moment do i not think how much stevieand jamie would love to lift #19 but i think the expectations have taken their toll on both of them,i think cashing in on both would be benificial to the team.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #18: Mar 11, 2010 03:32:11 pm
      I think you are all crazy!!

No scousers in the team??

You may aswell say cashing in on our most expensive players would be beneficial to the team...
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #19: Mar 11, 2010 03:33:16 pm
      No.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #20: Mar 11, 2010 03:35:38 pm
      would rather see Rafa go then getting rid of our home grown players.and get a manager that they both would trust with positive tactics.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #21: Mar 11, 2010 03:42:37 pm
      would rather see Rafa go then getting rid of our home grown players.and get a manager that they both would trust with positive tactics.
      This is not  GET RID OF RAFA TOPIC,rafa has turned gerrard into one of the worlds most dangerous midfielders,and carra a pillar at the back,so they have to thank rafa for alot.
      As for not having any scousers in the team it does not affect how foreign players undrestand the liverpool way,look at reina,mascherano,kuyt,torres do they see them less passionate to the cause than the two local lads?i think not.
      I remember arsenal having to locals or english players in the team at one point.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22: Mar 11, 2010 03:43:24 pm
      No. Gerrard has had a poor season by his standards, without a doubt, but one bad season from frankly the best player to have ever played for Liverpool doesn't justify f**king him off.

We'd miss him dearly if he left.

how dare you? king kenny's the best player ever for lfc :D stevie's te second though and you're right, i wouldn't ship him out for the world at mo. inspirational lad and world class quality does not erode after one bad season
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #23: Mar 11, 2010 03:49:51 pm
      We are not discussing one season here guys! im asking is it worth letting the pair of them go and cash in on them for the good of the team.
      Ladyboy left manure and made rooney a better player,arsenal let henry,adebayour leave and the younger players have come into their own thats all.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #24: Mar 11, 2010 03:51:52 pm
      cannot believe this topic hasn't been deleted.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #25: Mar 11, 2010 03:58:07 pm
      To be honest, I'm bracing myself for Carragher's depature. It would be sad to see him leave after all this years and everything he's given to the club but I do not feel it would be a substantial loss. Especially if we brought in a new world class centre back.

Gerrard on the other hand - he's having a very poor season but I don't think we should be looking to ship him out.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #26: Mar 11, 2010 03:59:22 pm
      Why would rafa want to sell Gerrard, one of only 4 world class players in our team?( Masch, Torres and Renia being the others) And how would this help the team? None of the money would go towards a replacement.

The answer is NO.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #27: Mar 11, 2010 04:00:39 pm
      Perhaps if both leave, do we should play with no Englishman in the starting lineup? :P
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #28: Mar 11, 2010 04:01:56 pm
      We are not discussing one season here guys! im asking is it worth letting the pair of them go and cash in on them for the good of the team.
      Ladyboy left manure and made rooney a better player,arsenal let henry,adebayour leave and the younger players have come into their own thats all.
      And if Rafa would sell both of them for about 35 million, he would get 10 million or even less. What good would that do for the team?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #29: Mar 11, 2010 04:05:17 pm
      Perhaps if both leave, do we should play with no Englishman in the starting lineup? :P
      Well we have kelly,darby,spearing.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #30: Mar 11, 2010 04:09:32 pm
      Well we have kelly,darby,spearing.

How often do you think Rafa will let them start ? :D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #31: Mar 11, 2010 04:10:55 pm

Glen Johnson?

Although, England aren't exactly winning every tournament they're in. Just because we play in England doesn't mean they're necessarily the better players for us.

I think people are jumping too quickly on a bad run of form for Gerrard. We all know what type of player he is. And commitment wise, the whole team has looked a little desolate. Not just Stevie. 

Carragher's form however has been on a downward spiral. He is a monumental figure at the club and I would never question his commitment, but his form has been pretty bad. If he picks it up anytime soon then there's no doubt in my  mind he is still good enough to play for Liverpool.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #32: Mar 11, 2010 04:21:35 pm
      Glen Johnson?

Although, England aren't exactly winning every tournament they're in. Just because we play in England doesn't mean they're necessarily the better players for us.

Sorry i forgot Johnson, your are right mate, but what i mean is: One Fifa law, which should be coming, I'm not sure with this but do that say that there must be a min. of players from the home country of the club?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #33: Mar 11, 2010 05:03:47 pm

its a valid question to be honest. everyone though henry was mr arsenal and they'd be nothing without him, but moving him on actually helped others develop and raise their game.

the problem is, arsenal have a healthy supply of young talent, a very astute manager who has the full backing of the board and non of the boardroom problems and off the field sh*t that they are putting up with. it was a perfect  platform for arsenal to develop.

as for manure, they already had a large squad and a world class player in rooney who could step up. not sure we lose torres and gerrad that we would have the replacements.

therein lies the problem.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #34: Mar 11, 2010 05:09:00 pm
      Out of the two stevie would be the hardest to replace someone who at a split second could change a game as he has done over the years,while he is with us the harder its going to be to replace him and we could miss out on emerging talent.
      I think you got the jist of what im saying OZI.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #35: Mar 11, 2010 05:36:08 pm
      Out of the two stevie would be the hardest to replace someone who at a split second could change a game as he has done over the years,while he is with us the harder its going to be to replace him and we could miss out on emerging talent.
      I think you got the jist of what im saying OZI.

i'm not dismissing it at all, as i said, i think its a perfectly valid point, stevie cannot be around forever and we need to think of the future.

i do think it would be wrong to move him on now, without the emerging talent to replace him, i don't think darby and spearing have what it takes to start every game YET!

the situation we are in now, we need a player like stevie, with leadership and the passion to get us through the hard times. i certainly dont think we should move him on because of one bad season.

in the long run, i completely agree that others need the platform to be developed.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #36: Mar 11, 2010 10:05:55 pm
      I'd rather cut off my left bollock and sell it than have Stevie leave. :o Carra IMO is coming to his end, but not Stevie. He's still got at least 4 more years in him. ;)
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #37: Mar 12, 2010 12:08:55 am
      what these 2 need are... to be dropped for a game or 2.. that will give a kick up their arse..

but rafa needs to grow a pair to do that...

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #38: Mar 12, 2010 03:55:09 am
      soccer is a business and basically players have a shelf life. think both these players are past there best. if they have nightmare seasons next season there asking price will drop dramatically. anyone can be traded in reality
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Reply #39: Mar 12, 2010 06:08:34 am
      I can't beleive this topic, if any players are to leave it has to be kuyt and maybe Lucas first before anyone else. Kuyt has had a good few years with us, but I think the opposition have worked him out and is not as effective anymore. His time has come to leave.
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #40: Mar 12, 2010 08:03:25 am
      Kuyt has been in effective because he is being played out of position, as with Gerrard simple as, until the bigman realises this they all might as well be sold.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #41: Mar 12, 2010 08:55:46 am

It was done before - won the FA cup 24 years ago with no englishmen.... Some bl**dy good scots and a tasty welshmen though
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #42: Mar 12, 2010 10:03:32 am
      soccer is a business and basically players have a shelf life. think both these players are past there best. if they have nightmare seasons next season there asking price will drop dramatically. anyone can be traded in reality

completely disagree wallbanger. soccer may be business to some, but to thousands and thousands of lfc fans, its much more than that. in fact, ask any passionate supporter about any club up and down the country, for them, its not business, its a passion and its a part of their history.

tom and d*ck may look at it as a business, but fans don't. precisely because of this, we need players like stevie. these type of players are becoming a rarer commodity.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #43: Mar 12, 2010 01:17:16 pm
      Souness tried re-building, by selling legends. Look where it got us, we have still not recovered from the damage he did!
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #44: Mar 12, 2010 01:54:21 pm
      Stevie, No way he should be sold, just due to one bad season. Carra, is a different story though, he just doesn't have the legs, and is costing us regularly now. Either ease him out the first XI or sell him. Simple as.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2010 11:32:06 am by RedWilly »
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #45: Mar 13, 2010 01:38:33 am
      Souness tried re-building, by selling legends. Look where it got us, we have still not recovered from the damage he did!

Exactly mate... and he be's in sky studios giving it large about how we should play and how this season disaster it has been for us..
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      Reply #46: Mar 13, 2010 12:22:25 pm
      Would be funny if someone said something to him about that on air..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: Mar 13, 2010 12:25:25 pm
      We can afford to rid of Carra. IMO we let the wrong defender go in Hyypia, but when i predicted a drop in form for Carra never did i imagine it to be this mighty.

Maybe a few bigger signings will bring us the old Gerrard back. Or a chat with some die hard fans who saw the real Liverpool since the Shankly era and remind him what it means to be captain.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #48: Mar 14, 2010 09:30:01 am
      I see the tabloids are at it again over speculation that Gerro is to become a Galactico,some of the gutter press seem to find information on certain players off the man in street who are no doubtably directors or chairmen of these clubs and yet there is nothing what so ever on the clubs own web sites.We have had these so called transfer deals in press for a number of years now without no concrete evidence so how can they say Exclusive when most of the time it's just pie in the sky IMO and yours it sells papers and April fool's believe them.
      Don't these people realise that if it was going to happen that we would be the first to know,so p*ss off with your EXCLUSIVES.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #49: Mar 14, 2010 09:36:23 am
      Considering how poor Gerrard is this season might it be feasible to sell him away? It might be good to raise a fair bit of 80M and provided Rafa gets the full sum to invest in the team, then I might have a hard think over it.

Well he's going to be 30/31 when the new season comes, with each passing game he looks more disinterested in playing and more obsessed with winning the EPL. I see only a couple of years left in him.

With 80M we could buy four quality players which would drastically improve the squad. Gourcuff looks like a potential replacement for Gerrard, surely four players could outweigh the impact Gerrard had on us?

I mean I don't want Gerrard out, but if it means for the good of the team and improving the squad I might think hard about it, and what's more he isn't young and doesn't have many seasons left in him.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #50: Mar 14, 2010 09:46:54 am
      Ita all about the team,the team comes first and if that means selling stevie then so be it,as you said redsonfire improving the squad with the funds would be very benificial.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #51: Mar 15, 2010 08:25:34 am
      completely disagree wallbanger. soccer may be business to some, but to thousands and thousands of lfc fans, its much more than that. in fact, ask any passionate supporter about any club up and down the country, for them, its not business, its a passion and its a part of their history.

tom and d*ck may look at it as a business, but fans don't. precisely because of this, we need players like stevie. these type of players are becoming a rarer commodity.

Completely agree - What is the point supporting liverpool, if there aren't any local lads and fans like stevie and carra playing for us!!???

Anyone who thinks differently, go support arsenal.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #52: Mar 15, 2010 09:25:10 am
      Jeesh I was saying we should bench Stevie for tonight to give him a kick up the arse, and you guys wanna sell him? :lmao:

Stevie has had a bad year with injuries etc. so cut some slack, I'm sure he know he's been playing sh*te. It's harder to get back to your previous form if you know yourself that you're currently playing bad.

On a serious note, lets chip in to send in a clown to boost morale within the dressing room  :f_tongueincheek:

I reckon Rafa should save some money actually and do it all himself, he'd make an awesome entertainer.  :laugh:

Quote from: Rafa (dressed as a clown)
      This is a ballon animal no?  ;D

Quick Reply