Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (5.2%)
      Fernando Torres
      (5.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (55.2%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (23.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (4.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (6.9%)

Benfica 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match thread

Read 44883 times
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Benfica 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match thread
      Reply #621: Apr 01, 2010 11:23:50 pm
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #622: Apr 01, 2010 11:24:03 pm
      A result which isn't bad, but a performance which was. Even when we had 11 men.

We're trying to choke the teams in front of us like we've got a good solid defensive base to do it with. We haven't, and it's time we stopped kidding ourselves. Lucas and Mascherano aren't that great defensively, which is a massive problem seeing as they're seen as our most 'defensive' partnership. It's not exactly hard for a half decent team to pass it around them these days and expose our biggest weakness; our defense.

The days of the rock solid Xabi, Mascherano/Sissoko, Carra, Hyypia/Skrtel, Aurelio/Riise and Finnan are long gone.

At least 2-1 down means we'll HAVE to attack them next week. Which will play to our strengths more.

Benfica deserved it today and should count themselves disappointed that it wasn't more. Their own fault though; we presented them with ample opportunities for them to have won the tie then and there. They didn't take them, so we got lucky somewhat.

Oh and Babel... f**king hell that ref's an idiot. The big c*nt. But then why Babel raised his hand to Luisao's face for any reason I don't know. The only thing that can happen there is the ref has to think about why he's doing it. Which will always leave the chance that he'd get sent off. Bit of a thick c*nt as well in that case.

I'm hopeful we're going to beat them next week.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #623: Apr 01, 2010 11:24:27 pm

dont the rules say you cant make any sort of connection with opposing players faces? Granted Babel just put his hands over his mouth to shut him up it was still a stupid thing to do, Babel should know at this stage how f*cking retarded those european referrees are. We were all over them until babel got the red.

Poor Nando was getting kicked all night, at least one of their center halves should have been sent off. They were roughing him up constantly. F*cking disgraceful.

Benfica are the biggest shower of diving w@nkers I've ever seen, it was like 11 cristiano ronaldos playing, must be a portuguese thing!

What was Insua thinking for the 1st penalty. I know Aimar went down as if a sniper took a shot at him but Insua made it an easy decision for the ref, who was looking to do us all night anyway.

Very disappointing night after such a great start. I'm not usually one to point the finger at refs but the ref and ALL his officials were terrible tonight.

Where was the bell-end ref from anyway?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #624: Apr 01, 2010 11:26:44 pm
      Where was the bell-end ref from anyway?
      Mars.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #625: Apr 01, 2010 11:26:59 pm
      I am seething after that and I'm gonna make sure every one of those Benfica players are deafened by my roar next week.

I hope I am not walking alone.

There is no-way you will be walking alone! Those c*nts will be deafened by me too! If I have any voice left at the end I will be disappointed.

Let's f*ckin have 'em!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #626: Apr 01, 2010 11:27:29 pm
      Don't think Insua should shoulder all the blame, when it comes to our shortcomings. There was two scousers out there for us tonight who in different ways, let our team down also.

And you can't blame their fans for making the stadium intimidating. That's what you call proper support. Although I thought the fireworks were out of order but how are they allowed to get them in? And if that happened here, we'd be binned from Europe after the final whistle.

Is right about Insua, i never like to blame one man in a team unless they REALLY let us down. And when there are others not playing to standard, you can never blame one that harshly.

Fans were sh*te though, agreed that intimidation is fine as long as its verbal and all that. Fireworks were not on though, as you said. I said earlier as well that if it was Anfield we would be getting hammered right after the match with UEFA going nuts. Simply not on! Imagine if Reina had copped one in the head while he was standing in position? I mean serious harm could have been done, and serious penalties SHOULD be dished out to Benfica. They should not be allowed to get away with that.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #627: Apr 01, 2010 11:28:36 pm

That's what I was talking about mate. It will have only been a handful of individuals throwing fireworks. Hats off to the rest of their fans, they kept the volume up over our traveling support for 90% of the game. And we're always constantly loud on the road in Europe.

CU*T Collymore.

He said  "Carraghers BLATANT handball"

As much as I can't stand the dogging c**t, it was a blatant handball mate.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #628: Apr 01, 2010 11:30:57 pm
      There is no-way you will be walking alone! Those c*nts will be deafened by me too! If I have any voice left at the end I will be disappointed.

Let's f*ckin have 'em!

Is F***ing right!!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #629: Apr 01, 2010 11:32:09 pm
      That's what I was talking about mate. It will have only been a handful of individuals throwing fireworks. Hats off to the rest of their fans, they kept the volume up over our traveling support for 90% of the game. And we're always constantly loud on the road in Europe.

We don't need plastic flags nor firecrackers nor those stupid fire glares.
      I bet my arse Anfield would be geared up for the game. We'll show them atmosphere!

And yeah, Luisao would contemplate suicide after the game.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #630: Apr 01, 2010 11:32:54 pm
      There has to be consistency, and tonight the referee had about as much consistency as Tiger Woods picking women.

Quite possibly the quote of the year
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #631: Apr 01, 2010 11:34:20 pm
      Quite possibly the quote of the year

I second that. Hopefully Woods, John Terry, and Ashley Cole were banging the sh*t out of the refs missus during the game
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #632: Apr 01, 2010 11:37:18 pm
      Pretty decent result considering we played at Portugal, which always has been a difficult place with retarded fans and referees and we also had 10 men for almost an hour and a pretty below par performance to go with it (again). Even though Babel said he was telling Luisao to shut it to avoid getting in more trouble, it was stupid to raise his hand. Just stupid.

Good start with a cheeky back heel by Daniel Agger and it was Benfica's most the way, IMO. They had tons of chances and we were lucky to concede only 2 goals, with both being penalties.

The refereeing wasn't the best but there's no point talking about referees now.

I think Steven Gerrard needs to go back to the centre. It just isn't really working at the moment. Hope to see Alberto Aquilani play in the return leg. Also Yossi Benayoun. I really have no idea who our left back is going to be.

Heads up lads, we've got an away goal and we only need to win 1-0 or by 2 goals if they score at Anfield. Let's show Benfica that we don't need firecrackers to win games and let's Besiktas these c*nts at Anfield.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #633: Apr 01, 2010 11:37:23 pm
      First pen was soft as sh*t, plus anyone else think david ruiz should have had about 4 yellow cards?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #634: Apr 01, 2010 11:37:38 pm
      Dear Oh Dear that is been brewing all season, sooner or later Insua was going to be shown up big style in a important match ( not that they are not all important), but you could see his confidence draining as the match went on, positioning and anticipation getting worse as he he almost knew he wa sup against a half decent team and WTF do I do. Should have been replaced at hald time, unfortuanately not so easy to do.

Carra at your age you should know better just F***ing brainless.

Despite the 2 pens I thought we did OK and played with spirit. Not worried about the return leg beacause rafa is going to have to replace Insua :)
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #635: Apr 01, 2010 11:38:18 pm
      Pretty decent result considering we played at Turkey,
      We played at Turkey :lmao:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #636: Apr 01, 2010 11:38:28 pm
      Pretty decent result considering we played at Turkey, which always has been a difficult place with retarded fans and referees and we also had 10 men for almost an hour and a pretty below par performance to go with it (again). Even though Babel said he was telling Luisao to shut it to avoid getting in more trouble, it was stupid to raise his hand. Just stupid.

Portugal. We played in Portugal.

Good start with a cheeky back heel by Daniel Agger and it was Benfica's all the way, IMO. They had tons of chances and we were lucky to concede only 2 goals, with both being penalties.

The refereeing wasn't the best but there's no point talking about referees now.

I think Steven Gerrard needs to go back to the centre. It just isn't really working at the moment. Hope to see Alberto Aquilani play in the return leg. Also Yossi Benayoun. I really have no idea who our left back is going to be.

Heads up lads, we've got an away goal and we only need to win 1-0 or by 2 goals when they score at Anfield. Let's show Benfica that we don't need firecrackers to win games and let's Besiktas these c*nts at Anfield.

When we scored, we looked likely to score again. So it really wasn't Benfica's all the way.

Let's face facts here - we dominated them when we had 11 men on the pitch, but it's not so easy with 10 men.

I like the 'when they score at Anfield' bit. Shows real optimism.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #637: Apr 01, 2010 11:40:50 pm

It doesn't matter, the feel the same :D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #638: Apr 01, 2010 11:40:58 pm

Gah, I keep messing Benfica and Besiktas up.

Thanks for the heads up, ;D. Feel so embarassed!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #639: Apr 01, 2010 11:41:46 pm
      I second that. Hopefully Woods, John Terry, and Ashley Cole were banging the sh*t out of the refs missus during the game

:lmao: Love it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,682 posts | 3901 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #640: Apr 01, 2010 11:44:36 pm
      having watched the replay i have to say im disappointed in him. Clearly he should have knocked him out. I mean proper punch. Do the ref also. Torres got kicked all over the park today.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #641: Apr 01, 2010 11:44:56 pm
      How The F**k Benfica had 11 players come end of the match is beyond me.

Is right!

Luisao should have been sent-off for the challenge on Nando that led up to the Babel rumpus, then that David Luiz should of went for a second yellow in the second half.

I think the Portuguese are some of the worst cheats in Europe.

The ref was a F***ing shocker, should stick to spending his F***ing millions.

Thought we did alright overall, very much on top until Ryan got sent off, stupid but not his fault, although Insua had another sh*te game tonight.

We'll tw*t them at Anfield.
      Lotion
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #642: Apr 01, 2010 11:45:57 pm
      Am I the only one who thinks that Kuyt was in no way interfering with the game on our second goal? This seems to be one of the more obscure rules but as far as I remember he did not even touch the ball.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,682 posts | 3901 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #643: Apr 01, 2010 11:47:12 pm
      Sorry cant edit on the phone that was about babel

Quick Reply