Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Guitarist Thread

Read 36216 times
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: The Guitarist Thread
      Reply #69: Jun 22, 2009 12:42:59 pm
      Only been playing for a year or so, am hoping to get a new guitar soon after I get my GCSE results :) I'm looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or a Fender Standard Tele. Can't decide which one to get though.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #70: Jun 22, 2009 02:23:33 pm
      My cousin has an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and I have a Fender Standard Tele as shown above ^.

I reckon they are both very similar in terms of quality but personally I prefer the Fender - I prefer the look of it and I think it's easier to play.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #71: Jun 22, 2009 02:40:03 pm
      Cheers for the opinion, how much did your Fender cost?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #72: Jun 22, 2009 06:02:48 pm
      Cheers for the opinion, how much did your Fender cost?

I actually really can't remember to be honest mate, I got a few years back as a present for good GCSE results. I chipped in too. It may have been about £250-300 but I really can't remember.

Remember though, it's just my opinion. Different people prefer different models of guitars.

Have you played either guitar yet? If not might I suggest that you get yourself down to a music store, they should be happy to let you try out both guitars. Then you will be able to see properly which one best suits you. That's what I did before purchasing the Fender, especially as it was going to set me and my parents back a bit. I played it through one of the amps in the store with headphones in, tried out everything and found it fantastic to play and the sound was brilliant.

Definately try before you buy though is my advice.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #73: Jun 22, 2009 07:08:14 pm
      But if you play like sh*t like me. How you gonna try it before you buy it. I just let the guy work at the shop tried for me. Haha.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #74: Jun 22, 2009 07:11:49 pm
      But if you play like sh*t like me. How you gonna try it before you buy it. I just let the guy work at the shop tried for me. Haha.

Well if you play sh*t then you shouldn't be buying an expensive guitar. Start with a cheap one and work your way up.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #75: Jun 22, 2009 07:22:06 pm
      What he said ^^^
      Cheers Ross, I'll go to my local and try their Epiphones but I don't think they have Teles, only Strats so I'll have to go to a different one anyway that has more stock. ;D I'm getting ym new guitar if I get good GCSE results too :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #76: Jul 27, 2009 04:30:02 pm
      Trying to think of something to learn...
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #77: Jul 27, 2009 04:36:04 pm
      I Caught Fire by The Used, Ross. Really easy intro.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #78: Jul 27, 2009 05:19:47 pm
      Learn some Maccabees tunes.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #79: Jul 27, 2009 06:18:05 pm
      By the way I recommend this piece of equipment:

Line 6 Gearbox.

A means to playing your guitar through your computer speakers - comes with a variety of effects. Loads of different amp models to choose from too. Very good.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #80: Jul 27, 2009 06:36:16 pm
      I second that, Line 6 equipment is generally excellent.

I have a rackmount Pod Pro 2.0 that i've had for years now and it's still going strong. Great gear :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #81: Aug 04, 2009 06:15:27 am
      Looking at picking up an acoustic to start learning. Never seemed to have the time the last few years, but always wanted to and have decided to make a real go of it. Thinking the Fender DG-8S seems like a decent one well priced to. I was wondering if anyone thinks it matters much to have an Electric-Acoustic or just begin with a straight acoustic?
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #82: Aug 04, 2009 05:38:29 pm
      It really doesn't matter.

An electro-acoustic obviously gives you the option of running your guitar through an amplifier so you can hear yourself better and use some effects if you like so personally i would opt for one of those as you've covered all your bases.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #83: Aug 05, 2009 07:48:39 am
      It really doesn't matter.

An electro-acoustic obviously gives you the option of running your guitar through an amplifier so you can hear yourself better and use some effects if you like so personally I would opt for one of those as you've covered all your bases.

No worries, cheers for the advice. Even though im beginning, the option of being able to run through an amp still seems like a good one to have i thought, as fingers crossed ill pick it up reasonably quick. Famous last words eh :D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #84: Sep 02, 2009 09:26:26 pm
      Just learnt Basket Case in full on guitar. Don't know why I haven't before now to be honest.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #85: Sep 02, 2009 09:54:20 pm
      Just learnt Basket Case in full on guitar. Don't know why I haven't before now to be honest.

Nice mate! One i wanna learn when i learn the Guitar. Hopefully getting one in the next couple weeks!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #86: Sep 02, 2009 11:21:57 pm
      Good stuff!

Electric? If so I really reccommend that Line 6 Gearbox I posted up there ^

Nothing expensive but great piece of equipment. Got practically everything you need. Plus saves you money on an amp at first.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #87: Sep 03, 2009 12:38:14 pm
      So you connect it to your computer and alter the setting from there? And it plays through your regular speakers?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #88: Sep 03, 2009 03:08:00 pm
      Basically, it has a USB cable that you plug into your computer. You then connect your guitar lead from your guitar to the port.

You need to install it with the CD that comes with, and then you have what is effectively a big program that allows you to use delays/distortion/loads of different modulations at the same time as being able to choose from a variety of amps and heads.

Really is great, and yeah it plays straight through your computer speakers which makes it pretty good playing along to songs etc.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #89: Sep 03, 2009 04:30:28 pm
      Nice, how much is it?

I've only seen it for about 65 quid...
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #90: Oct 19, 2009 05:08:18 pm
      Just checking in.

Nearly been 2 years since I've been playing, I'm a decent guitarist in my preferred style of Rock music, but I can't help but feel that I'm dragging my heels a little bit - that I could be learning a bit better, or pushing myself more.

I think this is called the middle stage (or what I'm calling it) where I've become able to play most of my favourite songs, but wanting to push that a bit futher.  Any tips you sexual fret shredders?

;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #91: Oct 19, 2009 11:04:02 pm
      Not sure how to help you there mate.

Is it that you don't think you're able to take it to that next level or is it motivation you're lacking?

Or is it basically that you don't know what to do now to become even better?

Quick Reply