Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Our Woeful Away form 2009/2010

Read 3697 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Away From Home Form. WTF
      Reply #23: Mar 31, 2010 12:18:58 pm
      Simple we lack creativity in midfield.

Go check the individual Match Day statistics of the games we have lost away from home.

They will tell you.

1. We had the majority of Possession.

2. We had the territorial advantage.

3. The opposition had more shots on target, off target, blocked shots.

Thus showing for all we had the lions share in Possession and the territorial advantage we did not use the ball as creatively as the opposition in the attacking third, It's hardly rocket science.

1 shot on target against Fulham.

0 Shots on Target against Wigan.

Need I go on ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Our Woeful Away form 2009/2010
      Reply #24: Mar 31, 2010 12:25:51 pm

3. The opposition had more shots on target, off target, blocked shots.

Thus showing for all we had the lions share in Possession and the territorial advantage we did not use the ball as creatively as the opposition in the attacking third.

Could also indicate a long term problem in defence and attack due to injuries.
      In fairness most of our creative players have been injured for large chunks of the season and likewise the defense has chopped and changed due to injuries.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #25: Mar 31, 2010 12:29:45 pm
      4 of our 8 away defeats were against teams in the top four.

The Sunderland defeat was a dodgy affair.  Spurs simply outplayed us on the opening day at WHL.  The most disappointing defeats for me were Wigan and Portsmouth.

I also look at the likes of the Stoke game when we threw away two points due to some sloppy last minute defending.

Simple we lack creativity in midfield.

Need I go on ?
      To be fair though - that's not answering the question why our home form has improved from last year but our away form has deteriorated. I'm sure Lucas will get a mention at some point, but he's been playing at Anfield as well.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #26: Mar 31, 2010 12:34:26 pm
      4 of our 8 away defeats were against teams in the top four.

The Sunderland defeat was a dodgy affair.  Spurs simply outplayed us on the opening day at WHL.  The most disappointing defeats for me were Wigan and Portsmouth.

I also look at the likes of the Stoke game when we threw away two points due to some sloppy last minute defending.
      To be fair though - that's not answering the question why our home form has improved from last year but our away form has deteriorated. I'm sure Lucas will get a mention at some point, but he's been playing at Anfield as well.

I'm not going to mention Lucas at all other than this saying i'm not going to mention him.

Football is a simple game, you create more chances than the opposition you have every chance of winning.

You have the lions share of possession in games and territorial advantage yet create less chances than the opposition,  you have every chance of losing for not making your dominance with the ball pay.

Yes defending has cost us in games, but we be ruing them defensive errors had the team been creating enough chances ?

Chances are no..we my have conceded a goal or two but had we created enough chances in the game the law of averages says we'd have been bound to get a goal or two ourselves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #27: Mar 31, 2010 12:48:38 pm
      ^ I agree with the general football theory.

But it still doesn't answer the question relating to Liverpool?

Maybe Alonso used to stifle our play at Anfield?

I find it amazing that in such a poor season compared to last year we've actually improved at Anfield.  Surely with such a huge drop in the standard of away performances it would have been natural to expect our home form to worsen?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Mar 31, 2010 01:07:05 pm
      ^ I agree with the general football theory.

But it still doesn't answer the question relating to Liverpool?

Maybe Alonso used to stifle our play at Anfield?

I find it amazing that in such a poor season compared to last year we've actually improved at Anfield.  Surely with such a huge drop in the standard of away performances it would have been natural to expect our home form to worsen?

When you look at that way its baffling and perplexing to say the least.

Maybe when were playing at home the team has more impetus to go out and attack the team we are playing, bearing in mind many teams tend to sit off us and park the proverbial bus thus giving us the chance to pass the ball more freely and create more chances as with any team who's on the backfoot for the majority of game there will be a lapse in concentration.

Whereas when we go away from home the onus is on the home side to take the game to us, therefore they hurry harry and hussle for the ball and try and hit on us on the break when breaking up our play and to be honest it seems as though it has been used to good effect this season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #29: Mar 31, 2010 08:37:52 pm
      Following on from your last post gave me an idea - maybe because we have been so sh*t away this year - teams have come to Anfield with a little bit more (false) confidence.

So instead of trying to defend for 90 minutes they've had a go, and paid the price.

That's my only theory at the minute.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Mar 31, 2010 08:42:26 pm
      Following on from your last post gave me an idea - maybe because we have been so sh*t away this year - teams have come to Anfield with a little bit more (false) confidence.

So instead of trying to defend for 90 minutes they've had a go, and paid the price.

Could be about right. ;D

To be honest I can only really remember two teams really sitting off us at Anfield and whether they were or they just couldn't get hold of the ball is up for debate and that was Pompey and Sunderland.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #31: Mar 31, 2010 10:59:19 pm
      We try to sit back and nick the odd goal on the break away from home. We don't have the pace to do that which is why we haven't won often away.
      Tasonga
      • Forum Patrik Berger
      • Started Topic

• 198 posts | -8 
      Reply #32: Apr 01, 2010 02:18:25 am

Good theory.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #33: Apr 01, 2010 10:04:25 am
      We try to sit back and nick the odd goal on the break away from home. We don't have the pace to do that which is why we haven't won often away.

Simple but true. Not much need for an in depth analysis but i'll add to that the fact that by defending deep we are more likely to concede both free kicks around our box and corners....nuff said?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #34: Apr 02, 2010 12:14:29 pm
      It's Torres and Gerrard for me.

Both have gone missing for away games this season too often. Torres doesn't score enough away from Anfield full stop and Gerrard doesn't seem bothered away from Anfield.

Quick Reply