Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Lille 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match sandblast your own face off

Read 12505 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Lille 1-0 Liverpool: Post Match sandblast your own face off
      Reply #230: Mar 12, 2010 11:16:12 am
      Woeful performance again from virtually every player. 

Don't think or believe that Monday's game will be any different but I still expect us to get through in this competition despite last nights result.

artc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #231: Mar 12, 2010 11:35:59 am
      Do any of you believe that we can raise our game above this poor display , don't care what people say, this team does not want to play for Benitez, they are sick and tired of his crap tactics, they are sick and tired of his refusal to see the obvious about certain players not being good enough, he refuses to sub players until the 65th minute, he sends on an extra forward with eight minutes to go, his summary of Liverpool performances are a joke, he won't play Aqui in case he gets injured, the game last monday and last night sums up our season, we are not good enough, we never will be whilst he employs the tactics of caution.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #232: Mar 12, 2010 11:38:55 am
      It was a woeful performance but after thinking about the game the things that stun me most are how Rafa ever starts Kuyt right midfield and how did he remain on the pitch so long.

He must have something in his contract we don't know about because his performances this season have been absolutely disgraceful, how he justifies starting on the right of midfield I'm just can't understand.

In all my time watching Liverpool I've never seen a more limited untalented uncreative right midfielder than Dirk Kuyt ya he works hard so F***ing what a right midfielders job is to create chances and get crosses in.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #233: Mar 12, 2010 11:40:21 am
      Still too gutted to comment
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #234: Mar 12, 2010 11:59:08 am
      Join the club mate
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #235: Mar 12, 2010 12:06:07 pm
      I don't think we deserved anything against Wigan but I think defeat last night was a little harsh.

Babel and Torres both should have scored first half.  

The problem is the lack of our scoring.  Even a 2-1 defeat would have been better than losing 1-0.  I can see us needing 3 at home, which at the minute is a big ask - funny though because we won 1-0 in the last round at home and everyone was saying it wasn't enough.

I think the fans now don't just want us to get back to grinding results out - but we're almost demanding annihilation of other teams - and I just can't see that happening.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #236: Mar 12, 2010 12:11:54 pm
      Didn,t know where to put this it,s a good a place as any ,on the official site Nando is nearly there his pace is returning ,like that one, and the other beauty that is just one of several positives Rafa took from the game , you got to laugh .

In no particular order could anyone else point out these positives perhaps we are all missing something .You got to admire Rafa,s cheek mind given his knowledge of the club and its fan,s how did he think he could bullshit us with a statement like that.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #237: Mar 12, 2010 12:20:43 pm
      I said it in the 1-0 loss to Wigan, and again I can't be arsed to watch the highlights of another supposedly garbage game.

These players are earning 100K per week, win, draw or lose they go back home and still are 100K richer every week. They've got the ability to do almost about anything they can do on earth. How can 100k be justified when they can't even give a good performance? Are they showing respect to the shirt and to the fans? Are they doing themselves any good? If I was the manager I'll fine each and every one of them a month's wages to wake up their bloody ideas. That money isn't so easily earned. That they reap what they sow. That if they want to earn their gross, they play 200% for the shirt every game.

It works that way. You don't give your effort, why should I pay you the money?
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #238: Mar 12, 2010 12:57:29 pm
      I wonder if Gerrard is playing for a sale at the end of the season. If he plays as badly as he has been playing for the past few months, maybe he hopes that Liverpool supporters will be that fed up with his performances that they think he wont be missed, so he can go to Real Madrid, (or Man City  or Chelsea) You will note already there are voices saying that it might be worth selling him while we can get good money for him. (Not from this quarter by the way!)
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #239: Mar 12, 2010 12:59:37 pm
      It works that way. You don't give your effort, why should I pay you the money?

I have for the first time in years looked at my tickets for next week (both Pompey and Lille) and thought to myself, do I actually want to put myself through this torture and agony for the cost of £80-ish? Why should I pay for those overpaid tossers to piss me off for 90 mins and look like they don't give a sh*t?

Its been bubbling all season but I have kept the faith and gone to every game regardless, but how much longer am I expected to turn up to our ground and watch inadequacy.  How has it gone from nice play and scoring for fun, to playing like a pub team and caring less?

Fed up of going into work and being laughed at.  Seems to be most weeks now.

I've kept my mouth shut for most of of the season because of disapointment after disapointment. I will always be a diehard Red, I just don't think I can justify paying my hard earned money to the club anymore unless something drasitically changes.

yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #240: Mar 12, 2010 01:09:36 pm
      I wonder if Gerrard is playing for a sale at the end of the season. If he plays as badly as he has been playing for the past few months, maybe he hopes that Liverpool supporters will be that fed up with his performances that they think he wont be missed, so he can go to Real Madrid, (or Man City  or Chelsea) You will note already there are voices saying that it might be worth selling him while we can get good money for him. (Not from this quarter by the way!)
      Unfortunately Gerrard is coming to the end of his 'sell by' date.  Being brutally honest, there is no way on Earth anyone could turn what we have in terms of playing staff at the moment into a championship winning side, so maybe he wants to jump somewhere where he might win something......who knows.  IMHO even if we win every game between now and the end of the season, it would only be papering over the cracks.  I can see Rafa going to Real Madrid with them stumping up for any compensation
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #241: Mar 12, 2010 01:49:58 pm
      10 years in the first team giving his all fantastic memories and occasions ,one bad run and certain fans want to bin him get real people ,a couple of lines our Stevie could well do with reading

IF YOU CAN KEEP YOUR HEAD
                         WHEN ALL ABOUT ARE LOSING THEIRS
                         AND BLAMING IT ON YOU
                         IF YOU CAN TRUST YOURSELF WHEN ALL MEN DOUBT YOU
                         BUT MAKE ALLOWANCES FOR THEIR DOUBTING TOO.

This was read out on the eve of istanbull on sky it served us well perhaps a few could do with a read.   
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,203 posts | 1644 
      Reply #242: Mar 12, 2010 01:50:19 pm
      Where the f**k are you Gerrard? Where are you? Lets be having you! FFS Sh*te bunch of cu*ts
      Delia Smith is on the forum  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3864 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #243: Mar 12, 2010 01:53:10 pm
      Roll on Portsmouth 4-1 but only if Kyrgiakos, Aquilani and Pacheco get some game time.
      I don't even want to talk about the last few games anymore. It's tiresome
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #244: Mar 12, 2010 01:55:07 pm
      Roll on Portsmouth 4-1 but only if Kyrgiakos, Aquilani and Pacheco get some game time.
      I don't even want to talk about the last few games anymore. It's tiresome

agreed, a poor poor week but lets just hope its a blip and look forward to monday
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,281 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #245: Mar 12, 2010 02:29:15 pm
      Two absolute crap performances yet the tactics stay the same, shocking it looks like the players no longer want to play for Rafa
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #246: Mar 12, 2010 03:19:28 pm
      The crazy thing is I'm not really looking forward to the Portsmouth match. I expect us to win by the odd goal and struggle like all season to create anything especially if we have the same midfield pairing and Kuyt on the right.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3864 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #247: Mar 12, 2010 03:28:54 pm
      What we have to understand,is that this club is in turmoil.We have ownership issues,a manager who is undermined not only by his personal tactics and team selection,but also by an unprecedented injury list, and no transfer budget to work with.I personnally am now at the stage when I wish Rafa to do one,for no other reason that the man is showing signs of health problems.Rafa's a great manager,but currently we are not a great club.So now is the time for all you supposedley "real" Liverpool fans,to come up with a managerial alternative.If you'r big enough,come out the closet,ir do us all a favour and fucck of.

This for me is 100%
      Rafa should for his own health drop what has become a poisoned chalice.
      I said it before... it has gotten to the stage where the club in its current circumstance will only destroy Benitez.
      He is a true football man and will, given the chance with proper investment(Citeh have unvealed plans for a 1bn redevelopment by the way) bring some club long term success. My only fear is that the club in question wont be Liverpool unless this summer brings some radical changes.
      I'll be staying away from all things football this weekend and watching the F1. Hopefullly my prediction comes true and we spank Portsmouth 4-1 but I won't be putting any money on it.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #248: Mar 12, 2010 04:03:31 pm
      What I want to see is a team of players that are demanding the ball. A team that knows where all of his team mates are and where they will be. A team that when they are on the ball actually look for openings all the time and try slide the ball past the opponents defense instead of being cowardly and going back to our defenders constantly. Quit this 2 man holding midfield and get two central midfielders (give Aquilani something to do!) All of this just reminds you of one team, Barcelona. What team are currently copying Barca? Arsenal are, and how are they doing? Even without Van Persie and playing without Fabregas right now.

You can say trying to copy a team is bad, but realistically you can't. Playing the way the the European Champs do we can do, we have the same types of players

Better goalkeeper by miles

Johnson can attack as well, if not better than Alves, but just can't defend as well.
      Kyrgiakos is like Pique, both big, can attack and can defend brilliantly. Although Kyrgi isn't a starter, he's our best CB, imo.
      Alongside Agger is our current best at the back at the moment, in my eyes Agger is better than that fat Puyol boy.
      Insua at left back? Damn that's a blow. Barca have Maxwell and Abidal for theres, where they have an upper advantage on us.

Mascherano is the world's best defensive midfielder and is why Barca want him, way better than Bushquets and Toure.

At the current time you'd argue that Iniesta and Xavi are better than any of our midfielders, but give Aquilani a run out in a position that they play in, always going forward helping the attackers, the boy would perform. Alongside Gerrard and hopefully getting more from our "Captain" could reignite his flair.

Do we have a Messi on our team? A play who's quick on the ball, can take on players and play either left, center and right? We do have one, maybe not the most stable and much bigger than Messi, but I could see this helping his game, Babel has been really let down by Benitez in his Liverpool career, I feel for him and would love to see him in this kind of position, going into the center when attacking and letting Gerrard roam to the right, creating a big attacking threat for us. If all fails, Pacheco can also do that job and has the height to pass for a Messi and has Barca blood in him.

Henry and Pedro are currently battling it out for the left of Barca's attack at the moment, both talented, but can we match? Benayoun, Riera, Maxi? Personally I'd go for Yossi and the reason is simple, playing on the left on the Barca team simply means you're going to be switching over alot, going central most of the time when attacking, allowing the left back to overlap you and making more options available when in possession. Riera can't do this, he's a winger and just a winger. Maxi could do this, but yet to see any real ability from him at all this season.

Upfront Torres could benefit from this system because he's a play that can score goals the way Ibrahamovic is made to, getting the ball in the box and skinning players to take a shot is what Torres can easily do and can see this working great for him, not only that but with Gerrard and Aquilani always looking for that good run from our number 9, both have the ability to make that pass.

Will this ever happen? No, but fun to think about.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #249: Mar 12, 2010 06:49:11 pm
      I feel like a fleixble diamond formation would work well for us, similar to that old AC Milan formation.

Reina

Johnson      Sotis/Skrtel         Agger           Insua/Aurelio

Mascherano

Maxi/Yossi                               Babel/Riera

Gerrard/Aquilani

Torres                 Pacheco

I like the flexibility it provides, and the most important player in my eyes in this formation is the DM, and we have arguably the best DM in the world. Why not put a system in that puts our 3 best players in spots where they can thrive? Stevie is great linking with Torres, and Aquilani would be too. You could even make the second striker another person in the hole, allowing Aquilani on to the pitch. It also allows Johnson room on the right to roam, and if Aurelio comes back, we have a willing crosser on the left with a fabulous left foot. I'm no coach but I feel like this formation could fit in to the players we have. It is definitely boss in FIFA  ;D >:D
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #250: Mar 12, 2010 07:45:49 pm
      Im baffled by Rafa's substitutions. He takes off Babel, our biggest threat all night and replaces him with a player who couldn't beat Unirea Urziceni's RB. Then with 3 mins left he brings on El Zhar for Kuyt who has only made 1 sub apperance all season vs Blackburn. I've tried to stick up for him in the past but he's just lost it, get Rafa out!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #251: Mar 12, 2010 09:42:35 pm
      It was 1 small step up fom the Wigan game but still dire. Don't expect anything from Monday's game or next Thursdays. The  players seem to have lost belief in each other. Once the in side bickering starts that's a sign the end is not far away. Rafa continues to play out of form players who continue to dissapoint week after week, and you can see the more senior players are not happy. The subs who should be given their chance from the start are only given 15 or so minutes and the tactics are too defensive. The build up is so slow, mediocre teams are allowed to get two rows of four players between our midfield and our lone striker. No body knows how to break that down and we are truly floundering. We look like a buch of amatures, playing at the wrong level, who have been the whipping boys for most of the season and are just going through the motions to get to the end of the season as soon as poss. People talk of getting rid of Gerrard. I don't think that will be needed, I'm sure he will be on his way at the end of the season. He may keep it quiet until after the world cup but don't be surprised. He looks like a player who has already made up his mind.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #252: Mar 12, 2010 11:56:28 pm
      No one to blame but the manager. This team was good enough to beat anyone last season but this season they could loose even to a local sunday league team? They come every week playing the same negative sh*t again and again and Rafa is NOT sorting it out!

Quick Reply