Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool agree £20m fee with Valencia for Spain sensation David Silva

Read 4553 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Apr 01, 2010 01:05:40 am

The Telegraph

Liverpool have agreed a £20 million fee with Valencia to make Spain international midfielder David Silva  the replacement for the outspoken Albert Riera, who is expected to complete his £6 million move to Spartak Moscow on Friday night.

By Rory Smith
      Published: 11:26PM BST 31 MARCH 2010

Anfield bound: David Silva is set to join Liverpool after his club, Valencia this evening sensationally agreed a fee with the Merseyside club Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The 24 year-old will travel to Merseyside for a medical this week before signing a five-year contract at Anfield which will come into effect for the start of the 2010/2011 Premiership campaign,  Rafael Benitez seems to have moved swiftly to beat of  Silva’s suitors in agreeing the deal and also in finding Albert Riera’s successor.

Benitez said: “Silva is a very good player who I have admired for a very long time and I’m delighted we’ve reached agreement with Valencia for his transfer.

“Silva has a winning mentality and great experience in both Spain and Europe. He has long been seen as a top-class talent, playing for his country at under-19 and under-21 levels and become a European Champion on the International Stage in 2008.”

Silva, an elegant midfielder is most likely to be deployed as a direct replacement for Riera, however he is also capable of playing in the supporting role normally occupied by Steven Gerrard behind Fernando Torres,  David Silva made his professional debut in Segunda División 2004-05 at Segunda Divisións SD Eibar, on loan from Valencia CF, playing 35 league games and scoring on five occasions.

Liverpool opened talks with Valencia several weeks ago after Riera’s scathing verbal attack on Rafael Benitez, it is also believed that Riera assaulted one of Liverpool’s young Academy players.

Valencia have always said that Silva, a product of their academy after joining the club at the age of nine, would end his career at the Mestalla. But cash-strapped Valencia, who are in the midst of their very own financial difficulties, were unable to turn down Liverpool’s offer.

The Anfield club moved swiftly to finalise negotiations with the Los Che, once  Manuel Llorente the Valencia president, finally accepted Benitez’s £20 million offer on the player.

The Spanish international is expected to arrive in Liverpool early next week after being excused from Valencia’s next league game and is expected to be taken  immediately to Melwood, where it is expected he will pass his medical, before travelling to the Anfield to sign a four-year contract worth about £95,000-a-week.

He is expected to be introduced to his new team-mates on the afternoon and will then fly back to Spain to join up with Unai Emery’s squad at the Mestalla for the remainder of the Spanish season.

Silva is unlikely to mark the end of Benitez’s spending. Coupled with the possible 100 million investment from the Rhone Group  with 25 million being guaranteed for the transfer budget, the 20 million from the Standered Chartered sponsorship deal, the sales of Voronin Dossena and Riera and what ever else Rafael Benitez raises through player sales suggests Liverpool could be in for a very busy summer in the transfer market.  

However, he is believed to be keen to sign Javier Martinez following a long standing interest in the player and having him scouted at Atletico Madrid last Thursday, Athletic Bilbao are aware of Liverpool’s interest and it is believed a deal can be agreed as the club have a very good relationship Liverpool having signed Mikel San Jose and then loaning him back to the club.

Benitez remains interested in Valencia’s David Villa, while he has also been monitoring the development of Real Madrid’s Rauls contract situation. Reports in Italy that say Liverpool are also interested in signing Juventus striker Alessandro Del Piero are thought to be wide of the mark.

Whether finances will stretch sufficiently far to permit the £40 million signing of Villa, believed to be a target for Manchester United, or the £13 million required to bring in Martinez, is unknown as it seems that Liverpool are heavily reliant on the investment being completed.

Benitez intimated after the Signing of Silva that he will have enough in the kitty to add a further player to his squad without any major departures.

However, the club’s owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, may need to provide extra equity as part of their £237 million refinancing agreement with RBS and Wachovia if the investment is forthcoming, which may preclude any more big-money signings.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010 01:17:56 am by RedLFCBlood »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Liverpool agree £20m fee with Valencia for Spain sensation David Silva
      Reply #1: Apr 01, 2010 01:07:32 am
      Believe it when I see it.

Edit. b***ard. Got me.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Apr 01, 2010 01:08:25 am
      I'd like to believe this but oh wait a minute....it's April Fools day  :roll:

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #3: Apr 01, 2010 01:08:29 am
      April 1st is it :laugh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Apr 01, 2010 01:08:59 am
      I hate you.

:lmao:
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #5: Apr 01, 2010 01:09:04 am
      OMG i would love this to be true, but we have been linked with so many players so many times im not going to take everything without a rather large pinch of salt :D
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Apr 01, 2010 01:09:47 am
      I didn't even read the story before I posted!

If I'd seen the Rafa quotes I would've clocked!
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #7: Apr 01, 2010 01:09:56 am
      Haha i just read the comments above me... Dam midnight coming around to fast :(

Good one thou!! :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #8: Apr 01, 2010 01:15:33 am
      Hilarious.

Quick Reply