Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Beckham out of World Cup 2010

Read 1699 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Beckham out of World Cup 2010
      Mar 14, 2010 11:07:29 pm
      Beckham out of WC 2010

England midfielder David Beckham has torn his Achilles tendon, according to AC Milan manager Leonardo, and his hopes of playing at the World Cup would appear to be over.

The on-loan 34-year-old hobbled out of the late stages of Milan's victory over Chievo on Sunday night after pulling up when unchallenged.

Beckham signalled to the bench that he needed to come off, despite Leonardo having used all of his substitutes, and the Milan manager has now said that the veteran has torn his Achilles tendon.

"David's injury gives us pain", Leonardo told Sky Italia. "It's an important injury. He immediately said it (the tendon) was broken. He immediately understood it was an important problem."

A Sky Italia television reporter on the San Siro touchline said Beckham had told the bench, "It's broken, it's broken" as he was stretchered off with his head in his hands.

Beckham had joined Milan on loan from Los Angeles Galaxy in order to boost his chances of impressing England boss Fabio Capello ahead of this summer's World Cup, which kicks off in June.

Extraordinary

The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star had already confessed earlier in the weekend that he did not believe he was guaranteed a place at the finals in South Africa.

"He is an extraordinary guy and today's game proves it yet again," Leonardo added. "I cannot enjoy this evening considering this serious injury."

Capello is understood to have spoken with Beckham on Sunday night to commiserate over the injury, while England assistant Franco Baldini has also been in contact and Milan's players are in shock.

"Beckham is not well," said midfielder Ignazio Abate. "To see him suffer like that has really touched us."

Clarence Seedorf found it hard to celebrate his match-winning strike against Chievo.

"It's always ugly to be out because of an injury," said the Dutchman. "But it will mean that we will all need to give everything we have even for those who will not be with us.

"They deserve that for what they have done so far this season."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_6027576,00.html

Must be devastated.

Don't exactly see it as a major blow for England though. However - I still think we should take him along with us as a mentor etc - his experience, knowledge etc might come in handy?
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2010 12:18:42 am by JD »
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Re: Beckham out of World Cup 2010
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2010 11:10:48 pm
      Have to say I am absolutely gutted for the man. I saw him as, like you said, an important mentor and wise old head amongst a team which you could argue is lacking in.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Mar 15, 2010 12:11:18 am
      I am really saddened to see what happened tonight.  Deserved to go the World Cup, but it wasn't to be.

I've been watching his progress the past two years since he's been backwards and forwards to Milan to get himself back on the worlds stage and Capello's eye, who owes him big time after freezing him out and Beckham leading the line to win Real the title in the last game of the season.

I'm F***ing gutted.  He's 35 in May, plus an 8 month injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire...  What a F***ing shame.  Unlucky David.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #3: Mar 15, 2010 12:12:50 am
      I suppose it would have been a swan song to his career, but let's face it, England aren't going to win the World Cup anyway, and I'm not really arsed either way. Even if he would have went to the World Cup, he'd have been sat on the bench and would hardly have got a game. He wasn't coming on in the final to score the winner in the last minute. Nah, not having that.

It'll be a shame if it ends his career though. One thing he always has been is bounce-back-able. Always seems to have overcome his critics. Fair play to him for that. The manc c**t.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #4: Mar 15, 2010 12:18:40 am
      Devastated for him to be honest, as much as he is a dirty manc tw**, I respect him as a player and a person. He has had a up and down career for different reasons and I think he would of announced retirement after the world cup anyway.

Unlucky David and hope you recover well. (Wont play football again I think.)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #5: Mar 15, 2010 12:35:47 am
      Boofuckinghoo.

One less media circus following the England squad around.
      Y.N.W.AScouseJayY.N.W.A
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 15, 2010 12:36:04 am
      Devastated for Beckham, gutted he wont be in the England squad, it takes three months to recovery & four-five months to be fully fit, it happend to him again, he was not fully fit after suffering a broken metatarsal in Japan and South Korea World Cup. So he be 50/50, hope he gets in the squad but it wont happen.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #7: Mar 15, 2010 09:10:56 am
      He was only going to warm the bench anyways. He'll just be demoted to the tea maker now.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #8: Mar 15, 2010 09:17:19 am
      Why the big fuss - he wouldnt have started anyway - one of the most over-rated players of the last 10 years.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #9: Mar 15, 2010 10:17:54 am
      sorry for him but actually pleased that the whole Beckham circus won't be going to the world cup...

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Mar 15, 2010 11:44:20 am
      Agree with most here, he is 35 well past his prime and a bench warmer.

Could be a blessing in disguise for England.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #11: Mar 15, 2010 06:30:22 pm
      Anyone else sick to death of hearing about Beckham on SSN, you'd think the Queen had died the amount of coverage its getting.  All day its been going blah, blah, blah, blah...........

And you know what's going to happen, he'll be up and about in a few weeks back playing for LA Galaxy  :roll:
      bighunt
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 15, 2010 06:42:21 pm
      As a fan of soccer (yes, I'm american), it sucks to see beckham go down in the way that he did. Will it hurt england's chances this summer? i don't think so, but a guy like Beckham on the squad would have been an invaluable asset.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Mar 15, 2010 06:45:00 pm
      Why the big fuss - he wouldnt have started anyway - one of the most over-rated players of the last 10 years.

That.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #14: Mar 15, 2010 06:48:36 pm
      I feel for the fella because he was so determined to go but on the other hand England have only lost a fringe player and it now means we'll probably take a younger, fitter player in his place.

Could be a blessing.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #15: Mar 15, 2010 08:55:14 pm
      What a shame...we will never win the world cup now :roll:
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #16: Mar 15, 2010 10:36:02 pm
      Who gives a fuc* about the plastic knob. He is Jordan with a dick.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #17: Mar 15, 2010 10:55:51 pm
      As a fan of soccer (yes, I'm american), it sucks to see beckham go down in the way that he did. Will it hurt england's chances this summer? I don't think so, but a guy like Beckham on the squad would have been an invaluable asset.

He is a manc twa* and is in love with dosh. You will not know this because you are a yank. Never mind. Go to theScumfarm one day and make your own mind up.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #18: Mar 15, 2010 11:36:52 pm
      I dont understand all the news about this.  So what.  Yeah I feel bad he missed out on a 4th World Cup but their are some guys who would give their dick to play in 1 World Cup.

Is it a shock.Yeah. But, not a knock on England, If your pinning your Cup hopes on a 34 year old, Football has been, then your in trouble. Yes, Beckham still has skill but their are younger,faster and better all around players that can take his place.

Beckham is more about being "Beckham" than actually being a competitive footballer. Sorry.  Big show, little return.  I would take 10 Liverpool players over Beckham right now. I actually like the guy. He seems like an OK guy, good teammate, good player but his glory days are loooong ago.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #19: Mar 16, 2010 12:52:43 am
      Oh come on - I haven't spoken to one person today who isn't disappointed for him - and they were all Scottish!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Mar 16, 2010 08:00:27 am
      I'd like to pretend i give a F**k - most over-rated player of his generation.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #21: Mar 16, 2010 08:13:31 am
      What a lot of bollocks!!! When did you last hear about a 35 yr old playing his position at international level?
      Don't give a sh*t anyway if they win the world cup or F**k all.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #22: Apr 20, 2010 07:24:14 pm
      David Beckham is going to miss the World Cup??
      Cant he Sky+ it???
       :lmao:
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #23: Apr 21, 2010 12:40:09 pm
      It's only England says our vice-captain. Well, he could sell more England shirts even if he doesn't take to the pitch. I would still select him for that, but I will tell the press - He has lots of experience and can put in a decent cross and a deadly free kick.

Quick Reply