Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

On This Day.......

Read 8862 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: On This Day.......
      Reply #46: Jun 27, 2009 07:56:09 pm
      Milan Baros fired home a superb brace as the Czech Republic hammered Denmark in the quarter-finals of Euro 2004.
      The Reds striker followed up Jan Koller's second-half opener with a smart double to clinch a 3-0 win and ensure he had found the target in his sixth consecutive international match.

Elsehwere on this day in LFC history John Barnes, Steve McMahon and future red Mark Wright all played as England beat Belgium 1-0 in Bologna to reach the Quarter-finals of the World Cup Italia 90.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #47: Jun 28, 2009 01:52:57 am
      Good one, I remember I was standing outside a theatre in adelaide waiting for my girlfriend at the time to come out after performing for her school, having a smoke and I decided to check the news on my phone. Saw we had signed Torres, and having had him as a vital part of my Fifa 05 squad at the time, was quite happy :D

I love this about Fernando's signing especially where it says

He went on to break the record for most Premier League goals scored by a foreigner in a debut season when he plundered his 24th in the final match of the season at Spurs. It was his 33rd in all-competitions in what was a sensational first campaign with the Reds.

When i was in the pub with me mates all Man utd fans they were given me all this he's not a 20 goal season striker
      his goal ratio is poor for a striker with that kind of price tag etc etc.

I said we'll see at the end of the season when he's surrounded by better players in a better Team competing in a better league i bet you he'll  make you eat them words

and Oh my how he did

Then his nice little rejection of the  Mancs overtures made them eat their words even more last week when they were giving it the we'll sign him if we want Him fergie's got all the money from from Ronaldo sale and your in financial difficulties. Down the pub again over a few pints

The boy is just sheer class is our Nando and Is everything you want from a foreign player Quality Loyal  Committed & Respectful to the Club & Fans I just wana give him a Man Hug

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #48: Jun 28, 2009 03:36:25 am
      I love this about Fernando's signing especially where it says

He went on to break the record for most Premier League goals scored by a foreigner in a debut season when he plundered his 24th in the final match of the season at Spurs. It was his 33rd in all-competitions in what was a sensational first campaign with the Reds.

When I was in the pub with me mates all Man utd fans they were given me all this he's not a 20 goal season striker
      his goal ratio is poor for a striker with that kind of price tag etc etc.

I said we'll see at the end of the season when he's surrounded by better players in a better Team competing in a better league I bet you he'll  make you eat them words

and Oh my how he did

Then his nice little rejection of the  Mancs overtures made them eat their words even more last week when they were giving it the we'll sign him if we want Him fergie's got all the money from from Ronaldo sale and your in financial difficulties. Down the pub again over a few pints

The boy is just sheer class is our Nando and Is everything you want from a foreign player Quality Loyal  Committed & Respectful to the Club & Fans I just wana give him a Man Hug

He was 50 goals per season in my fifa squad :D
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      On this day.. King Kenny signs in!
      Reply #49: Aug 10, 2009 08:48:59 am
      THE KING SIGNS IN

Bob Paisley brought in a man who would go on to become the undisputed King of the Kop on this day in 1977

Celtic's Kenny Dalglish was quite rightly regarded as the finest player in Scotland, and on inheriting Kevin Keegan's No.7 shirt he set about establishing himself as the best in England.

Over the next 14 years he would serve the Reds as both a player and a manager, notching 172 times in 515 games and picking up a whole host of silverware.

It was yet another example of Paisley's prudence in the transfer market and he later reflected on how he had struck gold with one the Reds' most famous sons.

He said: "I just hoped that after the trials and tribulations of my early years in management, someone up high would smile on me and guide my hand.

"My plea was answered when we got Kenny Dalglish. What a player, what a great professional."

Here is the great man's career in numbers:

£440,000 pounds. That's how much Bob Paisley paid Celtic in August 1977. Dalglish was brought to the club to replace Kevin Keegan after his move to Hamburg

30,461 fans turned out for The King's testimonial at Anfield in 1990, helping raise in the region of £150,000 gate receipts. The Reds beat Real Sociedad 3-1

836 club games

515 Liverpool appearances

339 club goals

321 Celtic appearances

307 games in charge at Anfield

259 games to score 100 league goals

180 consecutive first-team appearances between 1977-78 and 80-81

172 Liverpool goals

167 Celtic goals

102 caps. On becoming the first Scot to make a century of appearances, Dalglish was presented with a silver cap by Franz Beckenbauer

97 minutes to score his first Liverpool goal. After failing to get on the scoresheet in the Charity Shield against Man Utd, King Kenny netted just seven minutes into his league debut versus Middlesbrough

41 goals for Celtic in 1972-73

38 years old when he played his last game for Liverpool, coming on as a sub for Jan Molby against Derby County in May 1990

37 games unbeaten as Liverpool manager from August 1987 to February 1988

37 goals for Cumbernauld United, Celtic's nursery side, during the 1967-68 season.

31 goals in his first season at Anfield

30 goals for Scotland - a record shared with Denis Law

23 goals in just 49 appearances during his first season as a regular at Celtic

19 pieces of major silverware in the Anfield trophy room, accumulated in just 13 seasons

15 Wembley appearances as a Liverpool player

15 years old when he first had a trial at Liverpool in 1966. He played in a B team match against Southport, but no transfer transpired

10 major trophies with Celtic

8 league championships with Liverpool; five as a player, three as player/manager

7 was The King's number

4 Manager of the Year awards with Liverpool and Blackburn

3 European Cup winner's medals

3 World Cups. He would have played in four had a knee injury not kept him out of Mexico '86

2 FA Cup final victories over Everton

2 Football Writers' Player of the Year awards

2 hat-tricks for Liverpool, against Wrexham and Man City

1 MBE

1 red card, against Benfica in 1984-85

1 Kenny Dalglish

Where once we watched, the King Kenny play! (and could he play!)

;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: On this day.. King Kenny signs in!
      Reply #50: Aug 10, 2009 09:49:27 am
       I remember it well when Bob Paisley signed Kenny Dalglish.When Keegan left we thought he was irreplaceable but  Bob Paisley knew 100% what he was signing when he signed Kenny.I would say that if Keegan had stayed and Kenny never signed we would not of had the successes we had in the 1970s and 80s.This is not a slur on Keegan by the way as I had the highest regard for him as a player.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Re: On this day.. King Kenny signs in!
      Reply #51: Aug 10, 2009 10:18:33 am
      All Hail King Kenny!!! xo
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #52: Aug 10, 2009 02:05:03 pm
      Topic merged.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #53: Oct 31, 2009 10:22:32 am
      On this day ...

YNWA is number one
      1963 - "You'll Never Walk Alone" by Gerry & The Pacemakers reached number one in the UK singles chart. It stayed there for four weeks, before being replaced by The Beatles' "She Loves You".

Rafa's century
      2006 - Rafael Benítez named an unchanged side for the first time in exactly a century of games as we beat Girondins de Bordeaux 3-0 to secure a place in the knock-out phase of the Champions League with two games remaining, thanks to a Luis García brace and a first reds goal of the season from Steven Gerrard. Fernando Menegazzo was sent off for the visitors, with Istanbul hero Vladimír Šmicer confined to the stands due to injury.

Stevie again
      2007 - Steven Gerrard netted in his third consecutive game to win the game, with Nabil El-Zhar bagging his first, and so far only, reds strike from distance as we beat Cardiff City 2-1 in a Carling Cup Fourth Round tie at Anfield, with Robbie Fowler returning with the Bluebirds. Teenage centre-back Jack Hobbs made his first start in this game, while Argentine winger Sebastián Leto played his fourth and final reds game.

Harry's debut
      1936 - Right-half Harry Eastham made his reds bow in our 2-1 First Division defeat of Arsenal at Anfield, with Jack Balmer and Fred Howe on the scoresheet. He only made 68 reds appearances, as his career was interrupted by the Second World War.

Seeing off Sion
      1996 - We beat Swiss side Sion 6-3 at home after falling two behind, to progress to the Third Round of the European Cup Winners' Cup 8-4 on aggregate. No other team has scored more at Anfield in European competition. Robbie Fowler grabbed a brace, while Steve McManaman, Stig Inge Bjørnebye, John Barnes and Patrik Berger also struck that night.

We have twice faced Manchester United on this day in history, losing both meetings.
      1964 - We were beaten 2-0 in a First Division game at Anfield.
      1990 - We lost a League Cup Third Round tie 3-1 at Old Trafford, with Ray Houghton grabbing our late consolation.

We have also twice faced Manchester City on this day, although we won one of these encounters.
      1942 - Cyril Done netted a brace and Willie Fagan also on the scoresheet as we secured a 3-1 Wartime League victory at home.
      1903 - We lost 3-2 in a top-flight meeting at Hyde Road when Arthur Goddard and Jack Parkinson struck, our first ever defeat to them after nine previous meetings.

End of the Anfield Iron
      1980 - Tommy Smith announced his retirement from the game due to injury. He had won four League titles, two FA Cups, two UEFA Cups, European Cup, UEFA Super Cup and two FA Charity Shields in his time with Liverpool, netting 48 times in 638 games, and finished his career at Swansea City.

We have faced Sunderland three times on this day in history, without being beaten.
      1925 - We were held to a 2-2 top-flight draw at Anfield when Harry Chambers and Dick Forshaw struck for the reds.
      1959 - We also drew at Roker Park in a Second Division match, with Roger Hunt grabbing our goal.
      1981 - Our most recent meeting on this day ended in a 2-0 victory on Wearside, with Graeme Souness and Terry McDermott on the scoresheet.

First caps
      2000 - Red Alberto Aquilani won his first cap for Italy Under-16's as they beat Portugal 2-1.

New deals
      2003 - Jamie Carragher and Chris Kirkland both signed new contracts until 2007 and 2009, respectively. Carra of course remains at the club, while Kirkland was sold to Wigan Athletic in October 2006.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #54: Mar 15, 2010 12:27:18 pm
      Bump!!

Happy Birthday LFC.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #55: Mar 15, 2010 12:32:17 pm
      Not good I can remember the centenary celebrations then. ;)

Happy 118th Birthday to the World's greatest religion.
      Evo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #56: Mar 15, 2010 12:49:53 pm
      Happy 118th Birthday to the World's greatest religion.
      I'll second that!

Happy birthday LFC.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #57: Mar 15, 2010 12:52:15 pm
      Happy birthday LFC

Love always

Brian

x x x

;D
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #58: Mar 15, 2010 01:21:29 pm
      I fell in love with this man's passion for football from the first moment I found about him and all I can say is what a great man!!! I am so proud he is part of our history. I only wish one day we'll live to see another man like him in our club.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #59: Mar 15, 2010 05:38:39 pm
      Happy Birthday L.F.C!!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpoolwz0:
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #60: Mar 15, 2010 10:32:13 pm
      On This Day....

1892 - Everton vote to move away from Anfield...paving way for 118 years of the Bluesh*te being the 3rd best team in the City ;D ;D ;D ;D

IN other, less important events round the world -

1877 - 1st Test Cricket match between England and Australia
      1906 – Rolls-Royce Limited is incorporated.
      1916 – President Woodrow Wilson sends 12,000 United States troops over the U.S.-Mexico border to pursue Pancho Villa.
      1926 – The dictator Theodoros Pangalos is elected President of Greece without opposition.
      1939 –: German troops occupy the remaining part of Bohemia and Moravia; Czechoslovakia ceases to exist.
      1943 – World War II: Third Battle of Kharkov – the Germans retake the city of Kharkov from the Soviet armies in bitter street fighting.
      1952 – In Cilaos, Réunion, 73 inches of rain falls in one day, setting a new world record.
      1961 – South Africa withdraws from the Commonwealth of Nations.
      1985 – The first Internet domain name is registered (symbolics.com).
      1989 – The United States Department of Veterans Affairs is established.
      1990 – Iraq hangs British journalist Farzad Bazoft for spying.
      1990 – Mikhail Gorbachev is elected as the first executive president of the Soviet Union.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #61: Mar 15, 2010 10:51:15 pm
      I think it was meant to be that we played football like it's meant to be played on the day the club was born.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #62: Mar 15, 2010 10:54:30 pm
      On this day Rafa Benitez won his first Monday night game for Liverpool FC.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #63: Mar 15, 2010 10:54:46 pm
      On this day we handed Pompey's arse to them.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #64: Mar 15, 2010 11:44:35 pm
      On This Day....

1892 - Everton vote to move away from Anfield...paving way for 118 years of the Bluesh*te being the 3rd best team in the City ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tight asses refused to pay the rent, typical small club!!

Quick Reply