Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Fans to have part control of club (Wishful thinking or problem solved)

Read 1275 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,653 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Fans to have part control of club (Wishful thinking or problem solved)
      Mar 29, 2010 10:46:46 pm
      Watched yesterdays sit in protest finally get some coverage on bbc along with the news that labour are to unveil an options for fans to buy 25% of their club. Why stop there and can we bypass the yanks and deal exlusively with the banks. Will need some wealthy fans to help push this through
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010 01:04:51 pm by JD »
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Fans ownership stake
      Reply #1: Mar 29, 2010 10:48:10 pm
      The way im winning these football bets I will have a 0.25% share by tomorrow
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Re: Fans ownership stake
      Reply #2: Mar 30, 2010 02:32:18 am
      yeah, I saw that article, good news
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,653 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Fans to have part control of club(Wishful thinking or problem solved)
      Reply #3: Mar 30, 2010 12:16:28 pm
      Here's the article from the bbc website:

Government may offer fans chance to buy stake in clubs
      Fans could get an increased chance to influence the running of their club

Supporters could be given the chance to buy a stake in their club under radical proposals being considered by Labour in their election manifesto.

The party wants fans to have a bigger say in how clubs are run amid current concerns about debt in football.

That could include fans being offered a chance to buy a 25% stake in a club.

BBC sports editor David Bond said: "There's a feeling that football isn't quite working and that fans are getting a bit of a tough deal."

Government lawyers are trying to work out how to make the proposals work within the existing structure of the game.

The initiative comes amid increasing concern about the degree of debt at some Premier League clubs; foreign ownership of teams; and the perceived low levels of commitment from shareholders with little affinity with the clubs.

DAVID BOND BLOG

There might be more to this than a cheap election stunt sketched out on the back of a fag packet

The idea has been backed by Michel Platini, the president of European football's governing body, Uefa.

He said: "Personally, I think it is a great idea... that the supporters invest in a club because they at the end of the day defend the club's identity.
      "They (the fans) are always there. They are always watching the games."

The government is also said to be looking at an overhaul of the governance of football.

The Conservatives dismissed the proposals as a "gimmick" ahead of the general election, which is expected to be on 6 May.

Shadow sports minister Hugh Robertson said there were easier ways of increasing supporter influence in clubs such as by insisting on all clubs having at least one director to represent supporters.

"After 13 years of inactivity by the government on this issue this has all the hallmarks of a pre-election gimmick," said Robertson.

"There are massive, massive implications for company law and insolvency law."

Robertson said changing the rules on governance to increase supporter influence at clubs would be quicker and easier to implement.

Dave Boyle, chief executive of Supporters Direct - the group that promotes fan ownership of football clubs, welcomed the discussions at party level.

He said: "The two parties - one of which will form the basis of the next government - both agree fans should have a stake in the clubs they support and are pledged to work to make it happen.

"That's great news for the trust movement and long-overdue recognition that clubs aren't businesses like any other.

"We look forward to the next government - whoever it is - putting fans at the heart of the game and we will work with them to make it happen."
      Liberal Democrat shadow culture, media and sport secretary, Don Foster said: "Supporter ownership is a nice idea but will be nothing more than a pipe dream for most fans.

"We urgently need a radical overhaul of the FA to better represent supporters and act in the interests of the game.

"Ministers need to promise to look at other issues of desperate importance to fans, like ticket prices, safe standing and facilities for disabled supporters."
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010 01:04:35 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Re: Fans to have part control of club (Wishful thinking or problem solved)
      Reply #4: Mar 30, 2010 01:11:45 pm
      I'm not sure whether any government could enforce such a rule - however UEFA certainly could.  But it would be a minefield.  

However, I'd like to think that everyone should stop and think for a moment.  Up until 2007 Liverpool had a famous mantra from the boardroom.  The club only exists to win trophies.

In the last 3 years, along with many other football clubs, debt, profit and all that nonsense has overtaken the true aims of the club.  It's abhorrent that as a sporting institution our first financial commitment is now on paying interest and debt on a loan we never had and never needed or wanted, at the expense of buying talented footballers to help us win trophies.

It's certainly not what I love football and Liverpool FC for.  I sincerely hope the day arrives soon when we return to our common values and go back to being like many European clubs, a non-profit making business.  Our £30-£40M profit each year should be going on players, not lining the pockets of RBS or two Americans who couldn't give a sh*t.

Liverpool is one of the biggest football clubs in the world. It sells more shirts than any other football club in the world, and as a result we above all others are a club easily able to be owned by the fans.

At the end of the day, it is the supporters who are continuing to prop up the American owners.  We have the power to not only force them out but to force them to sell the club to us at a sensible price.

What we need is a figurehead of our campaign, not Rogan Taylor, probably not the committee of Spirit of Shankly.  Somebody with clout and the ability to get this done.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,653 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Mar 30, 2010 01:16:42 pm
      Well we definitely need an overhaul of the fit and proper persons criteria. Someone who actually has the interest of Liverpool Football Club and not LFC the franchise. Personally I think a small fan stake would ensure this for future stake holders
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #6: Mar 30, 2010 01:25:22 pm
      10 million shares at £25 each.  Maximum one person can own is 5%.  Members of a Liverpool Fan Trust must own 70% of the club.

Vote for a new President to run the club every 4 years.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,653 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Mar 30, 2010 01:33:29 pm
      10 million shares at £25 each.  Maximum one person can own is 5%.  Members of a Liverpool Fan Trust must own 70% of the club.

Like the Spanish clubs. Works for me. I wont be greedy Ill just take ten shares for now
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #8: Mar 30, 2010 04:58:30 pm
      Im not rich- but i will definately have a share!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,878 posts | 6814 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Mar 30, 2010 11:04:12 pm
      Count me in for a share!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Mar 30, 2010 11:12:30 pm

Is this something you're working on JD? - even though I'm skint I can manage £25 for this.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: Mar 30, 2010 11:26:43 pm
      J.D. for President.

Seriously. Good Idea.
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Reply #12: Mar 30, 2010 11:41:42 pm
      hey this is a serious thing I really want to help, count me in!

JD for pres!!!

Quick Reply