Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Training or LACK of for English youth

Read 933 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Training or LACK of for English youth
      Mar 13, 2010 07:02:17 am
      Their was a real poignant article in 4-4-2 a few months back which stated that the current state of the Youth program and developmental academies are so far and below that of Italy,Spain,France even the US that the English players are not getting the proper training and coaching that they had received in the past.

Which leads me to believe that the future of this league is in trouble,  You can always sign contracts with foreign born players but the soul of the entire EPL should be based on home grown talent and local players playing for their local club. And it seems that is not going to happen in the next 10-15 years.  The English youth and kids from 8-12, which are the most Important years in fundamental teaching of the game are not being taught correctly, Whether its loss of money and revenues. Academies not hiring quality staff or what, but its eventually going to no longer be the "English Game". 

I think if anything thats the real problem with Football today. I think it was last season in the Final EPL game when Man U clinched that not one player who started the match was an English Born player the first time in over 120 years that happened.  Thats a disturbing fact.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Training or LACK of for English youth
      Reply #1: Mar 13, 2010 07:46:59 am
      It's clear that Spain, Italy etc are ahead of England when it comes to developing local young players. How many players in La Liga are Spanish compared to the number of English players in the PL. Same with Italy.

I can't see England winning the world cup again until they sort this out. No doubt there are quality footballers in England, but their talents need to be nurtured if they are to succeed.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Training or LACK of for English youth
      Reply #2: Mar 18, 2010 03:48:45 pm
      I think the problem with English academies is that some clubs expect to sign a young lad to their academy and not have to improve their ability i.e. their ability was pre-cooked elsewhere and the academy just gives them a platform to perform. I live in Ireland. I know two lads who have went onto English academies in the past 2 years, one to Colchester United and another to Carlisle United. The one that went on to Colchester was always a good player but one that clearly needed to improve in some areas e.g distribution of the ball and strength. He went over very keen to learn. I recently heard, however, that he has not be offered a pro-contract. He partly blames the club as he says the training was inadequate and he himself admits that he dosen't feel like a better player despite being over their for nearly 2 years.

On the otherhand, the one who went to Carlisle has come on leaps and bounds. He was always a very good player and a natural born leader. He has since played in the Carlisle United first team and also play for the Northern Ireland U21s and U19s. Apparently, Carlisle are known to have very good facilities and great coaches and he feels that his game had improved drastically. As a result, i would argue that the development of a player depends mainly on the club the player goes to.

Quick Reply