Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

One For the Record Books

Read 938 times
      RedLFCBlood
      One For the Record Books
      Apr 19, 2010 12:55:43 pm
      Author Rock-N-Red

I don't know if anyone else has spotted the following but I thought that it would cheer people up!

It now looks pretty certain that we will not make that coveted fourth spot and I must admit that I find the prospect of being out of Europe’s top competition next year very disheartening. At least that was until I realised that we have the opportunity of cementing our place in European footballing history by taking part in the Europa League next season.

As things stand, Liverpool share the record for the most UEFA Cup/Europa League wins with Juventus and Inter Milan. Each club has three wins apiece. If we manage to win the trophy this year we would, of course, be top of the tree with four wins. This would set up a fantastic opportunity next season. Like the European Cup/Champions league the UEFA Cup can be won outright. This would happen if a club achieved three consecutive wins or a total of five wins. Unlike the European Cup, however, no team has ever won the UEFA Cup outright. Liverpool could become the first to achieve this accolade next year. As a consequence we would also be awarded the badge of honour for this competition becoming the first club to be awarded badges of honour for both the European Cup and the UEFA Cup. In summary the records we could gain by taking part in the Europa League next season are:

•   First Club to win the UEFA Cup Outright

•   First Club to be awarded the Badge of Honour for the UEFA Cup/Europa League

•   First and only Club to have won both major European trophies outright

•   First and only Club to have been awarded the badge of honour for both major European Competitions.

We would also be in the position of having won a total of 10 major European Trophies, which has only been bettered by Real Madrid.

It’s certainly one for the record books and whilst I would prefer to be in the top competition next year, I find the prospect of creating footballing history by achieving these records really exciting.

Just found this on another site, your thoughts ?

I guess its all pretty dependant on if we win it this year, but its something interesting to think about, considering what it adds to our history.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Re: One For the Record Books
      Reply #1: Apr 19, 2010 01:09:53 pm
      Glass half-full kind of man. I like it.

Obviously being in the Europa League is an extra chance to win silverware - that is what the club is all about.  But at present I'm not overly bothered whether we finish top four or even qualify for the Europa League next season.  I don't think it would have any impact whatsoever on staffing, new players or players leaving, that hasn't already been decided.

You could argue without European football we would have even more focus on the Premier League and ensuring we get back to where we belong.

New responsible owners is the most important target for Liverpool Football Club in the coming months.  Only then will a bright new dawn begin for the fans.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Apr 19, 2010 01:10:32 pm
      Its a nice romantic view. One thing though. Its dependant on us winning this years europa league. Which requires a lot of players to get their finger out now torres is out
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #3: Apr 19, 2010 01:11:18 pm
      Just more records and accolades for Liverpool's long and expanding cabinet. Great info there Red!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Apr 19, 2010 01:12:42 pm
      Id tend to agree that id nearlly we had no distractions and just focused on the premier league alla city and had a proper investor this summer
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #5: Apr 19, 2010 06:52:49 pm
      Liking this...But still...We should be trying to change FIVE to SIX really??
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 19, 2010 06:58:20 pm
      Our players need to wake up and smell the coffee this year first though.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #7: Apr 19, 2010 07:10:41 pm
      Our players need to wake up and smell the coffee this year first though.
      agreed.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Apr 19, 2010 07:17:51 pm
      I like it. Not that this cup is a shoe-in, though. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves :D

These are the kind of positives our fans should focus on though, instead of the doom and gloom crap.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #9: Apr 19, 2010 07:42:55 pm
      I would be absolutely delighted if we won the Europa League. I just want some silverware. We have to get past Atletico first though. Seeing your team win a trophy in my opinion is the best feeling you can experience as a fan. So I would be a very happy man if we manage to win the Europa League.

Then we do everything possible to rebuild through the following months.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 19, 2010 07:53:15 pm
      Good positivity in a time of much negativity, so for that fair play mate. However, i'd rather we were playing in the  champions league next season as we all do and challenging for the title. As we are not in that position atm i have to disregard everything else, i don't want to scrape around on the floor for a glimmer of hope. Let us be clear and realistic its been a terrible season, the management and the team need to learn from their mistakes, and move on, look to the future and next season's title challenge, and so do we the fans.

Quick Reply