Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Maxi Rodriguez
      (5.7%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (73.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (17.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss

Read 22002 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss
      Reply #92: Mar 15, 2010 11:22:50 pm
      Great win for the lads and good spirit shown by all.

Aquilani was absolute class good to see him get his first goal at the Kop end as well.

Fans were a joke I could actually hear the Pompey fans on the box singing "This is a library"

LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #93: Mar 15, 2010 11:23:39 pm
      The line up was crucial from my point,Aquilani and Babel made all the difference,they improve our pace,passing,attacking options...oh...and they both scored ;)I'd love to see them both against Scumchester,but I'm afraid I'm gonna see Lucas and Kuyt instead >:(

I agree, they offered much more fluidity and speed of passing, which made up able to systematically break down an opponent who look to defend relentlessly - something we seem to have been having trouble with lately. I was particulary impressed with Babel tonight, he got his chance and he had a decent game, i still think he needs a few more performances like that under his belt before we get the 11.5 million out of him.

You say Lucas and Kuyt will play, but im not sure, i think we might see Lucas purely because against better opposition than Pompey we are not going to get the freedom we did tonight, it will be much more important to make sure we defend better, there were a few sketchy moments at the back today, and (hopefully) lucas can help sure this up, as for Babel i hope he plays, his pace and his final product (as long as he keeps it up) will tear nevile appart if he is playing RB
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #94: Mar 15, 2010 11:33:23 pm
      F***ing fantastic performance! Really disappointed in the "supporters", though. Four-f**king-hundred Pompey fans made more noise than the other 39,600? Shameful.

They didnt. I didnt hear them all game in The Kop. Not sure what the ESPN mic's made it sound like though.

Still, lots of whoppers in Anfield tonight. And alot of moaners, even at 4-0.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #95: Mar 15, 2010 11:34:43 pm
      I agree about the fan thing and definitely think the majority of them at the stadium were a joke tonight, we put in arguably one of the best performances of the season and 400 Portsmouth(a club in administration) fans can out sing us all night long. Some of these season tickets need to be evaluated as this season it's been a F***ing joke. What happened to you'll never walk alone? This isn't some plastic, flashy club, this is Liverpool FC and if you want to be a fan then you have to take all the lows, such as this season, with the highs. So get behind the team and go about your following day with a sore throat.

One thing I will say is that being from Preston, around an 1 and a half hour trip from Anfield, combined with the usual uncertainty about actually getting a ticket means I didn't go tonight, but had I known the place was going to be this dead I definitiely would have. Even though it costs me around £100 to go with my step dad, some people need to pull their finger out of their arse and stop taking weekly trips to Anfield for granted.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #96: Mar 15, 2010 11:34:58 pm
      Rodriguez looks like he has got a future at Anfield.

I thought Babel flattered to deceive, took his goal well but guilty of wasting chances and possession a few times.

Aquilani? Good.  All his best play came when he was further up the pitch.

I don't went to get too confident because it was Portsmouth.  Against someone decent playing such an attacking player alongside Mascherano could either leave Masch exposed or stifle Aquilani's play.

Now those people who watched us beat United at Old Trafford last year will know exactly what game we were playing and I'm not convinced going there with such an attacking line up would be a clever idea.

But I'd like to see something similar against Lille on Thursday at Anfield.

A good game - we could have had 8 if the referee hadn't have left his whistle at home.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #97: Mar 15, 2010 11:39:37 pm
      Rodriguez looks like he has got a future at Anfield.

I thought Babel flattered to deceive, took his goal well but guilty of wasting chances and possession a few times.

Aquilani? Good.  All his best play came when he was further up the pitch.

I don't went to get too confident because it was Portsmouth.  Against someone decent playing such an attacking player alongside Mascherano could either leave Masch exposed or stifle Aquilani's play.

Now those people who watched us beat United at Old Trafford last year will know exactly what game we were playing and I'm not convinced going there with such an attacking line up would be a clever idea.

But I'd like to see something similar against Lille on Thursday at Anfield.

A good game - we could have had 8 if the referee hadn't have left his whistle at home.

Or if we didn't get the penalty claims thrown away?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #98: Mar 15, 2010 11:39:58 pm
      Torres was our best player by a mile I thought. Ran with pace, always causing problems, scored twice and set up the other two. Well in lad.

Aquilani had a good game, took his goal well and played a lovely ball to Torres for his goal. A few sloppy errors though but those should iron out over time. Interesting to see how much game time he gets from now on.

Maxi was quality tonight I thought, passed it superbly, always on the run and showed good composure for the first goal.

Gerrard was decent, showed good fight but the passes didn't really come off. Babel was hit and miss too, good goal but wasted the ball a lot.

All in all, a good win and it was nice to see our strongest attacking team out there.

Roll on Thursday!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #99: Mar 15, 2010 11:40:50 pm
      Or if we didn't get the penalty claims thrown away?

Think thats maybe what he meant ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #100: Mar 15, 2010 11:43:54 pm
      Post Match Bliss indeed  :)

A very good team performance tonight, It was a pleasure to see the way we stroked the ball around the pitch, looking confident, the lads certainly seemed up for it and it's a pity we haven't played like that in some of the other games this season.

Made up for Aquilani, my man of the match, he was the difference tonight as was Maxi, he was all over the place.

Special mention to Martin Kelly, always nice to come on and make your League debut when the team is winning comfortably.

All in all a very satisfying performance and how nice would it be to carry that on to Thursday's game against Lille and Sunday's game against the mancs, absolutely no reason at all why not.

Same team please Rafa  ;D

Well done Liverpool, proud of you tonight.

I'm going to bed happy  :aaliverpoolwz0:
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #101: Mar 15, 2010 11:46:44 pm

Oh, yes. Forgot to mention that! Good job, young Kelly.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #102: Mar 15, 2010 11:47:30 pm
      His armband proved he was a Red...
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #103: Mar 15, 2010 11:47:40 pm
      Just got back from the game......... Really pleased to bash a few past somebody. Even if it was only pompey. Hope we can carry the confidence into the lille game and beyond.......
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #104: Mar 15, 2010 11:48:17 pm

Torres, Torres...
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #105: Mar 15, 2010 11:49:54 pm
      NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!111 (undo's CAPs lock)

Thats the kind of performancing i've been wanting to see since the start of the season. Thank you thank you thank you Rafa for finally picking a POSITIVE attacking team. Hopefully it'll stay like this for the rest of the season. I thought our worst player tonight was Gerrard. He had the most chances and yet I don't think he even got 1 on target Plus his work rate is no where near everyone elses. Torres tracks back so many times so why should he?

Everyone else though played excellent. Especially Aquilani. Nice to see him finally play with confidence and get all his passes correct and accurate. If him and Babel get dropped after that game then Rafa will have a lot to answer for.
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #106: Mar 15, 2010 11:50:11 pm
      They didnt. I didnt hear them all game in The Kop. Not sure what the ESPN mic's made it sound like though.

Still, lots of whoppers in Anfield tonight. And alot of moaners, even at 4-0.

Far to many Whoppers I had two next to me who didn't say a word all game, they couldn't of been watching the football cause we were up in the far reaches of block 306 bouncing to our hearts content. As for the comments about the noise level the Kop was loud tonight, loads of gaps everywhere else in the ground, maybe some of these moaning fans should make the trip and add to the atmosphere rather than listening to the espn mics !  :f_steam:
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #107: Mar 15, 2010 11:52:37 pm
      That vote for Babel was from me.Thought he edged it with, by his usual standards a gilt edge performance.That said there was some good stuff out there tonight.Read in an earlier post that Aquilani was getting time on the ball.Thats very true because as I've always suspected Raffa sees the BIG picture and Alberto rewarded him with that CLASS showing.
      Anyone hear Mark Wright say he (Aqui..)would'nt be suited to the Manc game FFS what has the lad got to do??.
      Anyway dead chuffed tonight and will defo sleep better now.Lille!!! BRING IT ON..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #108: Mar 15, 2010 11:53:42 pm
      Just watched their goal back again and Babel was the one who gave it away to them in a pretty stupid position.

Don't know who Carra was ranting and raving at though (it wasn't Babel) after it went in the net.  That pass back in should never have got past him.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #109: Mar 15, 2010 11:55:07 pm
      maybe some of these moaning fans should make the trip and add to the atmosphere rather than listening to the espn mics !  :f_steam:

Excuse my being thousands of miles away...  :roll:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #110: Mar 16, 2010 12:00:58 am
      Just watched their goal back again and Babel was the one who gave it away to them in a pretty stupid position.

Don't know who Carra was ranting and raving at though (it wasn't Babel) after it went in the net.  That pass back in should never have got past him.

Was moaning at Kelly I think? He was behind him and that's the direction Belhadj came from.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #111: Mar 16, 2010 12:02:29 am
      Just about to watch this on .tv. Cup of tea in my hand and ready for 1 of the performances of the season if the reviews on here are to go by. Alberto I will enjoy your role tonight :).
      yozz1982
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts |
      • http://kitster29.deviantart.com/
      Reply #112: Mar 16, 2010 12:02:51 am
      Excuse my being thousands of miles away...  :roll:

I am sure if you were over here Brooklyn Red you would give an arm and a leg to get to a game. I know I do whenever i get the chance.  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #113: Mar 16, 2010 12:06:25 am
      Excuse me not having loads of money to spend £80+costs this week on going to two games. I could afford one so I'm going to Thursday's game.  

Especially when I would have been sitting surrounded by some of the biggest tools in existence who will look at me like I have three heads if I try to sing.

I'll start buying cheaper food though so I can throw more money at our owners and make the match sound good on your TV.

:f_whistle:
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #114: Mar 16, 2010 12:06:25 am
      I am sure if you were over here Brooklyn Red you would give an arm and a leg to get to a game. I know I do whenever I get the chance.  ;)

I'll be there next season and if my vocal chords aren't torn to shreds, then I will have failed.

Cheers, buddy. Good on ya for being there and doing us proud.

Quick Reply