Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (5.2%)
      Fernando Torres
      (5.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (55.2%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (23.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (4.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (6.9%)

Benfica 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match thread

Read 44302 times
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Re: Benfica 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match thread
      Reply #713: Apr 02, 2010 06:44:54 am
      I was thankful Carra didn't get a red card, it was so obvious that he tried to clear the ball with his hand it was shocking.
      Now with Insua and Babel gone, it's kinda clear what the lineup is gonna be for next week.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #714: Apr 02, 2010 08:21:47 am
      Just seen crouchino's post in this thread - really good one mate.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #715: Apr 02, 2010 08:55:05 am
      I will second that Ross, what we need now is full support for the team at Anfield and instead of fireworks lets have Y.N.W.A. sang like it has never been sung before.Let us send Benfica back to Portugal with a rousing defeat like they have never experienced before.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #716: Apr 02, 2010 09:37:53 am
      I still haven't, completely, calmed down so just a few observations:

* Johnson and particularly Insua are at their best when we are set up to attack so, last night, they were always going to be tested - when Babel went, the pressure on the two inevitably increased.

* Our set up meant that the pace offered by Babel and Torres was important on the counter and a big part of the game plan - Babel's dismissal saw an end to Plan A.

* In the formation we played Kuyt was always there to cover a lot of ground. With ten men it become even more important for him to do just that - he didn't fail to deliver.

* Torres was kicked all night but still managed to keep two defenders busy - invaluable when playing with ten men - he got my MoTM because of this.

* The Referee brought cuntiness to a whole new level - nuff sad.

Without doubt Babel's dismissal lead to our demise so to come away only one goal down, really isn't too bad.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #717: Apr 02, 2010 09:56:56 am

Is that right?

"Respeita e serás respeitado"
      This is a LIVERPOOL forum   Portugeezer.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #718: Apr 02, 2010 09:59:46 am

Agree with that mate,(gave it a +1)  :gt-happyup:
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #719: Apr 02, 2010 10:42:51 am
      What did Babel do to get sent off?

And from what i've just briefly read the ref was a c**t and the Benfica players are cheating cu*ts.

Disappointed with the result but we got the away goal we needed to get. Hopefully we can tw*t them at Anfield. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #720: Apr 02, 2010 10:51:10 am
      I guess Ryan Babel deserved that. I mean it was a soft sending off, nothing compared to deliberate kicks to the back of the leg but I remember Jeremie Aliadere got sent off against us for something similar.

The refereeing was poor, though. I felt many decisions were either wrong or had controversies in them. Not sure why Pepe Reina got cautioned and why some Benfica players were still on the pitch. I tell you, Portuguese teams are the real cheats in football.

It wasn't a pretty performance but it was a good result considering we played with 10 men for an hour and we got and away goal.
      CS-Bergen
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 77 posts |
      Reply #721: Apr 02, 2010 10:54:35 am
      Woke up this morning still fu***** fuming. That Swedish ref should never been given this match. How the hell does UEFA choose giving such a high profile game to somebody who never done a game outside Sweden before. Even so after making mistakes the whole night, how hard is it to count to two yellow cards within 5 minutes and remember that that means he has to send Luisao off!!  :-[

Personally I blame this one on UEFA for appointing a referee team that shouldn't be there.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #722: Apr 02, 2010 10:58:08 am
      What did Babel do to get sent off?

And from what i've just briefly read the ref was a c**t and the Benfica players are cheating cu*ts.

Disappointed with the result but we got the away goal we needed to get. Hopefully we can tw*t them at Anfield.  
      He raised his hands mate and the red is the only answer, after saying that tho the f**ker who scythed down Torres should have seen red well before Babel came in waving his arms about, the intention was clear either damage Nando or provoke someone and get them sent off and the latter was their target all day.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #723: Apr 02, 2010 11:26:08 am
      Okay, thanks Stuey. Sounds harsh considering the incident that happened just before that. Can't do anything though if the ref is biased.

Just on a good note, it was nice to see Agger scoring. He's put in some brilliant performances the last few matches and he thoroughly deserved a goal. 
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #724: Apr 02, 2010 11:28:55 am
      Its not a bad result seeing that they had 12 players(the Swedish son of a bi*ch ) in their team and also some idiotic fans.In fact I was quite worried about Reina.

But let them come to Anfield where we'll F**k them and they'll go home crying.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #725: Apr 02, 2010 11:32:06 am
      Another European game passed me by in a drunken haze, really can't remember much at all after the first goal ;D
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #726: Apr 02, 2010 11:36:07 am
      Am I the only one who thinks that Kuyt was in no way interfering with the game on our second goal? This seems to be one of the more obscure rules but as far as I remember he did not even touch the ball.

You must be right, coz Kuyt never interferes with the game. haha   just kidding.

I left for work shortly before half time and taped the rest of the game, but unfortunately my recording failed. I hope to catch the replay on espn later tonight here in oz. Anyhow, I thought we looked pretty dangerous first half hour, and I did see the sending off and I cannot believe the ref saw Babels actions as violent conduct. 
      I saw the whole incident as handbags, the defender getting into babels face after babel remonstrated verbally about the gutless tackle from behind. It was nothing more than handbags.
      That decision changed the game, and I really think we will lose nothing with Insua missing the return leg. I saw enough to believe if we send out an attacking side at Anfield we will score, and we can go through.
      Enjoyed Aggers goal, and have been expecting him to score for a while now, and think that he will gain confidence and start scoring more often. I see him as our most improved player this season.
      I am still not sold on Lucas, and I dont want to see us with 2 def mids anymore.
      That offside decision is not what we have been seeing this year and although we were maybe half a step offside on the original cross, the goal itself was not affected by any offside player.
      Luckily, Aggers brilliant goal wasnt touched on the way through or that would have been offside.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #727: Apr 02, 2010 11:40:06 am
      Anyone got a clip of the Babel sending off?  Haven't seen it yet.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #728: Apr 02, 2010 11:47:03 am
      I notice Masch has 18 votes for MOTM - what did he do in the game that Lucas didn't?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,457 posts | 2851 
      Reply #729: Apr 02, 2010 11:51:09 am
      Thought Gerrard looked uninterested again. Nowhere to be seen when Torres got hacked down and Babel got sent off. Whenever our players were losing it with the ref (understandably) it was Carra who settled things down. Gerrard was absent.

Disappointed with Torres. Yeah he got hacked down time after time, but he needs to get off the floor and hit them where it hurts with the goal. He had the chance to swing it back to 2-1 in our favour but missed a sitter.

Babel played alright for the short time he was on. Disappointed he got sent off but at least he showed them passion for the cause. He went over the top though, but he'll learn from it.

Johnson and Insua were awful at defending again. They had one of the hottest properties in football on the wing in the form of Di Maria but our full backs weren't interested in neutralising him. As a result, he put in several decent crosses which if Cardozo had headed in, it would have been game over already.

Thought Masch was poor too. Expected better away in a European tie to be honest where he is needed the most. Lucas overshadowed him completely but obviously not many will admit that!

It's got to improve next week. Exclude the bad refereeing and we still could have been soundly beaten last night. Cardozo missed chance after chance. Carra and Agger were awful at marking up in our box.

So after the sh*t refereeing and the disappointing performance, being 2-1 down coming back to a roaring Anfield is a decent position to be in.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #730: Apr 02, 2010 11:54:29 am

Thought Masch was poor too. Expected better away in a European tie to be honest where he is needed the most. Lucas overshadowed him completely but obviously not many will admit that!

Look at my post above.
      I heard somone say that a commentator on the bbc thought Masch was exceptional, but I can't think of him doing anything of note
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,457 posts | 2851 
      Reply #731: Apr 02, 2010 11:58:16 am
      Look at my post above.
      I heard somone say that a commentator on the bbc thought Masch was exceptional, but I can't think of him doing anything of note

Sorry, was typing when you posted that!

Got to agree with you completely, he did nothing. No classic Masch tackles or anything. Lucas made some decent tackles and passed the ball alright but to be honest both were disappointing. Think the whole team was IMO.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #732: Apr 02, 2010 11:58:43 am
      Anyone got a clip of the Babel sending off?  Haven't seen it yet.

Nope can't find it anywhere...

However I did find him rapping.

Liverpool's Ryan Babel rapping (ENGLISH TRANSLATION!)
      Tadders

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #733: Apr 02, 2010 12:01:23 pm
      How many defeats is that this season - 18 ? F**k me we are so sh*te
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #734: Apr 02, 2010 12:32:46 pm
      Well, after a morning's work thinking about the match, I still don't think we deserved to lose.

I've read most of the posts on this thread, and there's been some good points raised.

However, I don't think we can complain too much about the sending off. At the end of the day, Babel put his hand in the other player's face (twice, I think), and whilst there was no punch or slap, by the letter of the law the referee is entitled to send him off if he sees fit.

That being said, I do believe a more experienced referee at this level would have seen the incident a little clearer, and the fact that Babel made no attempt to hit the other player meant he could have got away with a yellow. In all fairness, he could have shown two reds, here's a ruling I found that shows the Benfica player had to go off:

serious foul play (includes any use of excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball. Examples include a dangerous slide tackle from behind, or an "over the top tackle" in which a player raises his foot so the cleats could hit a player, or a two footed tackle that takes down the opponent. FIFA has broadened this definition by saying that "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play. For current rules visit fifa.com, Laws of the Game. The above quote is from Questions and Answers, Additional Instructions for Referees). The rules now include "Decision 4", which says: "A tackle, which endangers the safety of an opponent, must be sanctioned as serious foul play".

The force with which he kicked Torres, with no intention to take the ball, leaves no other option for me. Interesting to note the studs mentioned in this quote too, as Babel received a flying kick to the head studs raised, and Kuyt got one in the face. The referee just didn't apply the rules of the game correctly, I'm afraid.

However, if Babel wanted to defend Torres, he should have done his talking with the ball and shown more maturity. Even if his "loyalty" toward Torres is better than indifference, he was only going to hurt the team as a whole by getting into trouble.

I've also noticed that people have mentioned we could have conceded more through headers, but I only recall one or two clear cut chances, notably one player who was alone at the far post and headed over the bar. Fair enough, they could have scored another, but Torres should have scored towards the end when the match was still 1-1, a very clear chance, so I still think a draw, whether it be 1-1 or 2-2 was the fair result.

Next week at Anfield, I hope the ground has a strong atmosphere. The player's have proven they can turn matches around and this is no different. With a roaring Kop, however, things would be even easier.

I just hope we give them a real pasting they deserve.

Is Paul Tomkins back with more expert analysis?  :f_tongueincheek:
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #735: Apr 02, 2010 12:34:29 pm
      Good support for our team u got going on there Tadders, Keep it up- its just what they need to hear!!

I agree with Crouchino on page 29- good post- and we need to focus on the positives rather than the negatives- where will that get us??!

They needed penaltys to score- every shot they had in open play was off-target, which to me, means we shouldnt be worrying- It is only half time!!
      Next leg at Anfield, without Insua and Babel- is not necessarily a bad thing- the way Insua has been playing lately- he shouldnt even be on the bench- Carra will play wherever he is told to play- and surely we will now see the Greek starting- which will strengthen our defence!

I feel we wernt terrible lastnight, although i would put my life-savings on Torres scoring when he was one-on-one with their keeper!
      Fair enough sending Babel off- but Torres got hacked everytime he got near the ball- and only one yellow??!
      He couldve gotten seriously hurt- it pains me to see Torres getting abused like that!!

Ok must end on a positive- Second half is at Anfield- 2-1 does not mean we are beat- We will be getting our revenge- We all know what our team are capable of when they need to pull something outta the bag!!

Quick Reply